1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief [Night Lord] What Claw should I use? (i.e. Why you should always be DEXless)

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by thetavi, May 17, 2015.

1. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    8:30 PM
    As with my Dark Knight's What Spear should I use? thread, I'm not fully justifying my math here because it takes longer to explain that way. But you should come to the same conclusion if you want to go ahead and try it yourself. :)

Well, using some simple math I found for the Lucky 7 damage formula (yes, as far as I know it's the same for Triple Throw):
    MAX = (LUK * 5.0) * Weapon Attack / 100
    MIN = (LUK * 2.5) * Weapon Attack / 100
    (L>confirmation from anyone that this formula is correct, as this entire thread depends on it.)

Now, before I go deeper into the math, I am going to state upfront that I will be intentionally overlooking some aspects. First, I will be overlooking weapon speed for the sake of simplicity (however, I will gladly later do the math to incorporate it). Secondly, I am going to ignore the fact that you can gain LUK from equipment as well as DEX; ergo, I am ignoring a potential trade of LUK gears which boosted your damage more for DEX gears to wear the higher level claws. Futhermore, I am overlooking the added complexity of skills such as Maple Warrior and Echo of a Hero.

So let's look at the formula. It appears there are two variables, LUK and Weapon Attack. However, there is actually only one variable: LUK. The reason is we can essentially remove the variable Weapon Attack factor based on the fact that the Weapon Attack difference between your respective DEXless and DEX requiring claws will be static. Your LUK, however, can change rapidly with each level.

Without going into too much detail on the mathematics/reasoning, comparing two claws will effectively come down to 2 things:
    1) The effective "LUK loss" going from Claw A to Claw B.
    2) The effective weapon attack gain going from Claw A to Claw B.

Here's the relevant formulas:
    LUK loss = [Additional DEX required to equip Claw B] - (LUK on Claw B - LUK on Claw A).
    AP required = LUK loss + (LUK loss) / ( [ATK on Claw B + Other Weapon Attack] / [ATK on Claw A + Other Weapon Attack] - 1 )

Calculating for AP required will give you the number which is the total usable AP you'll have to accumulate in order for it to become worth it to make the switch from Claw A to Claw B. By the way, this has nothing to do with DEXless or not, you can use this between any two claws!

To demystify this a bit, let's gather some claw data to use.

[​IMG] Night Raven's Claw, 40 weapon attack, +2 LUK.

[​IMG] Average Red Craven, 46 weapon attack, +6 LUK, requires 140 DEX.

[​IMG] Average Dragon Green Sleve, 50 weapon attack, requires 150 DEX.

[​IMG] Perfect Dragon Purple Sleve, 55 weapon attack, +9 LUK, requires 150 DEX.

We must also take into account that we gain weapon attack from other sources. Here are some common ones.
    [​IMG] Ilbi Throwing Stars, 27 weapon attack.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Work Gloves, which can be scrolled for a varying amount of weapon attack.
    [​IMG] Pink Adventurer Cape, 2 weapon attack.
    [​IMG] Warrior Elixirs, +12 weapon attack.
    [​IMG] Ciders, +20 weapon attack.
    [​IMG] Onyx Apples, +100 weapon attack.

Let's create a few hypothetical scenarios.

Scenario 1: Noobie.
    As a noobie, we'll still assume you have managed to get your hands on Ilbis, an Average Red Craven or Night Raven's Claw clean, and 8 attack Work Gloves. You use Warrior Elixirs. This gives you a static weapon attack increase of 47.

Scenario 2: Mid-range.
    Now you're a mid-ranged Night Lord. You still have your Ilbis, but now you can upgrade to an Average Dragon Green Sleve and choose to scroll it for 60%s and probably pass at least 5. However, your DEXless claw gets the same bonus. You have 12 attack BWGs now, a 2 attack PAC, and you use Ciders. Now you also have a Zakum Helmet and HTP, lowering the DEX difference by 23. Therefore, you get a static weapon attack increase of 71.

Scenario 3: Pro.
    You're the real deal now. You have super strong gears. Of course you have Ilbis. You're able to land a couple 30%s on a Perfect Dragon Purple Sleve and 60%+WS the remainder. Again you can do the same with your DEXless claw counter part. Your BWG is up to 16 weapon attack, your PAC up to 9 weapon attack, and please, you always use Onyx Apples. This gets you a static weapon attack increase of 172. Your Zakum Helmet is scrolled for DEX, your HTP is egged, and you can afford a good overall for DEX or LUK of equal caliber. This cuts the DEX difference by 60.

LUK loss = 115 - (6 - 2) = 111
    AP required = 111 + (111) / ([46 + 47 / 40 + 47] - 1) = 111 + (111) / ([93 / 87] - 1) = 111 + (111) / (.07) = 111 + 1609.5 = 1720.5

Ergo, the Night Raven's Claw is better forever.
    LUK loss = 102 - (0 - 2) = 104
    AP required = 104 + (104) / ([60 + 71 / 50 + 71] - 1) = 104 + (104) / ([131 / 121] - 1) = 104 + (104) / (.08) = 104 + 1258.4 = 1362.4

Ergo, the Night Raven's Claw is better forever.
    LUK loss = 65 - (11 - 4) = 58
    AP required = 58 + (58) / ([75 + 172/ 60 + 172] - 1) = 58 + (58) / ([247 / 232] - 1) = 58 + (58) / (.06) = 58 + 897.06 = 955.06

Ergo, when your total usable AP is 956 or more, it is worth it to put your AP into DEX in order to make the switch from Night Raven's Claw to Perfect Dragon Purple Sleve.

TL;DR
    As you can see, going DEXless is for the most part the superior option. Only in the very end game will you start to have to think about whether or not you should be switching over some of that LUK AP into DEX. This is because of how the formula works and how little weapon attack claws give. The boost from other sources is so great that it effectively "equalizes" their attack power by a lot, and LUK makes much more of a difference than it honestly should.

All that said, if you have any doubt, use the formula given to find your answer! By the way, I'll work on a calculator for this as well and update with it so that it becomes easier.

Thanks to @Lionheart@Lionheart for reminding me how much weapon attack Night Lords truly get.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:30 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The same thing I said to you in the NRC thread applies here. Don't take any shortcuts and be sure to add in all factors, otherwise you are going to end up misleading people.

3. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Thanks for pointing out that problem. I updated my post to be more accurate.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    6:30 AM
    Its old fact.
    Lowdex > Dexless on long run.
    For now dexless is stronger.
    Once u get Godly scroll claw + Bot/top then lowdex will be better
    Because u can go near 25dex base and use a lvl 100-110claw

• Like Like x 1
  5. Illusion

Illusion Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Illusion
    Hermit
    unlike lucky7, triple throw does not state it being based on luk (it might be simply %dmg like stated, without a special formula).
    too lazy to do research, long live dexless's

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    5:30 AM
    Beginner
    That formula is correct. They are based solely on LUK and ATT.

7. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Yeah, I tried finding any pre-bb source that contests it, but I couldn't find anything. I only found one source which explicitly stated that Triple Throw does in fact use the same formula, most don't explicitly say it does or doesn't. But as far as I can tell it seems accurate. I would be glad for any confirmation from developers, though. :)

Also, just as a side note... all the factors I overlooked (attack speed, Maple Warrior, and Echo of a Hero), if I'm correct, all will just benefit the Night Raven's Claw even more. I am of the opinion now that it is truly the end game claw to go for. That is, of course, until you literally get enough +DEX from gear that you reach 140 DEX or more.

8. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    but why not scroll those same gears for luk instead??? *tips questioning fedora*
    over to you my good sir

9. Illusion

Illusion Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Illusion
    Hermit
    scrolling luk is typically more expensive, plus maple warrior only works on base stats so its better to have high base luk and dex items than the opposite

10. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Yeah, pretty much what Illusion said. LUK scrolls outright don't exist for some items (helmets, eye accessory, earrings) where DEX scrolls do.

11. Illusion

Illusion Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Illusion
    Hermit
    maybe not in v62, but bbb definetly shows earrings for luk exist, and its dropped from red kentaurus

12. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Yeah, I'm almost 100% sure they do not exist in v62. Someone please post if they find one. :)

13. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    11:30 AM
    Legendiary does not list Earrings for LUK 60% in either Red Kentaurus or I.AM.ROBOT, so it's likely not available here. That means you can only scroll cape for luk (which is replaced by WA capes), or overall for luk (superior to top luk).

14. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    11:30 PM
    Moderator Post
    Earring LUK 60 has been added to Red Kents
    Earring LUK 10 has been added to Roid (Magatia)

Source below contains a screenshot of an +11 LUK earring from July 2008 along with a comment mentioning Earring LUK scrolls being obtainable since patch v.56

http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=176

• Like Like x 3