1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Anti-Leech System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aquarium, Jun 12, 2015.

1. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    8:06 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Nothing is more fun than being afk and watch a number (your lv) increase...
    Lets mind more about playing and have fun, kim was rigth

2. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    9:06 PM
    Sean
    tldr; lets all be mages LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shendizz

Shendizz Orange Mushroom

Dec 30, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    2:06 AM
    Jelamee
    Pirate
    Aqulia
    So are you suggesting to kill off all player-player interactions?
    Because by making everything untradable, you are completely eliminating the economy, making scrolling nigh impossible, and transforming this into a single-player RPG. Fact of the matter is, all of the end-game scrolls come from Shrine at a low rate. Obtaining sufficient White, Chaos scrolls is impossibly difficult. You want to obtain your perfect end-game weapon? Good luck. People will no longer be able to help each other, simple acts like giving each other pots are ruled out, and you lose the essence of Maplestory itself. And what is wrong with people obtaining deputy stars for themselves? They pay money to get it early- if they decide on that, why not? It's not as if they have an unfair advantage- everyone can obtain it if they decide to buy it.

Why can't a person use the strength of their class for their own gains? And what do you want them to do? All classes have their strengths and weaknesses, Mages are best in farming, NLs and Corsairs are best at bossing, and the players should have the freedom to play their classes to their strengths. You speak of getting leech as having an advantage over the normal player and a short cut. If you are talking about leech, it's not as if they're getting it for free. True that you can obtain XP at a faster rate, but it also demotivates you and eats into your money, so it's not a situation without any negative consequences. v62 Maplestory is challenging, but amidst the challenge people help each other, and your comment completely kills that.

4. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    2:06 PM
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    My main point is this:

If you don't like the leeching aspect, don't leech.

Other people around you leeching does not affect your levels or your gameplay. You play the game your way and let others play their way. Stop trying to tell others how they have to play.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    1:06 PM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    All these polarized responses/answers are a bit silly and we should probably keep this discussion based in logic rather than emotion.. The only reason anybody is suggesting a change is because this version of the game contains overpowered mechanics that allow taking advantage of. This is an online MMORPG with two basic cornerstone functions.

1. Grinding/Training/Bossing 2. Economic decisions

The actions of others effects everyone, especially in a server this small. When leeching is a more viable option than training, it incentivizes paying 4th jobs for levels rather than attaining them yourself, which exacerbates inequality. That combined with the ability to leech yourself further exacerbates inequality.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that this is a 1x meso server, and the only way that anybody but a very small percentage of pre 4th job players could afford 6m-8m/hr only 2 months into the server is through blatant abuse of the vote system.

Very rigorous merchanting or extreme gachapon luck with the small amount of tickets provided is the only way this is affordable this early into a 1x meso server otherwise.

This kind of 'economy' begins to exist in almost every private server that i've played over the last few years, and all it does is turn pay2win into cheat2win, or no life and unknowingly take advantage of those cheating2win

YEY 'NOSTALGIC' PSERVER FUNTIME TIMELINE:
    1. hardworking or no life-ing grinders make mesos through their grinding and want nice items
    2. gachapon system (abusable) cheaters abuse the vote system to deflate&meet demand of nice items, because they want mesos to buy ATK/MATK boosting items for themselves
    3. vote abusers/economic juggernauts buy leech from grinder types, giving them back the mesos and exacerbating inequality

Nobody is trying to 'change the way' anybody plays, we are just pointing out that its based in activity that can be related to money laundering LEL

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Of course it affects others gameplay. Everything that happens in this game affects others since it's a community-based/multiplayer game. What leeching does specifically is removing the competitive aspect of the game.

Hi Kim MapleF8

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    2:06 AM
    And Bishops are still able to farm tonnes of money by gene-spamming at wherever, plus the extra incoming from selling that leech to the poor player who struggles to afford it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:06 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow

9. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop

Selling leech is like selling any other service.

Should we nerf hermits who use shadow meso to kill Bigfoot and sell that service?

Should we nerf sharp eyes and meso explosion and triple throw because people might try to overcharge for zak helms/drops?

This thread is just silly. Just because a class is good at something doesn't mean you need to slap it with the nerf stick. Honestly the whole "nerf leech/genesis/mages" thing needs to be put to rest. Kim already said its here to stay. Instead of trying to force me to play the game in a style YOU find acceptable, try playing your own character and finding parties with like-minded players.

Leeching was very much a part of the game when gms had its first level 200. If I remember correctly, only ONE of the top 5 was a Mage, and not even a bishop. Leeching isn't removing the competitive aspect, YOU are giving up because you don't like the parameters of the competition. You can't show up to an eating contest and be upset because they're eating hot dogs and you

• Like Like x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Well if the parameters of the competition is making someone else play the game for you, I certainly don't want to be a part of it, lol. I don't even consider it a competition in this state. We should have different rankings for people who don't leech (get other people to play the game for them). It's like taking a car to a bike race...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:06 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Hi, I did think you made a good point, if we are looking at leeching as just another economic service that can be bought and sold. However, you're taking it too far because of one important distinction: when you level, the thing you acquire called experience points is called that for a reason. You were meant to level up by playing the game, not by sitting around exploiting a high level character's abilities and partying mechanics.

Sure, I guess in the end how you play the game is your choice, and other people leeching themselves up won't affect me directly. No matter what there are still secondary and tertiary affects that come back and negatively impact people who don't leech anyway though. For instance, supposing we have two chars both of the same level and same wealth. One decides to leech and the other decides to grind normally. If the leeching is too efficient and too OP, then it means the guy who leeched is then far more stronger than the same guy who didn't.

Now that the leecher is stronger, he begins to boss before the one who didn't leech, rake in lots of mesos grinding, and basically hunt whatever he wants easily... he can therefore start outspending the other player and inflating goods. The player who didn't leech will not be able to buy nearly enough things at the same rate. Basically, it's along the same theme that the strong get richer faster. That isn't the issue though. The issue is how the leecher got stronger. If leeching was actually balanced right, it would take about the same amount of time to level as a person normally grinding, with the added detriment of not gaining items because you're just sitting there not doing the work yourself.

And even though you were probably being sarcastic, I actually do agree about the thing about bigfoot. There's absolutely no reason they should have made a lv 40 quest that involves having to kill a lv 110 boss monster that does 30k damage. It's all just piss poor design... much like the partying system that enabled rampant leeching is piss poor design.

First of all, the thread is about nerfing leeching not nerfing classes and their abilities. Nerfing leeching doesn't hamper a class's abilities at all. It only nerfs the lazy-ass person who wants to get ahead faster and cheaper.

Also you know what was also part of the game when gms had it's first lv 200? People who shared accounts so that their character was constantly online and constantly grinding 24/7. Is that fair? Should it be allowed? Well thankfully here in maple legends it's illegal to share your accounts. But hey, I guess with all this insight we're getting into how things used to be way back in the day and freedom to play however you want, we should just remove that rule. And allow scamming. It was totally part of the economy and gms experience back in the day too!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Lel guys, quit trying to kill conversation with offtopic posts in a thread just because the mods/admins only begin censoring things when insults start being hurled. Offtopic, directed, and/or calculated BS is just as bad/offtopic as insults are.

Actually, if you had accurate info about nostalgic maple story or ranking history and the first level 200's you would know this. The only reason the first level 200 wasn't a mage spamming ultimates in Leafre is because the gap before 4th job came out was to huge to be closed. Bishops were originally a support class (which explains their powerful buffs like HS and Heal) so they weren't even close or able to close the gap, but one I/L archmage who grinded incessantly (curryishott or something?) began making huge progress catching Fangblade during the later levels, almost passing him.

13. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop

I leech my own characters, and have only sold leech when I sorely needed money. I was more referring to people who leech their own characters.

Hermits can sell bf leech, hh leech, anego leech, etc.

The point is, the complaints are juvenile. "I can't be as strong pls make them stop"

Not sure why you're bringing scamming and sharing accounts into your "argument", as leeching is allowed and not banned in the ToS, and is a game mechanic. Straw man much?

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Even if you leech your own character you didn't do anything on that character to get it up to that level. You basically just trained your first character and let your second level up without doing anything.

All kinds of exp leech will be nerfed with this suggestion as long as the leeching player is afk/not attacking.

15. NuclearCow

NuclearCow Mano

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    So what do you all have to say about players who choose to hp wash extreme amounts. I don't mean the people like on this server with less than 80 int cause after enough levels it becomes bearable to train yourself. I mean extreme amounts of washing. Those players will require leech for their levels. Are they not allowed to wash to their hearts content?

16. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Hi Umang :D Perma-beginners will have the same problem. You basically have to help with the attacking and try your best. As long as you're trying to attack, even if you miss/do low dmg, you can still get exp from the other person's kills.

17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:06 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    That's irrelevant. Nerfing leeching is not the same as nerfing the class. Point: hermits can kill hh, anego, bf all they want. In fact, without leeching, they get more exp for themselves (unless we are starting to count HS). Their dps and effectiveness is not diminished.. however, their ability to rake in large sums of money off of desperate/lazy players is. Or maybe it isn't. I have a feeling if people leech, it'll still cost the same amount, only leechers will get less for their mesos.

That's just your biased opinion, because you assume all complaints are based on jealousy and child tantrums rather than any concern for game balance.

Not a strawman. Just pointing out one thing: the only reason leeching is acceptable is because it's allowed in the ToS, and the only reason the others are not acceptable is because it is forbidden. Imagine if leeching was illegal? I've played private servers of other games where leeching and dual-client was not allowed. It really changes the gameplay positively.

I've also played games where scamming was legal. That, unsurprisingly, turned off lots of new players and impacted gameplay negatively.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    BF leech, HH leech, and Anego leech are all:
    1. much harder to attain and effectively make happen 2. much slower and less effective 3. LIMITED

The conversation/argument tactic used above is called 'contradiction'

Second of all, I don't think you have any room to talk about fallacies of relevance. Your 'your complaints are juvenile' comment is on the 2 very lowest level's of graham's hierarchy of disagreement. Nobody is strawmanning here, just presenting accurate points that you happen to be getting emotional. This is understandable, as the points we are discussing directly effect you.

19. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png

I'm just going to leave this here so that the rest of the thread can hopefully be absent of silly, immature, argumentative tactics that get us nowhere.

Actual conversation pls. Even if this topic makes you emotional.

Although I feel after being called out about this most of those who are opposed will no longer post, electing instead to attempt to bury this post in the forums :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    I assume people complaining about leech are people who can not do it themselves. Seems like a definition of jealousy.

I'm confused then. You joined a v62 server, but dislike how the "game balance" is and want it changed to not be v62. I really don't understand this logic. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Kinda going in circles now. This is a different server. Not all servers use the same rules. I came here because I was able to use both of my computers and leech my own characters. That's how I enjoy the game. I get a little annoyed trying to keep the game from changing from what made me decide to come here.

• Like Like x 1