1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ninja Ambush is TRASH, update it or remove it entirely Plz.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MtDowns, Mar 21, 2020.

1. MtDowns

MtDowns Mano

Sep 1, 2017
    Male
    1:19 PM
    AeonsTorn
    Shadower
    Agape
    ABSTRACT
    So I finally bothered to get the 4th job thief skill "Ninja Ambush" up to lvl 30, and boy-howdy this must be in the top 5 Worst skills in the entire game, just shy of 2nd job bowman's "Final Attack" (which should also be removed or have ~zero animation time/lag). It's supposed to be an AoE option for 4th job thief but it is worse than every single attacking option available to the thief class including basic "Attack", and for a 4th job skill I find that absolutely egregious.

QUALMS
    The skill describes that it does 100% dmg to up to 6 enemies at 200% range for 12 seconds, both of which percents could mean absolutely anything without declaring any kind of scaling. In testing I found that the skill only lasts for 13 strikes (at garbage 1908 flat dmg with or without a weapon equiped) across the 12 seconds. The biggest problem is that the skill seems to be locked at only affecting 6 mobs at any given time regardless of how many times the skill has been used and what other mobs may be in range.

The range is garbage. For reference, "Ninja Ambush" has shorter range than "Smokescreen" in every direction above, below, left and right. It seems closer to the range of "Band of Thieves" but still seems shorter in many instances. "Ninja Ambush" CANNOT hit below you AT ALL. In testing I found it hard to even get 6 enemies in range to hit all at once, and the effect period is so short I couldn't confirm that through multiple inputs of the skill if it would even allow for more than 6 enemies to be under the effect at any given time. So when running around and spamming the skill, I never counted more than 6 enemies taking damage from the skill at any time, unlike the case with F/P's "Poison Mist" for example.

The Damage is garbage. With my crummy dagger, my character's damage range is 4043-7133 but "Ninja Ambush" seems to want to only do 1908 dmg (with and without any weapon equipped). So when the skill says 100% damage I don't know what it's 100% of. In total, one input of the skill can deal (1908 dmg * 13 =) 24804 dmg to any one mob over the course of 13 seconds. This damage is far weaker than every other skill in the thief class repertoire, including passive poison and basic attack. Also I should note for those who don't know that the skill doesn't kill, it just reduces mob health to 1, which is fine, just thought I should mention it somewhere.

As it stands, "Ninja Ambush" is trash all the way up to level 30. It's effect is horrible for the amount of time it takes to accumulate, its effect lasts for a dismal amount of time, and its range and restrictions make it annoying to use. Nobody wants to burn the time required to execute the input animation, and so nobody wants to ever put SP into it. If no changes are made, I want my 30 SP back >.<

RECOMMENDATIONS!!!
    1) Change the damage calculations to either match the poison calculation on "Venomous Stab/Star" or to use 100% of the unmodified character damage range when the skill is maxed at level 30.

2) Adjust the range to be more comparable to "Smokescreen", "Poison Mist", "Explosion", or "Shout" and the like.

3) Increase the "Ninja Ambush" effect timer to 40 seconds to match "Poison Mist" and not the dismal 13 strikes.

4) Allow the "Ninja Ambush" effect to affect more than 6 mobs at once. Ideally, make the effect timer reset on each of up to 6 enemies in the range of the attack for each input.

These changes would effectively allow 4th job thieves to spam around a map with AoE damage much the same as F/P mages can with "Poison Mist". If the effect is allowed on bosses then it would create a more interesting dynamic for bossing strategies and expand levels depth/strategy, however might be unfair since mages can't do the same with mist. I think these changes would be beneficial as it would create branching paths for what players might consider the "optimal path" for skill allocations at level up.

Here are some screenshots showing some of my findings.

Miss above and below.jpg Miss below.jpg
    13 Hits.jpg

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    1:19 PM
    Shadower
    Beaters
    It has the use of being so useless no shad would ever put points into it, so you can abuse the taunt bug and reset all your points from taunt into ninja ambsuh and get that dank exp with level 1 taunt

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    10:19 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Before it was usable on bosses. It'd give you 2k dmg instead of 6 when it cancels. Even that has been removed

4. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    10:19 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Shads skills being good, nice joke

5. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    4:19 PM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    Yeah I've felt the same way about ninja ambush being a skill that's completely void of utility, (mine is at lvl 1 forever) but at the same time I can't really complain. Shads have such a versatile toolkit by 4th job it's like do we really have any use for ninja ambush? Boomstep is such a great mobbing attack already, I can't in good conscience say that we deserve an AOE attack. What kalash said about it working on bosses during cancels is interesting, but we also already have an advantage during cancels in that we can charge assassinate

Even if ninja ambush did 100% damage as stated, I feel like it's still not even worth using to train or farm considering the cast time and poor range of attack. The only use I've been able to find for ninja ambush is drawing a crowd of mobs around me while killing an area boss like dodo or black crow, so that I'm constantly taking hits from the mobs instead of the boss (which usually results in more misses too). That typically works because assassinate is pretty good at locking onto the boss instead of the mobs