1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Improve Horntail LA DP Visibility

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Subterlabor, Feb 22, 2024.

Tags:

Should it be altered?

1. I can see it every time without fail, shouldn't be fixed (Heavily washed bish)

2. I can see it every time without fail, shouldn't be fixed (Low HP/unwashed bish)

3. I can't see shit in this thing, fix it (Heavily washed bish)

4. I can't see shit in this thing, fix it (Low HP/unwashed bish)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    12:17 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    /title

Left arm animations are often blocked with lines of dpm, but even without it the LA animations (other than seduce) blend in to eachother quite badly.

Maybe I'm pleb but I personally still have never been able to see the LA DP animation in any of my HT runs as bish, even while actively watching with a timer on it. Mid head dispel visibility is great, it's rarely obstructed, and has clear indication of what's happening with ample warning for bishops that pay attention. Bishops already have to watch animations on 5 different body parts while managing buffs+wyvern control.

Mid Head dispel
    [​IMG]

Left arm dispel however... is a very subtle color, and small animation especially during charging stage.
    [​IMG]
    Left arm Defense up
    [​IMG]
    Mana drain isn't so bad, it's atleast a vibrant colour, and very "not" yellow
    [​IMG]
    Seduce is very obvious because even when blocked it's the only animation that is dark purple/blue
    [​IMG]

While the LA DP animation is "charging" it is completely hidden behind damage lines, and the smallest of all the LA animations, Visible only at the exact moment it is cast.

I would suggest either a colour change, and/or preferably revamp of the "charging" stage of animation to help expose the animation from being hidden behind damage, and more visible in general.

Bishop retention is already difficult and getting mysteriously dispelled out of nowhere>>Dead is demoralizing when the mechanic doesn't compliment player skill/abilities but more "what won't hit me while I desperately cast MG"

During 12 man runs when we have a dispel that isn't accounted for, often times nobody has seen it, and we use process of elimination "did anyone see mid head dispel" just to confirm if it was left arm or not, because nobody ever see's the left arm animation.

Note: I do not want to change the mechanic/timers/gameplay whatsoever, just simply improve visibility to allow lower HP bishops to actually showcase player skill+abilities without relying specifically on rng.

Thoughts?

Credit: Animation gifs stolen from GlaceonGlaceon 's god tier bishop HT guide https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/trlnltyys-ml-horntail-guide.50100/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:17 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    prioritize head damage

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I'm not always host sir

4. TennGohan

TennGohan Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    2:17 PM
    Low hp bishop (for now), i usually see left arm dp. But either way, its irrelevant since left head should be down by the time left arm is dping, especially on runs with low hp bishops which should start lh first. What scares me is when everyone is hitting wings and the dmg lines are blocking mid head and you cant tell if mh is dping or summoning wyverns.

5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:17 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The counter play to dispel is to react to skills being wiped, not spamming MG on animation. Seeing animation should only trigger preparedness for rebuffing, not rebuffing itself.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. OP
    OP
    Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I've had multiple instances now where the sed target dpm and/or shit wc on heads pushed LA into dispel early on in runs where it otherwise wasn't preventable. This has happened both with and without me hosting, and in todays case was a 6 man I joined where the sed target triggered LA DP around 20mins into main body.

This run died with me jump casting shield to the sed target on heads, dispelled mid air>dead before I hit the ground. I wasn't joking when I said I've literally never seen LA DP lol.

I've ran timers specifically for ladp and made it a side mission before in runs I've bished in to see the animation and literally never been able to. Only responding after when my magic guard is gone.

My 12 man runs I host I have taken to a different strategy to prioritize bishop and HB dependant runners survival, which removes arms from the equation early on in the runs.

7. OP
    OP
    Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Agree, but this leaves you in the open for dispel>head/wing/etc to kill you, by not seeing your buffs wipe away. I prefer to be able to read the boss as the run happens and improve my skills, and thus my own survival. HT on bishop is actually fun, rng aside.

8. TennGohan

TennGohan Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    I used to wait for skills to wipe but now im trying to just spam mg once i see animation. The only issue with DP is getting "perfect framed", so how does waiting for wipe really change that, no way your reacting on frame 1 or close. Not sure exactly how slow spamming mg is but feels pretty good to me.

9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:17 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    perfect frame is quite rare

that said, i've been perfect framed many times in pb

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TennGohan

TennGohan Mushmom

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    If you got dped mid air, even if you saw the animation it would probably be too late lol. But this entire run scenario is very rare (getting dped mid air from LA 20 mins in). As bish, im always staring at LA for DH so I end up seeing it dp.

So far i've been "perfect framed" 1/32 runs, and i saw the dp animation and lh attack and then just died so fast. But yeah perfect frame is also very rare. I guess if you have a cleave heavy comp on 6 man or any 12 man, left arm could get into dp range early.

11. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    How many runs do you have on bishop? It's certainly one of the hardest animations to see in HT, but with enough experience you'll probably spend most of your time staring at LA anyway for tight dispels, so you get used to knowing what it's doing every single second.

12. OP
    OP
    Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Id have to check, I try not to run often since my bish is hp washing it will over level otherwise. Not a crazy amount by any means

13. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    have you tried getting good?

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    That's fair! It's a trained skill for sure, but I certainly don't think HT (and all of maple) needs to be made any easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You’re misunderstanding the reasoning behind my advice. Spamming mg upon animation is actually more dangerous than reacting after you see your skills wipe. You are increasing the window of time without mg by haphazardly casting and being stuck mid-animation. A better practice to follow would be to rely on the visual cue of your skills disappearing which can happen anytime when dark wyverns are around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Turn sounds on. It's not necessary to see any animations in HT, eyes are better off simply confirming what the ears hear in order to prep the reaction. Trying to watch everything at all times is a trap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    The different body animations have sounds for them? @.@

Lol nice

It doesn't make it any easier per se, if you don't magic guard you're still dead regardless. It just allows you to actually see the animation properly

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  18. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    At risk of saying get good, I can see the animation perfectly clearly and would argue that spotting sneaky visual queues and managing your attention as a resource is as much of a skill as any mechanical tech.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TTKirnk

TTKirnk Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    TTKirnk
    Buccaneer
    Carnival
    pretty much every single action in this game makes some kind of sound (yes there are exceptions such as regular walking or climbing a rope/ladder). monsters and anything they do is no exception, but some sounds are waaay quieter (or perhaps louder?) than others. left arm dispel's if i recall right is a lot quieter compared to lets say mid head doing dispel. you and your squad's own sounds can make this more difficult since yall are constantly making noises that can easily drown out other sounds

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    coach put me in

• Friendly Friendly x 1