1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Macintosh Fix for "Failed to activate core devices" error on Mac.

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Rusko, Feb 13, 2017.

Did these steps help fix MapleLegends for you?

1. Yes

30.0%
  2. No

70.0%
  1. Rusko

Rusko Red Snail

Feb 12, 2017
    Male
    New Braunfels, TX
    9:47 PM
    Rusko, NoobTube
    Beginner, Cleric
    Honor
    For those of you that are receiving the "Failed to activate core devices" error on the Mac, here is an easy step-by-step fix:

0. Make sure you've already downloaded and installed the MapleLegends client (MapleStory.app) into your Applications folder. As of writing (Feb 13, 2017), the latest Mac client can be downloaded here: MEGA | Google Drive

1. Download PortingKit here.
    2. Unarchive and install the app to your Applications folder.
    3. Open PortingKit.
    4. Click on the Library tab. Make sure you're sorting by Local, not Server.
    5. MapleStory.app should be detected and should appear in this tab. If not, you'll want to click "Add" to add it to the list. Click "Play".
    6. PortingKit should update your Wineskin wrappers and launch automatically. Don't worry if you're seeing a black screen for a bit; MapleLegends should run normally after a minute or less.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    12:47 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
  3. eiryls

eiryls Red Snail

Jan 16, 2017
    Female
    SnowDrop
    Priest
    Animals
    I did all the steps but when I tried to update Wineskin, the program just stopped responding.

Nvm, I got it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rusko

Rusko Red Snail

Feb 12, 2017
    Male
    New Braunfels, TX
    9:47 PM
    Rusko, NoobTube
    Beginner, Cleric
    Honor
    Great, glad it helped someone.

5. Craig

Craig Blue Snail

Feb 24, 2017
    Male
    It wont let me click yes to update my most recent version. I keep getting a spinning colour wheel lol..

6. Craig

Craig Blue Snail

Feb 24, 2017
    Male
    Yeah I've been at this for a few hours now. Would you know how to manually update the wineskin?

7. eiryls

eiryls Red Snail

Jan 16, 2017
    Female
    SnowDrop
    Priest
    Animals
    Hey. In case it still doesn't work for you, here's what I did (in addition to downloading and going through Portingkit):
    source: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...e-legends-after-upgrading-to-el-capitan.5963/

Granted, it took a while for it to actually start running for me, but once it worked the first time, it was working every other time.

8. LanceyPants

LanceyPants Red Snail

Mar 3, 2017
    Male
    11:47 PM
    I've tried both methods. First one I can't update the wrappers. Second keeps bricking my computer and restarting.

Any suggestions?

9. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Have you downloaded the wineskin winery application?

10. LanceyPants

LanceyPants Red Snail

Mar 3, 2017
    Male
    Yes, I've downloaded and tried every solution that's been mentioned.

11. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    What version of wrapper and engine does your client say its using when opening advanced settings?

Second line from the bottom
    [​IMG]

12. LanceyPants

LanceyPants Red Snail

Mar 3, 2017
    Male
    I guess this is where I'm lost. How do I access this?

13. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Right click your client and click show package contents
    [​IMG]

Open up the wineskin app and click advanced and you should be at the screen
    [​IMG]

14. LanceyPants

LanceyPants Red Snail

Mar 3, 2017
    Male
    Wrapper is 2.6.2 Engine is ENGNVRSN

15. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Incase you didn't download wineskin winery you can download it here and it should auto start downloading after a few seconds.

After you've downloaded, place the application in your applications folder and launch the application you should see this screen:
    [​IMG]

If you dont have any engines already just hit the plus sign which will bring you to this screen:
    [​IMG]
    to which just pick the latest one "WS9Wine2.1" and then click download and install

After that right click your MapleLegends application which should be in your applications folder as well and click show package contents and open up the wineskin app > advanced > tools > change engine used > and then pick the one you just downloaded

If you're still unable to launch it without getting the x11 error you can try the method in Latte's post in this thread which is the 3rd post down

Lastly if it still doesnt work after all this, the only other option I know of is that you can install the latest version of xQuartz from their website https://www.xquartz.org/

then by right clicking your Legends client > show package contents > wineskin app > advance > options > and the last check box should be "force use of system installed XQuartz instead of using built in Winskinx11" and check that (you may have to restart your computer)

If none of these helps, I'm sorry these are all the possible solutions I know of :(

16. LanceyPants

LanceyPants Red Snail

Mar 3, 2017
    Male
    That worked! Thanks! Anyway to keep from fullscreening? Now just have to figure out why it's not letting me login

17. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    When you go into the screen options when launching wineskin inside of ur Legends folder you should have your settings set like this:
    [​IMG]
    If they're set like this and its still launching in fullscreen it is the engine that is causing it. By downloading different engines like WS91.4.1 and changing your settings to that one it will launch in window mode. The only thing I'm unsure of is what causes the original error. I'm unsure if its just older versions of the error that causes it or if its a problem with the engines installing incorrectly with the initial download so if you do end up testing it let me know if it work :p!

You should be able to easily toggle into window mode through command + enter although I believe you're unable to move the window around with the latest engine (which sucks :()

18. Ngo

Ngo Red Snail

Mar 18, 2017
    Male
    12:47 PM
    LifeOfPally
    Page
    Honor
    Hey Wulas,

I tried changing the wineskin engine on the maplelegends file to the one i just downloaded but even then I get an error & they do not allow me to do so.

This is the error I get:

ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.

This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file.

(the above is the same error i get when i try to run maplelegends).

Any more tips? It's so hard to even start playing legends lol.

19. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Hard for me to help since I dont see what you are seeing but just to make sure all of these items are in your applications folder correct?

With a quick search on wineskin I was able to find this, hopefully this is able to help you.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=3434

20. Clumzy

Clumzy Blue Snail

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    3:47 PM
    I finally got past the error message "X11 couldnt be open blah blah.." and am able to get the program running. But it closes after the wizet startup logo every time. The program is still running in the background but I can't reopen the window.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 1.20.28 PM.jpg
    I have updated wineskin to 2.6.2 and since then, I wasnt able to add the program onto PortingKit. Did anyone had this issue?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017