1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Align bucc's AP formula

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by brunandes, Sep 13, 2023.

1. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    5:45 AM
    Hi, I'm not gonna wade into discussing how OP bucc is as done in the other thread https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/buccaneer-nerf-when.51192/.

This is purely to address one new thing I learned from there: that buccs gain avoidability when adding STR due to a custom change in this server.

Firstly, I think this is extremely unintuitive and goes against the core game design. Everyone who played maple in the past knows that
    STR - physical dmg
    INT - magical dmg
    DEX - accuracy
    LUK - avoidability

Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, this change is also not mentioned anywhere in-game. So players will not know about this unless they dig through forums, which a vast majority don't.

Lastly, I think this is very unfair to other classes like warriors who adds the same AP. In my opinion, the class that really could benefit from avoid is actually dark knight.

I would like to suggest that the formulas be aligned by either:
    1. Giving warrior STR (and heck, beginner STR) and mages INT the same treatment of avoid formula.
    2. Make bucc follow the general formula.

I personally will prefer option 2 since I prefer to stick to the intuitive characterstics mentioned in my first point.
    For current buccs, I doubt it will destroy the class given that they mostly avoid damage through iframes anyway. This will at most be a nerf to bucc mules.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    2:45 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Is Archer gaining avoid from dex a custom change?

3. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Nope i believe its vanilla.

4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Oh huh. Does the Dex - accuracy thing still hold up in that case?

5. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Dex - main accuracy, small avoidability
    Luk - main avoidability, small accuracy
    Been this way in maplestory since the start.

Speaking of which, if we want to align avoid from strength, archers are affected too since they add abit of strength. Forgot abt this in my main post.

6. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    5:45 PM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    I believe this change was so normal bucc builds could still have about the same amount of avoid as they would have had prior to the change and no one can abuse the vanilla formula to get 999 avoid. I think that giving everyone an avoid buff is a terrible idea because it ruins the uniqueness of classes and will make the game more unbalanced.

Also as a side note if you want avoid on a mage just add luk (and get to wear cool gears too :D)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:45 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    The difference in avoid between a lukless mage and a mage that has enough luk to wear timeless is next to nothing btw, this is the same as saying if you want avoid on a DK just go add luk

8. Cornwall

Cornwall Master Chronos

Dec 11, 2020
    Male
    Cornsair
    Corsair
    Pasta
    It does as accuracy is the main stat gained. And it isnt the point driven across by OP, since in any comparison, Buccs wouldnt add insane amounts of Dex in a natural build just to get more avoid. (Edit: when I say natural build im referring to the main issue why avoid was transferred to STR for buccs, which was people muling the class by making dex buccs. The move was intended to incentivize people to main buccs.)

But to each their own.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  9. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    6:45 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    This is not really true because vanilla bucc gets lots of avoid from dex, do you want to be vanilla just for the sake of being vanilla?
    If so just revert to where buccs get avoid only from dex and we go back to the 999 avoid dex bucc mule era

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Reverted to vanilla bucc dex formula is not aligning. Im saying bucc should get the STR and DEX formula of every other class, if that is not clear in the original post.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Cornwall

Cornwall Master Chronos

Dec 11, 2020
    Male
    Cornsair
    Corsair
    Pasta
    It's not lots since it wasn't their main stat. Take an example of Gurk's level 150 bucc on DPM formula compilation page 3, the current formula provided about 15% more avoid on base stats alone (I'm guessing this value changes as levels increase).

On the other hand, I would say the dex bucc argument is only half valid. People weren't playing bucc not because they could just mule it. I would dare to argue people were not playing bucc because they were ignorant to its potential (as it has been shown that the true DPM buccs came later on 2021+).

If anything, its change was most impactful in removing dex bucc mules from the scene, but to say people started maining them BECAUSE of the change, I would say it wasn't as significant. Especially taking into account that now they are even more needed for content (PB).

12. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    A simple calculation shows that a normal build bucc gets more than before no?
    Lets just say a normal bucc has 1000 str and 100 dex for illustration.
    Before: 1000*0 + 100*1.5=150
    After: 1000*0.225 + 100*0.25=250
    More of a sneaky buff than a compensation?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    6:45 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    Yeah it's really not clear because you mention multiple things that leads to misinformation. What you're asking then is a new custom formula to nerf buccs avoid and not really looking for "fairness between classes" since buccs always had a special avoid treatment being it on dex or str.

I meant "lots" because it was like 1.5:1 avoid:dex instead of 0.25:1 that it is now, that the OP seemed to be unaware of;
    But yeah when I mention the 999 avoid buccs I don't think they will replace main buccs, it's just that it seems better if they continue not existing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cornwall

Cornwall Master Chronos

Dec 11, 2020
    Male
    Cornsair
    Corsair
    Pasta
    While I agree that the scene is better without dex buccs, I think in the effort of aligning these stats a small buff was given to buccs. OP's point is that these small buff never should have existed in the first place as the class seems overwhelmed with good deeds from buffs. Just realign the formula to reduce it to something more aligned with its natural state previous to the change.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Unless there is another general formula that all jobs follow, I'm not sure how it is unclear.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    4:45 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    upload_2023-9-13_9-18-24.png

from here

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    12:45 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Seems like pirates never followed the "traditional" avoid formula (source: ayumilove )
    [​IMG]
    ML specific changes seem to give an edge for late game buccs as well as generally buffed corsair avoid formula.

Gunslinger avoid is DEX = 0.225 + LUK = 0.5

If you're asking for all classes to follow the DEX = 0.25 + LUK 0.5 you're looking to buff corsairs, which is better than NL from what it seems. I get the hate on buccs as of late, they're over-tuned but changing their avoid formula is probably not the way to go about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Oh man why are pirates so weird.

But regardless, avoid from STR goes totally against the conventional property of the AP. Although the vanilla formula is quite busted, even Neckson did not go against this property.

To me this is a slippery slope. If we are breaking such a convention, why stop there? Warriors and mages could really do with some avoidability in bosses. Why don't give the 0.225 avoid per main stat to every non-thief class?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    I think even changing their avoid formula wont make much of a difference, between 200 or 100. its the iframe from the attacks that dodge the hits.

20. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Not really related to the overall discussion per se, but just wanted to point out that the sair avoid formula is still the same as the original, i.e. DEX * 0.125 + LUK * 0.5. It is not buffed to DEX * 0.225 + LUK * 0.5.

Standardizing avoid gains from DEX across all classes would be a huge buff to sairs.

• Agree Agree x 1