1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to put the game in accordance with everyday life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KOSEM, Apr 6, 2015.

1. KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    8:55 PM
    Hi everyone. Again, and I know Ive been doing this a few times already - really really sorry for the unexpected thread. I know you didnt see this coming. I just, have something I really want to talk about with the community. I hope nobody minds.

Well, you see . . . in the past when I was younger and still played this game, I didnt really care about how it pretty much ruined my life in the way that I was trying to run away from school, or not go altogether, or when I was skipping meals/hang out with irl friends just so I can spend some more time on Maple. Now, being 22, I really start to take it more seriously than before. I used to think this game is the only reason to rush home for, I had fights with my sibling over who gets to play on the computer first, etc. - all sorts of things. And I did all this just because I had this extreme urge to play as much as possible. Or, as it is often called, addiction. This addiction to the game . . . all the time when I was young, I had not fully realized it, and I have let it control me and my life. I'm sure some of you here may have been through similar times, and when you grew up you might have started to pay more attention to it and take it more seriously. Its really vital to anyone out there who is addicted to this game. Its because if you dont be careful, this game can really ruin your life. Really, I'm not joking. I think it kind of did in some way for me by now already, in the sense that I dont have as much real life friends as others have, and this is all because of me focusing on this game than focusing on making friends in life, or at school when I was younger. I even gave up on homework and other important studies. Yeah, I guess I really thought nothing could stop me from loggin in and playing this game everyday hahah...But now, when I have finally realized the damage done to me by overplaying this game so much, I have started to significantly reduce the hours I spend playing it. I dont ever try to completely refrain from, playing altogether, because I still love this game, even if I am considered childish by others because I still play it , etc. I'm sure some of you may have been through similar times in your life, or even going through something like this right now. That's where you can feel safe about sharing it here - let your thoughts be heard and perhaps even share what you've done to stop this crazy addiction you might have had to this game. I mean, this passion and enthusiasm to play this game - who doesnt have? Its great to have, but you have to set up your limits or you'll be letting it control you and ruin your life. Man, when I had learned my lesson from all that, I sure have improved much better, both as a person and as a player. I'd imagine my life pretty miserable if I were to not realize it ever. I know I'm late by realizing it only in recent years, but "better than never" as they say. Now I only play a few hours a day at most, and thats only after I am done with real life stuff. I have a great idea of looking at it and preventing myself from overplaying - I take care of my real life stuff first, then, and only then I play games. its really great feeling to be able to control things, especially addiction which can be difficult to control. I hope some people around these parts can share a little bit from their own experiences, and what did they do to deal with their addiction to this game. I hope you found my own story interesting, and looking forward to hear about yours. Always happy to come here knowing there's a nice community willing to listen and discuss things together.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    2:55 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I had a pretty bad problem with it when I was younger too. It eventually just boiled down to the fact that I needed to do what I needed to do. And when my life fell apart from not doing what I need to do, it was a wake-up call. So I started doing what I need to do, and it's been alright ever since. I took some time away from maple when I was having to work a full time job and go to college at the same time, but now that those two years are over, life is good now.
    The thing that keeps me from over-playing is that if I go back to playing 16-18 hours a day, I will lose my career, my home, my everything.
    Some people are here because they don't have to do anything else, and play every waking minute. And I can actually respect that. If they have no obligations, then all the power to them. Honestly, I would too because for some reason, I find THAT much enjoyment in this game. And it's scary to think that, but "different strokes for different folks", ya know?
    There are many situations that either justify time spent on here or nullify.
    Kat for example, is a stay-at-home milf. My stay at home milf. She has a perfect example of a good reason to play this. She has to be home ALOT for her kids and take care of them, and she has to play this because her kids drive her batshit crazy. If I had kids, I would too!
    Some people are here while working 60+ hours a week, and play every minute that they aren't at work or sleeping. That was me until very recently when I was forced to transition jobs. At the moment, I'm working a temporary job about 40 hours a week until next year, when I go back to my old job. But when I'm not at work or taking care of other minor life stuff, I'm on here. No matter what. And even that does damage. I have less relationship with my family and friends.
    Some people are here when they shouldn't be. On the edge of being kicked out of their homes, losing their jobs, burning bridges just to level up. That was me until it finally happened and I had to get my life together.
    Different situations for everyone. Some people even play this at work, just because they can.
    It's simply a matter of having the power to realize when enough is enough.
    As far as actually trying to stop the addiction.....
    I have not tried. At all. I don't want to. I have recently began quitting cigarettes, because I want to. But I don't want to quit this game, and I won't want to unless.... well, I can't think of any reasons. Even when I took a two year break from Maple, I still logged in to the server that I was on here and there to say hello and grind for a couple of house, vote, etc. I knew the whole time that as soon as I was done with my degree, I would come straight back to gaming. And I did. And I don't think I'm going anywhere either.

Also- Tenderly your threads are wonderful. No need to apologize for anything about them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    This thread is the story of my life. I used MapleStory as my main outlet in tough times during my teenage years through my first few years of college. I was dealing with some major psychological issues at the time and I didn't have effective coping mechanisms. Flaws in my personality (obsession, perfectionism, impulsiveness, etc.) ended up being a perfect recipe for a disastrous addiction to this game. In those days I wasted thousands of dollars and hours trying to create a perfect life inside of MapleStory in attempt to run away from painful reality.

To be completely honest, I needed professional help and I did not have the skills or the foresight to change my behavior at that time. I've grown up a lot and while I don't regret the time I've spent with this game, I do regret the money blown and relationships lost more than anything else.

Now I try to see this game as just another hobby and I have to work diligently to keep the addiction in check. I'm not always good at this. I tend to quit cold turkey now and then for weeks or months at a time when the stress hits the fan. Right now my goal is to reward myself with play time after I've done a sufficient amount of work. I'd like to play ~1 hour max on weekdays and as much as I want on weekends without compromising my health or responsibilities.
    I think I spend too much time on the forums... but I haven't figured out how to address that yet.

The truth is that some people just have more on their plate than others. I used to be the kind of person that could no-life and play all day every day, but eventually I found out that this really isn't the life I want to lead. I was really unhealthy and miserable. I am highly motivated to achieve success in other aspects of life and too much gaming gets in the way of those goals. I'm sometimes envious of how relaxed and carefree other people are... but I know down the road I want something different.

*If you are interested I'd like to be buddies in game. I've been looking for friends who seek a more balanced life because I think they will be more understanding of my situation. We can also encourage each other when the addiction is getting too strong. :) My IGN is Kitty.

• Like Like x 5
  4. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    11:55 AM
    NSFW
    All games are dangerous and all games have the potential to make you addicted. Please everyone, be careful.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ROFLS

ROFLS Mushmom

Jan 9, 2015
    I'm really glad we are seeing this kind of discussion so early on into this server's life.

A few points I'd like to add:

Whenever this topic comes up, people tend to focus on the very obvious dangers of game addiction: poor performance at school/work, lacking social life, lacking love life, etc. However, in my personal experience, I've found the effects to be much more subtle and as a result go unnoticed for way too long. I have definitely experienced very real addiction to this game, but from an outside perspective I was on top of all my shit. Good grades, social life, love life - so it was easy for me to justify spending absurd hours playing. But as time went on, I came to realize that I had lost sight of ALL my other interests and long term goals. In a way, I felt as though I had lost a piece of myself. But there was never a sudden moment where it was obvious that I was addicted, because the "important" things were still in place. I'm rambling but my point is that the MOST important things in your life are not your grades, having friends, and being in love. Even more important than all of this, is your understanding of who you are, what you stand for, and what you want for your future -- and for me, this is what gaming addiction made me lose sight of.

I have a LOT more thoughts on this but will return later. Love you all :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    Joke's on you, I had bad grades before I was addicted to games.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dysmia

Dysmia Mano

Apr 6, 2015
    Lunar Space Station
    If someone has the capacity to get addicted, they will get addicted to anything. Singling out Maple, or video games in general, is not fair. A person with an addictive personality seeks to completely lose themselves in something outside of them so that they do not have to face reality... people can end up as social addicts or work addicts but few will say that anything is wrong with those, why? It's the same idea, a person perpetually running away from the pain.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    I don't think you understand how addiction works. There is no such thing as an "addictive personality."

9. Dysmia

Dysmia Mano

Apr 6, 2015
    Lunar Space Station
    I would say that a person who finds themselves in the midst of it understands it better than someone who is using textbooks, granted that they have sufficient self-awareness about what is occurring. I am referring to someone that repeatedly fails to establish balance and often loses themselves in one particular thing while neglecting the rest of their lives. What would you define as personality?

10. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    That is called having low levels of self-control and self-discipline, something which I, too, suffered from and still to an extent suffer from. But no person is more inherently prone to addiction.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_dependence

11. Dysmia

Dysmia Mano

Apr 6, 2015
    Lunar Space Station
    Can I ask why you think video games in particular are dangerous, as opposed to other forms of addiction? Unless that post was a joke that went over my head.

12. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    Because games are extremely accessible, free, enjoyable, commonplace and seemingly completely harmless. There is nothing about games that is inherently more addicting -- it's the abundance and the mindset surrounding them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaikor

Jaikor Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 5, 2015
    I actually did an oral presentation earlier this week about procrastination and the toll it takes on life. I talked about my personal experience, the detrimental effects of procrastination, and how you can eventually overcome it. After a brief explanation of what procrastination is, I told them to raise their hands if they were a procrastinator and guess what? The entire auditorium consisting of 300 people had all raised their hands. You don't realize you're a procrastinator until you really step back and look at your performance at school, at work and at home. You feel lazy, you tend to skip school, you do your homework at the very last minute. These are negative effects at the result of your procrastinating behavior. Once you enter the cycle it takes a lot to break the chain. Improved time management and priority listing is key to resolving this exhibited behavior. You have to accommodate your needs before your wants. It's hard because procrastination isn't temporary. It is also likely to cause stress and impede on your happiness as you often find yourself questioning where you are in life because you feel regret as a result of your procrastination. I left the audience with a scenario, You have an assignment due the next day and there's 20 questions. You have finished the first question and you feel accomplished, you pat yourself on the back and give yourself a 3 hour break before completing the next question. A lot of the students smiled and laugh but I know it relates to them because quite a few came to me and talked to me. This is how you know you're a heavy procrastinator.

• Like Like x 6
  14. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    If anyone wants a book recommendation for breaking the chain: Eat That Frog really helped me. It's more about success in business but it is applicable to normal procrastination.

Actually, there's no point in reading the whole book. I'll give a TL;DR:
    • Make lists. The more time you spend making lists and prioritizing, the less time you will need to spend working
    • Prioritize what is the biggest, hardest thing that you will need to do in the day, and do it first
    • Don't overestimate how many hours are in a day

15. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    I broke my addiction to gaming by making another addiction... to my To-Do lists. I get a mental high every time I cross something off the list. I have a constant list going every day, even if it's small, simple things like "do the dishes today". I try to put the most important things to me first, so something like dishes tends to be towards the middle - needs to get done, but don't put it before major life obligations like work and health. I try to remember to reward myself - including remembering to play some :) - in between accomplishing things. Everyone needs some leisure time, but it's not really leisure anymore when it becomes an addiction.

It's probably one of the hardest things to do, but the nice part is it's also very simple. It's not complicated, it just takes a lot of self-control and diligence.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    I don't mean to go off-topic here, but I wanted to say procrastination isn't always a bad thing. From my personal experience in college, I've found that I perform better under time constraints. If I'm given 3 weeks for an assignment, I usually do it the few days before it's due. It allows me to sit down, stay focused, and power through it knowing that I HAVE to get it done now. If I go home and work on an assignment the day it's assigned, I'll get easily distracted and there will always be the thought that it's not due anytime soon so my mind isn't set on it. Almost everyone I know is the same way. I believe we live in a society where procrastination is normal behavior, healthy or not. I agree it puts unnecessary stress on yourself, but in turn that stress becomes motivation.

As for maple addiction, I think everyone here was addicted at one point in their life. The way maplestory is designed, it's inherently addicting. Your character is anthropomorphic, you can make facial expressions, chat with anyone via typing, dress your character, explore an entire virtual world, "grow" as you play and level up. It's easy to make it your second reality. As you grow in level, more content is available, so it makes you want to spend hours upon hours leveling up to get there. Not to mention there's an entire economy that you can participate in. Many virtual reality games are like this, such as WoW and runescape, etc. It's very easy to get so invested in these kind of games. Of course, it's not just Maplestory. Many people get addicted to console games as well, like Call of Duty, Halo, Minecraft, etc. It's video games in general. They provide a lot of pleasure and entertainment with such little effort. People say the same about television and people's addiction to that. You literally just have to sit there and the TV provides hours of entertainment and pleasure with no effort from you. Bottomline, humans are creatures of habit and we naturally get addicted to things whether we realize it or not.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moon Chung

Moon Chung Slime

Apr 13, 2015
    Male
    colerain
    I/L Mage
    N o t o r i o u s
    Dang, the only way I broke out of this game was by being addicted to another game LOL. Though, I don't regret any second of this game.

18. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    Back then (with old maple) i was addicted too. I'm glad i was just 6 starting to play the game and so on. Because elementary gives u a lot of free time and almost no homework. I played the game 5 years and in 2011 (before big bang (in EMS)) i was on vacation and somehow MapleStory wouldn't start up. I tried countless times and eventually it removed itself. I couldn't download it anymore for a few years. My ol' laptop really saved me there.