1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Attracting more players. External and internal changes needed.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Vith, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Vith

Vith Dark Stone Golem

May 6, 2016
    7:49 AM
    Vith
    White Knight
    Deep down, I think we can all agree to the fact that MapleLegends is a great server. People leave for certain reasons – MapleStory down to the core is indeed a very social game, especially with lower rates. When one good friend takes leave, it can create a domino effect. The root of this problem is that while MapleLegends is undoubtedly great, the lack of endgame content is a core problem. This problem has been discussed to death, so this thread will not get into that. Instead, however, I will list my thoughts and solutions to attract more people so that endgame can be more appealing and competitive again.

First and foremost, I believe external changes need to happen before we can start gathering new players. MapleLegends is very unique in the fact that it is VERY similar to how MapleStory used to function – most things are without glitches or bugs (MapleLegends is the most stable and most things work how they should compared to MOST servers). The MapleLegends team REALLY needs this fact to be known to people who are curious and visit the website.

As it stands, the website and forum designs that MapleLegends uses are TOO similar to other private servers. MapleLegends NEEDS an overhaul, something to stand apart from other servers while providing valuable information and proof that MapleLegends is indeed very professional, content wise and staff alike.

Another big issue is staff communication with the players. This isn't just limited to events – rather, it is imperative that the team expresses current updates being worked on, the progress of things, and also thoughts on changes. The staff also has to be willing to listen to the players in the same respect. If the staff thinks that the current state of the game is completely fine and changes don't need to be made, I respect that. However, to truly become successful with more players joining and staying, it is crucial that if a request or suggestion is reasonable for the staff to notice that and give thoughts on the matter.

I have a few more ideas, but I think I've rambled on long enough with external changes. I'm going to list some of the internal changes I think are needed for MapleLegends to become more successful (in a condensed list for easy readability, and so that the post don't drag on for too much longer).

• NX points for staying logged on each hour. 500 points can be awarded each hour, with a cap of 5k - 10k limited to each day (server time).
    • NX points and rewards for each job advancement, once per account. The points can vary based on what job advance it is, and the rewards can vary too. A good reward example are gachapon tickets.
    • Permanent pet equips. We have shops that are permanent that I agree with, but pet equips (such as meso and item loot) being permanent is something that I think is important as well.
    • Custom drop system for specific 30% and 70% scrolls for better availability. This information should be easily and publicly available. This makes it so that gachapon isn't entirely endgame based.
    • I'm going to be flamed for this, but the quest EXP should be adjusted to x5 or x6. The meso and drop rates should be adjusted to x2.
    • Like hunting gachapons tickets, maple weapons should have a global drop rate from all mobs and not just limited to events. The drop rate of these maple weapons should be exceptionally more rare than hunting gachapon tickets for balance.

If I have more thoughts I'll add them to the list, but this works for now.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    1:49 PM
    Demure
    MapleF8

• Like Like x 2
  3. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    Quest exp is already 3x to encourage people to do them instead of purely grinding. I think just a lot of the "older" quests from really early versions give crap exp. Maybe those can be bumped? The newer ones like the ones in Nautilus give quite decent exp at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  4. beamcasting

beamcasting Capt. Latanica

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    well guys, time to afk all day every day MapleF8

• Like Like x 6
  5. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    2:49 PM
    Sean
    no to all suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Vith

Vith Dark Stone Golem

May 6, 2016
    Vith
    White Knight
    You have a point, this could work better. A lot of quests really aren't worth doing IMO.

That's the point. TriHard

• Like Like x 1
  7. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    you are asking for more NX rewards when 5k per vote is clearly much enough, thats my opinion, man

• Like Like x 1
  8. pannenkoek

pannenkoek Horny Mushroom

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    xBowMaster
    Marksman
    GoedVerhaal!
    You are basically asking for more EXP, NX, DROPRATE.
    Resulting in an easier gameplay.
    Which is not the reason why most of the players come to Legends.

I for example enjoy the long grinding times, such that it actually feels as an achievement.
    Also for nx and drops, they feel as an achievement if you get a shinobi bracer for example.
    But if everyone has like 2/3 shinobi bracers in their inventory the game will get bored really fast.

It is already an awesome adjustment that there are gacha hunting tickets which give a fairly high rate at better scrolls/gear.
    ~Kinda my opinion on this

9. L1NK

L1NK Slime

Jul 25, 2016
    Male
    7:49 PM
    L1NK
    Beginner
    Tbh,I wouldn't even be playing this server if the quest exp rate is 5/6x.The reason I left the previous server is because I felt like 4x exp was 2much,ruining the nostalgia.

10. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    Yet people on gms would go crazy when 4x exp occurred (2x event + 2x card)

11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:49 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The opening of your post was good, but these suggestions not so much. Let's see, for this first one, it's not a bad idea so as to attempt to get more people playing but only if these points are rewarded for active play. Otherwise we'll probably just have even more people AFKing, and the only thing worse than a whole server full of AFKers is assuming someone is AFK when they aren't. Without a well-thought-out system for points for logging in, it could very well wreck the server more.

Another thing to point out is that when people accrue a lot of NX points, most of it just starts getting funneled to gachapon anyway, and I still don't think anyone is happy with gachapon the way it is in its current state. At this point, I feel like I'd rather add all gach items to mob drops and remove the system entirely.

I just have to ask: why? People are already motivated to get their next job just for the sake of getting it, the new skills, and the worldwide announcement. All this does is give people free NX points for doing nothing out of the ordinary.

If it's important to you, buy it normally. Permanent equips are only available as cosmetic items which can only be bought with donor points (and a few from participating in events). Permanent pet equips will introduce pay2win aspects, or worse yet if you want perm equips with regular vote points, you're just eliminating one more way to use up one's NX in the long run.

I 100% agree with this. The whole problem with gachapon is that we as players want certain items but then for many, many types of essential scrolls we'd need to make godly gear, the only way to obtain them is through a completely luck-based, non-gameplay-based slot machine.

What I find even more annoying about not getting the things I want is dealing with all the things I don't want. I was kinda hyped to play when the new cosmetics came out. Then I did 35 gach tickets, looked at the amount of stuff I'd have to figure out the price of and sell, and I suddenly didn't feel like playing anymore.

No.

Maple weapons are really OP.

Right. They go crazy when there's increased exp events, and then what happens when the event is over? That's right. Drama from people who missed the event or couldn't use much of it. And then everyone didn't see the point in playing anymore and wouldn't log on until the next 4x exp.

Events that increase the rates on the server are like heroin. First it seems you get a high, then you crash and you are way worse off. It's very bad for the server health.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Distance

Distance Dark Stone Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    I agree that visual steps need to be taken in order to impart the server with the grandiosity its content deserves. This cannot and should not only be achieved graphically but also by literary means, meaning that there should be more paragraphs around the website explaining its features. The feeling you get when entering the ML website, IMO should not be anything like classic private servers (rates to the left, login on top of that, etc), it should be unique.

e.g: when entering the vote segment there should be an explanation as to why it is beneficial to the server to vote. Also, when entering the download page a short guide with images should be presented near the download links to make things more friendly.

I don't think this can be a staff only thing, this should be done by people that are very good in writing while the writing should be accompanied by graphics reviewed by a team of critics.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    Weren't you talking about endgame content at first? None of the things in that list have anything to do with making endgame more appealing, if anything they will make it less appealing by making it easier to get stuff. Your whole post seems like a politican first talking about the things people agree on only to then go into something completely different that only you want.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Vith

Vith Dark Stone Golem

May 6, 2016
    Vith
    White Knight
    Thank you everybody for your opinions and input, a lot of you have very valid concerns and disagreements with my personal suggestions. One thing that I think we all can agree on, is that changes DO need to be made and applied before MapleLegends can attract a bigger audience and achieve more active players.

15. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    Demure
    That perfectly sums up this thread, the few threads about same thing before.... and probably next threads about same shit that are incoming.
    Thx.

Didn't change anything, we know as much as we did before. People are just wasting time on typing here what they are dreaming about.

The most important thing we should learn from this thread is that if you didn't even get high enough attention from GM's to make them reply here, then 100% none of your suggestion will be considered as future change for this server.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I doubt it, just because there's no response from the staff doesn't mean they aren't following the discussions and using the ideas/debating amongst themselves. They obviously aren't going to approve of the suggestions made here and implement them fully, but maybe there's something in there that can be used, even if just as a direction which way to go.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Buza

Buza Orange Mushroom

Aug 11, 2016
    YES to all, JUST YES!
    In addition, I think monthly special events which made by special team or just staff could be very attractive. Just make creative events that will attract people for sure :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    12:49 PM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    Can totally see people voting, afking in fm then logging off after they have their NX. FeelsBadMan.

The other ideas are pretty solid. +1 c:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phantom

Phantom Horny Mushroom

Mar 27, 2016
    6:49 AM
    Allow me to bring a bit of history. We've attempted requesting features many times. You're mentioning of farmable scrolls? Asked for hundreds of times, and yet, it never happened. If my memory recalls, when you VithVith were a new player, you told all the higher level players to not complain and that we should appreciate the server. Fact is we do appreciate the server, but we do not like how our ideas are ignored or how the staff didn't put the effort to attempt to try the idea. Ironically, you're asking for some of the things the former players have asked for themselves. In addition to the rest of your ideas, some do not fit the criteria of a "nostalgic" server. Reward of advancing is already enough, no need for things such as gach tickets. The first time someone advances to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th job on this server is euphoric enough. Adding maple weapons everywhere would cause normal items that people used to be essentially worthless, and would eventually lead the maple item to be worthless itself. Quest exp is fine as it is. Questing was never meant to be the main way to level, elsewise Neckson would have made enough to get you to 200. Now, as for your NX ideas, you should know very well that it would be too easily abused. The permanent pet and item things are fine, but the "gaining NX for being on" is not. If people afk, they're being rewarded for doing NOTHING, which Kim has been keen on preventing.

Now, let's talk about whats preventing the server from growing. In my view, the server dug it's own hole with a vicious cycle. It started with tons of players with a fair amount of items. One could get what he or she needed, at a fair price. The gachapon change is what started it all. Players would be struggling between either hp washing, or getting a chance to get the item they needed. The rates were heavily weakened and left us with an economy of scarcity. Veteran players had mesos at this point, but few ways to spend it. New players suffered with some insane prices. We were missing tons of items and had no idea where to get them. It didn't help that everyone ended up gaching at Kerning for months on end as the heavily expensive thief class was sure to pay for these items. Without a way to get stronger gear people began quitting, but this did not affect our numbers. It was at some point later around this Feb.-March that the damage of the cycle began to take place. We first lost many of our veteran players who carried a significant amount of money and were the ones buying the items as they were usually the ones hp washing. With no one to buy the items, some items began to flood while other items were still missing from the server. Because of no one to buy the items and the overflowing of no longer needed items, meso flow no longer existed. More and more people began to quit as they could no longer progress, by the means of gearing up or gaining mesos, and left the newer players with a harsh economy, weakening their progression and leading them to the same path. This lead to the cycle and lead to another effect. With a dying server it scares away many potential new players we may have. As you may have noticed, the number of people joining the forums have significantly tanked. The recent vote abuse bans lead me to believe that many people are doing so in an attempt to get items, because there are none. While I do appreciate Gi's gach revamp, I'd would simply like to state, it's not enough. We've asked for farmable scrolls, give us a shot, and do it. I myself have checked into adding items into the drop tables, and I can truthfully tell anyone, its not as difficult as you may think. The only difficult thing is choosing where to put them. I hope that this is taken into consideration when attempting to improve the server.

• Like Like x 6
  20. ragecomic1

ragecomic1 Orange Mushroom

Apr 16, 2016
    Male
    6:49 PM
    Dankestmeme
    Assassin
    Bro. I think the 500NX per hour is crazy. I dont think ppl have that much time to spend on the game. They'll get bore for that. Like 10hours of playing just equal 1 vote.

• Like Like x 1