1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Not a Bug Legendary Spirit white scroll bug

Discussion in 'Report Bugs' started by imNat, Apr 22, 2023.

1. imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    12:22 PM
    Natmare
    Description of the bug: (optional screenshot/video): I used legendary spirit to white scroll, 8 times for claw for att 10% my Timeless Lampion
    Before:
    upload_2023-4-22_13-1-40.png
    After:
    upload_2023-4-22_12-50-44.png
    After using 8 ws, 8 claw for att 10% as evident by this chat:
    upload_2023-4-22_12-46-52.png
    However, it used 7 ws for 8 claw for att 10% and now i'm left with one slot less than before.
    What is supposed to happen?: clicked yes for white scroll 8 times for 8, claw for att 10%, and it should use 8ws.
    Where did you find and/or notice this bug?: I noticed it by looking at my claw and saw 1 scroll slot less than before i started.
    A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional):
    Extra information (optional): Witnesses: Espion, Flamous, Aphelios and Noctua.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    That message is client sided and appears if you change the white scroll box during the animation

3. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    Hello Dennis,

We've checked the logs and it appears there was no white scroll used on the first attempt. This one should still be in your inventory. It is possible you have accidentally unticked the box for using the white scroll or otherwise triggered it to not use a white scroll. Unfortunatly the message in chat does glitch as a result of that and thus causes confusion. Regardless, investigation has shown it is not the result of a bug, therefore we cannot refund the lost slot.

4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:22 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    wait but isnt that a bug

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    The chatmessage is a glitch unrelated to wether a white scroll was used or not so in a way you could call that part a bug. The whitescroll not having be used is playersided and was found not to be a bug.

6. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    Hello again,

I am appealing the decision to not issue a refund.

While I understand your point that the chat message appearing is a glitch, I believe it is important to address the issue/bug of being able to tick/untick the box while the animation is in progress. As you pointed out, this was an accidental occurrence and it is clear that the intention was to use a WS with a 10% scroll. Unfortunately, this glitch has resulted in a loss of several months, if not a year, of progression which could have been avoided if the "tick/untick box" feature wasn't present. It is important to emphasize that, in this case, the intention to use a WS is clear and obvious.

To provide a real-world example, suppose a person signs a contract to buy a house, but later discovers that the seller misrepresented the condition of the house. According to the legal theory of mistake, the buyer may be entitled to rescind the contract and recover any money paid if the misrepresentation influenced their decision to enter into the contract.

Similarly, in the game, the player (in this case, me) was prompted to use a white scroll and selected "YES" thinking it would use a WS. However, due to a misleading feature while the animation was going on, it did not use a WS, resulting in a loss of billions of mesos (several months of progression). The player was deceived into thinking they were using a WS, and thus, a refund should be justified.

Bottom line, it is not reassuring that such a feature exists, as it can cause progression loss for other players in the future.

7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I think you misunderstood what they meant, ticking or unticking the box ONLY changes the text string that will be sent out in your chat when using the WS-prompt. It has no effect at all on whether or not a WS is used. You must have pressed NO on this WS-prompt while trying to WS.
    [​IMG]

After that you can, during the animation still tick/un-tick the box but it doesn't have any affect on the scrolling whatsoever.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    Thanks for being clear here Nightz, but it still does not clear up the fact that the intention of using a white scroll was clear and obvious in this case.

9. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    If you failed to press Yes and instead pressed No, then I'm afraid that the intention of using a WS was not clear for the game. And as unfortunate as it may be for you now, it has never been refunded in similar cases and I don't think it'll be any different for you.

10. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    7:22 AM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    I’m sorry that happened.

Next time, i recommend you desactive WS prompt on Legends.ini. Then, use Legendary Skill + ws box ticked. Make sure you have the same number of Ws and especific 10% scroll in your inventory.

As it has already been debated in other posts, new Ws prompt brings more buttons and unnecessary complication to the process and consequently highers the change of failing to use Ws in an important item. The prompt, however, dimish the chance of losing a white scroll after wrongly using it on a random item.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  11. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    I have three questions:

1. Are we certain that ticking/unticking the box during the animation doesn't have any functional impact, both in live time and in logs?
    2. I am positive that I pressed "YES" when the prompt came up. However, how can we ensure that the logs are accurate when this glitch is now a factor?
    3. I understand that decisions on appeals are challenging and are meant to deal with cheaters. However, the world is not always black and white and needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. In this situation, it is evident that the intention was clear and obvious - a WS was used with a 10% scroll. Therefore, why isn't there more transparency about case-by-case decisions?

12. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    As this is something I have personally tested when I first saw the text string bug, yes I'm certain that ticking/unticking the box during animation does not have any functional impact. This should answer your first two questions, as for your last question I am not really in a position to give you an answer you are looking for but was just speaking from experience.
    Perhaps you can show a video of you actually pressing Yes on the WS-prompt 8 out of 8 times and I'm sure if that's proven then staff could potentially help you further

13. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    While there is no video evidence of me pressing "YES" on the WS prompt eight out of eight times, there are text logs of me stating that I intended to WS10 eight times. Therefore, the intention is clear.

Furthermore, in a court of law, a person's personality and character can also be taken into account when making a final decision. Similarly, when such appeals are taken place, this should also be considered. In this particular case, the player (me) has been playing this game for 2-3 years, and has never been in a similar situation or had any bad intentions evidently. The track record as a player can also be taken into consideration when making a decision.

I understand that the system is designed to take a hard stance against cheaters. However, in situations where there are legitimate grounds for being unintended, there should be reconsiderations in decisions. This is especially important when we are talking about several months or even years of progression.

14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:22 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I think at the very least he should be refunded his other 7 ws as he was misled after the text bug

• Agree Agree x 9
  15. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    The ws checkbox is completely ignored when the user has the White Scroll prompt active. The chat text however is directly linked to the box state, regardless of the situation. It might get properly polished in the future, but as it's only a line of text with no repercussions on the actual scrolling, it's very behind in the queue of to-dos.

The prompt itself simply replaces what would have been the checkbox options when it comes to data sent to the server ("yes" = checkbox ticked; "no" = checkbox unticked), it does not add logic that could result in bugs.
    The only not immediate (although still not unintended) behavior is that of spacebar, which triggers the button currently focused (which can be changed via Tab button, although it has no visual cues). This so happens to be the No button, which has caused unintended ws usage in the past. Speaking of which, spacebar will default to Cancel, from the upcoming patch.

As for the current thread, unfortunately the issue is not the intention, but the result not coming from a bug, which would be the only case eligible for a refund. We cannot revert the item if the cause is user error, as it would both be inconsistent with our past behavior, and would set a precedent for every future scrolling.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    3:22 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    I am willing to compromise with compensation of WS, if the first white scrolling in the session was the incident.

18. OP
    OP
    imNat

imNat Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Natmare
    Hello again staff,

It has been nearly a month since the incident occurred, and I would appreciate knowing if there is a possibility of refunding the 7 WS following the misleading text bug at the first WS that caused me to use 7 additional WS?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    #Justice4Dennis

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Nightz