1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Magician AP Allocation & Scrolling

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Danger, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Danger

Danger Mano

Jan 5, 2016
    Male
    United States
    12:19 PM
    Danger
    Gunslinger
    Hey there,

My question was actually sparked by this thread here by Mr Maple. For background purposes, I played Global MapleStory about 8-9 years ago and was pretty young (12/13) at the time. I wasn't a complete idiot with regards to allocating AP/SP, but even now it seems there is a lot I still don't know. I've tried my best to consult as many sources as possible in order to learn what's best to do, but it's pretty hard to find coherent information, especially since the game has evolved drastically over that period of time.

Basically I thought that a Magician who allocated 4 INT and 1 LUK per level would be good. Alternatively, adding 5 INT for four levels and 5 LUK for one level would provide more MP, while still allowing for equips to be worn. However, after reading that thread, Noods and nanop33 indicated that it is advisable not to put ANY points into LUK.

I guess my first question is what benefit does having all the points in INT provide (is it only higher maximum MP and higher damage)? Also, what are the downsides to not having points in LUK other than not being able to wear standard Magician equips and less EXP lost at death? Should I also try to keep LUK at 4 as well as STR and DEX?

My second question is in regards to scrolling. For all intents and purposes I would say the extent of my knowledge of scrolls is the ones that you can get from snails and other low-level creatures.

I'm not sure if there is a good source for this, but could someone explain to me what scrolling is? Further, what does "scrolling for INT gear" mean exactly? Also, why is scrolling for a pure INT mage expensive (is it the scrolls, the equipment itself, or something else)? Is there a range I should expect to pay?

Like I said, my knowledge on scrolling is very minimal. Thanks for bearing with me, and my apologies for the sheer number questions. If you happen to know of any outside sources I could check for answers to these questions, I'll gladly check those as well! I'd like as much help as I can get.

Alternative original thread link: http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/magician-warrior-attribute-points-help.7241/

2. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    6:19 PM
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    When spending points into luk you will never be able to get the same damage as a pure int mage. Since you dont need luk for anything (accuracy or simular) there is kinda no point in going this way unless you do not care about optimizing your damage.
    Or if you did not know this when starting to play on this server <--- me xP.

Scrolling is basically buying scrolls:
    http://bbb.hidden-street.net/search_finder/for int
    etc which give you int.

Int is very expensive cause of a thing called hp washing. Since you are a mage I wont go into this any further, but just know that this makes the demand and thus the price for int scrolls relatively high. These scrolls if they pass will enhance your equipment and will contribute to your over int, trained+gear. The higher your int is the higher your magic and thus the higher your damage.

There is no indication in how much your gear will costs since you will most likely never get perfect gear (hitting all 30/10%). This means you will need to keep scrolling to improve your gear every step of the way. Scrolling gear is not a necissarity but it will surely help you level quicker.

Final unrelated tip to help you further in maplelegends, below this there is a spoiler named FOR NEW PLAYERS. That is the section where most guides (made by maplelegends members) are stored in a organised fasion. This might be helpfull in the future.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    7:19 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    As a full Int Magician, getting good Int gear really is nowhere near necessary, I would say it's overrated. Since you have so much magic from your base Int, every other addition doesn't make that big of a difference.
    I would also recommend to go full Int if you just want the strongest/fastest leveling build.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    FearMeNowFearMeNow's explanation explains it mostly. To elaborate...

Why pure INT over normal Mage (INT+LUK)?

The answer is simple. As a Mage, your damage solely depends on your Magic. Magic = INT + Magic Attack. As such, 1 INT = 1 Magic Attack, so losing 100 LUK for INT means you gain 100 Magic. Yes, the items and equipment you can get as pure INT provide a bit less Magic Attack and INT, but the 100+ INT you'll additionally have makes up for that and makes you stronger. Also remember that there are LV. 130 LUK-less weapons for Mages, so you can get a lot of Magic Attack without LUK.

What's scrolling?

Well, as FearMeNowFearMeNow explained, a scroll has a certain success rate and if it succeeds, it gives the stats to the item. The lower the success rate, the higher the stat gain. Some scrolls also have a chance to destroy your item (Dark Scrolls). Every item can be scrolled a set amount of times (5, 7 or 10 times normally) and a slot is consumed with every scroll, regardless of success or failure (Unless you're using White Scrolls... Not relevant though). It basically gives you more stats, thus makes you stronger. As a Mage, all you'll ever need is INT, so you scroll your equipment with INT and Magic Attack. The scrolls are quite expensive, so there's that. It's all random so it's all about luck, really; that, and how persistent you are with continuously trying!

For Mages, scrolling isn't that important though. It's probably better to focus on leveling as Mage and possibly scroll INT equipment to sell.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    One INT = one magic attack and one magic defence. This is where a mage's damage comes from.
    I don't think there are any downsides, besides the ones you mentioned. Yes, you need LUK to wear higher level equipment, but all these equips would never give you more INT in the end than if you were to go all INT. As you don't need LUK as a mage, it's self-explanatory that mages go full INT. On top of that, there are high leveled elemental staffs that do not require any LUK, so you do not miss out on any good weapons either.
    When you use a scroll on any of your equipment, you have a chance to transfer the stats of that scroll to your equipment. There are different kinds of scrolls, such as 10% scrolls where the chance is very low that the stats will transfer to your equipment, but the stats are much higher than a 100% scroll for example. You can see how high the percentage of the success rate is and which stats it will give by hovering hover a scroll. If a scroll fails, the stats will not be transferred to your equipment, but the scroll will still be used up and your equipment will still lose a 'slot'. Slots are a way of measuring how many times a scroll can be used on that specific equipment. If you use a scroll it will fill a slot, doesn't matter if it succeeds or fails. You can see how many slots are left on your equipment by hovering over it.

INT scrolls are very expensive, because no matter what class you are, it's nice to have INT. As you know, more INT means more MP when leveling up, and more MP means more HP when you're HP washing (HP washing is irrelevant to mages). INT gear is usually low level, common equipment that every class can wear that is scrolled with INT scrolls. When training, just before people level up, they switch to this gear so that they have a bit of INT to get more MP when leveling up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:19 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Yeah there really isn't much of any benefit to putting points in luk aside from the obvious: equips and lesser death penalty. You'd also get more avoid... which might bump your chance to dodge a powerful mob from 2% to 5%? Still not worth it.

Death penalty: There's a thing called safety charms. Whether you lose 10% or 6%, you still probably want to avoid dying regardless.

Equips: imo the only thing being able to wear the mage equips is good for is slightly higher mdef, and higher wdef. But these statistics make little to absolutely no difference past level 90.

Lukless mages have a major advantage over mages with regular luk simply by virtue that there are powerful weapons they can use that require no luk whatsoever. They also generally don't upgrade/switch gears often as they level, which makes it easier to have good gear earlier on. When you have luk in the normal sense, all it is is a game of hunting new gear which makes marginal difference and then maybe trying to scroll it. You'd waste so much time and money trying to stay up to date with your gears, that it's just a waste of scrolls. And all this effort is so you can still have sub-par damage compared to a lukless mage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Spell damage:
    MAX = ((Magic²/1000 + Magic)/30 + INT/200) * Spell Attack
    MIN = ((Magic²/1000 + Magic * Mastery * 0.9)/30 + INT/200) * Spell Attack

Isn't that the correct formula here? then how is 1 INT equal to 1 M.att?
    I've never really gottten into mages so idk...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    That formula is right, but Magic in that formula has the formula Magic = INT + Magic Attack.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    That means int would add more to your damage.

10. OP
    OP
    Danger

Danger Mano

Jan 5, 2016
    Male
    United States
    12:19 PM
    Danger
    Gunslinger
    FearMeNow: Thank you for the links! I didn't realize that it referred to buying the scrolls. I do know a little bit about HP washing but I had thought (as Poofcakes confirms) that it wasn't really a thing for Magicians. I realize that it is very unlikely/time consuming to get perfect gear, wasn't super keen on the low probability of all that. Also I did see the guide directory in your signature and I can already tell it will be be immensely helpful. Thank you! :)

Slime: Thanks for the advice. I do like to optimize stats as best as possible (which is why I'm even posting in the first place I guess haha), but it does sound like the gains are marginal at a certain point.

Marty: Thank you for the breakdown on INT and LUK, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was a little confused by 1 INT being equal to 1 Magic Attack because in the formula you gave wouldn't it just be Magic = INT * 2 since INT is equal to Magic Attack? It's probably just a misunderstanding on my part, but I get that the important bit is that a LUK-less magician will be stronger without the equips because of the huge gain to INT. Also thank you very much for further explaining scrolling, it sounds like a bit of work that isn't hugely rewarded fro mages, and that it's not absolutely necessary from the start.

Poofcakes: Good to know that pure INT will end up with more INT than a standard build with equips, that is definitely a deciding factor for me. I really appreciate the breakdown on scrolling, I had a very rough idea of how the mechanics worked exactly but now thanks to all of you I feel much more knowledgable on the subject. With regards to the price of the INT scrolls, it makes sense with supply/demand in mind, especially due to the fact that HP washing requires the boosted INT for more MP.

Lionheart: Thanks for elaborating on the (albeit small) benefit of LUK. I like to keep the long term in mind, so it's good to know equips don't help much past level 90. The insight on buying new gear often makes sense, I would always skip a few sets before I bought new stuff just because it seemed like a waste since it became obsolete so quickly.

Overall it seems like the system was somewhat broken if the way they pointed people (a balance of INT and LUK) was in the end not as good as another way (pure INT). Thanks a ton everyone, this has been extremely useful/insightful. I'll keep doing my best to reply to everyone if there are more responses! :)

• Like Like x 1