1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    3:05 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    But smegaing in-game is allowed when you're not spamming, or do you now get banned if you post one message that involves any balance changes?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    And the goal of that is? The forums are for discussion, the game is for people that want to enjoy the game. SMEGAing "REVERT SWEEPER CHANGES" does absolutely nothing useful, except gathering more users smegaing with you, creating an insane amount of spam in-game. Once again, more users smegaing will also not suddenly make us think "oh no, there are people out there that do not like the recent balance changes, and we were definitely NOT aware of this yet!!", nor does it make any changes or discussions go faster. Keep it here, and don't SMEGA stuff in-game that encourage continuously spam and repeated messages to appear. It's quite simple, really.

I am also not going to reply further, since I (and other staff) have already said our thing.

3. Shmoo

Shmoo Horny Mushroom

Oct 16, 2020
    Male
    9:05 AM
    Shmoo
    Warrior
    This post summed up all my feelings exactly. Big thank you staff for getting rid of the sweeper mules. I know its not the popular opinion in this thread, but there's a lot of players out there who agree with this.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    There's no goal, I'm simply asking if this is the case to clarify the rules. I haven't nor do I have the intend to smega anything related to this change as it's a waste of NX

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    6:05 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Make an official community poll instead of protesting/counter-rebutting aimlessly. This back and forth between community and staff will only serve to make staff look bad since the community itself is amorphous and can never take fault.

• Agree Agree x 14
  6. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    This implies you think ML is and/or should be run through a direct democracy system. Which is not what it is, and not how it should be. People as a collective want many things that seem great in the short run and will vote and decide against their best efforts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I never implied the community poll would affect decisions. However, a poll would be good to show on a larger scale the community's discontent of said decisions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    9:05 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Anyway, back to the sweeping change.
    I think it is ok for us to respect the change and see where it brings us in the near future good nor bad.
    But the meso should be patched to make it at least invisible to non-killer, like a quest item, the QoL of gameplay with all those blocking meso is just.....bad...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    We actually had a tespia server (test server) in the past. Players could apply to be a beta tester the same way they can apply to be a staff, and the selected group of players had access to tespia. The problem was that the players leaked the info on the potential changes, which were confidential. ML staff team is very serious about private information like this, so the tespia program ended and that's why we don't have a public test server.

Now, you could argue that the staff team can open tespia to everyone so that there's no confidentiality involved. However, I think that's not up to us to discuss. The staff team has their reasons to keep things confidential so they would need to consider among themselves whether they can open it to the public or not.

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. that boy

that boy Red Snail

May 16, 2017
    Male
    Septher
    I/L Wizard
    I just personally think it's hilarious how one person smega'd last night "revert sweeper changes", followed by a few smegas that were in agreement. Obviously they had satire in them, as many smegas do. I would imagine the point was to spread awareness that the changes are not liked. Pretty sure a bunch of those people got smega muted, along with my one buddy who basically just said "I LOVE MAPLELEGENDS" in the middle of the spam, he got smega muted as well. I don't really remember anyone smegaing more than once. Basically just a way of telling the whole group to shut up and not talk about the changes via smega. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    11:05 PM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    If can work if the test server has the proposed changes and it is open to the public to test. There is no insider information involved since the players will be testing proposed changes and nothing is confirmed. It is just data collection for staff. For example, staff can choose to test multi mage farming. Give testers a few mages and a mu mule and set quests for the testers to hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. aussietinask

aussietinask Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

Feb 26, 2020
    Male
    I’m not sure what you want. We will have discussions on feedback on all changes, whether it’s minor feedback or a riot. We monitor all changes that are made.

How you manage to assume we don’t have discussions before making changes is pretty beyond me. I hope you can see how staff get frustrated when you say these things after they’ve gone through months of discussion then imply they’re lazy when we are all doing this part time after work, and still having daily discussions on everything.

As -ovv said, if your goal is to make staff look bad, you’re doing a great job. Staff can’t do right in these cases, because the community can do no wrong. Staff have the impossible 3 way task between deciding whether to be lighthearted (and be told they’re trolling), lash out in frustration (and be told they’re unprofessional), or stay stoic and reassure we are working on it (and be told we don’t care and don’t listen).

Respect goes both ways, and just because staff are (rightly) held to a higher standard, that should not give the community space to attack them personally, or their work ethic.

the staff have been known to revert changes (like the no SE crit changes to NL). But this is not going to be a knee jerk reaction and we need to discuss it. Constantly smega’ing or calling out staff will not help. We are trying.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. NOCAP

NOCAP Mano

Jan 27, 2021
    Male
    NOCAP
    Beginner
    Swag
    I think the biggest gripe people have is how obvious some of these impacts would have been that were so easily overseen. It’s nice that you guys spend so much time prior to releasing changes but basic oversight such as this just makes it seem like the people who are discussing these changes are borderline incompetent or not discussing the right/proper things. This is not my personal opinion; I’m just sharing what I believe the frustration stems from.

For a lot of people who have been playing this game for a long time and have the most experience/are most impacted by these changes you don’t really need to test the changes to know what’s going to happen because you already have so much experience with the mechanics and what not. I think a lot of the reason why you see so many frustrated players is because the entire staff team consists of casual players who seem relatively clueless and do not have a good fundamental understanding of the intricacies/core mechanics they are changing.

EDIT: I myself am a pretty casual player and am just stating my personal opinion through observation. If I’m way off base feel free to correct me. I’m completely open to new perspective/being told I’m wrong.

• Agree Agree x 10
  14. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    That is the thing though... this whole thing about "so many frustrated players" is a farce, it is just a small vocal minority who just smega everyday about reverting sweeper changes and they all just keep agreeing with each other. I'd like to see the stats on the large number "frustrated" players because I am not seeing a large amount, this doesn't even affect most of the player base.

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    sounds alittle similar to twitter sjws

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I did not participate in the smegas and only saw it happen one time. The entire player base QoL was affected by this change. I don't even have a mage or a sweeper and I am frustrated with this change. Your generalization is unwarranted. If you took time to go through the thread there are quite a lot of people who are bothered for different reasons. Ask people in game if they think the change made the QoL worse or if they think it looks nice with buggy looking mesos all over their screen. Record the data of all the people who say they like it that way and tell me it outweighs the number of people who dislike it.

• Agree Agree x 10
  17. Cowbelle

Cowbelle Mushmom

Jul 11, 2020
    Female
    Cowbelle
    Beginner
    Homies
    i sent too quickly i hope no one saw that pls forgive for the notification
    This is a really good summary of the confusion this balance brought to me. I think at the core, people want to believe that staff has a well thought out plan for all of the changes, and they considered many different options. But to deliberate for months and come up with /this/ seems incredibly odd and out-of-touch. As I trust that BT is competent and has the server's best interests in mind, that's why I feel like more information on why this change was chosen over other options would clear up a lot of the doubt that is brooding due to the hush-hush nature of the bigger picture that keeps getting mentioned. It's like if my boyfriend gave me a penny for my birthday and said "don't worry, something better is coming ;)." It would be hard for me to trust something better is truly coming when I got a penny at the start.

It literally affects every player who parties with another character as you are not able to loot mesos in a party anymore. Plenty of people that don't even have sweepers have thrown in their two cents into this thread and the balance change thread, myself included. I think you are choosing to see the opinions that confirm your biases and ignoring the ones that challenge them.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    1) Smegas have happened more than one time. It happened enough times that it made me temporarily mute smegas (Thank you staff for adding that)

2) "The entire player base QoL was affected by this change" - That is your opinion and now you are making a huge generalization. Take your own advice.

3) Nothing is unwarranted, we have a forum here where everyone is allowed to speak and offer their opinions. But if you want to talk about facts, show me these people that represent a large portion or majority of the playerbase who were using sweeper mules. I won't hold my breathe because it won't happen and even if it did you would find its a very small percent.

4) Depends on the people you are asking. If you are going to ask the vocal minority of sweeper smega spammer brigade that all upvote each other posts and agree with each other with planned out posts in private discords then of course you are going to think everyone agrees with you. There is a bubble outside of that believe it or not.

You can literally apply these words to yourself in regards to confirming biases. I think you said the quiet part out loud. By the same token you are only choosing to see the opinions that confirm what you think about the sweeper mule changes being bad. I party with people all the time and play this game daily and it will literally have zero effect on me. That doesn't mean I have zero empathy for people who created sweeper mules or understand how it will effect them but sweeper mules are just icing on the cake of people who have become spoiled to play the game a certain way, it was never a fundamental part of Maple to begin with. It is just a 1st world problem.

If it bothers you that much that you cant loot mesos in a party anymore then maybe you can add support to the suggestion of having the mesos not appear on other player's screens that dont kill the monster so you dont feel like you are not "sharing" the mesos.

Sidenote : You have to feel pretty good about a server when one of the hot button issues is whether or not the sweeper mule bans are a good thing or not. Speaks highly of how well everything is running on the server. Like I said, 1st world problems.

• Disagree Disagree x 18
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You seem to be the vocal minority here, tbh.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    The forums have never been the majority of the playerbase btw.

• Agree Agree x 8