1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Secure Your Account

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:10 AM
    Moderator Post
    Hello Maplers,

There have been rumors going around that a past MapleStory Private Server stored account information in plain text, which caused a member who played on said server to get compromised on some of his other accounts from different places after the server did shut down.

With that being said, we want to remind you that you should always try to use an unique username and password in private servers (including MapleLegends) and avoid including your personal information for your own privacy and security. MapleLegends will never use your registration information in any way, shape, or form, but we still highly recommend that you do not use the same information here that you use elsewhere.

If you currently use the same password here as you do in other places (in particular other private servers), we highly recommend changing your password, which you can do by going here: http://maplelegends.com/my/account .

Thanks!

-MapleLegends Admins-

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  2. CHANEL

CHANEL Dark Stone Golem

Feb 7, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere in the world
    3:10 AM
    Steam
    Islander
    Southperry
    I changed my password even though I don't use same password for personal places.
    Thank you for letting us know! OnionPerfect

3. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    One more thing I should note is that your in-game password and forum password should differ too, as it increases the security by a lot. If one of them happen to get hacked, the other one is safe.

You can change your forum password by clicking here

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Bumping this.

I highly recommend people NOT to use same passwords everywhere to prevent being compromised due to a hacker from a different server, and if you get hacked, the damage is very minimal.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    10:10 AM
    How u expect me to remember two sets of Username/Password ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I remember more than 8 passwords.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    Ur a fairy , thats ur job
    Im just a sexy human beast , 8mb brain storage , no expend slots.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Thank you for the warning ^_^

9. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Bumping this up once again.

Do note that sharing your account is not only against our Terms of Service, but if you share your account, all damage that happens towards the account (stolen equips, stolen characters, deleted characters) is all your responsibility. We are not going to fix your account up nor refund anything, even if the sharing is admitted.

If you share someone's account with knowledge and you got caught, all the responsible people will be punished.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    Bump this once more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    8:10 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    ok c:

12. Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    That's what happens when the blood is circulating in your groin the entire time, brain cells start to die, time to retire the throne of being a faplord and start becoming a passlord.

• Like Like x 3
  13. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    12:10 AM
    NSFW
    Oh, I know this! Pen and paper!

I'll take 200,000 NX as my reward, KimberlyKimberly. Thanks.

14. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Bump.

Monthly-ish reminder to never use same account info in other Private Servers, or anywhere. I recommend having unique information everywhere, if you can. If its hard to remember, at least the password. We didn't really had any account hacking cases because we also have PIN, but I want remind everyone anyway. Once again, this also applies for sharing. If you get hacked because you've shared your account we will most likely not help with the situation, since its your own fault.

• Like Like x 3
  15. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    1 year later, still didn't got a case yet where someone got hacked! Not sure if due to PIN we have or nobody want hack a Legends account :l

However, still want bump as a reminder to never use the same password in other servers or services, including MapleLegends. An other server could easily close down and its unknown how they would store your info. Please make your Legends password separate from everything else to prevent being compromised.

• Like Like x 7
  16. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    as a person who got hacked in ems and had to quit, I love the fact that the lead-GM pays such close attention to these things and it's mportant to her to remind us to maintain our own account integrity. Thank you Kim!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    Thanks for the info :D ~

18. Poeticode

Poeticode Blue Snail

Apr 1, 2016
    Prophesi
    Cleric
    So, does MapleLegends encrypt our credentials before storing them?

And a security protip: Stop remembering passwords. Just use a password manager that you trust (LastPass, 1Pass, etc) and let it generate cryptographically-secure passwords for you. If you're not using a password manager, you're most likely re-using the same passwords constantly, coming up with weak easy-to-remember passwords, or writing your passwords down on sticky-notes within arms reach of your computer. All three of which drastically increase your hackability.

Another protip is to never answer security questions truthfully. It's very easy to find out personal info on people to guess what their security question answers are. But they'll never get it right if you give the wrong answers. Bonus points if you let your password manager keep track of it.

Though, that's not to say that password managers don't have problems of their own. LastPass, which I think is the only free-to-use manager, has had its fair share of security breaches, though I don't think anyone's password vault was compromised.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Of course not. Passwords get salted and hashed.

Edit: Emails are actually encrypted.

20. Poeticode

Poeticode Blue Snail

Apr 1, 2016
    Prophesi
    Cleric
    Thank goodness! That was a trick question. :p

For the curious:
    You'll want a database to hash your password before storing it. Hashing is similar to encryption, except that it can't be decrypted. This means there's no key for a hacker to steal to decrypt your sensitive info. And so even MapleLegends administrators wouldn't be able to access your password. If you're ever on a private server, and they're able to send your password back to you, then you're in trouble!

Salting provides defense against rainbow tables, but that's a topic above my pay grade. ;o