1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question regarding multiclienting "exploit"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GIMORING, Oct 26, 2023.

1. GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    9:05 AM
    Hello,

I was reading through this thread and had a question regarding multiclienting. Are you allowed to use one set of controls to move/attack with multiple characters, all at once, at the same time?
    As an example, when you open a 4th client while 3 clients are active, all your clients will all move at once. Are you allowed to maneuver your characters in that manner instead of cycling alt + tab to press skills/move per individual client?

I assumed that it WAS illegal, but now that I take a closer look at T&C, there is nothing stated that prevents people from doing this. T&C Section 2.6, "Precedents: Client" has the closest wording to preventing people from doing this, but even that is vague. Section 2.7, "General Botting", does not have anything related to this.

My hope is that it IS considered illegal as it seems so far away from what people consider to be Maple. But that's an arbitrary line -- some people may think Multimaging is not Maple, Leeching is not Maple, etc. Therefore, my opinion is not that important. But I still do want to know ASAP so that I can do my best to adapt if it is legal. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  2. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    6:05 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    I don't think it would make a big impact anyways as it doesn't work for attacking. so it's just moving at least... Iirc

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    Just tested it and looks like you're right -- I can move both characters at once but I can only jump (take an action) on one character. Thanks for the info!

But let's say I go super-hardcore mapler mode and program a way to control every client at once with every button functioning properly, via VMware or some other 3rd party software/program. The software/program is technically not grinding for you because you are pressing the button. Is it legal?

4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    That’s absolutely not legal and I’m pretty sure ToS explicitly says so

• Like Like x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    My common sense would also think that it's illegal. And I'm definitely not saying that this is something that I want to do (I want to play the archer that I made instead of having 5 NLs controlled all at once, after all.) However, I did look through the ToS and it doesn't specifically state for this case, unless I missed something. Maybe I'm just being a stickler about it. Thank you for your reply.

6. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    12:05 PM
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The movement thing is a bug, I think. Happens sometimes when you full screen while you have multiple clients up, but only your directional movements apply and only across certain clients. I don't think it applies to all clients consistently. IIRC, a player was reprimanded while streaming for utilizing this in things like CWK first map. This was several years ago.

In ToS, it explicitly states you need to have a 1-for-1 interaction with your character inputs, so if 1 action branches out to multiple clients, then that would fall under the category of botting, I think. Same for individual key presses being programmed to interact with multiple clients simultaneously - that would be use of external programs and would be akin to using external macros which are not allowed.

I think you can get in trouble for things like inputting text macros (easier party management). So if you have a key or mouse macro that functions as a "ctrl + c" or "ctrl + v" and you're using it in game, there'd be a strong case that that could be considered abuse.

8. OP
    OP
    GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    upload_2023-10-26_19-52-42.png
    DrChuchuDrChuchu found it, thank you! I guess there was a more specific T&C, I didn't see it until you linked it to me.

-ovv-ovv I've never done it before, but in a different server there was a person who moved and attacked with 5 mages at once with a single input. I just assumed that he did it via this bug, but now I know that was not the case. He was likely using some 3rd party software.
    Makes sense now. Thank you for your reply!

9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:05 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    you mean windows right

10. OP
    OP
    GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you're talking about the OS, yes this is all in windows.