1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

FM shop space...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lionheart, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:23 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Because the core gameplay of maplestory revolves around platforming, using your character's skills, killing monsters, picking up loots, not dying. People should be rewarded for diligence in THAT field.

Not so much in boring... scan scan scan... hovering mouse over items, reading numbers, browsing through thousands of items.

2. Colin

Colin Orange Mushroom

Jun 8, 2016
    Male
    1:23 PM
    Trinative
    Dragon Knight
    Basic
    This argument is like someone complaining about there being too much food at a buffet. "Hmm there's way too much stuff to try, so I'm just gonna save myself the trouble and complain to the manager"

• Like Like x 7
  3. ApplePie

ApplePie Stone Golem

Aug 3, 2015
    2:23 PM
    ApplePie / Feel
    Halcyon
    I remember when FM stores only barely occupied 1-6, and I'm actually really happy to see them all used! Like hui, I only check out FM when I need something, so I might not be the best at prices, but I think that's fine. FM hunting is another part of MapleLegends. Think of it like a mini-game, or a large supermarket where you can look at each and every item and imagine the dishes you could cook with it - or maybe that's just me.

Sometimes it can be a community thing, I know when I'm looking for something and my friends are, we browse the FM together, tackling different rooms to get our needs sorted in half the time.

Those spammers hah, they're the guys who are desperate for mesos, and that's when the bargain game comes into play. Sorry to the scammed, but that's part of the game as well.

Seeing MapleLegends have 400+ players and a full FM was something we only dreamed of back in the day, and it's finally here!

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    No, that makes no freaking sense at all.

And I'm not saying it's bad we have lots of people buying and selling stuff, but what I am saying is we need a way to search through everything faster and more economically than wasting all your daily nx on owls.

5. Tarte

Tarte Chronos

Oct 19, 2015
    Female
    Lullabies
    Bishop
    Demure
    Ask DulceDulce for tips ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. lforlalaland

lforlalaland Brown Teddy

Mar 24, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    2:23 AM
    KopiUncle/Duel
    Paladin
    Aincrad
    Well, yes I do agree that for some of you might feel that you would rather be doing something else than take the effort to walk through FM just to find something you need to buy. However, do know that merching is a huge part of the game which made MS originally that successful, heck every MMO in fact. While Diablo/WoW kind of interface might simplify things for an auction i believe that would take the experience away. From the perspective of a merch, I don't think squinting and scrolling through a list for good deals is better per se compared to making rounds in the FM. Then again, this is just my 2 cents so... my point is there are always people who prefer one system to another, and at times, there are simply no way to satisfy both side of the spectrum.

7. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Just an update:

FM01: 100%
    FM02: 100%
    FM03: 100%
    FM04: 100%
    FM05: 100%
    FM06: 100%
    FM07: 100%
    FM08: 100%
    FM09: 92%
    FM10: 100%
    FM11: 100%
    FM12: 100%
    FM13: 100%
    FM14: 88%
    FM15: 100%
    FM16: 100%
    FM17: 100%
    FM18: 100%
    FM19: 100%
    FM20: 95%
    FM21: 100%
    FM22: 90%

So I think it's a safe assumption that the entire free market in channel 1 is occupied, give or take a few blank spots that recently opened up and have yet to be filled.

Now, in channel 2:

FM1: 100%
    FM2: 40%

Other misc rooms: 3 shops

8. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    People are just going to do what they did with the non-NPC shops; they'd set a ETC drop at 1b so their shop wouldn't be closed/they wouldn't lose their spot, so I don't think it would help. :p

I couldn't find a single FM spot in Ch1 sunday night. I think that's a good thing; just means the playerbase/economy is boomin'. I do enjoy surfing the whole FM every few days, see if I can find deals or interesting stuff, as well as to see the price fluctuation in the market. If it feels too tedious to browse the FM for a specific item, use your vote NX for Owls! At worst, I could see the price on Owls being slightly reduced, but I really don't think the FM needs to be changed overall.

9. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    You see booming, I just see excess scrolls with no buyers.
    Sales are still relatively slow, (much faster than the 60 base I was used to) but still fairly slow compared to the numbers this server has.

It's cause people with money -> Don't buy as much, players like Celo before would buy scrolls for whatever the price, while players now with money wait for the ultimate low.
    Money isn't flowing as fast, and with the prices will drop lower and lower.

It's hitting the plateau where high level players dont need any scrolls except 10% and whites.
    People rarely scroll for fun, and it'll continue to drop, since the majority of the server are generally "lower level players" = more gach
    Without people readily buying them, and using these scrolls up quantity>demand.

10. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Owls, Scroll Price Guide, Forum FM section.
    "Problem" solved!

11. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:23 PM
    Moderator Post
    Seeing many came from MapleRoyals can anyone tell how it went with shops there? I assume it just continued to CH2+ like what happens now in Legends?

12. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    Royals was much much worse. CH1 all FM's full, CH2 all the way up to 13-18 and FM1-6 all the way up to sometimes CH 12 in the servers prime. People coming from Royals to Legends don't complain.

I see no reason to complain either. This is how Maple WAS. Remember when Perion was full on gms beta, we had no FM? Everyone spamming with @@@ Yeah, that's a reason to complain. Legends is as close to Vanilla as any pserver will ever be, that's why we stay here.. I don't have an issue with it, it just makes me happy to see that things are progressing, in any way possible :)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    4:23 AM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    My reaction every time I read one of Lionheart's posts

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 13
  14. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I wouldn't say the economy is booming, it's just there's more players. About 1.5 years ago, the entirety of the FM was about half full. When legends was nearly dead hovering around only 50 online, we couldn't even fill up FM 1-6. And now with all these new players coming, everything is overflowing to other channels now.

So proportionally, I'd say with more players we have more for sale. And we have more buyers too. But the problem is to search through the FM it takes longer and longer. Imagine if it were a computer algorithm, where we have N players and each player has a shop, so as we get more players, N players looking through N shops, that is N^2, a very inefficient algorithm. As we get more and more players, it becomes a quadratically-increasing waste of time.

Well it's hard to judge the motives of people with money. It depends on a lot of things like what level they are, what gear they already have, the skills they have unlocked, whether they are a gambler... Of course, people with lots of money have it because they have saved it, but the point of saving is to spend it eventually anyway.

And obviously everyone will want to buy for the lowest price. But eventually, either you find the item for the price you will pay, someone else beats you to it, or it just sits there.. eventually to be undercut by someone else.

But you are right that money isn't flowing as fast. We have more players; more items, more demand, more mesos, but more to look through. So it takes longer for a sale to happen.

That may be true. If not 10%s and whites, they're still forced to either 30% a ton or just save and buy a godly item for ridiculous amounts. But some people do still scroll for fun.

What you seem to be forgetting is that new/low-level players are also the biggest consumers for 60% and 70% scrolls. They may be producing through gachapon, but they are also still consuming. It's just that it's becoming harder and harder to buy and sell things.

The owls cost too much precious NX, the price guide can't always be trusted and doesn't even cover everything, and the forum section is a jumbled mess.

Do I need to bring up again how you couldn't walk ten feet in maple without running into some kind of hacker, botter, or other foul-mouthed immature kid? Or how about the moneygrubbing pay2win model Neckson used with 2x cards?

This isn't a strawman. You want to say that's how maple WAS? Well, that's how it WAS. Maple was a lot of things back in the day, and it's up to us to choose what was good from that and what is bad.

And I'm telling you, trying to buy and sell stuff from the FM is only going to become more and more a pain in the ass.

Yeah, that seems about right.

---

Consider how a certain group of players are overly protective of their FM1 spots. Those first few FM rooms are important because most people do tend to start from there if they are searching for a specific item or just browsing. This gives those players with shops there a huge advantage because many other players are impatient and don't want to waste time searching for the absolutely cheapest price. 1) because it's boring, 2) because time is money, 3) because if you do find a price to your liking and continue spending another hour looking through all the shops, someone else might just buy it by time you come back.

So there's actually several problems with how this economy is working:

Positioning of the shops is key, giving massive advantage to the guys who hog the first FM rooms and penalizing others out in the boonies.

Price fluctuation is more rampant and it's hard to pin a price on something, since in the first FM rooms an overpriced item might get sold, but an underpriced item might not.

It takes longer to buy something at a low price, longer to sell something at all. To quickly buy a scroll at the lowest price, you'd have to use an owl. To buy some scrolled gear... that makes even owls obnoxious to use in many cases.

Finally, I'll reiterate again that I just think all this FM shopping is a boring time waste. The core gameplay of maplestory is killing monsters, looting their items, and platforming. Searching through a monotonous mountain of stuff, the majority you probably aren't even interested in, isn't.

15. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    If I may ask, what do you spend your NX on?

16. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Can you buy owls for IRL money on this server? If not, you are all completely wrong in your assumption that you can compare this servers FM to gms's fm.

17. Sloth

Sloth Master Chronos

Mar 5, 2017
    Male
    Raphiel, Trivia
    Bishop
    Home
    LFMAO. owl only cost 700 and you can get them in bundles for 3k (6 owls). What are you trying to buy that 6 owls are not enough for you? If you want to merch, then dont complain. Your own decision to merch.
    There is even a way to use owl more efficiently.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Just checked the doner store, you can't even buy owls for donor points.
    I'd say this this is a pretty big screwover of the merchers on this server. They can't even pay their way to owls like they could on GMS, not a very nostalgic experience.

19. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    Demure
    OnionRay
    Complainheart

• Like Like x 2
  20. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015