1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing the Maple TV

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by thetavi, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    9:44 PM
    Is it possible to remove the Maple TV from towns and free market? They're honestly just really annoying and obnoxious. I don't think keeping it around is really a positive element of anyone's nostalgia. Plus, unless there is a working CS item that uses it, it is literally pointless.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:44 AM
    Moderator Post
    The Cash Shop item for them are fully functional, just want to get that out of the way.

3. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    12:44 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    We're going for GMS-like.

4. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    you can just WZ edit to get rid of it. I think it's in map.wz.

5. David

David Pink Teddy

Apr 2, 2015
    Male
    11:44 PM
    I like them.

Perhaps reduce the price of the Maple TV Messengers to encourage people to buy them?

6. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    7:44 AM
    Personal WZ edit is not allowed by server ToS it can only be done if staff will decide to change it for all

7. Pills

Pills Master Chronos

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    South Korea
    5:44 AM
    Pills
    Wait Wait Wait, Maple TVs have functions???

8. Abamita

Abamita Mushmom

Mar 30, 2015
    1:44 AM
    Abamita
    Chief Bandit
    What do people think of giving them a black background when they aren't displaying a user's message? The pointless graphics are most of the annoyance. We are trying to emulate GMS, but these TVs were not always there, so this might be a working compromise.

9. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    12:44 PM
    I think it adds some life to an FM that might be sometimes dead when everyone is AFK-ing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    I'm okay with compromise. How about just keeping the FM one? (it's the only one people are going to regularly have on their screen, let's be honest). I also like Abamita's suggestion of just making it a black box with no animation when not being used by the CS item.

I hate seeing this all the time, by the way. If we just said "We're going for GMS-like" we would be all 1x, no bonus quest EXP, all NX would be donor only with $1 = 1k NX, the GMs would never be around, hackers would be everywhere, and so on. There is obviously some room to move away from GMS, hence GMS-like. This is why I say "I don't believe this is a positive element of anyone's nostalgia" - which I think is more accurate to what we're going for. If you want to say "I think this is a good/important part of the feel of GMS" that is fine, but "We're GMS-like" is already established and agreed upon.

• Like Like x 2
  11. House M.D.

House M.D. Horny Mushroom

Apr 1, 2015
    I like Maple TV.

Generally people who have really old crappy computers hate it, because it makes them lag. My computer is pro though.

For me there's a nostalgia. I used to have a DK, and somestimes I would dress up just like the guy in Maple TV who's running from the Iron Pig. (I even had the same default face as him) Then I would run around making that F5 face. People would say "Hey I saw you on Maple TV". This was like in the year 2007.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Symphony

Symphony Horny Mushroom

Feb 18, 2015
    Female
    New England
    Marzipan
    F/P Wizard
    Then don't be an FM Ho and the TV won't bother you.. :3

• Like Like x 1
  13. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I say it all the time because "GMS-like" is the goal of this server, as stated by the staff many times. I say it when requests are made to pull away from that. I don't care what you hate.
    Never said we were going for GMS. I don't want 1x, I think the bonus quest EXP is a great idea, and so on. Don't put words in my moth.
    I guess if you want a more defined opposition, then here:
    In this case, I said what you apparently hate... because I am against yanking out features that have no affect on anyone. At all.
    This is like suggesting the removal of street lights. "Because they're annoying".

Get out oft the FM and get some work done, and the TV won't bother you. I have a schizophrenic uncle. He's got a problem with TV's too. Helps when he goes for a walk.
    This is why I ususally keep it down to "I thought we were gooing for GMS-like"...

14. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    So don't tell people you're doing it. There is literally no way to get caught with graphical wz edits.

15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Wait, are UI mods not allowed?

16. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:44 AM
    Moderator Post
    Graphical edits that do not change your performance server sided (this includes removing the MapleTV) is allowed.

As of making the MapleTV blackscreened until something happens: this is not possible. The center screen has no server-sided interaction, only the top screen does.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    To clarify, yes I do prefer the more defined opposition lol, because it makes more sense and clarifies that you read the thread more than just the title. Otherwise it looks like "he's suggesting a change from GMS, okay auto-reply" which is a pointless post. I have nothing personal against you, you aren't the only one I've seen say these things. But I think it's a lazy argument and one I am trying to get people to stop using. I wouldn't have to "put words in your mouth" if you were specific about what you meant when saying "that's not GMS-like". Other things deviate from GMS, hence saying "this isn't like GMS" does not work as an argument. It just shuts down opposition without discussion. That is what I am trying to emphasize. I do not intend to call you out specifically, I have nothing against you.

I don't know what street lights are in the context of MapleStory? But yes, my reason IS "because they're annoying" and my perception from previously playing is that most other people also find them annoying. I guess they're like streetlights because they are always there? And yeah, that is why it's annoying. It's not just a special message that appears only when someone buys the NX, it's an obnoxious thing that got added at some point and blocks up the screen. My suggestion is a minor quality of life fix. However, apparently the CS item for it actually works so it does in fact serve some purpose.

I also seem to be in the minority, multiple people are posting here that they like it. So, okay. That is more what I am interested to hear from a server change perspective. Carry on then.

Thanks for clarifying the rule on wz editing too, Kimberly. My annoyance can be addressed without any changes then.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  18. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    i still haven't done my naked edit. :(
    oh also, this is off-topic, but it would be cool to have a maplelegends updater for when new wz updates come out. it would make events easier too. should i make a new thread for this?

19. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Touche.
    There is never a legit reason to put any words in anyone's mouth.
    They are like streetlights because there is no reason to remove them.

20. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.