1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

About Shaolin maps balance. Funny reaction its always welcome.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Althariisa, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    12:35 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Since the community seems to be very docile about the balance changes of the Valentine event patch/game change. I want to raise my voice about the shaolin balance that`s make myself very unsatisfied and im sure a good part of the community after they finish exploring the changes.

The Past:

Shaolin was released on Summer of 2018 as a new area along as part of the new china part accesible by world tour NPCs located in almost every town EXCEPT: Herb town, Aquarium, New leaf city and Korean folk town. (If im missing one then my bad.)

The reason to add shaolin was just to give a new content to MapleLegends. Since thats one of the principal premises of the server as a whole. So give new variety for all the players meanwhile experiencing the nostalgia of the Old School MapleStory. a Server that will always be v62 over everything.

But to resume everything i was going to say about the story, that have nothing to DO with the thing i want to talk about.

Shaolin has passed by many several changes regarding it performance. the exp was too high, too many safe spots for mules, another ppl call shaolin as a high level gs2, another ppl say that its just too op, indeed many opinions have been given to this area giving only just a polemic debate that never ended. But regarding about the polemic about this zone, this place won itself a place on the heart of the community so some of us are sensitive to the changes and notice all the impacts that a single change can do on it.

The problem with shaolin as a whole:

1- Leech: So, leech as a part of the economy. shaolin offered a new economy option for leech. being able to leech at lv 115 at 1-2, 120 at 3-4 and 125 at 5-6 or 7f, made it very viable for this economy branch. In my opinion leech has grow up very very deep on the economy of the server and its the only thing that keep stable on the market since the scrolls and skills books are dropping down on price. making boss runs or farming a bit underrated and not worth at all. I think its too late to try to change this and i think most of us doesnt want this to be changed now.

2- Eph: Yes, the eph of shaolin makes feels the server not being 2x but 4x. the level curve of the players has incresed very big on 2019 and today looking some1 reach 200 almost everyday makes feel the server like a cakewalk and an easy game. but then again i think its too late to change something about this. many ppl on 2018, did talk about this on the forums but the actions weren't executed in time and it turned the thing that is today. just a zone that makes the game in just a braindead grind to 200. But community still loved it, and it didnt affected the server player base at all, as far community loves it why change this?.

In the end on the day i think that the shaolin introduction had to been give a deeper thought before adding because seems that YOU feel like adding this area was a mistake since the beggining of everything and i also think it. but what its done, its done; and it worked good until now.

The customers have always the reason. that's the thing that makes a bussiness alive. and the customers are the community. Ya'll work hard to make people happy playing this game.

Changes and countermeasures made to shaolin status:

First change was to make the bookshelfs not stationable to mules on the lower parts of 5-6.

Second change was exp nerf of shaolin and balance of nt exp.

Third change was to make the fishes on 7f auto-aggro to prevent mule placing.

The previous patch made the mobs unable to be frozen and able to jump. all to countermeasure the safe spots where people placed mules/leechers. the reasoning behind this that they wanted to somehow nerf the shaolin leeching. in the end it wasnt a bad idea at all but all the mobs got really bugged on they spawn points and movement ranges that had created more safe spot instead of decreasing them making it look like this idea didnt work out at all. thats all i can say about this.

The positions on every mobs changed too. There was a time the mobs spawned in the stairs where the portals are making it a pain in the ass to move other floor. some ppl including me thought that it was intended this way but after it was clarified that the thing was a bug/glitch on the mob positioning and after it got fixed with a patch. but we had to wait really long to it get fixed.

The only reasoning i know about this shaolin changes, its to somehow stop the overleeching in shaolin, or either the ppl leveling too fast making the game to easy. many attempts and failures happened during the overhaul of this maps to in any form "balance" the current state of the situation.

So, Doesn't matter the changes that have been made to shaolin. people always passed them by and keep going with it. Legends community its strong and always found a way to enjoy the grinding regardless the failures.

Actual Shaolin Status:

First, im going to explain the changes that so far i saw:

Shaolin 1-2, 3-4: These maps have a very similar layout, many platforms were removed so the mule placing its now impossible. also the mobs are reduced.

Shaolin 5-6: Many platforms were removed. making it impossible to place a mule. also the mobs are reduced. there is a mini-dungeon map. also the spawns are reduced.

Shaolin 7f: The fish position are changed. thing that I like in a certain way. pre-patch was a pain in the ass the position of the right side fish, really ugly and un-practical. but middle ground its now reached by fish range so mule placing its impossible again.

Shaolin 7f strat talking:

Before you could keep a mule inside the channel if you were skilled enought with the fishes. but the fishes were changed to be autoaggro. and now this strat its useless.

You were able to put the mule on the staircase of 5-6 where the portal to 7f its located. for rebuffs. this one was easier and also made the grinding possible regardless any change. but now with the overhaul. the mobs can jump and the platforms are removed its impossible to put a mule there. so this strat its eliminated.

There was a middle ground behind the jiaoceng npc. you could place your mule there. now this strat its removed with the actual overhaul.

There is a post that talks about how to keep your mules alive on 7f. of the user Tate aka potayto. gotta let him talk about it and if this afected his strategie. but myself im not really sure if i want to keep that fish alive. so im not going make a debate about it. But i still mark it as a nice post for the ones that still wanna do it.

But that's all about it. now you can go for rebuff in fm cause its the only way apart of the strat of tate. in fact you can go struggle like a dumb while your char catch a breath to go fm and rebuff. thinking about it makes me WANT TO VOMIT.

Remaining shaolin floors:

I dont have a need to talk about this. its obvious. just go fm for rebuff and struggle for it. ill give you a candy for your patience. you are all welcome to struggle to go fm and get your map sniped.

Result:

So, in the end i dont see a balanced status but just a place that i dont want to visit personally. in fact the idea of making this place on the line of remaning training places its bad executed in my opinion, i dont know yours im talking for myself here. im sure it was just really better to ERASE the zone itself than make it useless and just a decor to the server.

Stop wasting time and ruining things to punish leechers please i feel it just ruined the grinders like me.

Im pretty sure the community doesn`t wanted this change and didnt asked for it now. 7f was a good community place and i really knew most of my friends there and spend a lot of time. but lets see what time will tell about your "Attemps" maybe im wrong with my statement. who knows?

Thanks for reading this. i know it was quite long but i cant hide the dissapointment i having about this.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Jean Justen

Jean Justen Mushmom

Jul 2, 2017
    Beginner
    Fully agree. Not being able to put the mules on 5-6F's door killed 7F for me. The exp was always better than obv4, but the meso income was always low, so i always swaped between those 2 maps for grinding. As you said, thinking about going to FM while being sniped by fishes every 2 seconds makes me wanna vomit as well, lol.

I understand the intent of nerfing previous floors for leechers, but it hurt the 7f legit grinders (not even talking about the spawn nerf). Could be too much of a stretch but.. maybe a portal in 7F that brings you to a small dark room behind the scroll so you can buff yourself without people being able to leech.

3. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    5:35 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    You can still have mules on the same spot as before. haven't checked safe spots for 1-2 and 3-4 though

4. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    11:35 AM
    DMsRebirth
    They were talking about putting mules in 5-6F for people in 7F. You couldn't do that any more since the jumping patch, because the monks would jump and get to the mules. Right now the only safe way to mule in 7F is through mystic door.

5. ShadowRealm

ShadowRealm Chronos

Jun 18, 2018
    8:35 AM
    Shadower
    They should just double the size of the map and retain the same mobs, then shaolin would be called a balance map.

6. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    8:35 AM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    If it’s too much of a pain for you just farm on another map. Or play the game with friends for your buffs than just muling. Being unable to farm on one map isn’t the end of the world

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I know what you mean, but the part I quoted is not talking about 7F. it clearly states the "current status of 5-6F" as he mentioned the exact same for 1-2F and 3-4F which has no relation to 7F

8. Jean Justen

Jean Justen Mushmom

Jul 2, 2017
    Beginner
    You don't seem to understand. Why would i choose 7f now if i can go Obv4 and make money while grinding?

7F:
    Better EXP than Obv.4
    Low meso income
    Duo incentive
    No safe spots
    Annoying to go to FM

Obv4:
    Good exp overall
    Chill training
    Relatively safe spots for mules / pauses / go to fm

When i wanted more exp, i'would go to 7F. When im short on money / wanna grind chill i would go to 7F.
    We know it's not the end of the world. But don't you agree that MORE options to grind at endgame (50+ levels) are better than just one boring place?

This makes the game more dynamic, more interesting. The more options you give to the player, the better. You don't need to have a OP 7F like it was on release, but for GRINDERS, 7F was a very solid option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jean Justen

Jean Justen Mushmom

Jul 2, 2017
    Beginner
    Not to mention Obv4 spawn is having a buff (after they fix the bug) so everyone will flood those maps

10. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    3:35 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Frankly speaking after the patch I have indeed noticed that the fishes aggro range has also been slightly tweaked.

the mob aggro-abuse strat I suggested still works but it’s made even harder if you’re not duo-ing. Placing mules in the middle is fine but if you do then like it or not you will still need to maintain the aggro of either one of the fishes closest to the middle lest you want to see your mules juggled left and right like a Serena Williams tennis match.

I will still choose to grind at 7f not because I don’t have other options, but i just like the map. It’s layout is still, in my honest option the best for cleaves. It’s just sucky that the nerf to leeching spilled over and affected proper grinders. Not everyone will be satisfied, we’re gonna level up one way or another. SlimeCry

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I'm actually happy these balances have happened.

Makes more sense for soloists that don't play with 15 clients open to train in those maps without seeing the usual smega spam :
    LF> 7f partner, have HS,SE,SI,TL,Gelt kek,Ress ready

Shaolin was a nice powerleveling tool for me, when I was playing my paladin (130 to 140, 140+ at ToT), back when HH was 10sec CD but now I see how degenerative the gameplay has become after almost a year and half (damn 2019 lmao)

Now I see Shaolin as a degen place where mages duo-ing do 140-200 in ~3 months... and that devalues the meaning of leveling when you see more and more high LVL chars being pumped in the leaderboard.
    Drop in some mule 'mains' to grab exp and you're seeing a massive bump of high LVL chars.

I haven't been at Shaolin 5-6f since HH got nerfed to 15sec CD and, for my part, I've tried doing 7f and I've enjoyed it a lot, especially doing it solo or with another attacker, no need for bullshit HS,SE,SI,TL,Gelt,Ress mules ready in the bookshelves or 5-6f door.

Finally, when I will get back to those LVLs (140+) I will be kinda happy that, if I want to grab a map of 7f, I can do that, without having to cc around seeing parties of 3~4 players camping the maps.
    Or as I would call, abusing the map design and unbalanced behaviour.

On a final note, see you in ToT in a couple of months, heard the place is better to chill grind, as v62 grind should have always been.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I'd love that we were able of seeing other peoples' leveling maps in their leveling page on webiste, just to create basic statistics about time-variance in pre and post shaolin.
    #ThankGodShaolinNerfed

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I have to say that the only map that have a true safe spot its 5-6 so selling leech there its still viable. 3-4 and 1-2 are the only ones affected but thats nothing if 5-6 its working with safe spot (duh).

May i add that its not posible doing tot questline with a lv 81 character? how you take that mule there? you gotta waste nx on vip rock or simply ask a bishop to door it. so its better to take your own bishop to ob4. but what if i dont want to do all that struggle?

what's the point on making a training spot unviable cuz the only reasoning that you dont want leechstory? you re just messing the playstyle because petris and skele have its safe spots and leechstory happens everyday.

I think the reasoning its very clumsy too if you ask me.

13. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I also want to add that the mystic door glitch on shaolin was never fixed. so you have by all means create the party with the door as leader and recreate if the leader dcs and loses lead. this is a thing that is necessary to take care off and it didnt happened in the 3 years shaolin its up. making this strat of mystic door clumsy for me too.

In the end, i think its just better to erase shaolin once of all. but if you do it means that cards have to dissapear too and everyone will get messed on their tiers. under this reasoning its better to just make the map unviable. funny right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    My docile friend. you re practically saying i should team only with bishops and not another attacker if i want to farm that map. and i guess this is not a thing ill ever consider. We duo in 7f with other attackers and the mule to only hs us. so really I dont see how your answer helps to solve the problem. we talking about a zone as a whole and how its damaged. but if you re fine to see useless places on the server then you re welcome.

15. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Actually the muling can happen on all grinding map. and the access is for the ones who can handle that lot of accs. so i dont see how the muling reasoning can really be an issue inside shaolin. if the muling its the problem. you better ban all multiclienting if thats the issue. if you re mad cuz the pally was nerfed and you say this under this reasoning, i undertand now why we are how we are. its like complain about the ppl that abused manne years ago. so believe it or not the muling its not a good reasoning to JUSTIFY the nerf of shaolin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I guess shadower can stun everything with bstep. its easier to maintain a mule for you. ezclap.

17. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I love this idea.

18. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:35 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    So all the maps were just taking the JMS layout of things, so if there's any custom changes we want to make for the maps, like adding back certain platforms, I think we'd be down to hear them!

And hmmm when I tested 7F, I could've sworn the middle platform was a pseudo safe spot, unless you have silver/gold giants hitting the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    the pseudo safe spot doesnt exist anymore, the autoaggro fishes can reach the platform from the two sides now. thats the problem here. to give a solution for this, can the fishes not be autoaggro?. the mules will be still be hit but if you re skilled enought you can mantain the mule safe, sometimes getting hit thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. buffyfluffy

buffyfluffy Orange Mushroom

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    11:35 PM
    Beginner
    Definitely agree with this post. As a player, instead of feeling that things got balanced, it only seemed to make shaolin an obsolete place for me as a melee class.

I feel that nerfing such places after so many people have already used it to get to where they are today makes it extremely unfair for future players. I see people asking for 5-6 and 7f nerfs when either they or their friends have already finished leeching or training at those places and reached their desired levels. But i definitely see that if something's not balanced, you don't keep it for the sake of fairness.
    i personally have not tested eph at 7f again post-patch, but have heard of really big drop in eph. So essentially getting to level 200 in 2021 is harder than 2020? Which in my opinion doesnt keep the game balanced at all. Maybe there could be exact information provided on how many of each mob is reduced during each nerf, so we could provide a better counter-suggestion on the amount being nerfed?

But the biggest issue with the 7f nerf this time round is definitely the lack of a safe spot. The lack of safe spot for hs mule really boggles me because for I don't really understand the intentions of staff here. Is the usage of hs mule discouraged and thus this change? If this is the case, letting players know straight up might solve a lot of potential frustrations. If not, why make life so extremely hard for people to get hs while grinding? I hope staff can consider putting in place a proper safe spot for hs mules so people do not have to figure stuff like aggro which fish or not killing which fish in order to keep their hs mules alive.

Lastly, the removal of any safe platform in 1-2 kinda seems like that map will literally become a waste of space because nobody will go there. It becomes impossible to leech at 1-2 and people have to return back to skeles/petri if they want to leech. Is that the intention of the changes?

Just thoughts on the shaolin changes from an increasingly frustrated player

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1