1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Key to enjoying the game and not feeling frustrated, ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CDFA, May 14, 2015.

1. VonBIT

VonBIT Pac Pinky

Dec 22, 2014
    4:03 AM
    Sharkbait
    Islander
    Enjoy life away from the computer screen.

• Like Like x 2
  2. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    1:03 AM
    I met my boyfriend online playing this game. We now live together in a successful and happy relationship. Good things can come out of being a player in an online game, and more importantly part of that community.

It's honestly not complicated. Just be a decent, responsible human being. It isn't easy, but it is simple.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    9:03 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    1. Your situation is rare as hell if you put it vs the people that doesn't happen too. I am happy for you, good job.

2. This is the internet, people shouldn't be expecting what you just said wasn't complicated. I personally wish it was like that, but its not :/ -in short, ITS FUCKED-

4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    2:03 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    "Friends" that fuck you over when you trust them aren't really friends at all. Keep in mind, this can even happen in real life too. But I do have an interesting theory because this online backstabbing seems to happen a lot, right? Maybe it's because the people who do it see no value in the relationships they form (or could have formed) and don't care about others simply because they are online.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    To be quite honest... it is online, expect it.. if you can;'t see them face to face don't believe a word people say.

Its like being in court and not giving hard evidence, thats how I see online people... Just take everything they say with a pinch of salt and move on gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    2:03 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    You can still lie in real life. It's usually just harder.

7. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    Which is why people lie here, its easier. Don't expect people do choose the hard route of lying irl, when they can make gainz online doing it xD

that's why its fucked up on the internet, shits easy because their are so many gullible people willing to trust people from word of mouth. = Scammed people!

8. Reptar

Reptar Timer

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    California
    Reptar
    I/L Wizard
    Horizon
    I also met my gf online and take the train to see her often. Finding a gf/bf really isn't hard. I'm not even the best looking guy and I somehow pull it off. The only people who seem to have trouble are the pessimistic ones.

9. driverdown

driverdown Orange Mushroom

Apr 18, 2015
    Female
    nowhere
    3:03 AM
    Falling
    Ranger
    buttstuff
    I'm pretty pessimistic myself and yet i met my bf (now ex) on gms. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    I met my bf of almost a year through Maple. I have fallen in love with him and his daughter. I am now 800 miles from my family and birthplace with him.

But in the end I am 100% with the OP.

Yes some games are addictive. Literally producing the same chemicals in the brain such as dopamine as a drug addict during a high. This is why moderation is important.

Trust me. I know. This is also why I am the way I am. I'll enter a more personal story that I haven't told anyone, and never planned to. The reason I leave for two three days at a time is because I have severe epilepsy that started in my teens. I was addicted to games. Literally. As a kid. Still am. Always will be.

I would get into something and I stay up for too long. Forget to eat. Don't sleep. Don't drink. But after I started having seizures I had to stop. I had to make myself stop because staying up late, not eating, drinking was literally killing me. I had a severe status epilepticus attack about a year ago that scared the ever loving shit out of me. It was during a 24 hour grindfest for ip in league. I was literally seizing for 2 hours.

Obviously this is a bit of a more extreme case than mos people. But it still applies. This isn't meant to be some sap shit story. A lot of people have crap like this and it is a part of life. I still game and I love it. But there is a point where a boundary has to be made between pleasure and health.

I accidentally posted on iPhone before this was done so I made edits. But whatever. tl:dr. Moderate your game play. Keep a bottle of water at your desk. Take literally a 15-30 minute break every now and then.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  11. OP
    OP
    CDFA

CDFA Second Account/Banned

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    10:03 AM
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    Yeah, I can feel the pain you've had to go through because of a GAME. You see, the problem is that some people forget even just that simple fact - that its a game, and is meant to be enjoyed, not played in times where you are supposed to be taking care of other important things in your life. So, thats why I say, play games only during a time when you have nothing else important to do in your life, in your "free time" when you can really allow yourself to play and that it wont be somehow ruining your life in any way. I can understand that during a younger age, like say 10-18, children at this age often do not understand this simple fact and tend to give up on school/homework and other important things just to play the game. This can be stopped depending on their parents, and how much power or control their parents have over their children. The thing is, my own parents had simply no power to stop me from doing wehat I was doing - playing Maple for up to 8 hours a day and giving up on high school and stay at home most of the day. I was a child who didnt know that I will someday pay for what I am doing - playing a game instead of focusing on my studies. But if you are an older, 20+ person reading this, then your brain must be more developed to understand when to play and when not to play a game, and to make sure that things like job, sleeping, and education are way more important than this game. :)

12. driverdown

driverdown Orange Mushroom

Apr 18, 2015
    Female
    nowhere
    Falling
    Ranger
    buttstuff
    I'm epileptic too :p but its not bad..it's controlled with meds. I don't even have em anymore, tho i get dizzy spells alot OnionConfusedmakes my memory go blank for that bit. Last time i had a seizure was a few years ago. :D I still play ms all day tho...lolol but i keep a drink by me and take breaks. :p

13. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    @driverdown Mine are severe. AT LEAST once a week. My meds don't help as much as I would like, and I'm too small to increase the dosages. I look like a drunk in walmart :D

LOL I'll go ahead and tell you it that it doesn't always work that way. I've had programs placed on my PC when I was a kid that made the computer hard-shut down after x amount of hours of gameplay. I got around it in my pre-adolescent years. If a kid wants something, they'll find a way.

I regret most of all when I was younger the times I spent on the PC rather than with my family. Those times, obviously, cannot be gotten back. It's water under the bridge though and I understand that. But I've had good times on the PC as well and have met a lot of good, long-term friends. Real friends. Not acquaintances and chat buddies. I've put faces to the names (or usernames). But there's a time for everything and a moderation respectfully.

But you have to consider everyone's situation is different. Most people are like: omg I'd love to sit at home and do nothing but play video games all day, but I gotta go to college, oh I got a job, etc. Some people don't even have that luxury. Trust me. I'd rather be out with a job and be able to drive and shit. But it's not a possibility. Do I want to stay home and play games and watch TV and read all day? No. It's boring as fuck. But can I hold a job for more than a week? No. Can I legally drive? No. To those who think staying home all day would be the best shit ever. It's not. I have 200+ games at my disposal and I'm bored 90% of the time.

I would also love to start college again. Even missing 30-40 days in my last two highschool years I managed A's and a top score in my county (89) with a national average of 60. People think I'm lazy/stupid for dropping out of college. But when you miss a week of class every month, what can you expect.

I should just stream for a living. GG. What you guys think. sarcasm smells funny.

14. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    friends who betray you intentionally aren't friends. so any real online friend is gud~

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    CDFA

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    I agree with the point you're trying to make. It really depends on the situation that you are in during your childhood/teenage years, and it also depends on how interested you are in your surroundings. It also depends on how social you are - I for example was a very anti-social kind of person during my teenage years and I didnt make a lot of friends. So, I wasnt the kind of guy to go outside and hang out with friends. I found the high school studies to be boring and found it hard to concentrate. So, yes, it depends on many things, but it also depends on the parents because you stay under their roof for most of your pre-adult life. If you have parents who deeply care about you or how you're doing, they would probably not allow you to sit in front of the computer all day or for a very long time. So, its complicated, and depends on many, many things, but the overall conclusion is that the earlier you realize that its a game and that you should focus on your life more than focusing on the game, the faster you become a responsible person yourself. And everyone becomes a responsible adult themselves at some point, the only difference is that how long it takes. Some could even reach 30 years old and only become a responsible adult by then. And I'm sure you could agree with me that becoming a responsible adult at age 30 is very late. Its supposed to happen at age 18-21 in most of the cases. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    I feel like this thread got a little bit off topic

• Like Like x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    CDFA

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    I'd like to sharpen the point NSFW was trying to make, and it is also something I really agree with. From what I understdoo from what he was saying, his point is that you simply cannot rely on online friends you meet in games and expect things to remain friendly between you and them. The thing is, and its very important to realize this - you cannot tell for sure who it is you are dealing with when you both met through an online game, or the internet in general. Most people who become friends here are from different countries, aor even the same country, they are still only seeing each other in a game, not in eye to eye kind of thing. It makes more sense to refer to these kind of friends as virtual friends, because thats really what they are, and you should always put your irl friends in a priority over virtual ones. I do hear stories of people who became truly good friends from the internet and met in person one day, and thats awesome. That being said, nobody should live in an illusion that you can somehow consider your virtual friends as true friends. A true friend is someone you meet and talk to nearly everyday, with full physical contact. And that, I'm afraid to say, is not the case with virtual friends except in extreme cases where the two of you got to meet each other in the real life. And again like I said, that is awesome but is an extremely rare kind of thing. And if you really wanna make true friends, then go outside or to the workplace/school or wherever you go to everyday, and start conversations with co-workers/costudents. No need an online game for that, and generally people need to let virtual friends stay virtual, except in extremely rare cases. Travis is an example of an extremely rare case. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    my whole point can be summed up in just that one word cdfa