1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retrieving borrowed equip from banned player.

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by solameyap, Dec 16, 2018.

1. solameyap

solameyap Mushmom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    3:06 PM
    Beginner
    Hi all! I've been an active player of ML for going 2 years now. Most people will know me as Genosis (lv 154 Bishop) in the game. I've been very frustrated because of a recent series of ban. Basically one of my friends in ML got banned for Real World Trading and according to him.. Is currently appealing for over a week now...

The thing is, I've recently bought from him a claw (76 att red craven) for 1.02 billion and its my end game claw for my NL. I know the amount may not be a lot for many high level players.. but it was all that I had at that point of time and I had to work really hard grinding scrolls and (SO MANY HOURS) of selling leech services after work (I'm currently serving the army), along with my savings for the past year.. before reaching that goal. I've never reached the billion mark before and therefore it was the first time I managed to do it. Eventually I managed to purchase the claw from him.

Later on, that same player asked me if he could borrow the claw for bossing because he bombed his own with a clean slate. At that point of time, I believed nothing could go wrong from that. Since my own night lord is still unable to equip the claw yet, I just thought that I should help him out. I genuinely felt sorry for his loss (he had a 80+ attk claw). He was holding it for awhile and I've been asking for it back. I believe I was VERY patient, and just kept waiting. Just a week ago I asked for it back again and it was then that he revealed that he got perma banned.

I felt that it was really unfair. I've been grinding and making my way up for the 2 years... playing legally and following the rules. Now.. an act of kindness back-fired on me and I'm left to be helpless. Since its a small server, its almost impossible to find another claw like that and I'm out of mesos myself.. Its really frustrating. I've tried contacting the player for awhile now but there was no response as I was told that he's busy with work.

I've got no choice and this is my last resort. If there is any GM who can help me out, I will really appreciate it a lot. For my fellow ML players, please help me bump the thread up so it'll become noticeable for them. I have got all the evidence that whatever I said above is true. I have a screenshot of the claw itself too. Please help me out by retrieving the claw. I love the game and really don't wish to end things here just yet :(

Thank you so much for your time reading. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    1:06 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Did you try making a ticket of your own? That's the best place to start. Although this GM team does not have a good history of even returning "scammed" items back to the victims.

This is why I never lend out any equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    solameyap

solameyap Mushmom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    LionheartLionheart making a ticket? I don't know what that means so I doubt so. Thks for your response thou :)

4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    It means make a thread here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?forums/report-abuse.90/

or here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?forums/character-issues.94/

The first forums might be suitable if it's similar to a case of "omg I got scammed" (he asked to borrow the claw, then never gave it back, technically). The second one would generally be appropriate if it doesn't fall under the abuse section.

Make sure you have screen shots and proof of this either way, because the staff will have to investigate it.

5. OP
    OP
    solameyap

solameyap Mushmom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    Hmm I won't consider it scam since he got banned. That's why I didn't reveal the person. Up till now I still want to have some faith in him although he hasn't reply my messages for awhile now. But thks a lot :) I'll try it if this doesn't work. Really appreciate it LionheartLionheart

6. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    solameyap

solameyap Mushmom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    Yes I know there isn't much he can do either. But thank you for your kind advice! I'll do that and hopefully I'll be able to get the claw back. iLovKimberlyiLovKimberly

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. OhDoggo

OhDoggo Selkie Jr. Retired Staff

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    7:06 PM
    Bowmaster
    Hi, sorry to hear about your unfortunate predicament. I will assume you know what risk means. As the lender, you should understand the risk of lending valuable equips to other players; i.e. the person stealing your equips and running away, the person getting banned or the person simply stops playing. Very rarely and under certain circumstances will we return lost gear. Unfortunately we will not be able to return you gear back to you, please be more careful with lending gear out next time. As for banned players, we absolutely do not return any gear that they take to the grave with them.

9. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    3:06 AM
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    =(

• Like Like x 1
  10. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    9:06 AM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    So much for being a tight knit community full of trust in lending equips to one another

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    solameyap

solameyap Mushmom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    Just got a few things to say before leaving the server.

I have no idea he's going to be banned? Like am I suppose to be a fortune teller? We were pretty close friends in maple and even have mutual friends in real life. I won't consider it mislending unless I barely know the person. It sounds like you guys are trying to push the blame here. Lending happens all the time. Its a kind act but everyone has the possibility of getting banned. What you guys are saying now is basically to not help one another.

In a small community like ML. Isnt it important that players help one another out? I definitely received lots of help from so many friends on my way up here. I have been playing this game for almost 2 years and I always remind myself to pay it forward. That's why its called a community and not a solo rpg game. When we help people out like in this case. The least that the GM can do is to give players some assurance that they will have their back when shit happens. And not telling the player "oh too bad you helped someone and you screwed up, its all on you".

I believe people who know me in game would know that I have always been nice. Not trying to take any credit for that but I thought that the GMs were supposed to protect players like us. Who wanted to play the game and support it genuinely while at the same time, defend us against players who abuse the game (scamming, hacking etc). I have never spent any money on private servers like these before but I went out of my way to donate to the server because I heard funds were needed especially during times like the ddos attacks. I know it isnt alot but I wanted to help. Too bad that now when I needed help. No one is there for me.

The GMs told me that the reason why they would not return my gear to me is because situations like these happened before and they did not do anything about it either, so it would be unfair to make an exception for me. I understand but at the same time, I hope there can be a change. What did not work before doesn't mean it won't work now. Please be more flexible and accept changes to rules which will obviously benefit good players.

Lastly, I took significant amount of time making my appeal under character issues (in a separate thread). Piecing the screenshots together to make it as easy to read as possible. The format posted there mentioned that I can expect a reply in 24 hours before I bump the thread again. I saw that the GMs read it. But there was no response. I did not bump the thread up until a few days later because I understand you guys are busy with the christmas event. But this continued for 2 weeks before telling me a simple 'NO'. I just felt like I was ignored. Even a simple 'we are currently busy and we'll get back to you later' or ''we are still discussing the issue' would have meant alot to me because I was logging into the forums everyday... expecting a reply.

I did not leave the server because of the claw. I left because I was disappointed. Still a great community though. I'm so thankful to every individual I've met in game. All you guys really made my 2 years worth it <3

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Does your close knit community include rule breakers? The entire community of ML does not.

13. vlad794

vlad794 Mushmom

May 9, 2017
    12:06 AM
    Assassin
    Like i told you on discord , something similiar happened to me and it was the gm's fault but hey even when it's their own fault they won't admit it , thats the kind of private server this is. Not even a "Sorry we made a mistake in your case"

14. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Can you stop mislead people with your story? You were hacked and the hacker violated rules on your account. It's not our fault, it's the fault that your account was breached into by someone on a VPN, which made it indeed a bit harder to find out, since you as user could just use a VPN as well, which people that do RWT absolutely do.

I told you this numerous times on discord now, and you are still swapping the story to everyone else.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    sorry this happened to u man, take care

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Everyone breaks a rule every now and then. Be it accidental vote abuse or botting, everyone has done it (by accident) at some point. People got banned for agro abuse without even knowing someone in their party did it (a buyer in a horntail run maybe). In my book that person can be considered innocent. Now if said person were to have borrowed some equipment, not only he would be punished, but also the person owning the equips.

I just meant to say that not being able to retrieve lost equips due to banned players might make it hard for some people to lend out equipment to others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    2:06 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    No, you are not supposed to be a fortune teller, nor I do not expect anybody to be one. However, what one could always do is to think twice about what you are getting yourself into and use your best judgement on whether to lend the equips or not. Especially on items where you have so much personal values, I hope you were well aware of the fact that you can always risk on losing the item, and that it is not our responsibility to enforce that. And no, it was not our intention to push the blame on you. I believe your intentions were good, it was just that your close friend decided to hit you against your back by taking the equips away and getting permanently banned from the server. One thing I can assure you is the fact that it takes some kind of major abuse to get permanently banned, which means that your friend definitely knew what he was getting himself into. So it's not you nor our fault. Blame your friend for making us come into this situation.
    I am not sure where you came into that conclusion. We were just trying to say to be mindful of things that you lend out, especially on items that you value a lot. And if you lend out valuable items to the point that would will make you quit the game, it's important to be even more careful or not lend out at all.
    You need to remember that there's so much we can do, and we really try our best to asses the situation and help with best of our abilities. The reason we cannot make rules like this more flexible is because doing so brings another can of worms and loopholes for people to exploit and makes our job a lot more difficult in the long run. I wish everybody that reported issues like these were all honest and truthful, but that's not usually the case with most of them trying to be selfish and take advantage of the system. Sure, we can try to cross reference them and determine whether proof was legit or not, but things like that usually takes hours to track everything down, which turns out to be very time consuming things to do. Adding with the fact that we get issues like this almost daily, the amount of time one has to spend daily to make this work would be very difficult. But yes, I do understand where you are coming from, and wish we could have looked into yours. But as a staff, we have to treat everybody fairly, which happens to be the case this time.
    That was definitely our fault without a doubt. Our response time usually isn't that long, but this was the case due to a lot of staff members being busy with IRL to spend time with their friends and families. In the end, we are just another player that likes to volunteer and help the server after all. But that still don't excuse us from this so we will try to communicate better and hopefully this won't be the case in the future.

I hope this shed a little bit of light on this issue and I wish you the best of luck in your next journey! :heart:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. vlad794

vlad794 Mushmom

May 9, 2017
    12:06 AM
    Assassin
    How is that a mislead? even if i got hacked 4 months to suddenly find new evidence? please atleast try to come up with something more believable. I'm just telling my story to him because i feel his pain and your constant excuses as to why not return him the claw when he has proofs he lent it to him. Just say you dont value your community and get it over with rather than making excuses like its his own fault.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    There's three possibilities I see here:

1) This guy you lent your valuable item to wasn't really a close friend as you say. You hardly knew him, and you foolishly lent something to him. Turns out he breaks a major rule and gets banned. Well, that's what happens sometimes when you lend things to strangers. You'd be lucky if he just didn't scam you.

2) You thought this guy was your friend, but he wasn't telling you what he was doing while borrowing this item that was so important to you. So maybe he isn't really the friend you thought he was.

3) You two really were close friends, and you knew what he was doing. You're lucky you aren't banned.

20. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    2:06 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Can't really comment on your incident because I wasn't in the staff at that time, but regarding the claw, I already explained that the issue is a bit more complicated than "you dont value your community."
    I already explained this too- it is not our fault to be mindful of things you lend out, nor OP's fault for trusting that person so much to the point he lend out items he valued so much. Rather, it was his friend that broke the promise, which ended up locking the item to the account with it. And no matter how many proofs there are to prove that the claw was his, retrieving an item from banned account opens bad precedents and brings inconsistencies in our moderation for others to follow in the future. Thus, it's important for us to be extra clear on matters like these and even clearer to players that might lend out items to really think through it first and all its risks associated with it.

Let me know if you need any further clarifications.