1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    8:47 AM
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    --------------------------------
    Intro

I'm writing this post in order to start the discussion for the underlying issues mid to end-game players are facing due to the consequences of the recent "balance" changes. Specifically, I'd like to dive deep into the nerf that prevents players from using a secondary character to loot mesos - also known as sweeping.

The reason for this nerf according to the patch notes was to address "the disproportionate demand vs. supply of [CS/WS] scrolls" and "the birth of lots of different strategies that really pushed the rate at which mesos are generated. At the heart of all these strategies were mages and Meso Up mules."

Counter Arguments

Let's begin by addressing the points that are trying to be achieved by this nerf.
    1. Bring meso making rates down to manageable rates

2. Make non-mage meso making strategies feel better (relatively)

3. Eliminate unhealthy gameplay where players were earning disproportionate amount of mesos with minimal movement

4. Discourage mule story

5. Make changes without negatively affecting QoL

Getting rid of sweeper mules isn't making meso rates down to manageable rates but rather creating a greater gap between the players who invest into multi-mages versus the conventional player who doesn't. For example, a player that has 2 well-funded arch-mages selling leech at 5-6 can easily outperform say a bishop selling leech at skeles or any other meta leech seller at ulu2, petris, etc.

Leech prices have lowered significantly over the past year or several months. In my opinion, it's heavily influenced by RWT leech sellers, who drive the leech market down. In order to compensate, people have been driven to rely on alternative approaches to increase their rates, one of which is the utilization of MU mules or sweeper mules. As a result, they're able to sell leech at competitive rates, but also reduce the gap between multi-mage leech selling.

However, with the recent changes to sweepers, many conventional players lose a significant portion of their revenue and are being "forced" to turn to multi-mage tactics such as selling 5-6 leech.

Handicapping a subset of players reduces the alternatives to viable meso making strategies. Many of which are incomparable to selling 5-6 leeches.

"Why would a person farm at a map with a warrior when farming with a mage requires much less effort AND much higher rewards?"

This isn't a very valid argument. Mages are AoE type classes and they are designed to be efficient at farming. Would you use a screw driver to hammer in nails? Let's not compare apples and oranges.

This point seems to be directly targeted at multi-mage farming. But have we considered all the other affected players? Players who are striving towards the endgame - those who sell ulu2, skeles, petris - have all been affected by the change. Not allowing individuals to loot their mesos on an alternate character has greatly diminished one’s ability to make mesos efficiently.

Saying "players were earning a disproportionate amount of mesos with minimal movement" is not very accurate. Conventional leechers are constantly moving and rotating with their mages. By sweeping, they keep their EPH rates high, while keeping their rates competitive.

Now let's look at multi-mage. Multi-mage farming is more difficult than it appears. It requires attention to detail and coordination. Not only this, having four mages, MP washing them, leveling them to 4th job, doing all the quests in order to get your ultimates is very time consuming. There's also a very small player base that multi-mage farm. Although sweepers play a major role in multi-mage farming, removing it severely impacts the meta-leeching player base, which as a whole represents a greater majority.

This change does not only discourage sweepers, but it kills it entirely.

In the patch notes, the change description describes that "Players in Dark Sight or Oak Barrel are no longer able to loot using pets." In my opinion, the changes should have stopped at this point with the following addition:
    • Level restricting characters that can loot in a map based off of exp leeching requirement
    Even without adding this in, removing dark sight/barrel sweeping already creates a barrier to entry because you need to have a high level character who can sweep instead of a lvl 16 character, and if it's not shad/nl you have to spend more time repositioning and spend more money repotting.

This will prevent low level sweeping characters in high level maps which require minimal investment.

I believe the intention of this change was to affect meso farming without negatively impacting the QoL of the game. However there have been several negative effects, and this was explained well by Cowbelle in this post. She highlights the negative effects to QoL for the entire player base, such as making mesos harder to loot, and making items harder to loot in PQ situations.

Also, this affected parties with shads using pickpocket in HT; since the bishop was the only person who could feasibly loot the pickpocket mesos, almost all the meso goes to waste now.

Summary

With the recent changes, players are given very few alternatives to make mesos at a reasonable rate. WS/CS prices will not be greatly affected by this change. This change increases the gap between money making methods like 5-6 leeching and single-mage leeching. As a result, single-mage leechers will take significantly more time to achieve their goals. It's interesting to say, but the only unaffected method is 5-6 leeching.

Although removing sweepers mules discourages multi-mage farming, it severely handicaps the conventional player-base. Reducing the amount of viable "meso-making" strategies without providing any other real alternatives or buffs is encouraging unhealthy gameplay rather than discouraging it.

• Great Work x 28
    • Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    5:47 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    DISCLAIMER: Writing as a player and not as a member of staff

Thank you for your write-up, I see you spent a lot of time on it and I really appreciate it!!

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you consider a "reasonable" rate of mesos? I think that would be good for the discussion moving forward what the playerbase think it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:47 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Its somewhat arbitrary where to draw the line, but I think the ballpark of 10m+/hr can be considered a reasonable rate of progression.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The meso loot change actually does satisfy points 1 to 4. Its just that the single client mage population are the ones who are taking the hit (btw, this is probably the segment of ML population that farms the majority of mesos on ML).

Also, I think its very unfair to include 5-6 dual client mage leech in this discussion since staff is focused on trying to reduce inflation. Selling 5-6 leech removes mesos from circulation, whereas every other method of farming / leeching monsters adds mesos to circulation. At 5-6, you burn more mesos in pots than you bring in from npc equips / meso bags. Mesos earned from selling leech came from other players (not generated) and is also taxed away.

Basically, the loot change will probably achieve lessening inflation, but the players getting "nerfed" are not the multi mage players and the wealth disparity will probably continue to increase.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    9:47 AM
    Cleric
    Taking current WS/CS prices into account, I'd say the sweet spot is a maximum of around 30m/hr. In other words, 6 to 7 hours of farming per scroll. When compared to the amount of real-world currency that can be obtained in 6 to 7 hours of work, it still seems a bit ridiculous, but I think it's a fair foundational compromise.

It's probably also a good idea to collect data regarding meso generation and its impacts on inflation from now on. As it stands, I'm not convinced we have enough evidence to pinpoint excess meso generation as the driving force behind inflation.

This would appear to be corroborated by the fact that the ongoing "inflation" seems to affect WS/CS prices exclusively. Surely people are spending their money on other things too?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. WaffleWafers

WaffleWafers King Slime

Sep 2, 2017
    Thief
  7. nomilk

nomilk Slime

Apr 18, 2019
    NoMilk
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Exactly this, I think combating inflation and lessening the wealth disparity are two independent issues. The multi-client mages can just transition to 5-6 and maintain their generation of mesos while the single client mages suffer disproportionally.

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    TFW attempting to nerf the 1% leads to more harm against the 99% SlimeCrySlimeCrySlimeCry

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    8:47 PM
    the solution that nerfs the 1% and not the other 99% is map changes.
    like removal of safe spots in shaolin, each meta map will need to examined for issues like safe spots for ulti casting and mob respawn locations but understand that this will take time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I agree strongly with cowbelle's post. I personally hate having clutter on the map, and this just causes huge build up of mesos everywhere. You end up missing a lot of drops because you can't see the ground. The pets are all bugged out because they are still trying to loot all the mesos on the ground. They will spend more time trying to pick up the unlootable mesos over my drops. Most of the event drops can't even be seen at all. We have already had some new players mention they have issues looting because it doesn't make sense not to be able to.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    2:47 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    The only thing I see as reasonably for looting with a "sweeper" would be to make it an active player that kills monsters in the map.
    So at least people partying together can loot each other mesos.

The problem we can see with this is that it makes level-gated sweeper meta for endgame mages where they can just get a NL/Shad and just tap kill some mobs while casting ulti with their mages just to keep the meso looting "privilege".

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    If I were to have my way with the changes, it would be in three parts:
    • Reduce the efficacy of % pots on mages to increase the size of the meso sink for mages all around. Ultimates are extremely strong and were initially considered balanced by its high mana spend. In a meta where 30k mp mages are the norm, this mana cost-to-meso generation needs to be reconsidered. It could be done by either increasing the mana cost of ultimates or by decreasing the effectiveness of % pots on mage MP.
    • Slightly reduce the drop rate of mesos for mage ultimates all around. And by slightly I mean very slightly.
    • Stop meso looting in dark sight/barrel, but allow for manual looting from within the party. This will stop people from afk looting on their sweepers by creating more sweepers. Personally, I think manually looting mesos qualifies as good enough effort to justify its reward, which seems to be balance team's point of contention.
    I'm not sure how feasible this is from a coding perspective. I also understand that it's out of balance team's M.O. to roll out with layered implementations in order to resolve one issue since it'll be more difficult to assess impact from causation. However, the slow-rolling of singular, critical implementations seem to be causing more grievances than not, especially in a community where the meta is changing all the time.

Lastly - I think Shaolin 5-6 is still way too over powered. It's setting a standard for exp AND meso accumulation that is negatively impacting all alternatives, and it's further exacerbating the decline of server health by forcing a top-heavy, end-game population.

I think the problem right now is that there really is no clear cut way to define what a "healthy" economy is. White scrolls increasing in price is inevitable without drastically increasing its supply, to which we would have an unhealthy impact of power creep with end-game perfect weapons. Sure, inflation could accelerate the rise of white scroll prices, but surely there are other factors, too? Some people find hoarding white scrolls as a surefire way to increase their future wealth. Does this, too, not increase the price of white scrolls?

In its current state, the best time to buy white scrolls is during events when supply is at its highest, and the best time to sell a white scroll is never.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  13. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    9:47 AM
    Cleric
    "Mage privilege" actually has a nice, memeable ring to it. Next we'll be talking about "toxic wizardry" and "all mages are bastards".

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Does anyone know how each meso-farming strat was impacted? For example what is ulu2/skele meso/hr compared with quad mage ulu1?

You claim this, and I don't doubt it, but can someone please provide evidence.

I think the typical single mage farmer still has a lot of 8-10m/hr strategies available to them. Only the leech-sellers cannot optimally loot while maintaining optimal eph, but I doubt this nerfs ulu2/skele THAT much. Leech sellers can just make the new normal eph one that includes mage self-looting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:47 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Ulu2 is virtually unaffected if you are just farming the map. If you are selling leech however, you incure a loss of ~2m/hr because your leechers will get a portion of the meso leech.

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's not as linear as you would think since the best leech spot at the moment doesn't even take into consideration meso looting. These changes basically funnel everybody into 5-6, which was initially kind of balanced because we'd be limited to 8 maps in any given moment of the day. With dungeons, that number is now 16.

Potentially, we could have 16 leechers leeching 48 future attackers (80, if mage buffs open possibilities as future bossers) into bossing levels at a rate of 35m+ eph. For the record, two full Zakum fights at lvl 135 wouldn't even compare to 1 hour of leech at 5-6. Idk how anybody can see this as healthy.

17. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I'm not sure why each successive nerf to 5-6F only makes the safe spots marginally more annoying to use. Just get rid of it completely. Don't allow leeching at 5-6F.

I think a big problem with balancing these maps is that the best eph maps are also the ones with the best meso generation (ulu2, skele). There's really no reason ulu2 should drop craven when other lvl 80-90 mobs don't. Similarly, why give skeles this insane drop table? 5-6F is actually great in this regard. Make it a meso-sink if you want to train there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    2:47 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Imagine being in mid 2021 and still selling leech / actively wanting to sell leech [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    On a broader scope, I also have an issue with the lack of transparency around communication of such large meta-shifting changes. There's never any warning associated with these and hurts players trying to build up the foundation to take advantage of optimal strategies. Making multiple mages is extremely time and resource intensive, and the fact that this change was rolled out without warning disproportionately hurts players that were in progress of making these characters for the purpose of farming, as their new characters are new useless after weeks of leveling and hundreds of millions of mesos in lost leech and equipment expenses. This makes it difficult to plan one's journey of farming mesos/improving equips in the end game as any strategy you work toward can be nerfed or changed significantly with no notice. Established players with a variety of mules and funds have the ability to adapt to most new metas, so this mostly hurts newer players as they approach the end game stage. It would be great if discussion threads like these with staff input could be done before the fact rather than after.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    First rule of maplelegends, if you can't duplicate degenerate farming strat in <1month, it'll get nerfed before you try it. Also I don' think this was a direct nerf to multi-mage farming, as it's probably still better than most strats, just not as degenerate as before.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2