1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gachapon Changes

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Kimmy, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    11:28 PM
    Has this actually been checked to decide the new rates? Have you compared the rate of gachapon to server growth? More players, bigger market. Considering the entire system is based on percentages, more unique players shouldn't matter that much.

Either come out with numbers (edit, about gachapon), or get called out for bullshit by the players.

Has there been any actual maths involved, a discussion? Or was this just one person throwing in a digit and going with that? I honestly feel like the original rates were pretty solid. Perhaps it has something to do with illegal funding (e.g. vote abuse) of more accounts now.

PS. I'm talking about unique players. Not multi accounts, multi voters and the like. I don't know where you pull a ~ 4,000 number from. Any criteria for how you came to that too?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    5:28 PM
    Moderator Post
    GiGi 4724 is the number of unique IP addresses active within the past week.

• Great Work x 4
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:28 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The real issue here, I think is... is there really a problem with this price crash?

Think of it like this: we all know that servers like this are prone to inflation. That's why a lot of us fight for things like meso sinks. But we should also know what it's like when a brand new server opens up.

When a server is new and just starting, everyone is in a bind with mesos and scrounging around wherever they can. Initial meso supply is quite low until those players become higher level and can efficiently farm mesos.

With a wave of new players that must have increased the server's population by at least a factor of 10, we are merely experiencing this effect. The prices dropping is only going to be natural because all the new players start with no mesos and cannot generate them very well, if at all.

Therefore, all this worry about the crash is ... well, I find the worry worrisome. I've already explained... the gachapon rng has been the same for months. Why does a large influx of players warrant a change? Let's say 400 players use 8000 gachapon tickets in a month. Then 4000 players use 80000 gachapon tickets a month. There's a hell of a lot more supply, but also a hell of a lot more players.

If you were happy with the rng rates 6 months ago, you should be happy with the rng now regardless of the amount of new players we have, because 10x the production of white scrolls isn't anything special if we have 10x the playerbase.

Like any government entity, you're interfering with the market. You think the prices are going too low. So fuck old players and their mesos, and RIP new players without mesos. Then as our new players stick around and become more powerful, there will be less for them to buy, and they will be producing much more mesos. Then we'll have shortages and big inflation.

Just thought I'd warn you in advance.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. kissMagE

kissMagE Selkie Jr.

May 28, 2017
    Female
    5:28 AM
    JoeL
    Beginner
    It's doesn't matter increase or decrease the rate of white scroll nor chaos scroll , I still couldn't gacha out a ws / chaos scroll :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    Well met. This post is real. Take some notes. Please.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    This. The reason they became so cheap is because none of the new players have mesos. Not to mention a lot of the top players with a lot of mesos quit, got banned, etc. Once more of the new players reach the top, especially with their bishops, they'll start buying these 'rare' items and the price will go up. There's not a lot of mesos in the market right now, which can be seen by the price of ALL items being cheap, not just the 'rare' items.

7. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    12:28 AM
    Kotone, JellyFish, Yesterday, ApplePi
    Beginner, Islander, I/L Wizard, Bandit
    HA! I KNEW THE CHAOS SCROLL PRICE WILL GO BACK UP EVENTUALLY! told you they were worth keeping >:D ElseElse

8. zhaothecows

zhaothecows Slime

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    2:28 PM
    zhaothecow
    Hermit
    Influence
    Yes, there are more players who demand gach items, but the increase of players is almost exclusively in the lower levels due to summer vacation and whatnot. The population that demands ws and cs and other late game items stays mostly the same, while the supply, as you said, increased tenfold. That's why prices of these items decrease, and that's why late game items are easier to obtain. If the influx of players was steady, then yes, there probably wouldn't be a need to change rates, but the exact stated reason for the changes was that the influx of players was massive in a short amount of time.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:28 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    And what, you think none of those low level players will stick around or reach a high level? The population that demands ws and cs can only grow from this boom.

The supply of ws should have remained steady because then, at least by time our new players reached the point where they would need ws and cs, the old players would have spent their money (likey flowing to these new players), and the new players would actually have a decent chance to buy some themselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Madiba

Madiba Brown Teddy

May 1, 2017
    Male
    7:28 AM
    Madiba
    Assassin
    Beaters
    Just wondering, but have you considered that some people play on not just one IP address? Some people play at school, at work, at a friends house, girlfriend/boyfriends house. I know someone that was playing at the airport.

Don't you think that taking this into account the actual number of unique players may be much lower?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phooey

Phooey Mixed Golem

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Phooey
    Well since this is kinda a gacha topic. I just got this from my 5tix gacha adventure
    Maple0003.jpg

NOT FUNNY ;-;

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    It seems like the staff has not learned anything from the last wave of criticism which was with the sudden AP reset changes in the update notes.

I understand that within the discussion thread there were problems with new players voting on what benefits them while ignoring game balance in the progress, which would be a valid reason to not ask the community about changes like this. However, I do feel like there has to be an opportunity of discussion about changes like this which greatly impact the game.

Please don't keep the discussion within the staff. Maybe there were some really valid points made for this change. I'm honestly interested in all the arguments that were made, and I'm positive that you only do it to improve the game experience in the long run. But right now we're in the dark, and as players who care about the game and spend alot of time playing it, it feels horrible to be left out with changes like this.

(At this point I think there should be a game balance discussion part implemented in the forum, with certain restrictions of being able to post.
    I'm willing to make a suggestion thread about it later if there is interest since it would be going way off topic to post it in this thread.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    The number is just a smokescreen in response to my original message. It answers only the most simple (and non important) question there. Basically drawing attention to that number instead of addressing the other concerns in that post.

Either you check logs, or you consult the people that actually know: the players (see post above by GangGang). Just because it's logged doesn't mean you know anything. You need to 1) actually check them 2) be capable to interpret them and 3) draw logical conlusions seeing the bigger picture (e.g. including market predictions like LionheartLionheart posted here). When neither happens, you'll just end up in an endless cycle of making changes without really knowing what you're doing. In other words: "more changes may be made", "We'll see how it goes".

Overall, I feel like changes to AP resets, gachapon changes, boat rides are just being (miss?) used by a lot of veteran players to signal the drop in quality MapleLegends offers to them. It's only natural newer players see nothing wrong with it per se, cause they have no refference point some of these 2-year-long players have to offer. It's those people that actually see the bigger picture, know where MapleLegends comes from, and have an actual perspective of the game. More than just logs, they know how it feels like to play the game and those opinions should not be silenced or censored. Similar to the execution of the compensation event, it was sloppy. Something that would not have happened in Legends months/years ago. And that's only noticable to veteran players, as they have a reference.

For myself, seeing how I actually put great amounts of effort into testing before rolling out events, making sure events ended and started automatically (so that restarts/maintenances were done hours before(/after) events started(/ended). Seeing the compensation event simply feels bad. As I've posted elsewhere, there were simple ready-to-go solutions available. For me quality is usually about the things you don't see - because it gets taken care for you behind the scenes. Make sure nothing can go wrong by testing things in advance, that way it doesn't even matter if you're working on a 300 or 4,000 big server cause you can guarantee things will run smoothly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    can't hear you over all these players the server is getting TriHard

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Trabin

Trabin Horny Mushroom

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    ShadeImpulse
    Assassin
    I don't speak for the majority of the new players, but being a new player myself, I don't see any reason why a new player should care about White Scrolls or Chaos Scrolls. I might consider them down the road, but when it came to old school GMS, We didn't even have them in V0.35~0.50/0.60 so it didn't matter, and when it came to big bang and onward, it didn't even matter. However, this doesn't even seem to be the biggest issue.

It appears to be a big fluctuation to the Legends economy, and the factor that due to a large influx of users (I being one of them who on a whim decided to jump into a classic server) is also in flux and instead of Adapting to the change, those who are unable to allow change to happen to either increase the server stability and make room for the new influx or are unwilling to adapt to an evolving server.

If everything stays the same completely, how does it grow? How does it change? If it always stays the same, how do you retain old players? How do you entice new players to try something different?

Now, Yes, This is Nostalgia at it's finest, however, this is not GMS, KMS, JMS, CMS, Whatever Neckson MS.

This is Maple Legends, and I joined not to watch people whine about if they're able to Exploit a Random Number Generator but to have fun and enjoy an experience with those who also enjoy the Nostalgia and be a part of something that is designed to evolve.

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  16. Scruffle

Scruffle Snail

Aug 4, 2017
    Male
    Scruffle
    Pirate
    The problem with making a server such as this one evolve is that you'd also slowly make the nostalgia-factor, the thing that probably attracts most players to this server more and more unrecognizable. Sure you can add new content, but the trick is making new content that is worth exploring while NOT introducing power-creep in the process, or else you're just going down the path that real maplestory went.

17. Trabin

Trabin Horny Mushroom

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    ShadeImpulse
    Assassin
    That's one of the things that I'm seeing as an issue here already. The fact is that there wasn't enough balance that was attempted to be rectified and now there is what appears to be some push back about.

Quite frankly, "power" was threatened via a change to a server wide economy.

18. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    I'm sorry but. I have to disagree with you the entire way. You start your post by saying you don't actually care about White Scrolls and Chaos Scrolls? Or maybe not yet, we'll just worry about it in a few months when you do need it?

I feel like you miss the entire reason why threads like this get so much attention. It's not even whether or not people want change. It's about how this change is presented and how that shows progress towards the server as a whole. In fact, people want change and have been asking for that. There's a thirst for new end-game content for as long as I can remember it. But what I see is
    • Efforts towards some level 45'ish area, in a thread designated for end-game content??
    • No progress on the AP reset changes
    • Months of 15% bonus exp, compensation events bringing the server to 3x EXP (I see this is a mid-game advantage more than end-game)
    • Nerfs, then buffs, to the only way of end-game items (gachapon), so much uncertainty
    I personally (and I don't think I'm alone in this) feel that the quality is dropping. Especially in terms of player support, but also in-game wise. And that's especially the case in the higher level regions of the game. Even the feel of this game has changed, it became a lot easier (exp bonusses on top).

I'll put it bluntly cause writing too much will just make people quit reading. But basically this entire server growth is built upon facebook advertisement (cheap money), a decently coded server, and recycling old events and quests. Heck, even adding new areas into files is pretty easy (the most tedious part being drops).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trabin

Trabin Horny Mushroom

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    ShadeImpulse
    Assassin
    Let me put this to rest: When playing Old School Maple Story, we did so without relying on Gachapon. We did so on Luck and Skill, not to mention the fact that at the time, tickets were translated to actual dollars spent. You want True Nostalgia? Make Gachapon Strictly Donator only. Whole new problem Begins there. Instead, we wait until level 45 saving up Vote Cash to spend on tickets to give Level 45 players End Game Equipment. Already, that's breaking the game. Already, that's exploitation through the use of a Random Number Generator on a select list of items. This also, you're gonna love this, BREAKS EVERY FORM OF THE ECONOMY.

Now AP Resets: Exploitation in the form of Stat/HP/MP Washing, which is the reason why most bosses gained an increase not only in level but also in HP themselves and stat boosts, which WASN'T present in earlier versions of Maple Story. The original concept of the use of an AP reset was if someone messed up on a character and needed to change things up to repair their character instead of deleting it and starting over. Quite frankly, I personally think AP Resets should be ungodly expensive, but Not everyone feels that way. So, I suck that one up and move on.

The Fact is this: If we focus on these simple unnecessary things, we keep those who program the server from actually getting and applying new content for end game. So, Sure, let's keep going back and forth about something we could just adapt to, or we can help them push towards better things.

Maybe try waiting a week or three before throwing a fit about it? Things of worth don't get better instantly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Since you are actually condencing to passive aggresive statements. You're gonna love this reply.

I've actually been main developer for two years here, and I have been waiting for months to see improvements. I loved development, but I quit because of things that happen behind the scenes. Things that Kimberly doesnt want anyone to know. When everyone unanimously comes to the conclusion she isn't fit for admin, and she agrees with that, yet doesn't change anything? How does that make you as a player feel? Or as someone that spends freetime working on this project?

Last summer the server population was around 100~150 (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but basically low). Through hardwork we have brought that to 300~400 early April, with numbers still rising. This growth was in my honest opinion based on bringing in events (the ones you now get presented in a recycled form), minor fixes, quick response to hacks/rollbacks/abuse/etc (no weeks of instability), releases (weddings)... This is how you should build a longlasting server, not on cheap Facebook dollars and on the backs of hardworking staff.

I am glad that you know our history, to make the naive comment to simply wait it out a few weeks. Like I said, nobody of the people that joined recently have any reference. Along with censorship and behind the scenes talk this truth gets taken away from public.

I remember the days where Legends would've been happy with 50 nice people that believed in it's core values. Providing a stable future. That's the legends I joined, worked for and want to see improve.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1