1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Corbin

Corbin Red Snail

Apr 7, 2018
    Male
    5:12 AM
    Slaved
    Priest
    4 is way to little for many reason stated already, and people just refuse to use the other maps around ghost ship which are still good exp

2. Zebezian

Zebezian Master Chronos Retired Staff

Sep 17, 2017
    Male
    Zebezian
    Paladin
    Honor
    Oh, great! Thanks. I've never really had to save a channel recently (Crims are pretty open :p ) so I suppose I didn't notice.

I would personally be against having special dungeon maps added for some of the popular training maps. If we want people to be more social/together and combat the idea that the server is "dead", I think keeping the channel count lower is fine. I've made good friends when asking to party with people who have ownership of a "popular" map. Similarly, I've extended offers to party with those who are cycling through channels if I'm the owner, and it's a lot of fun! Yes, fewer channels means greater tension when trying to secure exp/resources, but I think it's worth the trade-off.

Also, I generally dislike the mentality where a person thinks they NEED to be training at the most efficient spot all the time, so perhaps having fewer channels will combat that.

As a thought: Maybe it would be good to figure out which training spots are considered best, then figure out which training spots are considered "secondary" (like the other GS maps). If the channels get reduced, perhaps as a compromise some of the drop rates / items (but not exp) of those "secondary" map mobs like Mr. Anchor could be buffed slightly to make them more appealing if the major maps are taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:12 AM
    Moderator Post
    Pretty sure the Dungeon spawn in skele was only horrible the first week or two because of GMS-like spawns. It should be same as the normal skelegon now for long time. Will check later.

4. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    It may have been buffed slightly, but it's always been really bad. I got like maybe 20-25m exp/hr killing from the top compared to the usual 40mish per hour in the normal skele map.

5. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    2:12 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    When I first Joined the server, it was 4 channels. I thought that was pretty cool.

As for the area bosses, more channels just means more to kill nonstop. More exp but IMO (for someone who does bigfoots and mushas nonstop) I don't have an issue going back to less channels. I feel like having 72 bigfoots is too much easy exp lol.

Manon timers and less channels ain't an issue. Learn to camp like everyone else did long time ago. Even with 9 channels it's competitive. With less channels, means less HT runs at the same time. Feel like seeing like 3-5 "congrats for killing HT" just means it's become easy to kill now and 1/4 the server can do it. This would lead to hopes of more new content coming out soon ;)

I hope this causes more training/grinding partners for the popular maps.

More packed makes us look like a great community and to.build a greater one.

More GM interactions would be cool as well. More community stuff!

I remember when I joined it was 300max. Felt pretty nice we were all bunched up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    This also causes more people to possibly train together and not buy leech. As finding a map to leech would be hard. I fear this server will/have become a "leech legends"
    And that's pretty meh.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    12:12 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I agree with reducing the amount of channels, as well as giving gs a mini dungeon. As for area bosses, there are plenty of bosses to do and little competition (maybe only anego and manon).

I think having 5-6 channels for our current player base is totally fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Cristhian

Cristhian Snail

Nov 19, 2017
    Male
    4:12 AM
    I/L Wizard
    Apple
    You could decrease the respawn time of the bosses.

9. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Seems some people are confused about my meaning of GS3 and GS4 being empty, so let me clarify a bit.

What I meant is that Neckson left those maps completely empty with no mobs or anything, basically waste of space. What could example happen is that those 2 maps (GS3 and GS4) become GS2 clones (layout and all), which basically mean still same amount of maps are used, but more 'GS2's are available, so 3 each channel.

I hope its now clear enough. I saw some people mention in-game that the explanation was confusing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Bosses don't need to be farmed. Keep the timers how they are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    I'm all for less channels due to the current occupancies of them being mainly for boss spawns and extra maps. I think a possible solution would be to buff a ton of maps in relation to how many do spawn opposed to the exp that they give. The main reason for popular maps is that there aren't too many options for "good" training spots, usually due to the layout of them from getting out of control. But by increasing spawns on maps that people don't visit across various locations, wouldn't that give more incentives to spread out more? You could always do mini dungeons, but that kinda defeats the purpose of interactionism. For the sake of keeping nostalgia, it's really hard to touch anything without people freaking out. But if your goal is to create an environment that you proposed where people see each other more often, it's important to take into account of efficiency that directly translates your purpose.

12. Corbin

Corbin Red Snail

Apr 7, 2018
    Male
    Slaved
    Priest
    Sadly I think it’s there already

13. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    6:12 AM
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    What if instead of making GS2 clones, you use the same layout but put different mobs there? Just like MP3. Instead of having only Slimy, slap some Selkies and Pac Pinkies in there. This way there are more unique maps.

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Konnui

Konnui Timer

Jun 9, 2017
    Konnui
    Shadower
    Agape
    Not a very big fan of altering the empty maps GS3/4. Having these empty maps with the multiple doors makes ghost ship feel like a maze, with some rooms safe and others not, and making them into gs2 clones would change the authenticity. Newer players using bbb hidden street and poof.ml would be confused with where they're going. Hidden street's information would be incorrect, and since poof.ml's map navigation doesn't specifically point out which portals lead to where. I like ZebezianZebezian 's idea to increase/change drops of secondary training spots. Poof.ml has a better UI for viewing monster drops than Hidden street, so that would help newer players as well.
    As with several other members I would favour a reduction of channels.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    I'll have to disagree when it comes to HT. Even though everyone else camped a long time ago, there was way less people killing HT regularly, so it wasn't a huge problem to have less channels. I think decreasing the amount of channels by basically half IS a good idea for the server health overall, but changes would have to be made when it comes to getting a Manon Cry / HT prequest.

Maybe make it drop more than just one and make it one-of-a-kind. That would motivate cooperation and people wouldn't be able to stack them. Maybe there could be two types of prequest (is this even possible?): in one you would have to get Manon's Cry, in the other one you would need "Griffey's Whatever", so you would have 10 possible bosses to kill, instead of 5 (assuming 5 channels).

16. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Manon cry is a one of a kind.
    You also cannot stack them.

17. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    upload_2018-4-15_15-25-42.png
    You can stack them as long as you kill the Manons before picking one up.

18. Velo

Velo Slime

Apr 5, 2018
    Male
    5:12 PM
    I/L Mage
    The reason for why some maps are always full is due to the exp and spawn ratio of this map. GS2 is one of the notorious map ever since the singapore map was introduce. Prior to GS2 release, it was the classic FOG map.

Actually the main culprit for all those map to be over populated i.e GS2, Hime etc is due to the Cleric/bishop training there. Everyone is creating a HS mule. In short as long the map itself is an Undead monster good exp per health ratio with great spawn rate, it will always be full.

Reducing the number of channel doesn't upset the balance except in the above maps mentioned. Even PQ are hardly filled up.

Actually, there are 20-25% less than the amount of people online that is accounted on the website. The reason is many of players are logging in their mule.

19. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Every server has multiclienting these days, so user count should not really be looked at here. By 1000 online I didn't meant 1000 unique users. And yes, I am aware WHY GS2 is populated... the topic was if there's a solution to it. :3

20. Voldy

Voldy Horny Mushroom

Apr 8, 2018
    Male
    12:12 PM
    Night Lord
    I don't like this idea. people already mentioned the problem with Manon cry, but there is a few more things that bothering me.
    As a quester, for some quests it will be a nightmare to be done with only 4 CH's.
    For example, even with 9 CH's it took me around 3 hours to get Bob the snail's shell.
    Also, area bosses will be harder to find (for quests, drops, chairs), and high levels can take control easely on a weak mini boss map.
    Think about it as well.