1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information (Windows 8/10) Turn off compatibility mode

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:24 AM
    Moderator Post
    Hello,

Since the early days we've auto applied Windows 98/me compatibility mode on Windows 8 machines and above when you install our game.

This for long time went pretty fine, which gave the client more success rate to bootup. Eventually we fixed Parameter is Incorrect for good, but the mentioned compatibility mode still fixed from time to time errors such as GR2D errors.

Unfortunately as time went on, Windows 98/me compatibility mode has proven to cause the client to actually lag pretty horribly on some W8/10 system, most noticeable during KerningJQ and general client lag when you scroll the chat.

Last week I've learned that my machine, which is Windows 10 OS with NVIDIA has issues with it as well.

Therefor I've decided to discontinue auto applying the compatibility mode and instead troubleshoot users IF they get errors. Its been much less in general since the Parameter fix long ago, and I prefer overall client stability over boot-up success.

Using Windows 8/10?

You most likely have compatibility mode on right now, and I suggest disabling it.

How?

Right click your MapleLegends client OR MapleLegendsWindowed client and select properties

This should pop up:

[​IMG]

Now go to compatibility:

[​IMG]

And uncheck the box:

[​IMG]

Check if its applied on all users by using this button:

[​IMG]

If so, don't change anything.

Click OK. Do this for both MapleLegends and MapleLegendsWindowed.

Done? Does your client still run? Great, you don't have to do anything. Error out now? Let us know which error you're receiving.

Other issues that 98/me mode caused:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...-switching-from-fullscreen-to-windowed.21064/

• Like Like x 2
  2. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    1:24 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    THANK YOU SO MUCH
    Starting couple of months back, my computer has been stuttering REALLY badly every time I open/close more than 2 clients at once. I got frustrated so much today that I went up to computer store and bought another power supply because I thought my old PSU was failing. And nope! The issue was still there.
    Even just now, I've been monitoring what might be causing the issue and observed that there seemed to be a big spike in gpu usage every time I open/close the client so I thought it was an issue with Nvidia driver or problem with my current hardware.

Then I saw your post and disabled compatibility mode. Poof! Stutterings gone now :p
    Great work!
    and brb returning my new psu

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Client bootup/closing stutters still happen I believe, it does at least for me. Now I don't remember right though :p

4. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    1:24 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    it still does happen to me, but Ive seen much more noticeable difference in terms of length and frequency of stutters.
    Either way, this method certainly helped in my case!

5. maybeandy

maybeandy Stone Golem

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Dream Land
    11:24 PM
    Inexorable
    I/L Arch Mage
    Demure
    had the same issues as shot, and the game remains unplayable for me after 1-2 minutes in fullscreen (running on my NVIDIA graphics). Unfortunately, running my integrated Intel drivers gives this really bad flickering, unless on a wide screen client running Legends+.

Was worth a try though.

6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Never heard of unplayable in 2 minutes, that's a very odd one. Yeah this wont cover the oddball issues unfortunately.

7. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    For me, when I launch the client with compatibility, my PC sutters extremely badly at like not even 1 FPS and even my PC's sound stutters like crazy until the client is completely booted up (feels like this takes forever, though probably takes a minute or two). This has been happening only since the beginning of this year or something (probably some Windows Update). Luckily though, for me it doesn't happen at all anymore when I turn off the compatibility. I do have the issue that sometimes I can have the client boot for hours and it will just remain a white window forever. MapleF4 Keep force closing/crashing it and re-opening it until it works is the only way I've been able to launch the client when that happens. Haven't noticed a difference when I use different compatibilities then.