1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Status update

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Gi, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    12:38 PM
    Writing a quick status update - sorry if this isn't particularly well written or cohesive, but I want to focus on finishing up on the things I will be listing below. This will mainly be from my stand of view (coding).

Infrastructure

As first, we're going to switch to a different host. The server is better in every way, and cheaper (yay). phnxphnx has set up the new server with more management tools available for us, so we can diagnose issues such as lag better. Along with that, it will be hosting a test server as well. Which is why it's taking a bit longer to switch hosts. Still lacking some proper tooling to control two servers properly and efficiently (which should be done this week). So far, everything looks super nice and I'm excited to start using all the new gucci tools.

Coding
    What's being worked on right now

Along with that, I think the test server is a great opportunity to optimize some of Odin's old code. I'm currently rewriting the classic model of a Login, World and Channel server running in three separate processes. It just doesn't provide the scalability and manageability that could be achieved. In contrary, it has a lot of overhead involved and potential bugs that could be avoided. I'm writing a more modular design, avoiding overhead where possible for maximum performance. This will allow for more flexible set-up, that we can control without restarts.

Furthermore, I will also be replacing the current NIO framework (Apache MINA) to Netty. Based on reading, it should result in something that's roughly 10% faster. Also, the code is a lot cleaner in my opinion, and the documentation is definitely better.

I had already started on recoding how scripts are used in Odin's source (NPC chat, party quests, reactors, transportation, some quests, some portals...). I've re-writing the code that loads and calls the scripts, but because of this change, along with the fact that we'll be upgrading to Java 8, all 1,302 scripts will need to be rewritten as well.

Coding
    Why

These are changes that I'm unable to do on the live server (or with a single server set up in general). The first two are too fundamental, and may take a bit to get working flawlessly. The script updates are simply not possible because of the newer Java version required, and not being able to properly test all the changes (time constraints). Although, all these changes won't make any difference to the game itself, I still think it's important to do them now.

The first change will make it a lot more easy to manage the code, while being a lot more flexible in how we set things up (e.g. it should allow to add a channel that's running the latest revision, and have people test with us). The second change won't require too much time and should decrease latency, can hardly argue with that. Changing the scripting will also allow scripts to be used better, and it's pretty much required to update the scripts themselves because of Java 8 using Nashorn, so might as well do it properly.

Coding
    What's next

I'll be rewriting the GM commands, making improvements to existing commands, and adding new commands (e.g. event commands).

Along with updating and recoding the scripts. I'm planning to add missing parts of the original 0.62 experience (e.g. weddings, Amoria PQ...), after which I'll focus on completing/fixing new areas (e.g. Magatia).

If anyone has suggestions, please let us know. We read everything, and with the test server, we can definitely implement some of the suggestions and mess around with them. We have looked at the suggestions from all of you and are currently preparing to roll out some changes.

Communication

To improve communication about code changes, I've set up a separate forum section, where messages will automatically get posted on code changes. This section will only deal with changes for our test environment and may or may not actually end up being implemented. Be aware that these are auto generated messages, and that some details may get removed before publication. This has been set-up to keep everyone updated in a way that's as transparent, efficient and maintainable as possible. We'll see how this goes :)

• Like Like x 21
  2. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    I'm appreciating the information and all. But I have to ask. Any guess as to when this system overhaul will be completed?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    I have no clue about what 96% of this post meant but im still hyped leggo Gi

• Like Like x 9
  4. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    I would like to suggest this to you, we call it wortel stampot in The Netherlands. It really delicious and healthy too.
    [​IMG]

I think the community has been loud enough on what they would like to see :p. I am really glad to see this post and see legends move forward noticably again =D. Goodjob Gi+rest of staff

• Like Like x 8
  5. Vith

Vith Dark Stone Golem

May 6, 2016
    6:38 AM
    Vith
    White Knight
    Gi, I really appreciate you taking the time to write all this! Even if a lot of people may not understand fully, it's amazing that you post updates like this to let us know that you guys still care about the server and are indeed working on things. I like how you have the forum for posting updates as well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  7. Planisphere

Planisphere Master Chronos

Jul 25, 2016
    Male
    Australia
    8:38 PM
    Planisphere
    Shadower
    YES!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Update: pretty much done with the first part. Still a few kinks I want to iron out (e.g. more logging during normal use, ignore connection errors during shut down as they are expected). Also still might want to refactor some of the current code, but as far as functionality goes I'm pretty happy with the result.

• Like Like x 5
  9. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman