1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling of training maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gappi, Aug 4, 2017.

Have you ever bought a map?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. No

97 vote(s)
    89.8%
  1. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    2:39 PM
    Solstice
    This is a private server, not a free-for-all. Admins can implement whatever rules they want here.

Free-to-play means you don't have to have a subscription to play... not "I can do whatever I want".

E: Most of these rules are to prevent unwanted conflicts, such as targetting and annoying spam like smega'ing about how "X is a POS", etc.

This is also derailing from the topic of mapselling. If you want removal of all rules feel free to make a suggestions thread.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. VictorH

VictorH King Slime

Oct 28, 2016
    Victorinosky
    Warrior
    None
    again guys , im not asking for free to hack or be unrespectfull just asking a good play and removal of punishments for try to grind , progressing should be for all , not for just a few
    @mapowner is just a confflict
    lets all ve a community and play however it comes

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    Might have missed it, but this was already discussed not too long ago (With a bunch of input from Kimmy) so this thread's a bit redundant :p
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/should-this-be-allowed.13916/

Really don't think this is a problem at the moment, I've only seen the odd ''S> GS2 Map 1m'' smega every now and then.
    It's not like this is big money/is really profitable anyway. Seems people just enjoy making a bit of extra money once they're done with their grinding session there since the map is in super high demand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    1:39 PM
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    Mind your manners, and don't be a d-bag (because nobody thinks the same way as you do).
    And seriously, if you're done with the map...give it to someone else or just I dunno log off like normal people do...? You're "done" with training, but you're not "actually done" with it...it's ironic.
    By some people's extreme definition, one person can technically own a map indefinitely for days (which is highly unrealistic anyways unless you have no life)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    @mapowner is a very powerful tool. If somebody is clearly farming and they are the map owner, please respect that. Don't be a douche.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Qanu

Qanu Stone Golem

May 16, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands, EU
    8:39 PM
    HammerSlam
    White Knight
    GodDuckness
    Then again, isn't selling leech sort-of the same thing? The only difference is that seller whatever-self "trains" the buyer on the map instead of "trading" the map for meso.
    I stick with my opinion that it's not a real problem since there are more options to Lvl in mid game.

7. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    I wonder if it was against the terms and conditions to sell map in GMS :thinking:

8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:39 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    No, it absolutely is not the same thing. A person who is selling you a leech is offering you a service. Anyone can sell leech anywhere, anyone can buy them, there's basically no limit to this.

A person who is selling a map is hogging up a limited resource and demanding extortion so you can have it back. There are only 9 channels.

Mapowner was meant for resolving disputes over a map and preventing KSwars and unnecessary drama. Not this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    No mapowner in GMS.

I think selling maps is fine, but it needs to be an at your own risk thing. Taking up staff time to investigate if you get scammed over such an unenforceable thing would be ridiculous.

10. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    3:39 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Personally, i would never part with my hard earned money just to get a map since i can always train at other places even if they are not as efficient so my input for the poll would be no.

Just for my own input to the discussion.
    Is it morally right? I'd personally and definitely say no since its no different to taking advantage of others in my eyes.
    Yet if it was a question of whether it be deemed punishable? I'd also say no since the concept is the same as occupying a space and choosing to relinquish their place for small gains in real life.

And its also a very grey line to differentiate exactly who is wrong since mapowner does not tell us the duration which an individual has been in a map to justify his ownership of the place. Since i wouldn't mind if it was someone training there for sometime before deciding to try for some small earnings before parting but its a different story and one i hope won't become commonplace if some players search high and low for an empty channel just to occupy and demand payment for it. SlimeSad

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    8:39 PM
    Moderator Post
    Seeing the poll results I personally think people are over-concerned on this topic. It probably takes a seller a while to find a buyer, which makes it really boring for the seller and probably in end not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    you sure bout that? you dont think someone will leave their computer on all day? you dont think someone will wait 2-3 years to hp wash? etc.

13. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Outlawing mapowner in BishopStory TriHard

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    In order to maintain ownership they'd have to atleast attack every 9 minutes and 59 seconds.
    If they even are 1 second off, someone can easily just take the map from them.
    So yes it's highly unrealistic if you're just AFKing on your computer.

15. slycooper

slycooper Slime

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Beginner
    Selling maps is weak af why Tf we gotta pay a person to train on a public map that's some BS

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The poll results don't mean there isn't a concern, nor that there isn't a problem. The poll also doesn't show how many players were inconvenienced or stopped from training at a certain map altogether because of this practice. All it's simply asking is if anyone has bought a map.

A better question would be to ask, "Have you ever been negatively affected by map selling?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Zyku

Zyku Stone Golem

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Zyku, Vulpix, Expert
    I/L Arch Mage
    Agape
    Does this mean I can have 9 clients going on all Petri maps, constantly hitting to hold @mapowner and then no one can train unless they buy from me or I realize I am wasting my life and log off...?;)

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Someone could theoretically do this just to piss the staff and the whole community off. If you keep it up long enough, it will prove that someone being an asshole can be just a big a detriment as .. say... opening summoning sacks on all the 1st job advancements in all channels.

That used to be a thing, till it got taken out.