1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Attempt to Revive Group Attacker Grinding

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ainz, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    6:07 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Greetings!

When it comes to grinding after 4th job, attackers are virtually forced to 5-6F/7F or settle for heavily subpar exp. Mages shine bright in their options for farming and grinding, easily netting over 40-50m eph in multiple maps.

While I understand that a mage's identity in v62 maple is precisely their strength in mobbing vs bossing, I still think the current situation leaves a lot to be desired from an attacker's standpoint. Particularly from the perspective of ranged attackers.

As such, I'd like to propose a change to ToT, transforming it from it's current state towards something closer to what LHC is (or maybe LHC will just be released soon, who knows.)

To change the situation, I think a zone needs to be more viable for attackers than mages, which requires some/all of the following characteristics:
    - Sparse map so mage ults don't flourish as much, while leaving (ranged) attackers the room to manoeuvre around.
    - High hp mobs, again an obvious advantage to attackers.
    - Matching hp:exp ratios, perhaps not as high as shaolin, but closer.
    - Potentially elemental resist could be factored in. This would further encourage the use of elemental neutral attackers. A counter-argument here could be paladins equally suffering, but those can use lightning charge.
    - Ideally these maps would be big enough to facilitate partygrinding.

I think Temple of Time has great potential in this regard. Of course, this should not interfere with the 999 quest (or, warrant the delay through e.g. substantially increased exp).

I don't suggest fully nuking mage viability in ToT through elemental resist, as that would overshoot the goal. Perhaps there is a middle ground option, though.

After writing this, I realise this is less of a fully packaged 'suggestion' and moreso a start for discourse.

Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:07 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    shadower clone no jutsu

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    12:07 PM
    Changes like this should be done with tandem with something about mages bossing capabilities though imo. Else archmages are just getting banished further as the worst class possible.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of AM bossing buff paired with this :)

5. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    9:07 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    What's wrong with mages having another area to play with?

6. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    Clearly everyone else want places to be that aren't abused by them.

7. Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    7:07 AM
    Endorphins
    Solution:
    Lion King's Castle

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  8. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    What does this even mean? How are mages "abusing" ToT? If you want to grind there nothing is stopping you. There is other content for attackers as well.

9. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    Considering this is your reply, seems you literally did not read the OP.

10. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The changes proposed in the OP do more to hurt mages than they do to make grinding on an attacker worth while.

11. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    If that is your stance, please give examples and/or options instead of just being petulant.

12. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Ok. Here's an option: don't nerf the classes that grind but don't boss so that the classes that boss but don't grind can grind poorly. I don't have any issue with adding new content for attackers or reworking existing dead content for attackers but I don't think nerfing mages or forcing them into Ulu/Shaolin/Skeles improves the situation for attackers.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  13. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    Besides adding new content, and/or without adjusting ToT, what existing "dead content" would you recommend to make a change like the OP suggests for attackers to have a spot that isn't just leeching or 5-6F/7F?

14. SusuGoreng

SusuGoreng Mano

Jul 30, 2018
    Male
    12:07 PM
    SusuGoreng
    Warrior
    Hello guys,as a pledged non leech hardcore grinder.i have a proposal to make,hear me out.

What i have to propose is thing i want how hardcore grinder felt a little win in this game.

I propose gm to introduse a "god"mob that drop 30-50% of all it drop pool when killed but wont work on mages ult.
    with a very low percentage rng to find this "god" mob.make it so low so it be more exciting
    ill be happy to grind and it will surely put a smile in my face when i killed one.
    In this way we dont have to think about mob spawn rate so a kill is a kill be it a good or bad map.

Thank you,pls put u guys tought on this.
    Sorry my english is bad.

• Creative Creative x 2
  15. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Leafre mobs especially Brexton/Rexton, Aqua Road mobs, Deep Ludi mobs. I've also suggested making high level versions of low level PQs like LPQ, KPQ, etc.

16. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I could see Leafre working, some of the maps are large enough to perhaps warrant partygrinding.
    As for Deep Ludi, I think this zone would thematically be a better fit for lvl 90-120.
    Aqua is aqua, I'm fairly impartial to the zone but I don't like it much.
    High level versions of PQs aren't my personal preference. Feels like a fairly custom change that can be avoided naturally by just making 4th job grinding viable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    If you truly want a good party grind map on maps like these then they should not have any kind of safe spots so they aren't easily abused with leechers, dealing with holy symbol might become an issue since it's too strong to pass up on.

Alternatively or additionally the maps verticality should be increased so that mage ultimates are only able to hit on a single lane instead of clearing two lanes with a single ultimate. Something like this would easily allow for better hp/exp ratios on the mobs in ToT. Of course this would be a massive blow to mage viability on the maps.

One could also argue that even without drastic map changes hp/exp ratios could already be improved since 5-6 exists anyway. Though I'm not sure if that would really improve party play.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    10:07 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Sus because we never agree on stuff but also +1 on making ToT a viable place outside of the cancer 7f map. It's completely dead content for grinding since nobody even goes there outside of ML1+5 meanwhile it's one of my favorite places from GMS days.

Please make ToT great again. It's virtually unmulable because of the level requirement+extensive questline, and the 7F fishy nerf's have turned it into pure cancer for a BM.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    10:07 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I mean no disrespect but IF there is a decision made to buff ToT (pls buff) please give it time to see whether or not nerf's are even required. Muling would be inefficient/inconvenient as it is because of the level requirement. I don't see how it could even compete with 5-6 leech to begin with.

20. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    1:07 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    man, I really liked your idea, but I would much prefer the LHC/LKC implementation similar to our neighbors (r0yals), which has exanged, some different quests to pass the map and of course, a lot of grinding

• Like Like x 1