1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Ironman Mode

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daydreamer, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    10:20 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hello everyone.

I have been playing Legends since 2017. Back then, leveling was still somewhat relevant. There were level 200s around, but not all that many. Now it's not at all uncommon to see level 200s and many players have multiple 200s. With the exception of the massive influx of players in 2020, most of the lower level content has seen limited use. I am thinking of PQs especially. These places are ghost towns.

At the same time, there has been renewed interest in region-locked and ironman type of challenges. Communities have formed around stuff like Viclock, OSSlock, oddjobs, and Maple Island.

I would like to propose an optional new system be added into the game: a group ironman mode separated into seasons.

Here's how it would work: before you leave the training camp and head to Maple Island proper, you are presented with the option to opt into a seasonal ironman mode. If you opt in, you cannot trade, party, or enter instances (bosses) with anyone who isn't in the same ironman season. You cannot use the FM or the storage system or transfer gachapon tickets via the cash shop. You can trade and party with other players who opted in, but not with the general playerbase. However, as a trade off, you get a 50% EXP buff. At the end of the season, which I imagine lasting either three or four months, your character becomes a normal character and you can party and trade with all the normal characters on the server.

50% EXP buff sounds like a lot. This is by design. Consider this: new players and returning players to the server are currently faced with the reality that many of their guildies have multiple accounts, multiple 200s, lots of gear and mesos to move between characters, whole infrastructure systems of mules, and so on. It is not enough anymore to get one character to level 180, which is itself a big task: to participate at an endgame level, you need multiple characters. With the challenge system released, the only "time gate" in the game is (mostly) gone. You can create a viable character in just a few months if you have the infrastructure to do so.

EXP and levels are just not as important as they once were. People are not racing for first to 200. The integrity of the game is not hurt by giving people an EXP buff.

In addition, consider the leech situation. Very few people would be capable of selling high level leech until well into the season. Leech would be expensive, and without access to the FM, mesos would be in short supply.

Of course there are more established players creating new characters all the time. They have little incentive, however, to really start fresh. Self-leech is almost a given at this point. In order to take advantage of a massive 50% EXP buff, they would have to forgo the advantages of self-leech, self-buffs, and the ability to freely transfer mesos and equips to new characters.

Making this mode time-gated and shared would lead to that new server/wipe-hype feeling where everyone is doing the same content at the same time. The first week, people would be doing stuff like KPQ and LPQ. A month later, most players would be in third job and doing stuff like PPQ and maybe some early bossing. By the third month I assume many players would be struggling through bosses like Zakum with limited gear and levels to do it. It would revitalize these lower levels, areas, and PQs, lead to new ways of engaging with the game, and give new players an easy way to get to know the community and get up to speed with more established players.

In addition, time-gating this system would give established players a reason to slow down and maybe do stuff like quests and PQs instead of power-leveling. You would not be able to opt out once locked into the mode, so they would have to wait for the season to end. There is no reason to rush ahead of the other players in the season.

As part of the goal of this system would be introducing new players to the community, I do not think this should be done on a new world. I do not want to split the playerbase on a social level. New players should be able to join established guilds and make friends with the community.

After the season ends, seasonal characters would be totally released from the constraints of the mode (they would be able to trade and party with anyone and use the FM and storage) and would lose the EXP buff. Then a new season would begin, open only to totally new characters.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you think!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    6:20 PM
    I like this idea, and I already have "I want seasonal characters" ideas before seeing this suggestion haha.

But here's what I imagine will happen:
    1. if a season is not long enough, there will be sweaty players go mages rushing leveling up, then using them to sell leech, even multi-client leech, and sell leech service to seasonal chars but charges for meso from non-seasonal characters. leecher buyers will has a better meso:exp rate, and much quicker leveling speed for their mules, and do not need to wait very long to get a viable mules. leech sellers will have better time:meso ratio than the original. This is likely to be the new meta, and what your initial intend - to encourage players enjoy re-creating chars and play together, seems not very appealing compared to this. And even one season is long enough, at the end of each season, leeching to make mules will appear.
    2. if a season is too long, new players who create ironman chars will not be able to enjoy the free market and other restricted content for too long. Diffrent player has different time and effort input to this game, with a time limitation, it's a bit hard to find out the best length for each seasonal to satisfy most players.
    Generally I like the idea of "seasonal chars". But how to make it viable without hurting the current existed content/meta? I don't think there's a way to do it without a new world. In other words, I think a new wiped world is required to try these stuff out without take too much impact on the old world, but as you said, this will "split the playerbase on a social level".

I think maybe instead of directly exp buff from mobs, seasonal characters should have other kinds of buffs. Like more quest EXP, much better PQ reward, some exclusive cosmetics and etc. Some buff/reward related to real time playing the seasonal characters.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    10:20 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I've had similar thoughts, and there is significant potential to what can be done. Personally though I'd rather see it all cordoned off into another world, and for any potential seasons to be essentially events, taking place over roughly a month with a significant exp modifier. The only real connection between the main world would be the event currency you earn being tied to the account, able to be spent on your main for any rewards in the event duration.

You could make all sorts of silly goals and modifiers. Some examples might include removing all PQ level requirements and have the goal of the event be to rack up the most GPQ points, with PQ boxes dropping significant amounts of WS/CS/Stompers/BFC for funsies. CPQ can be added to a season and see how far it can go with ELO rankings. With enough effort staff could even replace all Adventurers with Cygnus Knights for some season and have everyone attempt bosses they shouldn't with level 120 capped characters. For another season they can prevent characters from adding their main stat so that everyone is an odd-job. There's a lot of potential for hijinks to occur and for interesting times to be had with the community to bond over while taking a break from the stale meta of the current game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    2:20 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    It's a cool idea and I also thought about that before. Personally speaking, I think it's gonna be really bad if we create another world, so I'm against that (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I don't know how hard is to make something like that, where the Staff can control the players' actions/trades/parties, but if it is possible, I would rather see everyone in a single world, with the same exp/meso/drop rate, and with the seasons system, even if it lasts longer than what you suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. zaxuwu

zaxuwu Slime

Jul 17, 2021
    1:20 PM
    zaxuwu
    Hero
    P erion
    love this idea or anything similar to it. having a seasonal mode with focus on leveling a new character in limited circumstances sounds incredibly fun and a good way to revitalize the earlygame social aspect