1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner's Guide to Starting Out and Making Money

Discussion in 'Items & Mesos' started by Lionheart, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    7:54 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Voting

First thing is first. After you register your account, log in to the Maple Legends website. Then click the Vote option. You can vote once every 24 hours. Each time you vote, you will receive 5000 Vote Cash. If you reach level 45, you will be able to gachapon. But even before that, you will probably want to spend your NX on pets, hair styles, cosmetics, or... I also recommend expanding your inventory a bit.

vote.png

Remember: one vote per person, per day. Any more votes per person is considered vote fraud/abuse. This could get the server in trouble and remove them from the rankings. And also, to everyone else who only votes once a day, it gives you an unfair advantage. Remember this.

Character Creation

After you make your account and vote, you'll want to dive right into the game! But not so fast. First you'll want to come up with a cool name for your character. And also after fiddling with the minimal visual customization options you get, you need to roll your stats.

This is also important. If you mess up your stats now, it means you will have to waste your vote cash undoing your mistake later. Take the 5 to 15 minutes it takes to get the stats you need, and save yourself some days of lost vote cash.

For pirates, bowmen, and warriors, you need DEX and STR. When you roll you want to see 4 luk and 4 int.

For thieves, you need DEX and LUK. When you roll you want to see 4 str and 4 int. If you want a str bandit, some STR is ok too.

For magicians, you just want INT. Or you can go for the "normal" build, which I do not recommend. Aim for at least 11 int. Or if you must, get 4 dex and 4 str on your roll. But trust me, simply aiming to go full int is a far better choice.

As for me, I chose to make a bowman.

Maple0124.jpg

Some people might also say you need to add points to INT regardless of your class so that you can HP wash later. But this is a guide to starting out and making money, not creating the most uberhax pro character that becomes fully effective at around level 15x but is gimped before then.

Maple Island

If you know what you are doing, the beginning of the game is a walk in the park! Select your newly-created character, and enter the game. You start off next to a NPC. Enter the training grounds and go past all the useless scenery and movie screens.

In the next map you see Roger. Talk to him, and take his quest. Open your inventory, eat Roger's Apple, then talk to him again. You get:

3 Apples
    3 Green Apples
    10 exp

Next, continue along and talk to Todd. Take his quest too. All you have to do is kill a fake Drumming Bunny and a fake Leatty, loot their drops, and take them to Peter (further along the way). You get 10 more exp, and now you are level 2.

Depending on your job, you'll distribute your Ability Points differently. Warriors should add STR. Pirates, Bowmen, and Thieves should add DEX. Magicians add INT.

As for your skills, the beginner skills really don't matter that much, but just starting out, Nimble Feet is a decent choice. Three snails can help out those magician-to-bes.. and everyone else can just get Recovery for all I care. It really doesn't matter much either way, though.

Mages: for an easier time as a mage, leave Three Snails at level 2. Blue snail shells aren't used for anything here, so you can throw all the blue snail shells you find for extra damage. After you complete the New Life quest, increase it to level 3 if you want.

Now that your AP and SP are distributed, leave this waste of a map by talking to Heena. Then talk to Peter's identical twin brother, Peter, who is waiting just outside. Now you are able to explore Maple Island.

Press Q.

Maple0126.jpg

This is the quest window. You will want to check this frequently. Do you want to know the secret to succeeding in this game and not going broke before hitting level 30? Do the quests.

Starting with Dr. Robin. Just talk to him. If you already distributed your AP and SP, you are practically done. Do the quiz.

• You can add to HP and MP (though not recommended yet).
    • Magicians job advance at level 8.
    • Third Question: Scroll down and choose thief.

If you are new to maple or it's been a long time, you might want to pay close attention to what the NPCs say, and maybe read through all the info Dr. Robin provides. There are stat requirements for attaining your 1st job advancements. If you fail to meet them at level 10, you will have to level up more as a beginner.

Anyway, for finishing Dr. Robin's quiz, you will receive 40 exp (and another level). Move a bit to the right, and talk to Sam. Sam wants you to kill 10 snails. Might as well kill them right here on this map! You'll notice that they drop snail shells, coins, and maybe some other stuff. I have one other tip to help you succeed: pick up everything!

Now that you've killed 10 snails, leave this map and cross the next two maps, ignoring the other snails. You'll see Maria standing close by. Turn in her quest for 60 exp and another level! In addition to that, she'll reward your completing that quest with ... another quest! You'll want to make your way to Amherst and deliver a letter to Lucas now. Continue to the right, and take the upper path. You'll notice next to the portal is a big sign that says "Amherst" with a big arrow pointing towards it.

In the next map, you'll see Yoona. Talk to her, and choose her quiz on shopping. She wants you to find a Beginner's Shopping Guide in the cash shop. Look at the bottom right of your screen for a big red button with a stack of gold coins on it that says SHOP. Click on it.

Now the problem is, you have to find an item in a random place in this shop. That's like finding a needle in a haystack! Right? Wrong! Simply use the search feature, located near the top-right corner of your screen!

cashsearch.png

Once you click that button, simply type "guide" into the search box. You will easily find the item you need. "Buy" the Beginner's Shopping Guide, then exit the cash shop (bottom-right corner). Now that you have the guide, talk to Yoona again, and you will be able to take her quiz.

• You can expand your inventory (and I recommend you doing this later).
    • You can equip cash shop items and normal items at the same time. They are cosmetic items.
    • Gachapon tickets last 30 days. I don't know why, but don't buy any until you are level 45 at least.
    • Choose 35 on the Memo question. I don't even think they exist here.
    • Finally, a Pillow can't be equipped with a Dagger.
    Maple0127.jpg

Now you are given a choice. 30 Blue potions or a stolen fence. Here's some facts to point out: Blue potions cost 200 mesos each, and you will definitely be burning through a lot of these as you kill monsters. Once you get your 1st job advancement, that is. On the other hand, a stolen fence can be bought for 2,000 mesos, and not every job can use them. 30 blue potions at 200 mesos each, or a nearly useless item you can sell to NPCs for a measly 1k. Do the smart thing and choose the blue potions.

Yoona also has another quest: she wants you to kill Blue Snails and Shrooms. Do this quest while you are here. Also, just keep killing the shrooms and snails until you get 10 of their mushroom spores and 10 snail shells (the green ones). If you find yourself running out of shrooms to kill, you can always go to the northwest map called Mushroom Garden. Alternatively if you want snails, the northeast map is the Snail Garden.With this quest done, you gain 100 exp and are probably level 6 by now.

• If you are going for a Warrior, just keep adding to STR.
    • If a Magician, just keep adding to INT.
    • If a Bowman, just add DEX.
    • If a thief, get 25 DEX, then add the rest to LUK.
    • Lastly, if you are making a pirate, it depends. All pirates need at least 20 DEX, and while this is a gunslinger's main stat, a Brawler's main stat is STR.

When you are finished here, continue to the right. You are now in Amherst! Talk to Rain and she'll give you a short explanation and also a quiz:

1. Open Inventory with I.
    2. Yes, equip items by double-clicking.
    3. Open Equipment with E.
    4. Pick up items with Z.
    5. Magicians job advance at level 8.
    6. Every level you get 5 AP.
    7. To leave Maple Island, you go to Southperry.

Answering all these questions gets you 62 exp. The next NPC you see is Pio. Talk to him, and he asks you to collect scraps from the boxes you see scattered around. All you need to do is attack them with your normal attack (like how you have been fighting monsters).

Maple0129.jpg

You won't get 10 boxes all in one go, so after exploring around the town a bit, you'll find Lucas, who you were supposed to deliver that letter to. You get:

5 red potions
    5 blue potions
    40 exp

Talk to him again, and he'll tell you to keep going east and to talk to someone named Mai. Entering the house on the way also contains 2 boxes. Talk to Mai and she has two quests. New Life asks you to get some items:

10 snail shell (from snail)
    10 red snail shell (from red snail)
    10 mushroom spore (from shroom)

If you've actually been picking up items and doing quests like you were supposed to, you should have a lot of these already. The other quest she has is her training sessions. Start them, and she gives you a razor. First she asks you to kill 5 stumps and collect 3 tree branches. Unless you get unlucky, you should have it all in 5 kills.

For this you get 150 exp. Next she asks you to kill 5 red snails. On this map red snails can be a pain to find, so you might want to take the northwest warp over to the Tomato Field and slaughter everything you see. Now is also a good time to finish getting those red snail shells for the New Life quest.

Once you are done, return to Mai. The New Life Quest will get you 100 Red Potions and a hat that either adds to your HP or MP. Either way, it should help a little. Mai's second training will net you 175 exp, 10 Eggs, and 10 Oranges. Now she wants you to kill 3 slimes and get a squishy liquid. Go ahead and do that. More slimes can be found in the top-middle warp. If your character is particularly weak and having trouble taking out these mobs, you can always stand on a nearby ledge and jump while attacking to hit the mobs from a safe spot.

Maple0130.jpg

Completing Mai's 3rd training session gets you 200 more exp. Lastly, she asks you to kill 2 pigs. If you can't seem to find any, the top right warp should have some. Completing this last quest will get you 15 Meat, 15 Lemons, and 250 exp. Now you are finished with this area, and should definitely be level 8 by now!

If you are making a mage, now is a time to stop and consider: do you keep questing or leave maple island immediately? I know it must be tempting to job advance immediately, but there are good things that come to those with patience. If you choose to do all the quests, you will get a lot of items and other help, but you will wind up job advancing at level 10. It is true that you will be compensated for all your skill points. However, when you level up as a magician, you get slightly more HP and more MP on level up...

In the long run, about 5 or 6 less HP and 20-30 less MP won't really matter. Plus, HP washing and MP double washing is definitely a thing you can do later. It's quite easy for a mage or bishop! Since this is a guide on starting out, you will likely need every penny you can get on your first character. As such, even if you are going a mage, I would highly recommend continuing with all the quests. Believe me when I say it will make your life easier! Imagine, no going to the FM to beg for mesos, ever!

Going back into Amherst, first you pass by Lucas again. Since you have completed all of Mai's trainings, he awards you a whopping extra 500 exp, plus a special letter that lets you leave Maple Island without paying a fee. Continuing onwards, you meet Pio again. Hopefully you have been breaking those boxes. In return for your efforts, you get 200 mesos, 100 exp, and if you talk to him again, he gives you a nifty chair.

Maple0131.jpg

Find this chair in the "Set up" tab of your inventory. Press \ to open your keyboard settings, or alternatively press the tiny red button on the bottom-right of your screen that has 3 squares on it. Drag and drop your chair anywhere you want. You can now use it to rest in a safe spot, recovering 50 HP every 10 seconds and multiplying your natural MP regen by 1.5.

By now your level is certainly getting up there! There's not too much left to do on Maple Island, but it doesn't mean you should shirk! Now find Bari by going back a few maps and following the sign that says Southperry.

Maple0132.jpg

All he wants you to do is hunt an orange mushroom and get one of its etc drops. If you can't find any nearby, kill some other mobs to make one spawn, or try entering the Dangerous Forest. There are plenty in there. For completing this quest, you get 700 exp. Bari also recommends you talk to Biggs. I recommend you do so, too! Biggs can be found on an upper platform in the town of Southperry. Talk to him, and he says you should talk to Olaf, who is in Lith Harbor, of Victoria Island.

With that out of the way, there's nothing left to do but talk to Shanks and leave Maple Island! Normally shanks will arbitrarily extort 150 mesos from a poor beginner such as yourself just because he can. But if you've been doing all the quests on Maple Island, not only did you earn a boatload of exp and items, but you also get a free boat ride too!

Maple0133.jpg

(guide continued on next post)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 14
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Continue to begin your voyage to Victoria Island. You arrive in Lith Harbor. Just keep walking right till you come across a viking-looking dude named Olaf.

Maple0134.jpg

As you can see, there's already a quest waiting to be completed with him. Because you talked to Biggs earlier, Olaf will award you 100 beginner red potions, 100 beginner blue potions, and 500 additional exp. By now you should be level 10. Stay here, though! Now take the other quest Olaf has to offer. It's yet another quiz on stuff you should definitely know by now. You get 65 exp.

Now Olaf has yet more quests for you to choose. Notice how they all correspond to a particular job. Go ahead and select the appropriate one now. After doing so, head left again to Phil, who is standing in front of (or isn't he supposed to be inside?) a ticket booth. At these early levels, I say you should not use any taxi services, but this one time I make an exception. Having to walk everywhere as a beginner is a pain in the ass, plus you are nearly level 11 as it is. You don't want to be gaining any more experience right now. At least since you are still a beginner, you get a 90% discount.

After warping to your class's town, find your job instructor. Don't complete the quest yet. Instead, immediately get your job advancement. After doing so, turn in that quest. You'll probably be level 11 now, as I am.

Maple0135.jpg

Just look at that. Look at all these potions I have, as well as being level 11... and as it turned out, I hadn't even used a single USE item yet!

1st Job Basics

I'm afraid this is where we part, but only in play style! Each class plays a bit differently. They all have different skills, which can be increased in a certain order to help you level faster, increase long-term efficiency, or otherwise help you passively increase damage output or save mesos.

I will say this, though:

• Warriors tend to go for maxing out the Increase Max HP skill immediately.
    • Mages max out their Increase Max MP skill. Most add 1 point to Energy Bolt first, though. Also, putting more points into Improving MP Recovery before your attack skill is maxed can help reduce costs.
    • As for everything else, look at a class-specific guide, or think for yourself.
    What I did was put the first few points into my attack skill. Now that you've job advanced and gotten yourself situated, you've probably noticed the big annoying light bulb floating above your head. Click it, and your job instructor has a quest for you. Just go along with it. It's more free exp and items. Depending on your class, your job instructor will ask you to kill some amount of mobs.

Do not sell any of your etcs or use items yet. Feel free to throw away your Beginner's Guide and sell any other crappy weapons you have. If you aren't an archer, throw away your arrows too. Do not try to buy any gear upgrades yet. Just do the damn quest!

But here is where things get more interesting. It is actually possible to do multiple quests at once! If you are a warrior, for instance, immediately after getting that quest, go talk to Ayan, who also asks you to kill a bunch of stumps. If you are a thief, do the first quest of killing 20 stumps. Then when you get the 2nd quest to kill 50, walk to Perion, kill everything in your path (well, the easy mobs anyway), and then do Ayan's quest there as well. Besides, there are more stumps near Perion anyway.

Mages can just hang around the slime tree, since they are nearby and abundant, and both archers and pirates should go and do the "A Mysterious Entity on Board the Nautilus" quest. The reason is that pirates are tasked with killing pigs as well, and bowmen.. well, the slime spawn near Henesys isn't super-high, but there are also some red snails and pigs, so you had might as well get that quest done while trying to get the slimes to spawn.

Since I'm playing a bowman, I took a walk over to the Nautilus. I also spent 620 mesos for a mana elixir to do a quest. Give one to Prince Sharyl, and he will give you 1200 exp upfront. In addition to that, he speaks of a power crystal, which can be found in the room to the right. Double-click the big, spinning crystal under the water, and talk to him again. I got an additional 1200 exp, and was now level 12.

Maple0136.jpg

Now I went and talked to Baine. Find Bart outside the Nautilus and return to him. Now he asks me to kill 20 red snails and pigs, so I head back to Henesys and kill everything on the way. Remember, still gotta kill slimes for Athena Pierce!

The first training quest got me 1770 exp, 30 blue potions, and 30 red potions.
    The second training quest got me 1830 exp, 30 blue potions, and 30 orange potions.

By then, I had a lot of squishy liquids. Since I was still in Hensys, I talked to Thomas Swift to go over to Amoria for a quick trip. Finding the hair salon, I talked to Claudia to do the quest, Amoria: Beauty or Beast. For 25 squishy liquids, I got 1500 exp and reached level 14. I also got a coupon for a free haircut. Honestly, it's just a trap from Neckson to give you an ugly hair 90% of the time but I figured what the hell.

Maple0138.jpg

Well, I got another noob hair. It could have been worse. Thankfully I got a hat from Maple Island to cover it up in case it looked terrible! ;)

Continuing onward, I now need to kill 65 slimes for Athena Pierce. I got 1935 exp this time, plus 30 white potions and 50 blue potions. So close to level 15! I should also point out that so far, I've only used like one red apple, my green apples, and 8 oranges for MP recovery.

Anyway, Athena Pierce asked me to go kill 15 ribbon pigs this time. This is also convenient because I need to kill pigs to complete the quest I picked up from the Nautilus, as you can see in the quest helper. Both pigs and ribbon pigs spawn between Henesys and the Nautilus. Also, checking my quest window, there is another quest I can pick up in Henesys from Bruce!

He wants 10 mushroom spores and 40 mushroom caps. Since I've already been killing these mobs near Henesys, I have a few of the items he wants already. But in order to get them faster, there is a nice little Hidden Street to the west of Henesys...

Maple0139.jpg

Search around this spot to find Mushroom Garden. Here you can easily find many orange mushrooms. While hunting here, I finished leveling up to 15. I also found my first equip drop (the female archer bottom) and then I got lucky and got a big haul:

Maple0140.jpg

That is a 10% Scroll for Overall Armor for DEX, which dropped from Red Snail. That could easily sell for a lot to another player (estimating 500k - 1m). Since this char is an archer, though, I think I'll keep it for him. Anyway, after getting all the orange mushroom caps, I returned to Bruce. He gave me 900 exp and 25 Red Potions.

I checked my quest log again. Since I had recently got to level 15, a whole slew of new quests became available! Also, here is my current potion hoard.

Maple0142.jpg

This is like Hydra. Finish one quest, two more take its place! It might seem daunting at first, but we are going to do every single one of these quests! Why? Well if you haven't noticed, I got a brand new character to level 15 within a relatively short amount of time. I also amassed a small stockpile of potions. All by doing the quests put in front of me.

You see, most people tend to skip some quests or maybe avoid them entirely. I'm not sure why. Maybe they think they will level faster if they just grind grind grind on mobs? And that could be true. But sooner or later, they wind up broke and begging in the free market. And that's a shame. Literally, it's a shame because you should be ashamed of yourself if you have to resort to begging!

In any case, as I was saying, pure grinding might be a bit faster, but it's also way more expensive. Believe me when I say that questing during your early levels is the way to get the most bang for your buck. As you will see, we will continue leveling and collecting even more potions. Our Use inventory will start to overflow! You will see...

But not yet. I'm afraid this is all I can write for now. Until then, keep on questing!

To be continued...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 16
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Welcome back to episode two of How to Not Beg Like a Scrub! Previously, we created a new character from scratch, and job advanced, easily making it to level 11 with a lot of extra potions by doing all the quests on Maple Island and some other quests from Olaf. After that, we did our job instructor quests, as well as a few others which were conveniently along the way. We should now be around level 15! Now is a good time to assess yourself and see where your stats stand.

Stats distribution and gear

As you should remember from the previous section, the class you chose had stat requirements. It has a "main" stat and a "secondary" stat. As a rule of thumb, you will want your main stat as high as possible. As for secondary stats, you just want barely what you need so that you can equip better gear and hit enemies.

Warriors - Keep DEX at around 2x your level. Cap it anywhere from 30 - 50. Generally lower dex is "better", but you will need dex gears to compensate. The lower base dex you have, the more expensive it will be.

Magicians - Keep INT as high as possible. If you really want to wear mage gears, your LUK will need to be 3 + your level.

Bowmen
    - Crossbowmen need STR = to level to wield their bows. Bowman need STR equal to their level + 5.

Thieves - As a sin, you can opt to add only LUK. However, this is a more difficult path, as your WATK will be much lower. If you can reach milestones and get some special claws that don't require any DEX, however, it pays off ... temporarily.

In the end, your best endgame weapon could end up using DEX anyway. And this is always true for bandits. Another possible endgame claw requires no DEX too. If you choose to add DEX, keep it at 2x your level until level 40, then add 1 point of dex every level after that. For bandits who have STR, you will generally want to keep your STR at level - 10... up to a cap of 75.

Pirates - Brawlers need DEX = level to use their strongest knuckles. Gunslingers need STR = level to use their strongest guns.

Disclaimer: I am only telling you minimum stat requirements for your equipment. Please keep in mind that you can equip an item if your base stat is lower than the requirement, provided that a different item gives you a boost to that stat. For example, supposing you are a gunslinger and you have 75 base strength. If you get a deputy star, which adds 5 STR, a zakum helmet which adds on average 15 STR, and bonuses on your other gear give you 5+ STR, you can then equip your level 100 gun.

Keep in mind that stat bonuses on a particular item will not count to meeting the prerequisites for wearing itself.

Planning ahead can save you lots of AP resets. But it also can be quite expensive.

Now then. As for where my character in this example is, and where yours probably is as well: if you didn't get lucky and find a lot of junk equips to sell, or if you didn't find any nice scroll to sell to other players, you likely are not going to have much money.

Take this advice. Don't waste all your money on gear upgrades! Just wait a few more levels! You'll end up leveling fairly fast either way, and it ends up being a waste, as you will then want to upgrade your gear again. It is also possible that you could just find better gear from mobs you kill, so keep your fingers crossed!

In this playthrough, even though I found a scroll which I could probably have sold for a lot of money, I opted to keep it for the character. You don't have to do that, but to be fair, I won't sell it, so this should be simulating what it's like if you don't get a break and are still poor.

Becoming the Quest Master

As I said at the end of the first chapter, we're going to do all the quests! But efficiency - doing as many quests as possible all at once with the least effort - is key. Here are some general groupings for quests which tend to be compatible with one another.

Ellinia
    Beginner Magician's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Magician's Last Training Session
    I need help on my homework!
    Arwen and Ellinia

Henesys
    Beginner Bowman's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Bowman's Last Training Session
    Amoria: Beauty or Beast
    The Reason Behind the Mushroom Studies
    I need to find my daughter (start and end here, requires Bruce's and Ayan's quest)
    Maya and the Weird Medicine (start)

Kerning City
    Beginner Thief's Training Session 1-3 (pick up)
    Beginner Thief's Last Training Session
    I'm Bored
    Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request

Lith Harbor
    John's Pink Flower basket (pick up)
    Maya and the Weird Medicine (mid step)

Nautilus
    Beginner Pirate's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Pirate's Last Training Session
    Whalians and the Nautilus
    A Mysterious Entity Onboard the Nautilus
    Disciples of the Black Magician (requires above quest)
    Cleaning the Nautilus
    Protect the Nautilus's Food Supply
    Help me find my glasses

Perion
    Beginner Warrior's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Thief's Training Session 2-3 (kill here)
    Beginner Warrior's Last Training Session
    The Stump Horror Story
    I need to find my daughter (mid step)
    Maya and the Weird Medicine (item collection)
    Fixing Blackbull's House (don't start yet)

Sleepywood
    Danger! <1-G. Mushroom>
    John's Pink Flower basket (task is here)

Bubbling
    Locations: Kerning subway.
    Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request (1)

Dark Stump
    Locations: East Rocky Mountain, West Rocky Mountain
    Sparse near: Right outside Perion, near Ellinia
    Beginner Magician's Last Training Session
    Beginner Warrior's Last Training Session
    Maya and the Weird Medicine

Green Mushroom
    Locations: Forest of Wisdom, Tree dungeons (NW or SW of Ellinia)
    Sparse near: Henesys hunting ground
    Beginner Pirate's Last Training Session
    Danger! <1-G. Mushroom>
    Arwen and Ellinia
    Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request (1)

Octopus
    Beginner Thief's Last Training Session
    Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request (3)

Orange Mushroom
    The Reason Behind the Mushroom Studies

Pig
    Beginner Pirate's Training Session 1-3

Ribbon Pigs
    Beginner Bowman's Last Training Session
    Cleaning the Nautilus

Slimes
    Locations: The tree that grew, Hill east of Henesys
    Beginner Bowman's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Magician's Training Session 1-3
    Amoria: Beauty or Beast
    I'm Bored

Stump
    Locations: most near Perion, but they can be found many other places too
    Beginner Thief's Training Session 1-3
    Beginner Warrior's Training Session 1-3
    The Stump Horror Story
    I'm Bored

Zombie Mushroom
    Warning: do not do this part yet!

Don't do Luke the Security Guy. That quest wants you to kill Jr. Neckies, which is completely unreasonable at this level. Also, don't worry about Eurek the Alchemist either. Don't take a boat to Orbis or the subway to NLC. Just stay on Victoria Island and do these quests!

As you may have noticed, a lot of quests seem to overlap. Either they ask you to kill a mob, or several quests wind up asking for many of that mob's etc. Usually it's some combination of both. But some quests might also ask you to complete a task which can't be done nearby. This is when planning becomes key.

I should point out a link to a very helpful database: http://bbb.hidden-street.net/

Check this website for any information you might need, like stat requirements for items, monster locations, and even what steps might be involved for quests.

Onward with the Journey!

When we last left off, my archer reached level 15. This opened up a bunch of new quests. Looking at the quests I have accepted, I notice that I need to kill Ribbon Pigs for Athena Pierce, and I need to kill Pigs for Baine.

Maple0144.jpg

I take a look at the other new quests which have recently become available to me. I see a few convenient things I could do:

Cleaning the Nautilus will want me to get Pig Ribbons from Ribbon Pigs.
    Protecting the Nautilus's food supply will also ask me to kill Pigs and Ribbon Pigs.
    There's also a short quest I can do simply by going to the Nautilus: Help Me Find My Glasses

So obviously my next course of action is taking a short walk back to the Nautilus! I first ran into Abel (the squinting guy on the ground). His glasses can be found by randomly clicking hidden NPCs under the lookout area. It's the bushy area under Bart.

For this simple task, I got 5100 exp, 10 Nautilus Return Scrolls, and I attained level 16! I then went to the upper floor of the Nautilus and grabbed the other two quests from the cleaning lady and panda chef. Now it's just a matter of slaughtering a ton of Pigs and Ribbon Pigs!

Maple0145.jpg

Actually, I went to the mini dungeon, which can be found on this map. It not only has better spawn, but a lot of nice platforms an archer can stand on and easily pick off the pigs from a distance. In a little less than 15 minutes, I had acquired 50 Pig Ribbons. Long before this, however, the other 3 quests were completed. I now had 4 quests which were all done and could be turned in. I won't list off all the rewards I got. I'll just show you the screenshot of my chat window being flooded with the rewards.

Maple0146.jpg

Also, here's a screenshot of my etc inventory.

Maple0148.jpg

It's getting kind of full, right? But you probably shouldn't throw anything away. Actually, correction: it's perfectly fine to sell the mushroom spores. Why? Because you won't need any more for quests. How do I know this? You can search for the item on http://bbb.hidden-street.net/. Remember this website?

BBBSearching.png

So we won't need mushroom spores for anything for a long, long time. As for the ores, you may or may not need them later. Someone else might need them. Sometimes it's always good to be prepared. I know Mithril sometimes sells. These other ores, not so much. I can definitely tell you now, though, you'll want to hold on to garnet ores and diamond ores. Otherwise, if you really need the space, you could sell the others. The snail shells will also be used for a quest later too... but you'll only need 10 of each. It wouldn't be too hard to hunt them all over again, but saving them would be a convenience.

As for the omok pieces and cards... well, it depends. If you only have a few, they're worth nothing. But if you can gather up a significant quantity, you could probably sell omok pieces for 10k each. 100 cards also can be made into a set of match cards. If you can make one, it could sell anywhere from 50k - 100k. Probably...

Anyway, did you notice how I have reached level 18? That's not bad, huh? Looking at my quest window, my next course of action isn't so obvious. But I work out a plan:

1. First I'll walk to Ellinia. When I get there, I will get the quest from Wing the Fairy and Arwen the Fairy. I won't actually finish these quests, however.
    2. I'll then continue on to Perion and talk to Ayan. She'll want me to kill a bunch of stumps, so I'll do that. In fact, I'll kill way more than 50, since I need a lot of tree branches (100).
    3. Once I finish gathering wood products, I walk back to Ellinia. I'll then finish getting slime bubbles from slimes. I'll also need to make sure I have a lot of extra squishy liquid too (at least 120). With that, I can return to Wing the Fairy.
    4. Then I'll go back to Henesys. When I get there, Bruce will have a new quest for me. He'll want me to go all the way back to Perion and talk to Ayan again. We won't do that yet. Also, I can get a quest from Maya.

It takes a bit of time to walk from place to place. Thankfully, by now, I've gotten Nearest Town Return Scrolls and Nautilus Return Scrolls from these quests to speed things up. Unfortunately, this whole process took around 50 minutes. Mainly it was due to slimes being stingy with their slime bubbles. I got way more squishy liquids than I needed.

On the bright side, at least I got to level 19, and it was pretty easy grinding. I also acquired 32 slime omok pieces. Also, by now I accumulated a sizable sum of mesos. 20k! It's time to use some of this to my advantage. I bought a level 20 bow for 10k since I was there in henesys. Even though I was only level 19, I was at 34% and was getting close.

I can see some easy levels in sight now. First I'll go to Lith Harbor. I'll continue the Maya and the Weird Medicine Quest, and I'll also pick up the flower quest from John. Since I feel like I have enough money, I'll use the cab. I'll also pick up 2 return scrolls to Lith Harbor while I'm there. After that, I used one of those Nautilus return scrolls and walked back to Henesys. Now here's the fun part... We're going to walk to Sleepywood. I'm in Henesys, so I took this warp here.

Maple0150.jpg

Be extremely careful. Not only are there some stronger monsters roaming around this area, but if you fall down the pit I'm standing in front of, you are going to be in for a world of hurt!

Maple0151.jpg

Continue onward. We aren't actually going to Sleepywood yet. What we want to do is pick up the Green Mushroom hunting quest first. This quest can be found from a billboard, located here:

Maple0152.jpg

You can find it by taking the topmost exit outside of Sleepywood. After you get that quest, then use a return to nearest town scroll. Go up to the hotel, enter the regular sauna, and buy like six sleepywood return scrolls and a pure water. It's a good investment!

Don't drink the pure water. You guessed it. It's for a quest.

Leave the hotel and then check the lower area of Sleepywood for the Mysterious Statue. This is what John in Lith Harbor was talking about. You click the Mysterious Statue to enter a jump quest. If you are good at jump quests, it's a breeze! Now now, I know some of you out there absolutely suck at jump quests. But this one is easy. All you need is a little patience. It is called the Forest of Patience after all.

In the first part, all you really have to do is keep jumping up these tiny platforms that are arranged a lot like steps. Eventually you will see some glowy puff ball things. If you think you might run into one of them, just stop under their path and wait a few seconds until it's clear. This isn't difficult!

The second area is slightly more tricky, but again, all you really have to do is stop in the right places and wait. One tactic that will help you immensely is crouching.

Maple0153.jpg

By doing this, a lot of the obstacles that would otherwise fly into your face harmlessly pass over you. Also, if you're on a step that's slightly above one of the big, red, fast balls, you can simply jump over them as they zip under you.

Maple0154.jpg

It might take you a bit of practice if you're bad at this sort of thing, but it's still a very useful skill to have in Maplestory. ;) At the top of the 2nd map is a pile of flowers, click on it, and you should have all the flowers you need. Now use one of those Lith Harbor scrolls and immediately turn that quest in. You get a nice chunk of exp, plus 30 screws, which will come in handy later.

Now it's time to head back towards Ellinia and kill 100 green mushrooms. Before even finishing that, I reached level 20. I headed back to Ellinia, and Arwen gave me some exp and a piece of junk. Piece of ice can be put in storage for later if you want to save it for a quest. Fairy wing can also be put in storage just for the sake of collecting it, or you may as well just toss it.

Since I reached level 20, I got to equip a new bow (finally). Now a slew of new quests opened up! Scanning through the lists of quests, I just want to get to level 21 and end this post. :cautious: Thankfully there's some easy stuff available now. But first I went back to Sleepywood to go and talk to the Rememberer. He is the guy you talk to when completing those billboard quests. For killing 99 mushrooms, I was given 10500 exp and 50 white pots. Pretty decent!

Then I went to the Nautilus. Panda chef has another quest for me. This time he just wants me to fill up a milk jug. Keep in mind that the "mother" cows seem to have faint lipstick. This quest is stupidly easy. Even if you hate questing, doing this quest at level takes all of 1 minute if we count the time it takes traveling, and it gets you 50%. After performing this trivial task, I got 10800 exp and reached level 21!

Level 21! Do you know what that means? That's the level you can start doing KPQ! But hold on! Entering KPQ at the minimum level can be quite difficult. Can we make it into a party? Will King Slime be defeated before he rampages through Kerning City? Will Shumi stop losing her money? Find out next time on Maple-stor-y!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
  4. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    We're back!! In the last episode, we just got to level 21. Instead of immediately going into KPQ, however, I will keep doing some of the easier quests. But it's been a while, so I'm kind of lost. Not to worry, the quest journal has all the answers!

Sleepywood:
    DANGER! <1-G. Mushroom>
    DANGER! <2-H. Mushroom>
    Henesys:
    I need to find my daugher -> Perion
    Mrs. Ming Ming's First Worry
    Legend of the Snail
    Pia and the Blue Mushroom
    Kerning City:
    I'm Bored.
    Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request
    Alex the Runaway Kid
    Shumi's Lost Coin
    Perion:
    Maya and the Weird Medicine (continued)
    Fixing Blackbull's House
    Planting Trees
    Winson's Fossil Dig-up

Axe Stump:
    Fixing Blackbull's House
    Winson's Fossil Dig-up
    Blue Mushroom:
    Pia and the Blue Mushroom:
    Bubbling:
    Nella (1)
    Blue Mushroom:
    Evil Eye:
    Alex the Runaway Kid
    Green Mushroom:
    DANGER! <1-G. Mushroom>
    Nella (1)
    Winston's Fossil Dig-up
    Horny Mushroom:
    DANGER! <2-H. Mushroom>
    Nella (2)
    Octopus:
    Nella (1)
    Ribbon Pig:
    Alex the Runaway Kid
    Zombie Mushroom:
    Other:
    Legend of the Snail
    I'm Bored.
    Fixing Blackbull's House
    Planting Trees

Looking at the quests, the first thing I note is I should have started the green mushroom quest again while I was in sleepywood. It's 999 kills but.. eh, you never know! It could be convenient to have this quest active while doing other things (especially KPQ later).

The first thing I did after getting the green mushroom quest was head to Henesys. It's time to knock these quests off one by one. Also, I expanded my etc inventory, and threw out my monster cards and omok pieces, keeping only the slime ones. I also put the piece of ice I got from Arwen in storage.

Over at Henesys, Bruce wants me to deliver a toy sword to Ayan. Mrs. Ming Ming is looking for pig ribbons, slime bubbles, and bubbling bubbles... unfortunately, at this point, hunting for more slime bubbles is a pain in the ass. Since I'm sure you guys want to level up fast and get decent rewards, I am skipping this quest.

Pia, in the mushroom park, has two quests. In the first one you need to give him 60 green mushroom caps and 60 blue mushroom caps. Luckily I have plenty of green caps from doing previous quests. The second quest leads up to your first boss hunt! You'll have to track down information by talking to numerous NPCs. Along the way, you need to collect snail shells...

After talking to the NPCs in town in the quest to find the legendary snail that grants wishes, I collected 10 blue snail shells and 10 red snail shells in hhg1, bought a henesys return scroll, then I made a quick trip to Perion by taxi.

Over in Perion, I got a quest from Blackbull. He just wants a bunch of branches and firewood. Thankfully I already hunted up a bunch of branches! Then I talked to Ayan. She took the sword but gave me a letter in return, still cluttering up my inventory. -_- In the item shop is where we continue on with Maya and the Weird Medicine. Talking to Manji is also next. He wants 40 undead charms from zombie mushrooms... we'll do this later.

I'm not done in Perion yet, though! Going off to the right, I made my way to Winston, and I got the rest of the (green) snail shells I needed. I got the quest to find Winton's fossils, but I'm ignoring the other one to get tree seeds. The reason is there are other quests to do in the excavation area that will come later if we just wait a little. But! Now that I'm here... I may as well go one map further (East Rocky Mountain III) and hunt axe stumps until I have all the firewood and fossils!

About 25 minutes later (and 50%), I got all the fossils and way more than enough firewood. Returning to blackbull, all I got was 900 exp and a steel shield. Welp, that's too bad. He does have a chance to give you a nice level 25 shield, although it's not likely. Either way, it wasn't a very bad grinding session.

Well then, what's next? Time to go back to henesys. Mainly because all this stuff is cluttering up our inventory. I gave Ayan's letter to bruce for a small reward, then I took a cab to Ellinia. There I met wing and he wanted 10 of each snail shell. While around Ellinia, I decided to hunt more green mushrooms. We need 110 of their caps in total, but they also drop the animal fossils, so may as well collect those!

Level up!!

Maple0006.jpg

FYI: green mushrooms is also a good grinding spot at this level.

At this point, you may be wondering if you should go back to Winston to return those fossils. My answer is.. do you need the inventory space or not? Thankfully since I expanded my char's etc once, I still have 4 empty spaces. So I decided to take a cab to kerning city first. According to my walk through, we haven't done anything here yet.

You can talk to Alex, but to actually do the quest, you have to hunt ribbon pigs and evil eyes. Evil eyes are probably too hard right now. Shumi, on the other hand, has a nice and easy jump quest with lots of exp. Talk to the ditz and she'll complain how she dropped her coin in the subway or something. Going in the subway, Jake will sell you tickets to the Construction Site B1. Use that ticket to "talk" to the reader on the bottom right part of the screen to get in the jump quest.

Maple0007.jpg

In the first part of the jump quest, there's actually two ways you can go. People say the bottom route is easier but slower. But honestly neither are that difficult. Take your time and duck under the lasers. There may also be jr neckis. Just jump over them or walk into them and keep going. You should be able to get past them without much trouble.

Now in some later parts of the jump quest, you might think it's extremely hard or impossible to avoid the lasers. Well that's ok. Actually, the first unavoidable laser should quite clearly demonstrate what you are supposed to do.

Maple0008.jpg

Jump right into the laser, and if you do it right, you're only knocked back a little. You'll stay on your original platform, and you'll have a few seconds of invincibility. If you can do this, the rest of the jump quest should be a piece of cake.

In the next part, just plow through the stirges and electric poles.

Maple0009.jpg

Then all you have to do is climb a ladder. Remember as long as you hold UP, the monsters won't knock you off. After that, you're done! Walk to far left or right in the bonus room to get warped up to the top. Click the chest to retrieve Shumi's coin. With the quest complete, we got a whopping 18k exp, 30 return scrolls, and 1 fame! At this level it's about 62%!

We still have yet more to do in kerning city. Let's talk to Icarus, give him some of the junk we accumulated, and take his quiz. It's a bit more easy exp and free pots. Nearby is Nella. She has some jobs for us, but first she wants us to pay a small "finder's fee". Pay the gal because it's a good investment!

First job: get 50 green mushroom cap and 50 bubbling bubbles. We already have the caps, so all we need to do is duck into the subway for a few minutes. For doing this task, I got 2.4k exp and 50 lemons. Not bad.

Next I need 5 screws and 5 processed wood. Well thankfully, since we did that first jump quest for John and got him flowers, he gave us screws in return. As for the processed wood... we can use all those extra firewoods we got and turn them into processed wood. JM from the Streets can do that for us right here! For completing this job, I got 2700 exp and 100 cakes! That was too easy.

3rd Job from Nella is to collect 100 octopus legs and a pure water. Good thing we already have that pure water from sleepywood, right? ;) What's more, I know the perfect spot to hunt some octopi too. Over in the map just west of Kerning City is a hidden street called Caution Falling Down. There's plenty of easy octopus kills to be had here and as an added bonus, blue mushroom spawns here too. Oh, and I almost forgot. Since we need some octopus legs to make sparkling rock, let's make that collecting 120.

Maple0011.jpg

With that quest out of the way, my inventory space is getting a bit full again, so I went over to Perion to return the fossils to winston. I also noticed that there's a new quest available at level 23: a way to fight off sleep. The guard near the perion dungeon entrance will ask for 1 of each potion. Might as well do that while we're at it! The fire boars can hurt a lot, but good thing we have lots of potions. Anyway, it's an easy 5.1k exp...

Once I returned Winston's fossils, I leveled up again. Woohoo! Now we can go to Ellinia and get rid of this stuff from our etc windows.. Dr. Betty will pay a generous 30k mesos, and we are also rewarded 3k exp and some eggs. Now if you want to bother continuing the chain, she will ask you to collect 20 plant samples. It's not very hard, but it's pretty tedious. I decided to try it because I forgot the immediate reward. 10k exp wasn't too bad, although again, looking for the plants was boring.

Now Dr. Betty asked me to visit her daughter who is just outside of Henesys. We can go to Henesys too, but we won't get that drake skull yet. For now I am going to finish hunting the blue mushroom caps at the hidden street: Blue Mushroom Forest and then I'll return to Pia. While I was here, I also got a level 25 bow.

Maple0013.jpg

There's also another new quest which has become available (and it's also in Henesys). That quest is Camila's gem. She's standing around in the northeast part of Henesys. All you have to do is deliver a gem to her friend who owns a pig farm. The farm is right next to the blue mushroom forest. The trick to this little area is that the hay bails are warps, and to progress, you always take take the bail that is the furthest away. It's an easy 16k exp and 30 cakes! You also have a small chance of getting a Pig Illustrated, which is a very good weapon for warriors.

Now I am level 25... and I still haven't even touched KPQ. A few more quests have become available, too. I think it's time to end this section of the walk through, but before I end it, there's one more loose end to tie up before signing off.

Maple0014.jpg

Finally! It took a while to actually find a Mano, but the reward was still pretty decent. I used it as an excuse to watch some videos while waiting. Now with this quest complete, here is where I stand financially:

Maple0015.jpg

I have a good supply of potions, and I still haven't bought a single one! The only use items I did buy were some return scrolls. I also have a weapon at my level, and 94k extra! This is pretty good. It's more than enough to get to level 30, and training and KPQ at this point aren't likely to be huge money burners either.

Anyway, that's it! The next and final chapter will include a short KPQ guide, and the last of the good low-level quests.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  5. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    ...and this. I hope this is enough room. Sorry for spam guys. ._.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Freddychanyo

Freddychanyo Slimy

Nov 5, 2015
    Male
    Norway
    3:54 AM
    Freddychanyo
    Assassin
    Demure
    Fantastic work man

7. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    If you upload your images to image hosting sites like http://imgur.com/ you can add as many images as you want to one post.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Interesting. Well I just hope that site doesn't remove images after a certain period of time. But I might try it out if I need more pics in a post.

At the very least, doing it this way lets me break it up into sections. :D

9. rewyuio

rewyuio Selkie Jr.

Jul 2, 2015
    Male
    8:54 PM
    Wicked,HolySpirit
    Dark Knight
    High,Project
    As a mage you should aim for as high of a base int possible on the roll with at least 5 strength to use the paint brush. For thieves and bowmen that want to wash, go for 10int on the roll with 5 base dex, go for 30 int asap(if you think you can handle some harsh times) and put the rest to dex till 25. If you're a thief, put that extra 5 into luk. The NLC quiz is also really good early on, and extremely helpful to the washing and the warriors rushing improve maxhp

10. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    4:54 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    It does not remove them. :3

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If you can get squishy shoes from KPQ or a 100% cape str scroll, you won't need to have any AP into str. For that matter with the same tactic and some 100% cape luk scrolls, you won't need any AP into luk for the poison mushroom weapon either. These weapons might not even be worth it if you can get decently scrolled wooden wand.

I also wouldn't recommend going to NLC as a low level when you don't have any money.

12. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    9:54 PM
    Nice guide but a use of spoiler tags would help keep the clutter down and keep it clean :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Third post is filled in. I was probably too tired to proofread it properly. Well, I'll have to polish it up later. :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    9:54 PM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  15. Yamlin

Yamlin Mano

Feb 24, 2016
    Male
    This is great! Feels like reading some guide for the new maplers in the '06 (well, except the Nautilus part) once again - all the tips, opinions, screenshots, details - and I really love it. I've even created a new character just to follow this guide. Plus it's so well written and also brings so much nostalgia that it's so fun to read. Awesome - and I'm waiting for the next parts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  16. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    Holy crap man,

Goodjob!

17. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I'm glad you like the guide. Thinking about it, maybe it's actually more like a walkthrough?

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing how the guide helps you out. I imagine if you're an archer you could do exactly the things I did in that order, but for a different job.. well, I was lazy and only made some tables of similar quests. Hope they helped.

18. Yamlin

Yamlin Mano

Feb 24, 2016
    Male
    I've actually created an archer to follow everything almost step-by-step (always wanted to make one anyway but been stuck with an assassin cause of the nostalgia) and it was/still is fun (and yeah, it's more like a walkthrough though). Guide helped me with organising all the quests: completing order, doing multiple of them in one fell swoop - earlier it was just a chaos, doing them all randomly etc. every. single. time. since I started playing gms. Now it was quick and efficient.

19. dumbledore

dumbledore Capt. Latanica

Oct 11, 2015
    Male
    Hogwarts
    dumbledore
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    "Becoming the quest master". This is really you, lionheart :). Nice guide tho.

20. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    4th installment is up.