1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Legends on Steam Deck in Gaming Mode

Discussion in 'Guides' started by AMoonlitRose, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Forest_Floor

Forest_Floor Red Snail

Mar 30, 2016
    Female
    UK
    8:32 PM
    Magician

Hey there i've done pretty much everything (albeit horribly and messily haha) Only I couldn't find the game on start up and I tried running through Lutris only for it to tell me I need a Esync wine version. How do I find one with Esync?

Edit: Ehh I think i've screwed it up to be honest (used the disable features for ESync and FSync and nothing) i'll probably try it all again tomorrow.

2. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

AMoonlitRose Orange Mushroom

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    2:32 PM
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Esync is a setting under the "Runner options" tab of the "configure" menu in Lutris. It should be on by default. I haven't ever had that issue specifically pop up nor heard anything about it.

Honestly, I need to make the time to update the guide with pictures for each step or something. It is serviceable as is, but it definitely could be a lot better.

You did 't accidentally disable Esync when changing the runner options did you?

3. Forest_Floor

Forest_Floor Red Snail

Mar 30, 2016
    Female
    UK
    8:32 PM
    Magician
    Don't worry I think it must be me, I have no idea really what i'm doing when it comes to this stuff. If I could, if it's not too much trouble, when I try again could I try and PM you for help?

4. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Feel free! If you PM me I can add you on discord and we can try and sort it out for you! :)

5. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Hey everyone,

The guide has been updated with pictures of steps 1-17. I still need to do a lot more general reformatting, but I realized I probably also need a section for background knowledge or concepts for anyone totally and completely new to not only messing with Linux, but also to getting their hands more dirty with computer software in general. As such I wanted to ask yall what some helpful points might be to include--so far I have the following:

1) How to access Desktop Mode on Deck.
    2) How to summon the on-screen keyboard in Desktop Mode.
    3) About the apps involved and how they work.
    4) About navigating Dolphin and what file directories are.
    5) Best ways to transfer files to and from Deck.

Please feel free to suggest anything else that you all might find helpful or think others might find helpful!

6. IN0Sc0p3dJFK

IN0Sc0p3dJFK Snail

Sep 24, 2022
    Male
    3:32 PM
    Bowman
    This worked 100% for me. Ty! Had to redo my games folder, but that was the only issue I ran into. Setup my steam deck controls, now it's lpq time!

7. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Glad it worked for you! I have had reports that you might be able to use the virtual keyboard if you summon it with "Steam button" + "X" so you may not need to have a key board control set anymore. I haven't had time to test it yet, but if so I'll mention that when I restructure the post.

8. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Hey everyone,

Just an update post to note that the version 2 full rewrite of the main post is done!

Hopefully the guide is just 100% better than before and even more people can use it an enjoy it. If there is anything else yall think should be added I'd be happy to incorporate it into the guide.

Happy Mapling everybody!

9. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    1:32 PM
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    This is what happened to me as well. Folowed the guide to a tee. Something I noticed is on the Step 7 on runner options, under wine options your photo shows Lutris 7.2 and mine only has the option for Default (7.0) but I downloaded it from discover

EDIT: The problem is that there is no Games directory by default. You need to manually create this folder. The guide writer is assuming this is default created but it was not on mine until i made it

10. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    No idea why the Games directory isn't there. It was created by default on my Deck. Also, no idea why your Lutris shows a different version. The screenshots were taken a while ago so it shouldn't have reverted.

Also, Lutris has the ability to create new folders and directories automatically if you put them in. That is what happens when you set it to generate the Wine prefix, it is creating all of those folders and directories based on the location you assigned it.

My only suggestion is to make sure your Steam Deck is fully updated and ensure you are using the most recent version of Lutris.

The guide is based on what works on my Deck and others have said it works for them. Sorry you are having issues.

11. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    Hey MoonlitRose. Thanks for the response. So I got it working through your guide. It is a great guide. I am, like you, not a linux guy so without this guide I'd have no chance. I can write up some changes i'd recommend to make the guide work easier for others since they will probably go through the same issues I did.

Another thing is I also got the pop up that Forest_Floor got where it says the wine version doesnt support Esync

12. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    Me niether, im not a linux guy. The good news is if you manually create it and follow the guide that will work. So that solves freezing at step 10 problem.

Ah I see, in that case maybe the latest version shows differently then your photo, is the only thing I can think of. Also even though it uses Wine you dont eve actually install wine through discovery, correct?

13. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I'm always happy for feedback. I have no idea why you are having that issue. I ended up DMing Forest_Floor and to get it working they just said they did it again once I added pictures. I don't think they ever went into full detail as to what they did differently.

Edit: I just checked my DMs they said they simply redid everything and it worked for them.

Also, you don't need to download Wine through discover. I just used the default version that is packaged in with Lutris.

I can check my Lutris version if you want.

Edit 2: I am running Lutris version 0.5.11 currently.

The Wine version it selects by default for me is lutris-7.2-2-x86_64 (default). Hilariously it even notes it as being the default.

14. ActCassy

ActCassy Blue Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Female
    Excellent instructions! Worked 100% for me.

The only hiccups for me (my fault!):
    1. Some Lutris pop-ups popping up UNDER the Lutris window. I just had to click on the flashing-icon on the taskbar.
    2. Copying over the wrong Game Files over rather than the actual MapleLegends Game Files.

15. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Hey! Glad they worked well for you. I'm just doing my part to help all my fellow Deck users enjoy the mushroom game. :)

16. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    Question for you guys, does the MapleLegends window fill the entire screen or do you guys have black bars on the sides and a 4:3 (square) resolution instead of a 16:9?

I have that on mine and just checking to see if its because I did it wrong or not.

Thanks

17. ActCassy

ActCassy Blue Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Female
    4:3 (square) for me. Seems normal because of the 1024x768

18. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    It doesn't fill the whole screen. The problem is that the Steam Deck is a 1280x800 screen and if you set the resolution to 1366x768 (16:9) it has been known to mess up some. So I instead just have it set to 1024x768 (4:3).

You could try changing it if you wanted.I haven't messed with it myself, but if you want to try you'll need to change it in the legends.ini file as well as the virtual desktop size in Lutris. Your milage my vary, also, it will then have black bars on the top and bottom because the Steam Deck doesn't run at 16:9.

Report back if you try it!

19. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    Awesome, thanks MoonlitRose! If I do end up trying I will report back my findings but good to know!

20. lwOvOwl

lwOvOwl Blue Snail

Nov 28, 2022
    12:32 PM
    lwOvOwl
    Marauder
    Great guide! I have maplelegends running smoothly on steam deck thanks to you!

I had the same issue as some other people during step 10 but fixed the issue by manually creating the "~/Games" directory.

I also had the same issue as Forest_Floor with the Esync error popping up when I booted up the game but solved it by manually downloading "lutris-7.2-2-x86_64" and setting that as my wine version within the Lutris configuration (my default wine version was 7.0 when I downloaded Lutris from Discover).