1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Patch Buccaneer Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by shot, Sep 8, 2018.

1. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    4:52 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Hey guys! FoxF2
    I know it has been a couple of months since the patch has been introduced, but I wanted to play around with these changes for awhile first before giving my thoughts on it, instead of hastily jumping into conclusions about how these changes have impacted buccaneer's play style as a whole.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our wonderful staffs in Legends community for listening and trying to implement changes based on frustrations felt by majority of buccaneers in the server. I understand it hasn't been an easy job to strike a good middle ground to not make changes that are too drastic, so I appreciate you guys for trying your best on making these classes more viable compared to THE meta classes on this version of maplestory. :)

Anyways, let's begin!

POST-CHANGES

In general, I really like the changes that had been made from the previous patch- the iframe duration of ds/barrage combo and demolition became longer, making me slightly harder to get hit than before, energy charge rate is increased = more frequent stance duration, and most importantly, the stance has been increased from 50% to 75%, meaning the chance to get knocked back during the charge is less. However, I believe there are still more changes that can be done to further improve the quality of life for buccaneers. Let me deconstruct how these changes have impacted me one by one:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Post Delay Reduction- Generally, these changes have made me slightly harder to get hit from bosses such as zak and ht. It's a change that I was definitely able to notice (especially dragon strike/barrage combo), but it still felt like a subtle change where I was still getting hit relatively often. There were also a very slight improvement in damage (~5-7% increase in overall dpm) but again, it was very subtle. The only skill I was not able to test out too much was snatch because I am still in the process of maxing out, but I can see that as becoming a great mobbing skills especially when stacked with SE. Overall, I believe the change was positive and I am more than happy with these changes right now.

[​IMG]
    Stance/Energy Charge Rate- Personally, I was not thinking for charge rate to be increased, but that was one of most noticeable and positive changes that I really do not think I can go back to pre-patch after using it. One of reasons I liked it so much was because now I was able to get a stance much faster (I think about 30% faster than before). Speaking of.. STANCE!! The increase of stance from 50% to 75% was definitely a welcoming change for improving quality of life for buccaneers. Now don't get me wrong, I still get knocked back pretty frequently during bosses like HT, but it was definitely less, making me less stressful when I had to climb my way back to the platform.

[​IMG]
    SI Range Increase- I'm lovin it <3

SUGGESTIONS

Now here are my suggestions that I'd like to see in the near future:

Increase the stance during energy charge from 75% to 90%: In my opinion, this is by far the most needed changes that can drastically improve the quality of life for buccaneers. And for people that thinks this would make the class too overpowered, let me explain why it really won't:
    1. Stance is only activated when energy bar is fully charged- that means when energy charge is not activated, there is zero chance of having stance, which is still ~70% of state people will be on while energy bar is getting charged. So I do not see any reason for this to make the class overpowered other than just making the class less annoying to play during bossing like HT. (hopefully other buccs can agree with me for how annoying it is to constantly get knocked down and have to go back up the rope, only to get knocked down again over and over)
    2. Our iFrame is still not long enough to avoid a lot of attacks- Just like shadowers, we have skills with iFrames to avoid getting hits from mobs. However, what makes our skills different than shadowers is that our duration of iFrame is much shorter, with addition of lacking skills like shadow shifter once we do get hit and lacking high natural avoidability.
    So overall, I really do not believe increasing the stance will make the class overpowered, rather make less frustrating to play.

Increase the Energy Charge duration from 50 seconds to 60 seconds: I feel like the duration of charge is still a little too short in my opinion, so having a little buff on this buff as well would further help to maintain already the short duration of stance.

Increase the range of Barrage: As of current state right now, the damage gap between barrage/ds combo vs demolition is too big (I can deal ~50% more dpm with demo), and I believe increasing the range of barrage would be a first step in the right direction to remedy that. The reason I say this is because the natural damage of barrage is way too low compared to corresponding levels from other class, and the only way for me deal a sub-par dpm is to have demolition up and running, but that is a skill that I cannot make it stay up for 100% of time. Now, this doesn't mean I want the class to become powerful in lines with heros or dks, rather to just close the dpm gap because imo right now, buccs still probably deal the lowest dpm compared to other cleaves.

Increase the mastery for Dragon Strike: this once is a little minor, but I think being able to deal more consistent damage using ds would be a nice addition as well. I do not like the fact that I have to rely a lot on RNG to deal whether I will deal either 18k or 30k to the mob. As a result, making the damage more consistent would also help with further improving the quality of life as a buccaneer.

Feel free to leave any other feedbacks here if you think I missed anything, or have other opinions on how it should be balanced :)
    Thanks!

EDIT: rephrased some sentences. Thanks! @julianlee93

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vera

Vera Dark Stone Golem

Sep 27, 2016
    Female
    ei
    12:52 PM
    Nolo
    Buccaneer
    Demure
    As a fellow bucc I very much agree with all of the stuff you brought up.
    Having more stance is for sure the most important thing that I feel like would be really really REALLy helpful, and other minor tweaks here and there are always appreciated (and also super helpful), since life quality as a bucc is never going to reach that nl greatness anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rasenganjedi

Rasenganjedi Slimy

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:52 AM
    Buccake
    Buccaneer
    Nebula
    I haven't played much lately (or at all) but I have noticed a few things since i started playing every now and then. I did not know stance was increased which is neat to know. I haven't noticed the post delay really, but I haven't bossed with it so that's probably why. I do like your suggestions though don't know how to exactly feel about 90% stance yet.
    I'm happy to see how far bucc has come since end 2016, since I played till lvl 90 before the first improvements to delay where introduced, I wish I had more consistent damage but my gear is shit so that's probably why.
    Just spoke a bit of mind that's why it's a bit random.

4. OP
    OP
    shot

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Hey!
    I would be more than happy to know your insights behind why you don't like having more stance, as I already explained my reasonings on my main post.

Perhaps it's matter of our each background? Me personally, I'm coming from perspective where the majority of my leveling came from bossing at ht between 155-179. And I can't think of how many times I was frustrated because either I fell off because energy charge was not active, or stance simply did not work. Also as I stated above, stance is not a skill we can maintain for 100% of the time, so I don't see much reasons for giving us more breathing space when it's active. Heck, even shortly after v62 version of gms, buccs stance have been increased to 90%, and I don't remember anything breaking at all.

But that's just my opinion :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rasenganjedi

Rasenganjedi Slimy

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:52 AM
    Buccake
    Buccaneer
    Nebula
    Well my opinion on stance has been changed a few times. I do like the idea of 90% stance, but my gripe was usually that some people wanted it because of horntail. In my eyes that wasn't a good enough reason to change a skill because of one boss. You didn't hear about stance alot since when i made my bucc, only 2 buccs could ht as attackers, so when all of a sudden people started complaining about stance, i didn't really know what to think of it, since i didn't have a problem with it because i grinded alone (still do actually)
    And didn't do horntail until 155.
    May seem weird but that's my perspective on it.

6. OP
    OP
    shot

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    That is true. The main reason I want it is because of horntail, and I still think that is a valid reason to buff stance. Hear me out on this:

After you reach 155, getting an exp from horntail becomes one of very few options you get to progress towards end level. Sure you can still train, but more you level from 155+, more exp is required to level = much longer time to self train. On the other hand, doing ht not only give a reasonable amount of exp, but also becomes a new source of income for selling sb. And adding with the fact that you get to do one with 5-11 other people, it is also a great place to hang out and socialize. So for improving quality of life for end game buccaneers, I believe having increased stance is a necessity for hunting end game bosses.
    And as more and more buccs reach ht stage of their level, I'm sure they will feel the same way as I did.

7. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    5:52 PM
    Dazzle
    Magician
    Seems weird to change a skill just because of a specific use of it, i.e. in horntail, not bossing in general

8. OP
    OP
    shot

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    It is bossing in general actually. I was mentioning HT as a specific example because its the most annoying boss to deal with when not having stance. Same thing would apply to zak, pap, pianus, toad, and so on.

9. Vera

Vera Dark Stone Golem

Sep 27, 2016
    Female
    ei
    12:52 PM
    Nolo
    Buccaneer
    Demure
    Well, the biggest problem people have is ht, since its the main exp, meso and social end game content.
    but as a person who likes to do all random shit, having stance everywhere would help so much.
    for example doing pap as a bucc is a big joke. it takes me like 20min to solo it even tho i have a relatively decent dpm, cause i cant stay on the platform since i get knocked down. if im down, i cant have buffs up, cause pap will debuff me instantly. Ive been able to do pap decently with almost any of my other chars that is over lvl 130, but with bucc its the most annoying shit that ive ever done in this game.

the stance problem applies for other bosses aswell, like zakum.

Just grinding and farming in general. trying to go though a map and kill mobs, i waste so much time just falling down platforms, since i have no stance. People who have seen a bucc struggle know what im talking about for sure.

10. NguyenKh17

NguyenKh17 Red Snail

May 30, 2018
    Male
    5:52 AM
    AmariaSylvan
    Beginner, Buccaneer
    Honor
    The fact that this post is 6 months old and no 90% stance found just made me sad. And I agree that pap is the most annoying boss I had to solo.