1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Revamp Enrage into Party IED

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gurk, Oct 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    3:28 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Giving Enrage party utility is hardly a novel idea and is something that has been suggested on numerous occasions already, but it is one I quite like so I'm going to go ahead and beat that dead horse anyways.

With the relatively recent hero buffs (i.e. panic change), I'd argue that hero single target DPM is in a fine enough spot. However, passable dpm plus very niche utility alone does not a good bosser make. They're underwhelming in end game HT and PB squads and almost entirely outclassed by paladins at NT, which largely relegates their niche to CWK. I'd like to advocate for a push towards expanding the party utility of heroes in an effort to make them more appealing for content that is typically run with full or close to full parties.

My suggestion is to have Enrage offer IED (ignore enemy defense) in place of an attack boost to both caster and party members. IED is a buff that was originally given to shadowers in the 2022 anniversary patch but it is one that I think heroes could make much better use of. Now why IED of all things? Because it works alongside premium attack pots/buffs and as such isn't made entirely moot at PB by apples or at HT by HT buff, because it does away with the pesky issue of overwriting cider/rage, because it also benefits mages, because the current buff masking system doesn't allow for any stacking of buffs (i.e. +x% attack or +x% stat doesn't work with echo or mw), and because it already exists and wouldn't require additional work to code. I'll give an example below as to how this revamped Enrage could look.

Presently, enrage gives +26 att with a 66.67% uptime, which in conjunction with cider translates to a net 4 att over pure cider. For an end game hero with perfect gears, this might translate roughly to just under a 2% damage boost. As I don't think heroes need a buff to their single target damage, I'd like to keep the benefit of Enrage's IED largely the same if possible. Additionally, to keep Enrage from being trivially muled and to also keep gameplay on the engaging side, I'd like to have this new Enrage party buff be one with a rather short duration (but not too short so as to be a detriment to self to routinely cast), say 20 seconds or so. With the above constraints, we're looking for a buff that would yield a net 2% damage boost while lasting only about 20 seconds. As a side remark, the undispellable status of Enrage could also be removed if desirable so it's not always a mindless cast off cooldown.

If we were to simply do a one-to-one copy of shad's 80% IED, which roughly translates to a 10% damage boost for an end game shad at bosses with 1700 def (e.g. Auf/PB body) according to the given chart, and extrapolated its benefit to other attackers by assuming that the boost would be roughly the same for others (an erroneous assumption since those with smaller ranges, i.e. ranged, would benefit more), then it would necessitate an uptime of about 20%, i.e. it should have a cooldown of about 100 seconds if the buff is to last 20 seconds.

This revamped Enrage that offers 80% IED for 20 seconds every 100 seconds is just one example of the shape that Enrage could take on and it would ultimately and ideally function as a slightly weaker echo that stacks (and a significantly stronger one at a boss like Toad). I like to liken it to something of a rallying call for heroes, which feels thematic for the class (for whatever that's worth). Its benefit would be somewhat slight for parties of 2-3 but would shine more in parties of 5-6, which would ideally make the class more appealing for big boss runs such as HT and PB while also carving out a greater distinction between heroes and pallies at Auf, making hero a more well-rounded class. You might even say that heroes would be a jack of all trades.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  2. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:28 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
  3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    While this thematically sounds nice I'd imagine it's overall unimpactful enough for people to still seriously consider taking a Hero over something like a Bucc, which also provides a small DPM increase as well as additional utility through Time Leap, in content like Toad or PB. It's a good starting place if the class is indeed intended to have a new direction but I think Heroes are in need of desperately more help than this to become meta relevant.

4. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    It's unfortunate that this thread has devolved into a train wreck.

• Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    6:28 AM
    IED at HT and PB would make heroes overpowered. Current WDEF values for HT and PB are 1500. That translates to a reduction of 1500 range from any attackers. This reduction could be 20% to 5% to a NL on apple.

Note that pallies have a similar skill, Threaten, which reduces enemy WDEF by a flat value.

6. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    cant agree more. heroes are a sandwiched class between pallies and drks.

7. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    It would be a bigger buff for ranged attackers but I think that actually works out nicely with the RangedStory in HT and PB and it allows hero's individual power level to remain the same while being able to have a larger impact on others. I don't think it'd be overpowered at all since even a 15% damage increase for an NL in HT would translate to an overall net increase of 3% after factoring in the 20% uptime of the hypothetical Enrage. Heroes would be amazing at Toad and BGA though (assuming party members aren't buccs who have their own IED already), which would be a cute niche.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    6:28 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    #giveHerosAPurpose

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    1:28 AM
    Endorphins
    Hello hero main here
    I'm looking for someone to finally explain to me why heros need any other changes.
    Besides PB, hero is a very good class in almost all content. Now with the def buff added to NT bosses the class also have a party utility.
    Heros that have good gear and utilize the panic changes can deal decent damage.
    Besides pb, i honestly can only think heros "struggle" in nameless because ranged can die in 1shot. Still very doable pin that needs focus (and aggro bugs fixes).

If you ask me, the only change heros need is a change to the duration of orbs buff, and maybe shorten the cast time of armor crush. Orb buffs has 200 second duration (meanwhile theres a first job skill lasting 300 sec), its dpable and its the main source of dmg for the class
    Armor crush takes a lot of time to cast, and while many bosses got deff buff these days which makes hero have a pt utility, its also backfires because the class loses alot of dpm casting armor crush.

Please don't overtune heros from the already good state its in right now cant keep judging classes over a single boss

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I wonder if Enrage could be made into a unique defensive skill that protects your party members from getting dispelled. No other class has a support skill like that, but it would come clutch in some pretty niche situations. While guised as a defensive skill for mages and shads, it'd also be a DPM boost for your entire party since they wouldn't have to stop attacking to rebuff. It'd make for some interesting optimization plays in basically every fight that has frequent dispels (HT, Auf, PB).

I'm guessing coding this would be a nightmare, but it would be really cool and I'd love running content with a skilled Hero that uses Enrage well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    modern maple has evolved pally into defensive class while hero as offensive class for meelee. maybe the ^ could be more aligned to pallies.

12. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    4:28 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Cool enough idea honestly, if it only lasted 20 seconds~ it would require a skilled and attentive hero to read animations and give the sweat's a chance to really shine as an important member within a party, since they would have to use the skill right as the animation hits in HT for example.

13. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    The name of enrage needs to be changed if you do this. Something like this makes more sense to be an archmage skill. Seal???

14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Nope. I think it being on Hero is perfectly fine. Name could be changed, but I don't see a need for it - just need to alter the description to make it make sense. Maybe Rally or something so that it showcases the party-oriented aspect of the skill.

Being able to dodge dispels well goes directly to the benefit of the Hero class because they're riddled with rebuffing woes. Combo, booster, stance, power guard, rage, MW.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    Before we further change a class's skill, I think it's well deserved to re-visit hero's orbs as mentioned above, with the addition of coma and panic. I recall a similar post on a hero's thread somewhere as well.

Here are some considerations:
    - Panic consumes 5 > 3 orbs.
    - Panic damage 350% > 355% or so.
    - Coma now stuns boss summoned super mob (dark wyvern, mini beans).
    - and maybe Recharge 2 combo counter success rate 75% > 85%

More fine tuning might be necessary but the rough idea is to minimize orb charging dpm downtime and better reward when orbs are consumed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  16. abe27342

abe27342 Orange Mushroom

Mar 14, 2020
    Male
    Hero
    Flat damage reduction from defense applies after the percent damage reduction from pb, meaning defense on pb is a comparable % reduction to bosses with 3.4k wdef rather than 1.7k.

but i agree, and let's make it 100% uptime as well. #makeherogreat

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:28 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    and how about if the combo wasn't removed on dispel?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. abe27342

abe27342 Orange Mushroom

Mar 14, 2020
    Male
    Hero
    In all seriousness, I think the impact of weapon defense is a bit underappreciated by the general community--for example the formula commonly used for dpm efficiency (just take ratio of dpm to dummy dpm) is still biased toward players with stronger gear. If rage stacked with attack pots, do you think that might make them meta-relevant? I think the upper limits of this suggestion (100% uptime, 100% IED, ignoring bits about how you make this engaging rather than another mule you have to make) are closer to that than something like threaten. It's a neat idea.

19. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    while i do think this might be another alternative, whether certain skills should be able to dodge dispel is up for debate while I feel this change being not as meaningful in non-dp scenarios.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Hm, I suppose you’re right in that it would be impactful, but it wouldn’t fix the biggest issue Heroes have right now. This would give an incentive to bring Hero to content, but little additional incentive to actually play the Hero itself. Heroes and Dark Knights would end up in the same position where they are desired but nobody actually wants to play them, I think, assuming the change was large enough in magnitude that Heroes actually become competitive with other classes.