1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Owls purchasable for mesos suggestion

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Yozich, May 17, 2017.

Are you in favour of this addition?

1. Aw yes *-*

2. I don't mind either way c:

3. Hell no >:c

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yozich

Yozich Wolfspider

Jul 9, 2015
    Male
    Pluto
    2:11 AM
    Taka/Icetap/Sake
    Hero, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    ~Demure~
    Hi!

I'm writing this thread to suggest an addition in the cash shop: Owls purchasable for mesos!
    Now hear me out, the market has increased a lot in size lately, due to the increased playerbase, which is awesome! The Free Market is pretty much completely full on channel 1, and loads of scrolls/items are available. Unfortunately this causes some issues to appear. You can't really browse the whole FM without spending hours, and FM 1-6 spots are crucial if you want your stuff to sell a little faster. And in general things tend to sell slowly, compared to the playerbase.
    Now, some people may say this nostalgic and GMS-like, and sure it is, but we can be better than that. There's no need to change the way the Free Market works. I believe this very simple addition will make things go a lot smoother. I've talked with a few friends about it, and they all agreed that it seemed like an easy fix. I'm not sure what the price should be, but in my opinion 500k seems reasonable. It's not going to be over used, and some people might still prefer the NX version. Not to mention it's a nice meso sink SlimeSmile

This is what it would look like:
    [​IMG]

And again, what I'm suggesting isn't to change the Owl of Minerva, but rather the addition of one purchasable for mesos ^-^ They should both be available, and the players can choose themselves which they prefer.

Anyways I added a poll so you can state your opinion :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    6:11 PM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    I'm really againt it :cautious:
    That's so "ROYAL" and so wrong because that will impact the merching.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jess

Jess Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2016
    Male
    Canada
    5:11 PM
    Jess, osooso
    Corsair
    Noir
    I like this idea, however it may be too advantageous for people with a lot of money. Maybe having a limit on how many can be purchased in a day for each user would help?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I've been saying this the whole time just for my thread to get locked.

Anyway, buying owls for mesos is a good idea, though I'm not sure what the price should be. 500k sounds a little high for my tastes. Either way, don't care if the "rich benefit more", that's basically the whole name of the game. Only the rich can afford to buy or scroll their godly gear, the rest have to deal. Should be the same thing with the owls. Just let there be some meso sinks AND an easier way to search the FM. It's win win for everyone and would actually help the economy if anything.

If owls cost less NX, that would be great too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    7:11 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Reasonable meso sink? PogChamp

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Non mercher here. Checking FM is a pain in the ass. And i got 30 scrolls and quite a few items stored because i cant be bothered with the shitshow FM is now.

Make owls free or give us some other way to check items.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    owl meso sink idea is either not well thought out, or maniacal in nature

if both a sink and easier FM searching is needed, owls should be free and the tax rates raised. Should also be made impossible to circumvent them if haven't done that already

I don't see much need for a sink with price levels where they're at currently, though.

Eventually sinks will be needed to combat inflation to keep the market friendly for new/returning players, unless kimmy has some more event plans that introduce rare items to the masses up her sleeve

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Maniacal? Not well thought out? If both methods are reasonable and more or less accomplish the same thing, where do you get off saying that? I think the problem is way too many people would object to owls being free AND the tax rate being raised. It just doesn't seem fair to have shit stolen from you just for trading. What is more fair is receiving a good or service in exchange for your mesos: hence, the owls for mesos. Plus, if the owls were all free, I have a feeling massive use on them could put undue stress on the server. Who knows how the owl search function was coded?

There are billions upon billions of mesos floating around the server, even with Cozy gone. Rare items or not, it's still there, and you should know that inevitably will lead to inflation or the situation where mesos become undesirable. And I think I'm already seeing that.

9. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    8:11 PM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    the idea of mesos for owls i think is fine given that they're for buying items with mesos anyway, and also gives a meso sink for the inevitable inflation (due to the high number of current players)

the numbers can be tweaked though

• Like Like x 3
  10. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    In my opinion, owls are already pretty cheap (I think 6 for 3k nx?) and giving them for free or for very few mesos is not a good idea. Again, speaking only for myself right now I do enjoy looking through FM and hope to find something cheap either to merch it myself or keep it for myself. I enjoy doing this and hopefully find something cool and that motivates me in doing so. If anyone had unlimited number (or a very high number) of owls for free, this wouldn't exist. I really enjoy FM surfing and even do it twice through all rooms per day just because I like finding cool stuff...

You can get 18 owls in 2 days using nx... is that really insufficient?

11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well, consider people usually want to spend their nx on other things like cosmetics, pets, AP resets, and gachapon...

12. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    That's true and there is where prioritizing comes into play... Of course people want to get tons of gacha tix and maybe tons of different nx outfits too but you will have to set your priorities in a certain way. 6 owls for 3k nx is imo nothing compared to the nx ppl use for gach and AP resets. I personally do just buy 1 pet and a whole nx outfit which all lasts for 3 months (a lot of time) and everything in total doesn't add much nx compared to that what you get from 3 months of voting... but again I think it is just a matter of prioritizing how you want to spend your nx but come on... 6 for 3k is not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    A true capitalist and market manipulator would call those objectors "useful idiots," unless of course they enjoy the process of searching through the FM. I would call those folk finger masochists :roflmao:

The taxation is theft argument? Meh. I agree that coercive taxation is theft, but nobody is being forced to trade. Being in the position to trade benefits you in the game, though, so my opinion is that that benefit should come at an appropriate cost. It must be remembered that not everyone is in the position to trade, at least not in the same volume. A tax rate hike would benefit the average player and put a check on both the serial trader and hardcore gamer. Owls purchaseable for mesos at a 500k price level, however, would likely benefit the latter two and not affect the former. Ergo, it would disadvantage the average player.

For owls to function as a legitimate meso sink the price level would have to be so high that buying them would put the player at an economic disadvantage in exchange for a quality of life improvement.

You underestimate the powerlevel of the legends developers

I don't login often, but the likely reasoning for you feeling the inflation bug creeping up is due to the anniversary event ending and less valuables being introduced to the market for sale because of it.

So the NX owl purchaser is disadvantaging himself economically in exchange for a quality of life improvement that could help them find a good deal quicker than an owl-less trader? Sounds like a fair trade off to me, but two very important differences must be distinguished. Those being: NX is limited, mesos are not. Meso attaining speed is level based, NX is not.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    We aren't talking about the same thing. Free owls and higher taxes accomplishes nearly the same thing as owls that cost money. A true capitalist would agree that a fair, voluntary trade of mesos for owls is the way to go as opposed to arbitrarily stealing more money from people for absolutely no reason. All that will do is make them want to avoid the tax and make trading more complicated and prone to scamming because of the tax evasion.

What the hell does that even mean? That's like saying nobody is being forced to kill monsters or use potions. But you can't play the game without doing any of those. This is how the game works: you kill mobs and do quests, you likely find something you can't use yourself. So you sell that item or trade it for an item you can use. If you never trade, you may as well be playing all by yourself. You will have an extremely hard time farming everything by yourself and wind up throwing away 90% of everything else since it is useless to you.

More tax doesn't benefit the average player. That only means they're being punished less, in an absolute sense. But they're still being punished the same in a proportional sense.

Your "serial trader" probably prefers to go through the FM by hand, and if they did bother purchasing owls, they'd only do so if they thought it might be profitable. Your average player would probably buy owls whenever they felt like it. Hardcore players.. I don't know, what does that even mean?

The point is that this whole thread/suggestion isn't about removing mesos from the economy, so focusing all on an unrelated tax hike and twisting the original suggestion further into something many people would object to isn't going to help anyone.

But if it's too high, no one will buy them regardless, and it will still be a failed meso sink.

Nah, it's always been in maplestory, and it will always be in any MMORPG for that matter. The mesos are out there, and you see the manifestation of inflation through the price of godly scrolled endgame gear. Or hell, even clean endgame items.

You realize that if the point of the owl is to find a good deal faster, but if its cost is too high, the whole purpose of its existence is negated, right? The owls cannot just be priced stupidly high, either in mesos or nx, otherwise a player may as well just buy the first item they see and call it a day.

And actually, mesos are limited. One can only farm so much mesos per hour, give or take some variation based on RNG. And there's only so many hours per day and only so much freetime one has. The problem is effort. It takes minimal effort reach the limit of NX per day, but it takes an obscene amount of effort to reach that meso cap per day.

But maybe we are splitting hairs here, as it is possible to generate so many mesos over a period of a year or so that it will overflow the integer cap. When players start hitting that (some already have) the economy is already in big trouble.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    Demure
    Can we add letters per reply restriction?
    Like 500max?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    Demure
    As for the thread I say Heeelll to the fuckin no.
    It's unfair for those who wasted tons of nx on owls so far.
    Also it's mesos snowball. If you're already rich and can afford owls, you will be ablr to merch faster and better. The more money you can spend on owls the more profit you will get. RIP those who can afford 1? Rich will become richer. Poor will stay poor. No, thx.

17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Ok, how is this "unfair"? Anyone who bought an owl with nx at the time did so knowing full well they would not spend that nx on anything else. So if you bought a bunch of owls, you obviously thought it was worth the price of an ap reset or a couple gach tickets. That's totally your call. Now the price has changed.

Let's say you're at the store and buy some milk. The next week you go and get some, it's 50% off. Are we gonna scream "omg that's unfair to everyone who bought milk last week!" Or maybe stop looking at the negative, look at the positive, and maybe partake in it yourself?

I swear, with this kind of mentality, you cannot make any change without someone complaining something is unfair.

HAHA, if only it was that simple. The first thing I want to point out is that purchasing an owl would directly take money out of the economy, as in permanently deleting those mesos. Then further trades plus the taxes take out more money. So even if players merching do get richer, the overall mesos in the economy is decreasing.

Let's see an example of this in action.

Let's say you're merching and buying owls and sweeping in to buy stuff low so you can sell it for more. You use an owl, find a couple claw 30% scrolls, so you pay 500k and make a profit of 8m. That's great! You do this on several more items. You find a few more things to flip. Haha, you're rolling in dough!

Now we wake up in the real world. There's like 50 other guys trying to merch at the same time, and lots of them beat you to it. You blew millions on owls and hardly found anything to flip due to the fierce competition. Rich getting richer? I think not.

TLDR: the "mesos snowball" only exists in a fantasy world where only one person ever is buying owls and flipping everything.

Also, the whole economy is not a zero sum game. Mesos and new items are constantly being produced by hunting monsters, bossing, and gach, so it's not like one person can monopolize everything on the market via owls.

18. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    martin i love u but this really isn't a solid argument SlimeSad

• Like Like x 3
  19. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    If owl was able for free to everybody the game would be so much less interesting... I mean asking for prices in buddy chats / guilds or asking for items in alliance to avoid FM surfing or even yelling in FM they all have their own charm. Going to certain FM rooms because you know that in the 3rd floor there is the Reno Goodies guy or the guy who sells the summon and magic rocks or going to the last floor to look for Spyro with his troll prices... it is entertaining. I will repeat this because this is what bothers me the most... the owl are not expensive! if you tell me you can't save for owls because you have to spend it all on gacha tix or infinite nx clothing that means either you don't prioritize your "needs" well enough or you are just greedy. I know AP resets are expensive but you could get 6 owls for the price of 1 single AP reset.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Krauser94

Krauser94 Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Krauser94
    Shadower
    Nebula
    I don't like the idea, mainly because i think it's already good feature. I mean, of course ppl want to use nx on other stuff for sure, but that is your choice. You are not forced in any moment to use the nx on them, you can just have a lot of patience and look for it.(Considering you are trying to get some millions i dont see why it should be that easy)

I use the owls and for me is great the current state, mainly because im not a hardcore seller. That's why i see those who are merching are struggling but honeslty, this is a server that's hard enough in every way, it's not nothing new, so i think all of us are used to this, jus that the community is growing more now and there are more and more stores.

(With that said, i dont mean to stand against other ppl opinion, they are all valid, just like mine is for me i guess. o.o)

Edit: i must admit that atleast the fact of "they are for buying/selling for mesos, lets use mesos on them" is a way to see it as an investment, like, if you want it really bad at a good price, pay more. I guess i can accept that argument.

Last edited: May 18, 2017