1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Autoassemble, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autoassemble

Autoassemble Selkie Jr.

Apr 14, 2015
    Male
    4:51 PM
    iDummie
    Thief
  2. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    6:51 PM
    There is a problem doing that.
    Because marriage take place at the catholic church of saint slime
    And as far as i know they not support thoes kind of marriage.
    But you can still make it by off church marriage , u just cant amoria pq.OnionBlush

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Neko

Neko Wolfspider

Dec 26, 2014
    5:51 PM
    Neko / Inumimi lvl 6x BM
    Bishop
    Project <3
    why do something like that have to decide if 2 people of the same gender should be able to get married or not ?

and do we really have to bring in real life same sex marriage hate into a game, why not just allow it so that everyone gets happy its not like it will hurt anyone who is thinking about doing a normal marriage anyway so MapleF8

i think same sex marriage would be a good addition to the server, as it would allow more freedom

• Like Like x 2
  4. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    11:51 AM
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Yes pls. Idk how difficult it'd be to implement but I'd love it.

5. Jaikor

Jaikor Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 5, 2015
    8:51 AM
    Although I agree with your point I have to mention that the population is comprised of 70% males and 30% females and by leaving marriage in tact we are involuntarily encouraging people to play more female characters regardless of their gender. Most people don't take in account that there are some that create mules just for the sake of Amoria PQ so marriage should also come with its disadvantages. You can't really say that we're discriminating gay marriage because it has been this way with MapleStory for quite some time now.

6. Infidel

Infidel Capt. Latanica

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Infidel / Duke
    Priest, Hunter
    FaerieCircle
    I'd like to marry my dog.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    11:51 PM
    Just pointing out some of the advantages of not using gay marriage for consideration before making a decision:

I have nothing against gay marriage in real life, and I won't mind if gay marriage is implemented (especially so if marriage wasn't linked to any content), but there are some advantages/purpose of marriage being only of opposite gender in the game. It restricts the ease of getting married: You cannot just get married to anyone and go do APQ, you can only do so with "qualified individuals" aka people of opposite gender. I'd like to draw parallels to CWKPQ in which you need at least 10 players, 2 from each job. You cannot do CWKPQ with any 10 players, you must have at least 2 from each job. Same for marriage, it isn't something everyone can do, you must have 1 from each gender. The only difference is that marriage is based of the real life ceremony, and today gay marriage is widely accepted, hence it may be unfair to restrict that in the game. However, because marriage is required for in-game content, I would prefer it to remain the way it is because from the gaming point of view it makes it more challenging to meet the requirements for APQ.

Other points include those Jaikor have said: It encourages you (or your friend) to make the alternate gender character (so players would have to plan from the start). Not 100% sure but I think crush rings can also be used by any combination of gender as a replacement for marriage? And of course, the age-old argument that it is GMS-like to keep it this way, although I dare say GMS let it remain the same for similar reasons mentioned above: If anyone could get married, it makes the requirement to do APQ close to redundant. It's just like forming a permanent party of 2 with anyone you like for the PQ.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goofy

Goofy Mushmom

Jan 13, 2015
    SoCal
    An unwillingness to implement this feature will be seen as a political statement and will be met with outrage--as it did for Neckson. Nothing good can come of it.

Forcing your friends to make opposite-gender characters is an unnecessary hurdle that adds nothing of value to the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Infidel

Infidel Capt. Latanica

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Infidel / Duke
    Priest, Hunter
    FaerieCircle
    Keyword you said at the end "game". This isn't real life, there's no political statements. Its like you said, a game.

10. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    I don't see "keeping it a challenge" as a very good reason. It's not like it's hard to make a mule and level them up for marriage. It's just annoying and unnecessary.

I shouldn't have to marry a marriage mule. It's like the Maple equivalent of a mail-order bribe. I should be able to marry who I want.

11. Jaikor

Jan 5, 2015
    If it is not hard to make a mule and level it for marriage/pq to begin with, then do it. Why bother to enable same sex marriage? I have serious a question for you, answer it honestly and don't take it the wrong way but are you a homosexual? I believe a marriage is supposed to constitute an ingame relationship similar to real life, hence the term marriage instead of friendship. People are just bandwagoning the gay marriage simply because they want to Amoria PQ at ease. You should be able to tell by now that Maple Legends has a line that it does not want to cross and by implementing a simple change like this, it could bring upon a very detrimental and drastic deflation in cost of items obtained from Amoria PQ.

12. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Yes I'm gay. Whether same sex marriage is enabled or not, it still wouldn't be what Neckson intended. People will marry their mules if it's not enabled, and they will marry their friends if it is enabled. At least in the 2nd scenario people are marrying actual players.

13. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:51 PM
    Moderator Post
    Our plans was first to make marriage 100% GMS-like on the re-coding and than see what the client hits us with (Neckson added a lot of checks you can't engage same sex).

Obviously I am for same sex marriage since I am bi myself, so after our re-coding we look into if its a possible thing or not. However, back in an other server things like temp gender changes were done (so you can marry) and than changing back. This will not be an option for us due to many reasons, so we have to look into something else. So far I know Neckson only added a million checks on the engagement process, not the marriage.

However, both Navi and I accept same sex marriage so we will for sure look into it after the re-code.

TL;DR: We first make it 100% GMS-like and than see if same sex is possible.

• Like Like x 6
  14. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    screw apq, i make female characters to get free equips o:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Our admins already accepted this as a possibility, depending on software technicalities a long time ago during Beta.
    I like straight people, like me, I like bi-people, like Kimberly, I like gay people, like Crisk, and I like you as a staff member, but as a community leader, you should know better than to publicly ask someone if they are gay. Some are more open about it, which I think is good if it's not screamed and raved about. But some take that offensively, whether they are gay or bi or not.

• Like Like x 7
  16. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    how is marrying a male friend for APQ any different from marrying a female friend for APQ?
    for the record i'm bi and don't believe in marriage in real life

17. Jaikor

Jan 5, 2015
    From what I know and experienced, its hard coded into the server files and it's not likely something they can directly modify. But you're right about me being a community leader and I apologize to all regardless of whether you deem my question offensive or rude. I don't want people to think that I am a condescending person and that I'm against the implementation of gay marriage. It's just that I have played multiple servers in the past that strived for this kind of addition to the server only for their own benefits, which resulted in failure in terms of longevity.

edit:
    @NFSW To answer your question, refer to Bulba's post.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  18. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Can you change gender for marriage, have the characters go through the process, then change back to male? :confused: Or would that unlink the characters? I see problems arising from unisex, but wouldn't that bypass the coding for m x f only marriage? You CAN edit marriage in the character database I believe? It would be much easier than asking them to recode all of this complex stuff.

Just kidding ^

Anywho, I am 100% for it. It's 2015. I'm 100000% straight, but I've had friends that were gay, lesbian, bi, trans, black, white, asian, Jamaican, take your pick. A 5 year old doesn't see stuff like this, nor do they care. I find it a pointless issue that arises from hate from generations back in teens/adults these days. This is also a game. Some people do it for fun. I'm straight IRL. Would I marry a chick in-game for shits and giggles? Hell yes.

And is there any way to make APQ possible for anyone with an attached marriage encoded in their char?
    Example: I heave a pink heart on my profile? There's an image for that.
    If they have it, they can APQ.

I'm all for it.

As far as I'm concerned if a warp is required to allow these players the option to same sex marriage in-game, so be it. Make a custom make, make it a bit different, then change link them yourself. Obviously this would require restrictions as people would jump gun and annoy the hell out of the mods, but it's workable I think?

19. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    I'm pretty sure Amoria PQ regardless requires at least one of each gender. It may have asked for 3 couples normally, but even inside the PQ I remember there being a "boys" section and "girls" section. Why not just keep it like that? Then you still need at minimum 1 girl, either through 1 straight couple or 1 lesbian couple. The actual "challenge" here is getting a girl character involved, nothing to do with gay vs straight marriage. It'll be hard to find a lesbian or straight couple due to the lack of girls. Not the lack of straight people. There is no reason, even gameplay wise, to exclude gay marriage.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pebbs

Pebbs Master Chronos

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    England
    4:51 PM
    Pebbs
    Bishop
    Dalmascus
    I wanna marry twix :( <3

• Like Like x 1