1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

New aggro changes affecting archer's puppet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuisJ, Dec 1, 2020.

1. LuisJ

LuisJ King Slime

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    2:51 PM
    LuisJ
    Hero
    Archer's puppet seems to not work anymore on pirate from cwkpq, which is probably caused by the new aggro changes.

Pending to check if it works with other bosses like Pap or BF.

is this intended?

2. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    1:36 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    :eek::eek::eek:

3. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    12:51 PM
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    Elder wraiths de aggro without someone entering the map. Comes back eventually though.

4. Ben Ten

Ben Ten Slime

Jun 18, 2017
    Male
    Marksman
    I've been told it also has to do with the distance between you and Nagrom (the pirate boss). Puppet will distract Nagrom as long as you are within an appropriate distance. If your archer were to walk away, say to buff, then the puppet loses its effect.

Edit: Nevermind, pirate has to be facing the direction of the puppet as well as the archer being within a certain distance.

5. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    4:51 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    So first off, we need to distinguish the two types of bosses. Ones with auto-aggro and ones without.
    1. CWK Pirate boss and Papulatus are auto-aggro, which will target the closest target
    2. Bigfoot is NOT auto-aggro and works differently (has to do with inflicting damage to it)
    With regards to auto-aggro, it'll switch to the PLAYER that is closest to it (this is 100% confirmed). Based on our current understanding of how puppet seems to interact (based on reports + observations), this is what we think is happening:

(Everything from here onwards still needs to be 100% confirmed, but it seems to be the most likely explanation)

Puppet redirects the aggro SO LONG AS the player casting puppet is within the aggro range. So if you were to have Player A, Player A's puppet, and Player B at CWK.

(Eg 1) Player A's puppet is closest to the CWK Pirate boss. Player B is second closest. Player A is third closest.
    • Puppet isn't a player, so Player B will be targeted (has aggro)
    (Eg 2) Player A's puppet is closest to the CWK Pirate boss. Player A is the second closest. Player B is third closest.
    • Player A is the closest player
    • BUT because he has a puppet, the Pirate boss will try to attack the puppet
    (Eg 3) Player A is the closest to the CWK Pirate boss. Player B is second closest. Player A's puppet is third closest. (not sure how this will happen, but let's say it does)
    • Player A is the closest player
    • Even though Player B is closer than Player A's puppet, since aggro is on Player A it will redirect to his puppet
    (Eg 4) Player A's puppet is closest to the CWK Pirate boss. Player A is the second closest. Player B is third closest. Then, Player A walks further away from the boss.
    • Initially, Player A is the closest player AND has puppet so, so the Pirate boss will try to attack the Player A's puppet
    • When Player A walks away he is NO LONGER the closest player, and the Pirate boss will target Player B instead
    We'd appreciate if players can continue to share their experiences, since it'll be helpful for us to understand how the changes affect the grand scheme of things. Even more helpful is sending us video recordings of the experiences :)

• Informative Informative x 5
  6. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    IDK IF THESE VIDEOS APPLY TO THE SITUATIONS YOU DESCRIBED (i think they do, but maybe they'll help)

they're from cwkpq today. the puppet worked fine for a while (first half of first run) then completely borked partway through.

here's a video of it working like it did pre-aggro changes and how i think it should work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I thinkkkk you liked the same video twice by accident :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    oops, fixed!

9. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Okay so after some more feedback from various people and also some extensive testing, this is how we believe auto-aggro/puppet seem to be interacting:
    • General Auto-Aggro Principles = targets the closest person IT SEES (this is contrary to what we said before)
      • It's important to be within the "aggro range" AND be seen by the boss
        • Stationary bosses (with no clear direction) seem to be able to "see" everything within the aggro range (eg. HT arm is a good example of this, as well as the statues at Pink Bean)
          • Exception is probably Nibergen which is definitely facing left
        • Mobile bosses (ones that can move) seem to be able to "see" everything it faces (eg. CWK Pirate Boss)
      • This would explain why just going far away sometimes DOES NOT change aggro
    • Auto-Aggro & Puppet:
      • If the boss is looking away from the direction of the puppet (when you put it down), it doesn't seem to care about it
        • Exception: bosses do flip around once in a while, so the moment you put down puppet, it could turn around at the perfect time to draw the boss' attention
      • If the boss is looking towards the direction of the puppet AND there is no OTHER player in its aggro range + field of view, the aggro should go to puppet
    Referring to postcardpostcard 's video of aggro working as intended we see:
    [​IMG]
    • Pirate boss is facing the direction of the puppet and it is able to keep the aggro
    From her video of aggro NOT working as intended we see:
    [​IMG]
    • Pirate boss is facing left the moment puppet is placed down
    • It starts walking left because it either honed in on Postcard and wants to get closer to her OR sees SamLo and walks towards him
    • Puppet is out of Pirate boss' field of vision, so he doesn't care about it at all
    Here's a very badly made video of me trying to explain how this works too.

Let us know if this way of using puppet works for you or not~ And as always video proof is very appreciated ^^

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  10. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Assuming the aggro in this video still holds true, archers who are able to knock back the pirate boss can still puppet AND pin on the right side. Similar to what Postcard is doing with very minor adjustments.

When puppet runs out AND pirate boss is pinned to the very edge of the platform, archers should continue to use the portal to teleport down. However, instead of walking rightwards before puppeting, archers should puppet immediately. This should place the puppet in front of the pirate boss. By doing so the puppet should be in front of the pirate boss, thus resulting in puppet working.

I haven't done any CWKPQs since the maintenance, but i'll test it out later this week. If the puppet's casting range causes it to be placed beyond the pirate boss, archers may have to move leftwards first before casting.

11. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    8:51 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    I just did a CWKPQ run and had a hard time getting Pirate to aggro on puppet. Sometimes it took 4-5 tries till it finally worked. Regardless of facing/positioning explained by Nise this doesn't seem very reliable.

It gives the impression that auto aggro is prioritizing on any player the Pirate sees (not just the closest one) instead of who's dealing the damage. Or is this now intended?

12. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    3:51 AM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Hi Arthur, after the discussion about Pink Bean aggro yesterday, I noticed that one key factor in resetting aggro upon boss 'turning directions' is knockback/flinching the boss - ie. using barrage/snatch to pull back pinkbean to turn right and reset aggro when pinkbean faces left

The difference between your video and Postcard's is the important fact that your damage does not flinch the pirate boss and hers do.

If flinching the boss resets aggro, can you explain why in her video with the puppet working, upon knockbacking boss, why does the pirate boss not change aggro from the puppet to her, when Postcard is clearly the first encounter in vision after flinching?
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 11.37.41 AM.png

Attached Files:

13. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    One more thing, if knockback does flinch the boss, and aggro is set onto the first encounter in line of sight, shouldn't puppetting in between the pirate boss and the archer while keeping him pinned right (so he doesn't come in between puppet and archer and have archer become first in line of sight) maintain aggro onto puppet?
    - ease of re-puppeting as well

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 11.31.00 AM.png
    Eg. if yellow star was puppet

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    3:51 PM
    DMsRebirth
    Nise I don't think you fully understand how puppet works.

How puppet works is that whenever you cast a puppet, any monster that is currently aggro'd at you will become aggro'd to the puppet. When the puppet then disappears for any reason (time out, too much damage, you cast another puppet), any monster who is currently aggro'd at the puppet will turn neutral, possibly then picking a new aggro target if they're auto aggro.

In your video, the pirate boss did not aggro to the puppet on 0:02 because you never got his aggro to begin with, hence the puppet did nothing since there was no aggro to transfer to. At 0:24 the puppet worked because you had the boss's aggro, meaning that it got transferred to the puppet. At 0:29 when you cast a new puppet, because the boss's aggro target was the old puppet, it turned neutral when you cast the new one, meaning that it become aggro'd at you again when you went back up. Then at 1:00 his aggro transferred to the 4th puppet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Wait I think maybe I did a bad job of explaining things the other day.
    • Aggro goes to whoever is closest + in line of sight
    • Knocking back (by doing damage over the KB value), causes the boss to do the flinch animation SOMETIMES (I tested this out the other day, and even if you hit the KB value, sometimes the flinch animation doesn't happen)
      • Flinching by itself doesn't change the aggro
      • It MIGHT switch the direction of the boss for a short while for the flinch animation (if it happens), but the aggro target didn't seem to change to the person that flinched it
    • Certain skills can push/pull bosses (eg. rush, snatch)
      • After testing this out with my Pally + verified by some other peeps in nameless, rushing a boss doesn't make it change directions
      • (boss facing <<<<) (warrior rushing <<<)
        • Since the warrior rushed from the right side, the boss SHOULD face right, if the theory is correct, but it stays facing left side
      • Snatch I'm not 100% sure about, but from people using it in PB, it does seem to actually snatch the boss' direction too (but not sure if this is 100%)
    During the entirety of my tests, I was checking who the aggro was targeted at (I mean command wise, so I knew for a fact who it was targeted to, and not just guessing). The whole time it never turns "neutral". It always locks on my character, until something/someone else interferes with the aggro. I had some other clips of another character taking aggro, but once aggroed it doesn't seem to really turn "neutral" even if puppet expires.

So with that extra information, if we think about when you go down to recast puppet (if we look back at postcard's video), the aggro has a chance to change to whoever is on the far left. In the other footage, the other character was on the same platform, but on the far left, and when I went down the aggro would go to the character on the platform at times. That's why the "correct" way was to go to the right, and place down puppet to hold its gaze after being on the right side, and go back to the platform via teleporter.

I did really want to show the other footage, but it couldn't really be properly cut up to showcase what was happening, cus it was mostly me trying to reposition on the other character to make my point and it just became too hectic xD

16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Snatch has always seemed more reliable at getting things to turn around, even before the changes. That said, it seems like it still takes a few tries to get it to do the kb-effect, after which it *probably* changes direction. Once they get passed what I term "boss stance", bosses tend to cooperate for a little while.

Also, why do we keep using nameless as a test boss? It's not auto-aggro (at least not listed as such), so that introduces another variable while discussing aggro mechanics. I mean, it might be similar, but it doesnt seem helpful atm.

17. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    You know thats a great question xD I really don't know why they do that. I used Pink Bean to test my knockback & aggro effects, which is definitely auto aggro.

Hmm when you say "boss stance" do you mean like while its about to finish (or about to start) an animation?

18. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Its usually been tied to animations, but not always. Sometimes it will stay locked for a considerable period of time, even after it has finished an animation. Other times still, the boss will be in an animation and a barrage or snatch or other rush effect will still move it, while it is doing an attack. In this case, it simply pushes but does not put the boss into hitstun. It doesnt do this all the time, however, and it seems the best way to move it when it does dig its heels in is to just keep trying, sometimes taking upwards of 5-7 seconds (potentially deadly when the team has to deal with seds during this time). Snatch is fast, spammable from the right side without requiring player repositioning, and well-controlled with respect to pull distance, making it a premier tech option for bean movement. When it does pull, it typically tends to redraw aggro with it (or at least Line of Sight), its just a matter of getting it *to* move.

19. Cheol

Cheol Mano

Dec 3, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Cheol
    I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster
    Pawcifists
    I ran cwk a day before yesterday. All i can say is the thing that screws everything over is the “facing towards” aggro. I have tried multiple times to puppet the pirate, and timing so that it would be facing the puppet direction, but i only succeeded in like 1 out of 20 times?

I personally cant knockback the pirate boss. I realise that trying to puppet when the boss is facing a certain direction is really unreliable. I understand the part where the player aggroed will be in the sight of the boss, but trying to puppet when the boss is facing in the targeted direction has such a small window that it becomes a luck thing.

Also a question, from reading, lets say if i managed to puppet the pirate boss, i cant walk over to SE cleave, right?

I havent tried walking to the right of the platform before dropping down, or even puppeting on the platform on the other side of the pirate boss. Might try when i have time.

20. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    8:51 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    Currently, if Pirate's aggro is on your puppet and you walk away to SE cleave Pirate will switch aggro to another nearby player, even though the puppet is staying in the same place.

It seems that after these changes the puppet aggro isn't acting as it's own but as an extension of the archer. This renders Puppet as a much weaker skill now.