1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bring back old events 2015-2018

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Liprings, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Liprings

Liprings Mushmom

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    8:40 AM
    Tonk
    Islander
    Hello.

i would like to see a resurfacing of old events.
    I have felt like we try to always have new fun and exciting events when I would just like to see the return of old ones.

For example: Summer Event 2017 that dropped surfboards/snowboards.
    Halloween Event 2017 that gave cool spider venom earrings.
    These events were dope and the only way to get cool items on your islander.

I really enjoyed these events and would love to see them again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    3:40 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Do you want old events because you enjoyed the event or do you want to see the items return?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Usarise

Usarise Blue Snail

Oct 19, 2023
    Male
    9:40 AM
    I/L Wizard
    With Halloween at the end of the month frankenmush and November coming up, the Thanksgiving event would be cool as I don't think I saw anything for the spooky season. I dunno if that is already something that happens here though pilgrimmush

4. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    No fun for islanders pls

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. WatIsDeze

WatIsDeze Horny Mushroom

May 1, 2020
    Camper
    Islanders wanting things :rolleyes:

6. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    They just want the super snowboard. (Items with speed on them in general)

no real alternatives to exclusive items like 3rd anni cake hat and white mouse kit.

7. OP
    OP
    Liprings

Liprings Mushmom

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    8:40 AM
    Tonk
    Islander
    i enjoyed the items and the nostalgia. some of these new events were just extra. they were fun but not nostalgic for me.

8. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    Actually, let's talk about this for a moment. Yes, I am semi-hijacking this thread for some extra feedback.

I read back about the Summer event 2017, as it was mentioned, and since it was well before I joined here, I didn't know exactly what it was about.
    The concept of it was to farm PQs, monsters, boss PQ and a speed quiz to craft unique equipment, along with a daily quest to farm scrolls for it. There were also a community event in the form of the Maple tree, and the cosmetics, bonus rates, and whatnot.

Halloween 2017 had the Toymaker questline, the pumpkin carving, pumpkin vault and an exchange with the Malady cat.

Unless I'm missing something from a quick search (do feel free to correct, ancient scripts need some archaeology work to dig out), these events, and others from back then (like Christmas - although it did have rare gacha tickets), didn't have rewards like Chaos or White scrolls.

What is it that is missed the most, about old events? Was the format better, even though (or maybe because) in theory it was less lucrative?
    Is it some specific equipment that you would like to see return?
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    Not the OP, but I miss the cosmetics mostly (hairs, faces, etc.). Lots of nice event hairstyles from the pre-2020 era, and there's no way to get them outside of community polls that only bring back 1-2 at a time. Feelsbad :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    It's an open question to everyone by the way! I forgot to specify.

11. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    The thanksgiving event is the only one that hasn't had a rerun afaik and brings alot of nostalgia for the GMS players.

I know it didn't reward much outside of some cool looking hats/weapons and some now pretty much extinct pots but I would prefer an event to be less about muling for WS/CS which only seems to be getting worse over time.

Yesyes I know wishful thinking and people generally pick gains over content, surely a middle way can be found.

12. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    6:40 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    They may not have had WS or CS(summer might have, can't recall exactly), but at that point those two items weren't exactly the most expensive, being like 50-100mil and being significantly cheaper than things like HT skillbooks. Most players also just used their votes to get gachapon tickets at that point too, so overall the server had been flush with WS/CS but getting an item to use them on was the more challenging part, with perfect Dragon Purple Sleeves going for crazy amounts like 500mil+.

It might seem odd but they didn't actually need those tangible and lucrative rewards you see in the current events, what they had were even stronger, many lost to memory. That summer 2017 event produced agent equipment that had to be later be (controversially) given an expiration date as 20+ stat earrings and shoes were deemed too powerful at the time, eventually leading to most of the guild Project shitting up the forums and discord after having spent so many mesos on buying godly earrings.

The Malady Cat exchange was equally powerful and controversial, as if I am remembering this right, it was the event that allowed you to make Witch's Special Stews. Tens of thousands of them were crafted, enough that for multiple years they were the main attack potion people tended to use. A 40 attack pot that lasted 15 minutes and only costed 500k was more than enough to keep onyx apple prices in the dumpster, causing them to crash from like 4mil after they released to roughly 2mil. If you were smart enough to craft thousands of stews you also made off like a bandit, you were able to quietly make more money in an hour than any modern method like 15man PB or multi-mage farming.

In my opinion the Agent Event could probably come back, even without the expiration dates. The gear is actually really nice for early and mid game players, and it'd probably be better than the current events that tend to benefit people with enough characters to maximize their raffle values. The gears they offered aren't even the powerhouses they once were, the receiver gets outdone by Elemental Pierce and the shoes get beaten out by stompers.

Stew crafting coming back would also be nice, but not in the absurd number they once did. The craft tree was sort of fun in a way to figure out, was really only broken by the fact that you could combine an alligator skin, some cat blood, a stick, some slime, and a napkin into a 500k item.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    4:40 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Regarding the stew crafting, that was introduced in 2018, in 2017 they were an uncommon pull from the raffle. The stew crafting was nearly identical to GMS apart from the cats and frogs spawn maps, I believe they spawned in towns and the supply of the cat spittle + cursed frog eggs were probably a limiting factor however in 2018 ML it wasn't the case as they were abundant. The EXP from crafting is also from GMS but its broken here as you were able to craft a ton of stews.

Stews had a rerun in 2019 but were much harder to make, and many didn't bother. The crafting also gave no EXP that time.

2017 Halloween was mostly controversial due to the potential APRs people could have farmed as candy droprate was high, Trick or Treat boxes were fairly common and # of candies required for APRs were low that BMs were farming 2-3 APRs an hour. A nerf happened and even then it was very good. It might have been the best APR farming event ever and that was before NX coupons even dropped or vote streaks, multivote and 2x vote events in the past.

I do genuinely think events now have a better format overall, though past events stressed pushing a singular character more as Raffles, cosmetics and APRs were all tied to a singular currency that was farmable. However, the issues were a severe imbalance between classes, skills, maps and reward costs. Events that had boxes that gave pots + the currency generally had more expensive reward costs or had an easier time that events without boxes suffered from, look at the first Lunar New Year (2020) and events from 2018/19. Current events just reward mules a lot more than previous events and the meta became to churn out as many mules due to how easy it is to cap a singular character, which is really nice for casuals but not so much for try-hards, hence the insane muling of recent events (2021 onwards).

In my opinion, a mix of old event philosophy and new event philosophy can be ideal for balance. Keep the fun rewards as they are handled right now, easy access for cosmetics and pets but raffles can be something akin to Summer 2021, which was the closest between new and old event philosophy. Summer 2021 had capped raffles for a character and the only way to obtain points were to grind for bait and fish for the 3 fishies that gave 1,3,5 points respectively in the FM. Though there will always be an imbalance, as long as things have a cap you ensure that try-hards dont get hundreds of APRs on a singular character which makes the disparity between casuals and try-hards less severe.

Sorry for rambling and ty for posing these questions PastaPasta :heart:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    That does jog my memory, BMs had hurricane event drop nerfed because of Halloween 2017 :sneaky: I think it also lead to Burnt Land V getting toasted but it eventually got reverted by accident.

Something I do miss is that more stuff didn't stick around. Event equips now are small buffs for a couple of months, or else the reward is just entirely monetary. Chairs are the only real keepsake from them now but it's begun to feel stale

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Cabbagehead

Cabbagehead Orange Mushroom

Nov 10, 2021
    9:40 PM
    Agree with what Kyshies said. As someone who joined the game rather late myself, it'd be great if we can acquire hairs/faces and pets from old events again in the future. Seems nearly impossible to for some old, unpopular ones to enter the community polls, let alone getting high enough votes. Sad to see them gone like this.

Regarding the event format, I personally prefer the current ones which give points from multiple aspects (pq, bosses, jq, farm) so players are free to choose how they want to participate in the event. However, bringing back some old event jqs, quests or community activities (e.g. Growing the Maple Tree in summer 2017) as side activities from time to time will be neat.

16. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I played Summer 2017 event. I miss the old JQ (Hogul JQ), the fact that everything was tradable and infinitely farmable (not a good idea necessarily but I liked how simple the event was), and the silly maple tree thing. Basically with the tree everyone had to turn in an ETC from mobs (similar to cake puff) and then when it reached max there was like a 10 min wait or whatever and then it dropped pearls all over the map (one per player) and you had to find yours. No gimmick boss or anything like that, no daily limit, just show up when the tree is maxed out and everyone gets a reward!

17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Horntail

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    10:40 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I started playing here in 21, but I read a lot about the server here on the forum and reading here I became even more curious to know what it was like

18. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Pac Pinky

Feb 7, 2018
    I'm just gonna leave this here for you to look at your own leisure. fs0oTZ3.png

• Agree Agree x 1