1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Host Events With An Unannounced Length of Time/Reward

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by bienfu, Dec 23, 2023.

How was this event?

1. Loved it

60 vote(s)
    82.2%
  2. Just okay

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. Waste of time

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. This was a massive joke

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TKDumont

TKDumont Orange Mushroom

Mar 19, 2022
    Male
    Canada
    4:24 AM
    TKDumont
    Hermit
    Chroma
    i showed up in Orbis 10 minutes before my HT Run, Realized it wasn't an event for me and dipped. Sadly Missed out on adding my 2 cents to the Scrap Book >:C

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  2. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    1:24 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It’s never too late to fake an angry screenshot

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    10:24 AM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Hahaha get killed by my event lil boy!!!

When I hosted this event first time some people also lost a bit of EXP. No way they were getting refunded or anything fck that bro!!

And it was me who rushed a 20k+ touch damage monster everywhere hahaah SO FUN THAT WAS.

i have the video but i dont think im allowed to share since was filmed from gm perspective

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
  4. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I've had my fair share of being disappointed at mushroom game, but I have never seen such agitation being typed other than from that one time, I, Yes, I also have typed up a storm as such as this but never have I have I called it a doggypoopie.

Thank goodness that you're here Mr Nightzy-wightzy to take the throne in regards to taking this thread as professionally as possible.

Again, thanks for doing such a great service being in staff.

Hey!
    You promised you'd never mention or share that video !! :arghh:

5. Taima

Taima Mushmom

May 23, 2021
    Female
    8:24 AM
    Taima
    Beginner
    Oddjobs
    Didn't expect to post anything but I got quoted. SlimeCool I enjoyed this boss spawning event a lot actually, even changed my vote from "Just okay" to "Loved it" - only after thinking about it, and how I've wished for an event like this one since I first joined. Had no clue what was going on, and logged on mid event.

It is true that I got 1 frame per minute and constant crashes once the bosses spawned (during double Zakum, whatever even spawned in Ludi, the HT head, BFs). So all I really experienced were some CRUNCH.ogg sounds and occasionally a flash of skill animations. This is probably to be expected during mass events playing through wine, though ML has improved performance over the course of many updates... at random intervals, never when performance improvements are actually listed in patch notes, using the same wine build and settings. It is what it is, used to crash during fitness events but that's no longer an issue. bienfu's opening post had no complaints about ML client performance or DCing, so I don't feel this really contributes to the event being "dogshit." MapleF18

Once Auf and PB started mass killing players the Maple client became playable. At that point, it was really fun watching the chaos and collecting deaths! Lost 90% exp on my permabeginner btw, please refund it immediately GMs... :whistling:

It was hard to keep track of the event due to all of the crashes. I didn't see any of the blue GM text in between locations, so relied on alliance members to help navigate. One does get the feeling that this was a spontaneous event idea, especially since players are reporting that they lost exp after being told to store away their charms, and told that they will not lose exp. I think they were counting on GM resurrection, like during other events where players are expected to die. During those events, the GM mentions to not click OK to warp back to town, as in that case they would die regularly and lose EXP. Abagnale did not mention anything about not clicking the OK button, so does that have anything to do with the lost exp? I got res'd frequently enough, quicker than the tombstone timer at least.

bienfu makes some good points. I gotta say for myself that this event was not dogshit. It might have been more like clown shit? Like, a real pain to sit around for too long, but quite a spectacle in action. MapleLegends doesn't give out summoning sacks because the server is for literal suckling infants, just like every game nowadays, so I'd like to see more chaotic boss summoning events. Even if I barely get to participate. I did love the event, but it was also kinda shit too in some particular ways. I get it.

I don't even think the lack of warning about event duration and reward was a real problem. Maybe it could be helpful if events without a reward could be preceded by something like, "Event incoming, but no special reward this time! Just for fun!" The duration? I don't really know. We're all playing a MMO, our time is worthless. Sometimes things are just for the fun of it, and sometimes they aren't fun for everyone. You can't reliably predict how long every event will take, either.

[​IMG]

It wouldn't have been too much to ask to warp every player in Leafre at the conclusion of the event to the Scroll of Secrets reward map. With some extra care and effort, the bosses could have dropped something unique, valuable, or maybe Christmas themed! (Endlessly salty about every seasonal event being late. I understand the excuses, but the lateness is persistent, and posters get butt blasted hard when they bring it up with even a hint of rudeness or impatience.) No-drop variants of these bosses from the lib were summoned, which is pretty par on this server where balance sometimes triumphs over fun. I think bienfu is getting dogpiled a little too hard, but it's easy to dogpile a quickshot ragepost that also takes snippets from a lot of players and appears to misrepresent them.

Keep doing spontaneous events, and also try to keep improving! I had a blast.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    4:24 PM
    petition for monster carnival event. team A kills a pb and a PB spawns in team B map. see which team gets overwhelmed and dies.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  7. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    2:24 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Im dead. I have deceased

8. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I mean tbh, this might actually have been the most ass event ever. Absolute crap, poorly thought out. The audacity of the staff to start this event as I'm leaving for work and unable to attend and get nuked by Auf or PB is inexcusable. I will contact the GM's later to sort out my payment for such a distasteful oversight. I do hope you will strive to do better in the future AbagnaleAbagnale / NightzNightz and start such an event while I'm not at work during the hours of 0100 ST and 0110 ST.

/s

Please do more of these asap I seriously was so dissapointed I had to leave LOL

[​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Im joining whichever side has the 69 smoke mules

10. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    This same event style was done back in 2017, next to Lith Harbor, spawning HTs, Zakooms and many high LVL mobs.
    + same moved into Lith Harbor afterwards.

Don't see the issue with this kind of event ngl, some fun with the GMs that is not the same-usual stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    4:24 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    I remember events like this that happened in GMS. There was no reward for participating. It was just something fun to do/experience. Can't we just have fun instead of expecting compensation for our time?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    No fun, only gains. OnionShout

13. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Y'all just fuming. You only want a GM who kisses your ass and acknowledges your pity party.

Game is game. You could give feedback in a reasonable manner. This wasn't it. Try again later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    These threads always make me miss playing this game as a 10 year old and having 0 grasp of concepts such as efficiency or the expectation of a reward. Time was well-spent if I enjoyed it, not if there was a reward for doing it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Asanagi

Asanagi Pink Teddy

Sep 16, 2022
    Female
    8:24 PM
    Asanagi
    Bowmaster
    Well it was nice playing with you all. MapleLegends has lost another active player due to event incompetence. Don't take me the wrong way, you guys have something great going on here. It is just unfortunate that you can't fix the bad events on MapleLegends. At the end of the day I am at least glad this happened before I donated the $100 I put aside to support this project. Oh well sh*t happens and life is not fair, cheers to all of you guys on MapleLegends and thanks for the Multimagers, see ya when Xmas event.

Satire
    the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices.

YegCZg5.gif

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Oh no! How will ML survive without your $100

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Hiyo will supply it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Syrinz

Syrinz Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Sep 22, 2020
    Female
    4:24 PM
    Xyrinz
    Bishop
    Beaters
    Let the bodies hit the floor

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    While frustration in any type of game content is valid, and we're always open to feedback even when it comes to these spontaneous GM events, this is not the way to express it.

The regular fitness, Ola Ola and whatnot do have their winners' prizes, but there is no expected "participation reward" for this kind of extra event. The idea of grouping with random people throughout the game, maybe meeting new faces, getting to see bigger bosses without needing to setup for them nor meet their requirements, in a "safe" environment (from exp loss, at least) is the goal and prize itself.

Could the exp loss from death in one of the stages have been prevented? Sure, except mistakes happen. This is not an automated procedure, the GM needs to manually set up the map and monsters involved. We will pay more attention, but nobody is perfect.

Could the lack of a final ulterior reward have been mentioned beforehand? Maybe. I see the point of a player not wanting to invest a long time in content that doesn't provide actual rewards (although I personally don't agree with it).

Will future events of this type change to always provide a reward? No. The community aspect of it is the main goal, anything else is discretional extra. Not to mention the problems of awarding anything to this kind of event, where anyone could just join at the last moment, or need to leave right before the last stage.

I will deny this suggestion simply for the way it was presented. It took effort to find feedback to respond to, reading through paragraphs of entitlement in the first post.

Yes, this kind of event is just for fun. Last time I checked, this was still a videogame.

• Friendly Friendly x 15
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Well I'm going to disagree.

This is an exactly acceptable way of providing feedback because I don't doubt that there were plenty of people who felt quite similarly when they didn't need to. Getting the feeling that the event felt like a "Fuck you" compared to other events IS feedback. That's not entitlement. That's just giving you a reality.

This is about as close as it gets to capturing how some people felt about the event soon after it concluded. It shouldn't have taken effort to find feedback to respond to because it was very clear. Be transparent. Don't mislead people. If you find that feedback not acceptable because of the way it is presented to you (emotionally), then I question your fit as staff and your professionalism. Because at the end of the day, it really shouldn't matter how you feel, what should really matter for the benefit for a server is how to make events as fun for as many people as possible, or in this case, not so frustrating.

Sure the event is just for fun, but what is fun for you is not fun for others, and in this case theres probably good number of others. When theres at least a few instances of people persistently asking about a reward throughout the duration of a 2.5 hour-long event and answering with silence, then I find that as close to intentional malice as can be.

You wouldn't host a day-long fun party at your place, and when people ask if there's ever going to be food, you say nothing, would you?

At the end of the day, I really don't care how this feedback makes other people feel. It's not my job to, it's not my job to be friendly. It's yours to be welcoming and understanding of as many people as possible. I don't care about the dislikes. I didn't even say much in all chat during the event because I knew people had their fun and I didn't want to rain on their parade, because I can at least respect how others want to enjoy a video game.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Creative Creative x 4