1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The age-old issue: New player and HP-washing

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by iara, Jul 3, 2018.

1. iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    4:02 PM
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    Just discovered this server less than a week ago, and I was enjoying it. I was having so much fun playing with my marksman (I love crossbow), getting all 5 stumpy, mano, King Slime and all of the low-level monsters. I never played old Maple so this was a new experience for me, so this was basically a new game experience in a total brand new world (the increased size in maps and diversity of mobs REALLY helps. Old Maple maps are just 1-screen-rooms). The game devs seemed to know exactly what Maplestory was about, and the only complains I had was petty things like little typos and Monster Book not being complete.
    I did saw several people buying INT scrolls and the like. At first I ignored it. I didn't knew what was so important. Maybe mages are just very popular?

Then I discovered what HP washing is.

Knowing that my character will not be able to do end-game content by an arbitrary bug ("feature" by some veterans) really dampens my mood, and even makes me not want to play any more (haven't logged in since last night) because "why I even bother" says my brain. I thought HP washing was just something optional but instead it just mandatory for my class simple because of poor game design (I didn't knew fully what it was about). I really do not want to play a mage or any character I don't like, in ways I do not want to play (Leeching people with a mage for example doesn't seems fun to me at all).

Being a new player with a less than 7 days account, what options do I have if I really want to make my first character a Marksman? I'm willing to restart my account and maybe allocate some points into INT and HP. But I am NOT willing make a mage just to farm money and INT equips (That's NOT enjoyable and it's not the way I want to play the game. Why should I be forced to play the game in a way I do not find enjoyable, just so that my main character, a marksman, can progress at all?).

I get mixed opinions from the Discord Servers and friends. People who want me to stay and enjoy the game for what it is say "you don't need to HP wash, you can get by just fine". While other people say "restart your character, no point in playing archer as your first one".

What's a new user with zero funds supposed to do? Can't I just remake my character, roll some INT, apply int on there and then use stat resets? Do I really need to make a mage just to enjoy the game?

I imagine this is not the first thread you guys see about HP washing.

EDIT: Small typos and expanded on the first paragraph introduction

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    5:02 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Oh, just follow the MapleTips. They'll guide you in the right direction. The veterans here are all liars. :3 Can't trust anyone that's spent time here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    What about stuff like Horntail's Monster Card? I do not mind not being able to do much damage (that was my problem in the NEW Neckson MapleStory after all. Damage is all that's cranked up to be there).

However, outright not being able to survive to Horntail's basic attacks is something else. I have read that even at level 180 a non-washed Marksman will have a hard time. And it's not like a Marksman damage and range are as good as mages or thieves. So this is just insult to the injury at this point, with the game basically telling me to shove my crossbow down where the sun doesn't shines.

I knew archers were on the weak side, but not like THIS.

4. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Was entirely sarcasm that I should have made more apparent, the MapleTips are what adds insult to injury. I've been thinking about making a suggestion to remove those misguiding messages, but didn't want to start drama. And... didn't want to make a thread like that just to have it censored.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    The MapleTips made me believe it was something not too important. Just an end-game feature like cubing is in Neckson's MapleStory.
    Lo and behold, I was wrong. If you do not play knowing what HP wash is, you might as well not play at all. This screams bad game design and something I swore would have been fixed by game devs, yet they didn't.

I have even read Kimmy plans keeping HP Washing around, and something about Neo-Tokyo needing it? What hope does a new user like me has. This is exactly like Neopets, where new accounts will NEVER be able to do anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    At least you're observant. A lot of people have gone pretty far and then learned. Like me! Lol
    I've done my best to stay out of the HP washing conversations here, but the MapleTips are just straight up denial of the issue, and that's very wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    2:02 PM
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    Good thing that you like monster cards, because you can get a ring that gives all stats (+1 per tier) and plenty of HP/MP for completing sets of your monster book. This ring was intended to help people like you who really don't want to wash. With a highly upgraded ring, and with HB in your party, you can participate just fine at HT as a marksman pretty early, so you really should not be worrying that much. Neo Tokyo might change that, but the staff will address that when that comes (likely). Also, the people who told you that advice on discord/game wherever are usually not even at HT bossing levels and are uninformed, repeating over-hyped and exaggerated numbers without they themselves doing the research on it.

Edit: I'm going to start asking the IGNs of people who spread this harmful misinformation that is pushing new players away. It's really damaging, and flat out wrong.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

10:02 PM
    SeemsGood

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    OH! I must note btw, Marksmen just got a bit of a skill boost :> So that's good

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    Let's suppose I collect every card and get a high monster card level. Will I, at that point, need HP washing or not? I'm level 36 or so. Should I add some HP/INT atm?
    Should I nuke my character and restart? (Collecting King Slime and Stumpy will be annoying, to say the least. Also I have done over 200 quests)

11. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    No, the HP from the higher-tiered rings is enough to survive HT with HB in your party even at early levels. The ridiculous hype and fearmongering that is spread around from new player to new player comes from us higher leveled older players who go out of their way to wash to insane HP levels just because we can because vote NX is free. But this is interpreted to new players as a requirement which is simply wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:02 PM
    Moderator Post
    Nothing misleading about the Mapletips, since washing isn't mandatory, especially now with the MB rings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    HP washing is not mandatory, no. It is, however, a good idea in the long run, with high-HP bosses being released, and suggesting otherwise is absolutely misleading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman

You can get free NX by voting, sure you can, but it's only 5K per day, and you will need well over a year to get enough for HP washing properly.
    Not only that, but I want my cute cosmetics. I enjoy having a character look like I do IRL, and getting a loot pet with the free cash is also ideal.

Some others say it is tho. Who do I believe at this point.
    I do not want to play if I need to do something so arbitrary to get my character to an enjoyable level. I despise every class in MapleStory besides Wild Hunter (and just now I learned to love Marksmen too)

I read so much about HP Washing.

So what should I do now, at level 36. Restart and add AP to INT/HP, or just keep on leveling now and add my AP to HP?

15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    After trying two attacking characters and starting over due to not enough HP, my given advice and calculations have led me to level up my Assassin with 200 total int as a long-term player. That' the only honest advise I can give you without gettting flamed

16. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    Wrong. Those NX numbers are way way way too much. By "proper" HP washing, I'm sure you mean to survive HT without HB. That amount of vote NX will only take you a couple of months maximum, and that's before taking the monster book ring into consideration. As for your class choice, WHO was telling you not to pick MM as a first class? That's laughably far from the truth. Marksman's snipe allows it to do very respectable DPM to bosses with pretty much no funding at all.

I will flame you because 200 base INT is more than my NL who is washing to 12k base HP, which is not a reasonable thing to tell people to do AT ALL. That is purely a choice for hardcore dedicated players whom have nothing better to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    I chose marksman because I love crossbows. People just told me to go mage because they are OP. Mobbing, offensively and the like, they rule it all with zero drawbacks besides being a boring class. Also no HP wash needed for mages.

People just now, like Midnight, have said I do need some INT. Maybe i should just remake my character? I don't mind remaking, since I can move all my cute clothes. (If I do not get back the IGN "iara" tho, I will be pretty miffed).

Jeez. This game is rough.

18. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    GL with that X'D Fantasy doesn't burn

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  19. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    11:02 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I started without hp washing knowledge until lvl 80 or so. Then I added some int, but that wasn't enough, so I added some more later. I was able to do horntail (the big bad one) at level 155, which is the earliest you can pretty much do it. So in the end it all worked out. I got somewhat greedy and am still washing now, but that's just comfort instead of necessity.

My advice: add like 50 int to ur base stats and buy some int gear. Your damage won't suffer a lot and you'll be able to add quite some hp.
    Also do the ellin questline (+100 hp ring) and the monsterbook (+1000 hp at tier 10).

People saying MM as a first class is a bad idea are people who thrive for perfection. They want at least 10000 base hp and be able to hit 5k lines ar level 60. That is complete rubbish. Don't get discouraged by hp washing. You know about it now and with the fixes I mentioned earlier it's really not that hard to achieve end game content at early levels.

Also, you can do the end game content without hp washing, you just need to level some more before being able to do so. The nr 1 NL (Babo) did just fine without hp washing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I didn't recommend 200 base int.
    Fantsy flame doesn't burn either.