1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Legends on Steam Deck in Gaming Mode

Discussion in 'Guides' started by AMoonlitRose, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    12:27 AM
    honestly, yes, you should. also, please double check your gamescope settings (no FPS limiter, basic settings), if you are playing on game mode (non-desktop). my maplelegends is quite stable- any instability is because of some steam deck setting you may have on from external plugins or system settings

2. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

AMoonlitRose Orange Mushroom

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    2:27 AM
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I appreciate you hopping in to provide some more info for people! As I mentioned before, I haven't been very active on ML in a bit so I haven't tested to see if any SD updates, Lutris updates, or ML updates have caused any issues with my guide.

Similarly, I kinda cobbled together a guide that worked for me and didn't really bother changing anything as soon as I got it working, hahaha! I am kinda past my PC tinkering days for the most part. If there are any settings that don't need changed in my guide I can always look into updating it or adding an addendum.

As for the game being unstable, I do think it is probably important to note that I have not done any tinkering with my SD. I don't have Decky or any other plugins. I also only run the stable SteamOS branch and don't use the dev branch. I do have the game limited to 40fps, but I do that for literally every game I play on SD and it hasn't had any issues with ML for me in the past.

I will say, the last time I played was last year's halloween event, so it has been a bit! I have been thinking of being more active again soon. Maybe after I finish TotK, lol!

Thanks again for your support! I just want all SD owners to be able to play the Mushroom game with as little trouble as possible. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ShinobiBake

ShinobiBake Red Snail

Sep 14, 2020
    Male
    3:27 AM
    Drogen
    Assassin
    Caffine
    So I used the guide and I can launch ML through Lutris and it plays fine, but when I right click and add it as a steam shortcut it doesn't appear in steam. I tried to add it to steam manually but it wont open through steam if I do that.

4. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I think this is a Lutris bug. Add it through Lutris and try restarting your Deck. Check to see if it is there then!

5. ShinobiBake

ShinobiBake Red Snail

Sep 14, 2020
    Male
    3:27 AM
    Drogen
    Assassin
    Caffine
    That did work! Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Glad I can help! Sometimes the 'ole off-and-on really does work!

7. oatses

oatses Snail

Sep 29, 2021
    Male
    thank you very much for this guide, being able to bash pigs on my steam deck is pretty fuckin cool

i was also running into the lutris freezing issue, but manually creating the games directory solved that for me

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Glad it worked for you!

9. Zeya

Zeya Orange Mushroom

Aug 31, 2021
    Female
    Ireland
    8:27 AM
    Used it during shift this evening into tonight.

Ran quite well, I think their may be some weird micro stutter, but I don't know how many would even notice I only noticed because of my migraines. Probably something that can be mitigated with settings n tinkering with the deck itself some more though. Great guide cheers for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Recently updated my Steam Deck storage to 1TB, so had to re-install MapleLegends.

I've encountered a few bugs and fixed them, so here's an FAQ about it:

Q: My client seems to load things slowly (i.e. characters in FM) and there seems to be input lag!
    A: Change the Wine version to Lutris 7.2 or Proton GE in the Runner Options (Right Click MapleLegends > Configure > Runner Options)

(To get different Wine versions, click on the Folder Icon that appears when you hover over the Wine entry in the Lutris left sidebar)

Q: The NPC names, Guild names, and other things have weird fonts that don't match my character!
    A: Click on MapleLegends in Lutris, click "Bash Terminal", then copy paste and run the following command:

winetricks -q corefonts && winetricks fontsmooth=rgb

11. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    9:27 AM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    It works perfectly! The step 10 freeze also happened to me, due to the Games folder not existing. A simple mkdir in the terminal solved it and the rest of the guide worked straight away!

Any clue how to do duo clienting on this, though? Running in desktop mode doesn’t seem to work.

12. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    You need to right click MapleLegends then select Duplicate. Each entry will be its own window. I just name mine, MapleLegends 1, MapleLegends 2... and so on for each client you want to run

13. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Maplelegends 732…

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Thanks! But how do you open multiple? Isn’t gaming mode restricted to 1 game at a time?
    I tried running in desktop mode but it wont boot

15. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    You'll need to toggle "Enable Virtual Windows" in the game config somewhere. This will make sure every MapleLegends window will pop up, though, you'll need to manually drag each window around in a grid. Otherwise, they'll just stack on top of each other.