1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of MapleLegends Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akhenaton, May 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    3:54 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    says game isnt perfect
    says never wants maximum efficiency

???????????

bro its just a game, just play and enjoy

edit: i also consider myself a casual player why do you hate on my playstyle just because its different than yours? lol

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    2:54 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Well you already know this is a reality so wouldnt the rational thing be to adjust your own spending behavior? If the kind of scrolling you're doing is negative EV then why bother?

That said, if you hold the prices for scrolled bows constant and think bow 30s are overpriced, it's clearly a good time to buy clean bows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:54 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I leveled up from level 1-200 without ever having touched leech, bought, sold, made self leech or farmed as a mage lol, modesty aside I built a solid gear just with boss. my best advice is like KarnKarn said, focus on timewise money than self farm things

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    3:54 PM
    The real world has thousands or not millions of economists armed with PhDs but its still a mess.

ML's left-ward shift towards masses/new/casual players is a correct one. It decreases the earning power (per hr) of highly efficient game plays. Subsequently, this also leads to decreased inflation. And also helps to retain new player base (which is good for those players at the top).

A right-ward shift usually comes with some form of increased taxes and circulation of funds/benefits to the lower tiered players, but it is impossible to implement in this game.

Pot increases are just like cost of living increases, which translate to increased earnings (wages, irl), albeit it could be a sticky (leech prices did not go up with the same ratio pot prices increased, players started off with 1:3.5, recently the rates increased to 1:3.1/1:3.0), and increased item value. (mana bull prices increased by 75%, likewise, scrolls also went up by roughly the same percentages).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

What's this left/rightward shift anyway? Give me an example how a policy can have this kind of effect.

Leech prices went up just enough to cover the difference in hourly pot cost, but not more. If EXP is the end product, potions are only one of its components. If leech profits remained the same, wouldn't that mean pot cost increases were fully passed to leech buyers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    Random question:

Should Leechers be entitled to the mesos gained via the Leech seller killing monsters?

The service is for EXP leech, not mesos too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
  8. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    there was a time during the beginning of covid whereby leechers would have to surrender the mesos.
    as time passed, more players were capable of selling leech and could then undercut one another, thru keeping the mesos, as above, or better rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    what LOL at this point do you know what you're talking about? I'm quoting your post again to show the edit relative to last time I quoted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    i wrote left and right wrongly. poor english.

11. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I think it's unbelievably difficult if not impossible to create an 'objectively' perfect game, and I'm not sure if Maplelegends will ever be a 'perfect' game. But I think it can be better and fairer and more welcoming for newer and more casual/less wealthy players, and I think that is something worth striving for, particularly for the long term health of the game. That is mainly my point. Whether someone thinks a game being perfect means it should have a 'maximally efficient' path and that everyone should play that way is a different debate. I personally don't play MapleLegends to be maximally efficient so I think that's where your confusion about my intentions come from. Like Quintus said earlier, some people just want to collect chairs and sit in them looking cute as their end goal. A game being 'perfect' really just depends on what your perception of fun is. And maybe that is the present difficulty in trying to balance the needs and desires of people trying to be 'maximally efficient' and other people who have different goals and ideas of fun but still want to participate in content.
    And I'm not a fan of the 'playstyle' of price gouging and market manipulation because as I said, I think it disrupts the idea of community in the game, and it disproportionately hurts newer and less wealthy players who are a large percentage of the game.
    I have adjusted my spending behaviour and stopped buying bow 30s. I've bought a much less expensive, weaker, completed bow in the meantime than what I will probably have later. But I am a big fan of the gamble of scrolling, and so now I am left waiting for months on end to be able to scroll something at what i think is a reasonable price. And call me crazy, but this makes me want to play the game less if I have to plot in a schedule in real life time of when I might be able to scroll my gear, possibly over a year in advance, simply because the bow 30s market continues to remain artifically inflated from price gouging and hoarding, and I refuse to cave in and buy them at the inflated price. I first had to wait 2 years to wash my ranged attacked to a level where he can realistically/comfortably participate in all of the content in the game (including PB). And now I have to wait even longer to scroll a bow at a reasonable price and it all just seems like more of a gigantic waiting game rather than actually a matter of playing MapleLegends.
    I could've made a warrior or I could've made a shadower and reached bossing capacity much sooner and be less reliant on a mage for leech, but I wanted to make a bowmaster. I could've even made a Marksman, but I started this game knowing nothing about the incredibly significant differences in scroll/weapon prices for BM and MM weapons (most likely because of differences in class popularity created by real forces of demand). And I still can change my class and remake a character, but again I consider myself a casual mapler and I don't really have the time IRL to dedicate to remake my attacker just because gear is less costly on a different but similar class.
    And thank you for your advice about buying clean bows, I probably will start doing that. But I still have to wait for the bow 30s to drop to a level reflective of real supply and demand before I can really do anything with them.

gunatt30 may17-23.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    leftward shift increases aggregate demand (thus inflation) since more share of income is redistributed to poorer players and richer players have a higher savings rate. rightward shift implies a laissez-faire approach, not higher taxes and circulation of benefits.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    12:54 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Just make scrolls stack to only 1 copy and minorly inconvenience everyone into hating their lives to manage such bullshit. In that way you can pass along the jaded resentfulness of early and mid-game players to the hoarders in a game of hot potato.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Negative QoL tweaks are actually quite in line with previous balance changes, I could see this being implemented

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I was considering doing a whole, very lengthy post but honestly the main point is that when you have an illiquid market, a lot of the usual trends that you'd expect start breaking down. Trying to view the economy of MapleLegends like you would view a real-world economy is not going to do you much good, because in real life it isn't plausible for, say, someone to buy up the entire world's supply of oil and sell it at a markup.

It's also worth noting that there are more than plenty real-world examples of supply of particular goods being deliberately constrained in order to determine broader market prices. "Hoard a product and limit sales in order to keep the price high and keep things profitable" is a genuine strategy in several industries. It's just not usually caused by someone buying up the entire market, but rather a consequence of resource scarcity due to goods only produced in limited contexts (diamonds, oil, maple syrup).

Also, if someone is doing this strategy, and since the only thing stopping you from farming any of the things that they're doing this with is how much free time you have, you can take advantage of the artificially inflated market to farm the things yourself. If you're worried about being undercut by the people doing the hoarding, just undercut them back. Repeat this until one of you blinks and buys out the other's supply.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. fandilin

fandilin Blue Snail

Jun 30, 2022
    There is a premium on gambling in this game, especially for items that are popular among wealthy end-game players. I don't believe there is a solution to this phenomenon that doesn't involve changing how items are upgraded, which is pretty fundamental to this game. Without an analysis of real supply, demand, and historical prices, that the current prices are "artificially inflated" is your opinion. I do wish I could play with scroll 30s and even CS/WS like the wealthy, but it is simply unrealistic in this game. There are ways of progress in this game, but none of them involve doom scrolling with meso pennies. I think the only solution to satisfy your gambling/scrolling desire is to create a special Event or mode in which we can scroll any item we want for free as much as we want, with the catch that all items from this Event are unusable in the main game; essentially, it would be a scrolling simulator.

17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    There's always https://scrollsim.netlify.app/ if you just want dopamine

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  18. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    You missed the point, you are trying to have your cake and eat it too in an imperfect 2005 pay2win lifestyle game. ML has evolved way past this and has changed the original v62 for the better.

So what if your friend wants to collect chairs? What if I want to collect scrolls and Prestigious Coins? Again, it's none of your business what the player base does or does not choose to do while logged in. You are not better than anyone else playing this game and we all work hard to get to where we are today.

You can make parallels to the real world all you want but I would love to know what you personally are doing to help the homeless people in your city. Homelessness is a huge issue and I am sure you don't do anything for them, so if you care about new players in ML so also you should be helping those people, they are humans too. They have their own lives but no, you won't help them and your thread here won't do anything to impact ML in any meaningful way. You should have named this thread "Economy bitching thread" (referencing the other DK bitching thread of the past)..

You do not need a +7 perfect weapon to "win", +5 or +6 is more than enough.

The difference between each is a mere 3% in WATK total difference.. Does that really change your life to obtain such a Prestigious weapon? No, it doesn't. I don't even have +7 myself, both my Sky Ski and Bow are +6 with 0 slots and I'm more than happy to use them. Play within your means and know your self worth.

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    did I do the multi quote thing right?? well anyways.

I've already expressed that Owl of Minerva is a broken mechanic and should be removed. It's too powerful and is basically unlimited mesos.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I never said i wanted to 'win' in ML. I probably wont even get to level 200 and i almost certainly wont have a +7 perf bow or even a +6. I am open and fully cognizant of my 'means' in ML.
    I just want to play the game to where I'm not getting intentionally ripped off by other players for trying to participate in content by buying gear. You are free to price gouge things since its not ToS, but that doesnt mean im going to play ball. And if thats what this whole game is, just taking turns artificially inflating prices and pretending this is community, im not sure i DO want to play.

And as for my personal life, THAT is none of your business. I could go into my efforts IRL to help the underprivileged, but for privacy reasons i wont. Dont assume things about people you dont know

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.