1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Opinions: New Warrior/Magician Hybrid Class?

Discussion in 'Not Possible to Add' started by wealthy902, May 19, 2016.

What do you think of this class being introduced in V. 62?

1. This is great, I'd like to see it added to MapleLegends!

12.5%
  2. I think it's cool, but not for MapleLegends.

21.9%
  3. I'm open to custom class ideas but didn't like this one

3.1%
  4. I don't like the idea of any custom classes, keep V. 62 the way it is.

62.5%
  1. wealthy902

wealthy902 Red Snail

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    6:38 AM
    Pinaka
    Dark Knight
    Perion
    Heya! I've always been intrigued by a melee-mage type character in just about any game I play and have wondered for a long time now why GMS doesn't have anything like that yet when I feel like it'd fit in perfectly! That's when I got thinking, why wouldn't that type of class work for a V.62 server? Using all the existing skills and with a few exceptions to game mechanics (my idea is to use swords/blunt weapons and cast spells at the same time), this could be something relatively easy to add (I'm very limited in my experience with coding, especially anything to do with Maple. The most experience I have with code is from light use of RPG Maker VX Ace). I'm not exactly looking to try to put this in Legends, but I am asking that people take a look at this and tell me what you think about things like the general power, synergy of skills, technical aspects of the class, etc. Thanks! MapleF2

I Started the class out similar to the others, 1st job advancement (Apprentice) at level 10, 2nd at level 30, and so on, with two branches to choose from: The Spellblade and The Warpriest. The way I see it now the Apprentice will use a combination of Str/Int, and maybe even Luk depending on what branch they choose and how to build their character. Also, being a hybrid between Warriors and Magicians, the Apprentice would be able to use equips from both classes. There will be two branches that would differ with the Spellblade being more Int oriented and the Warpriest being more Str oriented. The only problem I could see with this having enough AP to make the class effective while being able to wear both Warrior and Magician gear.

This class would have

1st Job: Apprentice
    Req: Level 10, 20 STR/INT

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Improved HP Recovery - Master Level: 16
    [​IMG] Improved Max HP Increase - Master Level: 10
    [​IMG] Improved MP Recovery - Master Level: 16
    [​IMG] Improved Max MP Increase - Master Level: 10
    [​IMG] Magic Armor - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Power Strike - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Energy Bolt - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Magic Claw - Master Level: 20

*Explanation*
    I'd like to just start off with the basics here, I'd like to keep out Slash Blast at least for now and keep the class from being OP by starting off slow. You get a good Melee and Magic attack from the start and the skills needed to specialize into whichever method you'll prioritize.

Now you get to choose whether to go down the Path of the Adept or the Path of the Zealot to become a Spellblade or Warpriest respectively.

2nd Job: Adept
    Req: Level 30, Apprentice Job

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Sword Mastery - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Teleport - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Final Attack : Sword - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] MP Eater - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Slash Blast - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Cold Beam - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Fire Arrow - Master Level: 30

*Explanation*
    I'm trying to keep things under control here by not giving anything too strong with the combination of skills here. Having teleport on this class is very useful, so I tone down the power by not adding booster yet and giving the only mobbing skill Slash Blast. I'm considering adding Lightningbolt to give another mobbing skill that is based on magic should you want to go that route and not be locked out of it, but think that might be a bit strong especially for V. 62.

3rd Job: Magus
    Req: Level 70, Adept Job​
    *Skills*
    [​IMG] Element Resistance - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Element Amplification - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Spell Booster - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Sword Booster - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Explosion - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Element Composition (I/L) - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Flame Charge (Sword) - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Ice Charge (Sword) - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Lightning Charge (Sword) - Master Level: 30

*Explanation*
    Again, trying to keep this class from completely outshining others, and maybe even be a little weaker than the mobbing ability of mages and weaker dps than warriors, but having the tools to fit any situation. I chose Element Composition (I/L specifically) to give the Magus multiple elements to work with rather than being stuck with just Explosion if focusing more on magic. If possible, I'd rather not have Element Amplification available, but I'm not sure it'd work with Spell Booster requiring 3 ranks of Element Amplification.

4th Job: Spellblade

Req: Level 120, Magus job

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Maple Warrior - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Achilles - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Mana Reflection - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Rush - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Brandish - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Ice Demon - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Chain Lightning - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Paralyze - Master Level: 30

*Explanation*
    I did my best keeping the core feeling of both the Arch Mage and Hero classes while still keeping each respective class better than the Spellblade at what they do. This is why I didn't add Combo attack, Power Stance, or Blizzard/Meteor Shower but kept enough skills to do what you'd need to do. Chain Lightning and Ice Demon are useful to mob, while Brandish and Paralyze would be more useful to boss or single targets, with the other skills being there to feel like a real Magician/Warrior hybrid.

Now that I've covered the Spellblade branch, it's time for the Warpriest branch.

2nd Job: Zealot
    Req: Level 30, Apprentice Job

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Blunt Weapon Mastery - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Teleport - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Final Attack : Blunt Weapon - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] MP Eater - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Slash Blast - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Heal - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Invincible - Master Level: 20

*Explanation*
    Basically the same thing as the Adept except with this class being a hybrid between dps and support, I had to tone down the dps to keep it balanced. That is why I only allow Blunt Weapon Mastery and Final Attack because a heal on a tank class that uses mostly HP. Potion usage will be low, but so will damage.

3rd Job: Templar
    Req: Level 70, Zealot Job

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Element Resistance - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Element Amplification - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Spell Booster - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Blunt Weapon Booster - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Dispel - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Charged Blow - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Magic Crash - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Doom - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Shining Ray - Master Level: 30

*Explanation*

Again, a hybrid between dps and support seems in my opinion very strong, so I continued to keep the dps lower and gave some supporting skills from Priests, but nothing all that great. I've never had a Paladin so I don't know exactly how all the skills work, but I feel like only having Charged Blow is a little too weak and Templars will be restricted to only using Shining Ray as efficient dps at this point.

4th Job: Warpriest
    Req: Level 120, Templar job

*Skills*
    [​IMG] Maple Warrior - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Achilles - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Mana Reflection - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Rush - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Divine Charge: Mace - Master Level: 20
    [​IMG] Advanced Charge - Master Level: 10
    [​IMG] Heaven's Hammer - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Blast - Master Level: 30
    [​IMG] Angel Ray - Master Level: 30

*Explanation*
    Here, I thought it'd define the class more to pull back on the support side and focus more on single target dps, which is what the Warpriest excels at. Mainly, the high single target damage, high hp and the heal skill all make a very strong combination of someone that is able to take a couple of good hits and deal some right back out. The Warpriest is meant to be stronger than the Spellblade in terms of bossing but has hardly any mobbing ability compared to other classes for the 4th job.

Let me know what you think of these ideas and if you think it would not only have its place in a V. 62 server but what would make it more fitting and even if it would be possible to do some of the ideas mentioned here without a large amount of editing code. Maybe if this gets enough support this could go to the suggestion forum?
    Thanks a lot for reading and happy mapling! MapleF2

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    11:38 AM
    Your images are broken, because you're using Hiddenstreet. Try using them from MapleTip. :)

3. Infidel

Infidel Capt. Latanica

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Infidel / Duke
    Priest, Hunter
    FaerieCircle
    You put a lot of effort into this though I am not sure that this is even possible.

4. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    1:38 PM
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    Thia is kinda cool lols
    But i thing v62 server is a v62 seever and shouldnt change..
    Still that looka fun

5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:38 AM
    Moderator Post
    Private Servers can't add completely new jobs since skill ID's are hardcoded into the client.

While I really appreciate you wrote this all up.. its just not possible :/

• Like Like x 6
  6. OP
    OP
    wealthy902

wealthy902 Red Snail

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Pinaka
    Dark Knight
    Perion
    Ah, that makes sense. That sucks but oh well I'm not too bummed about it, it didn't feel like it was that much work anyway. I just spent like 2 hours throwing together some skills based on an idea that I thought would be cool out of boredom haha.
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot MapleF2

7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    4:38 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Even though these classes can't be implemented, here is my critique of them:

Basically, it won't work. The most important thing in maplestory is your DPS, and the 2nd most important thing is your HP/MP to make sure you can survive the damage you receive. The problem I see here is that the skills like power strike, slash blast, and brandish will depend on your WATK and STR/DEX scores. However the magic spells will depend on your MATK/INT. And you can't have both at the same time. Trying to split up your stats will make you weak both physically and magically.

So basically what would happen is people would probably just go one of two routes: focusing all on magic or all on physical attacks. Doing so would make a lot of skills obsolete. We'd either have a warrior with limited skills and really weak magic that's only good for statusing mobs, or we'd have a magician with all but useless attack skills. So then that would make one ask: why not just play an actual hero, paladin, or arch mage?

Now if, somehow, all skills got their damage from the same source, or we had custom equipment which was extremely good for such a hybrid class but not too useful for everyone else, we might have something...

• Like Like x 1
  8. VonBIT

VonBIT Pac Pinky

Dec 22, 2014
    Sharkbait
    Islander
    Fun fact: The Page was originally going to be a class based upon both Magic and Attack (INT and STR / DEX). Reason why there are some swords that increase both ATT and Magic ATT.

• Like Like x 2