1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

23 May 2020 Client does not work with AMD SVM enabled

Discussion in 'Closed/Resolved' started by geospiza, May 23, 2020.

1. geospiza

geospiza Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Apr 16, 2020
    4:00 PM
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    Description of the bug: (optional screenshot/video):

When running the new client (23 May 2020) on Windows 10 Home (Version 2004. OS Build 19041.264) with AMD SVM (Secure Virtual Machine) enabled in the bios, the client fails to open with the an ijl15.dll error "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine.". This is followed by another dialog "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)."

Screenshot 2020-05-23 12.17.37.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-23 12.17.52.png

Disabling SVM in the bios allows the client to enter to login screen.
    Enabling SVM in the bios reproduces the above issue.

What is supposed to happen?:

The client should enter the login screen, regardless of the virtualization settings in the bios.

Where did you find and/or notice this bug?:

I found this while updating to the new version of the client (23 May 2020).

A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional)
    Extra information (optional):

I am running on a pre-release version of Windows 10 so I can run WSL 2 and use Docker for Windows. Disabling virtualization is inconvenient (but okay, because I can't get enough MapleLegends recently).

Another player shared the same issue (AMD, Windows 10 Pro, OS Build 18362), where disabling virtualization fixed the problem. A separate player (Intel, Windows 10 Pro) had/has the same issue, but disabling Hyper-V did not solve the problem.

UPDATE:
    With the server coming online, there have been new reports of this issue. There are also several players who do not see the virtual machine error with virtualization enabled on AMD (e.g. Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363).

UPDATE 2:
    In case you aren't able to view further into this thread, here some handy information for resolving the immediate issue so you can enjoy the ongoing event.

Here's a visual guide for enabling virtualization on your computer, either Intel VT-x or AMD SVM. Make sure to disable instead of enabling.

1. Confirm your error and settings. Check whether virtualization is enabled under "Task Manager > Performance".
    Screenshot 2020-05-24 00.34.01.png
    2. Restart your computer and mash the button to take you to the BIOS or UEFI options. On my PC it's DEL, but it varies between manufacturers.
    3. Find the option for virtualization and disable it. If you have an AMD CPU, this might be known as SVM or AMD-V. If you have an Intel CPU, this may be known as VT-x. A search engine is your friend if you can't seem to find it.
    4. Save your settings and verify that virtualization is disabled in the Task Manager on login.

If you are having issues running outside of a VM, and are not running Windows 10 Pro or an AMD chipset, please leave a comment. I'd be curious to hear about other weird edge-cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    1:00 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Here to confirm that with SVM turned of in BIOS I am able to run Legends. Running from an AMD cpu. However, this isn't very pleasant because I need to run SVM all the time to work with Android Studio etc

3. nguyenjuliee

nguyenjuliee Blue Snail

Apr 29, 2020
    Female
    meowjuliee
    Warrior
    Hi, my client is also failing to open with the same issue. What do you mean by disabling SVM in the bios?

4. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    The BIOS (or UEFI) does work behind the scenes to load your operating system (OS) like Windows 10. One of its jobs is to configure settings related to your CPU. One of these settings is virtualization, which allows you to safely run an OS in an OS. In order to enable/disable this, you will have to go to the BIOS settings. Note that this requires rebooting your computer in order for any changes to take effect.

Here's a visual guide for enabling virtualization on your computer, either Intel VT-x or AMD SVM. You should be able to follow all the steps to ensure that you have the setting disabled.

1. Confirm your error and settings. Check whether virtualization is enabled under "Task Manager > Performance".

Screenshot 2020-05-24 00.34.01.png

2. Restart your computer and mash the button to take you to the BIOS or UEFI options. On my PC it's DEL, but it varies between manufacturers.
    3. Find the option for virtualization and disable it. If you have an AMD CPU, this might be known as SVM or AMD-V. If you have an Intel CPU, this may be known as VT-x. A search engine is your friend if you can't seem to find it.
    4. Save your settings and verify that virtualization is disabled in the Task Manager on login.

If everything goes well, you should be able to get past the error dialog into the login screen. You will need to re-enable virtualization to continue to work with software like VMWare, Docker, or Android Studio.

You may also find luck disabling Hyper-V on Windows, as reported in #support on Discord. This is a piece of software known as a hypervisor, which manages virtual machines. Disabling it should have the same effect as disabling virtualization it in the BIOS. This SuperUser Q/A describes a method for dual booting between a profile with and without the hypervisor enabled. I can't personally attest to its efficacy, but it may be a convenient option for those who need to switch between modes for work or school. In either case, a full system restart is required.

Best of luck!

5. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    Got the same problem, the thing is I use the same computer for work and/or experiments for thesis work using hyper-v. It's extremelly annoying to disable this BIOS wise every boot, depending on what the day brings. I would use my laptop for maple at this point, but that's a linux box basically, and even if I get wine to work with legends I am pretty sure the same error will pop-up.

Was the ijl15.dll replaced by the patch and if so is it possible to use an older version?

I am aware of all the problems and tons of messages, yet I'd like to suggest a tespia just for this kind of stuff. If you only test the executables and new files on hardware / settings that are most common this kind of stuff will keep happening.

Anyway, thanks for the found solution, will test this out and hopefully it won't ruin the virtual machines I've currently setup.

update: after disabling the virtualisation option maple indeed booted, docker failt to run which is fine for now, hyper-v based VMs (including docker) are still around, just unable to boot

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kitt

Kitt Wolfspider Retired Staff

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    7:00 PM
    FirstAidKitt, KittMakesADK
    Dragon Knight, Bishop
    This seems to be a good solution that works for some, however, doesn't seem to be a definitive cause / solution (my setup)
    2020-05-24 (5).png

7. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    I assume you failed to disable virtualisation? there are many names used for virtualisation support across the chipsets / cpu's. No other option in the BIOS available? virtualisation is known to be toggleable, it unable to being disabled strikes me as odd; I suggest you to check the BIOS again and the CPU related settings mostly.

8. Kitt

Kitt Wolfspider Retired Staff

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    FirstAidKitt, KittMakesADK
    Dragon Knight, Bishop
    The note here wasn't that I couldn't disable it. I have it enabled (didn't attempt to), and I can run things just fine

9. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    This is to be expected, the client-checks for running in a VM affects a small subset of players with a specific setup. Thank you for verifying that there's more to this than just virtualization settings on an AMD chipset.

I think the common factors is Windows 10 Pro. I'm likely an outlier, running Windows 10 Home edition on a Release Candidate (version 2004) to run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL 2). WSL 2 is neat because it runs Linux along-side the Windows kernel through virtualization. Windows 10 version 2004 and Windows 10 Pro share the ability to run WSL 2, which relies on changes introduced in newer versions of Windows 10. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more cases of this error when Windows 10 version 2004 is released later this month.

10. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    I am running the latest stable win10, no release candidate nor any linux subsystem. After disabling hyper-v services the error still persists. Unless hyper-v features should be removed all together, but I rather disable it BIOS wise given the images and data I rather keep.

11. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    You are running Docker for Windows though, which means you are on Windows 10 Professional or equivalent. I tried installing Docker less than a week ago on the Home edition, but it told me I needed support for WSL 2.

If you're curious what version of Windows you are running, you can open the run prompt (Win + R) and type "winver". You should get a screen like the one attached.

Screenshot 2020-05-24 12.52.44.png

12. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    upload_2020-5-24_21-55-10.png
    Ah yes, win10 pro it is

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Difference

Difference Red Snail

Mar 20, 2020
    Male
    Difference
    Beginner
    As a data point, I am running insider preview (version 2004) with virtualization enabled, running WSL1, hyper-v disabled, with no issues on the client.

upload_2020-5-24_13-5-27.png

14. Legoshi

Legoshi Red Snail

Dec 3, 2019
    Male
    Legoshi
    Cleric
    Surface books have a limited UEFI instead of a BIOS with no feature to disable virtualization. Disabling Hyper-V doesn't seem to solve the issue as the task manager still indicates that Virtualization is enabled.

15. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    I'm sorry about your situation. Surface books look to only come in Intel flavors, so the problem with misidentifying the hardware as running in a VM must be related to a particular version of Windows. If you don't mind sharing details about your system, the information may help with the eventual resolution of this client bug. Your CPU manufacturer (Task Manager > Performance e.g. Intel Core i5) and your Windows version (Win+R, open "winver" e.g. Windows 10, Home Version 2004, OS Build 19041.264) are relevant.

There's a third workaround that involves disabling Virtualization Based Security, also known as Windows Defender Credential Guard. This uses virtualization to protect credentials when logging into a network (like a work-place), designed for Enterprise and Server editions of Windows 10. Presumably, these protections are now available in new editions of Windows. The original comment by armedwaffles (thanks!) in the #support channel can be found [here]. This guide to disable Credential Guard in Windows 10 may be useful, as well as the official documentation from which the comment is based on. Your mileage may vary, I haven't tried either disabling Hyper-V or Credential Guard myself. Please let us know how it goes.

There's still hope that VM detection to deter multi-client during boss runs can be improved in the future. Until then we'll have to make do with workarounds. It's a good long-term policy, even if there are implementation kinks to work out in the short-term.

16. lacabin

lacabin Blue Snail

Apr 2, 2020
    Female
    lacabin
    I/L Arch Mage
    Unsure if this belongs in this bug thread, but I actually am on a Virtual Machine (Parallels VM, but also tried VMWare), running Windows 10 (since my host is MacOS Catalina). I'm completely unable to launch ML because of this bug ("Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." dialogues). Since I'm on a virtual machine, I'm unable to "disable virtualization in BIOS/Hyper-V", so there is no way to circumvent this bug on Windows 10 on a VM. Please let me know otherwise if this is possible...

As a side note, I have also tried running MacOS Mojave on a VM (both Parallels VM and VMWare), but am somehow unable to run the (newest version - May26/27) ML application. That is, when I double-click on the application (or right-click and "Open"), the app does not run. I've tried all the MacOS Installation Guide fixes (refreshing the wrapper, changing between MacDriver/X11, changing HDClient to 0 in Legends.ini, restarting laptop, re-downloading and reinstalling ML). I did not yet, however, try the fix suggested for "IF You're on Mac OS 10.7 or Older". Regarding this issue, I've heard of at least one other user who has gotten ML to work on MacOS Mojave on Parallels VM, so I'm unsure if this bug is related to the virtualization issue. Hope this additional info is helpful.

17. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    Thanks for the detailed additional info. You're running into a separate, but related issue ("cannot run inside of a VM" vs "cannot run outside of VM because it looks too much like a VM"). It seems like this intentional based on the error message.

It's unfortunate that 32-bit applications are no longer supported in MacOS, and that virtualization is currently not an option. If you own your hardware, I suggest Boot Camp to install Windows 10 or dual-booting Catalina with Mojave. If you try it out, I'm sure others would be interested in your results.

18. Acolis

Acolis Mano

Jan 20, 2020
    Male
    2:00 AM
    TheSandman
    Cleric
    Perion
    Can confirm same issue:

MSI tomahawk b450
    Amd ryzen 3600
    Windows 10 2004

19. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    I can actually run with or without SVM now.

20. ian2000

ian2000 Snail

Nov 3, 2019
    Male
    ian2000
    Hi I am also having this error running the client inside a VM (host is Windows 10, VM is Windows 10 using VirtualBox) :(

I have tried just about every combination of suggestions on here. The one I don't quite understand is the disabling of the Virtualization on the host (in my case it was called SVM in the BIOS). When I disable this, my virtual box machine won't even start saying something like "Can't start because virtualization is not enabled on host". Am I doing something wrong?