1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapowner is not friendly to single-client players

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kirisame, Mar 15, 2024.

1. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    10:16 AM
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    Would be an improvement

2. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    thanks I always knew I was a great staff member

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    You were a great staff member when you were staff?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carousel

Carousel Slime

Nov 27, 2021
    4:16 AM
    Kyou
    Make a friend and ask them to hold it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. soft

soft Mano

Jan 18, 2024
    Female
    soft
    Bishop
    bunny
    As a relatively new player, I like the mapowner system as it currently is. I've been leaving popularly contested maps such as skeles to turn in the 888 quest while fully understanding that the map could very well be taken by someone else in the meantime. It makes complete sense for there to be risk of losing ownership of a map if you're going to leave it.

The idea of still having to check map ownership upon entering an empty map feels as though it's overcomplicating a simple situation.

No offense, but it's unproductive to compare a PS to modern maple and to expect the same results. To put things into perspective, you're comparing a multimillion dollar company with over 7,000 employees to a small group of people who work on the server in their free time. There's a reason as to why players are more critical of modern maple while showing more leniency to PS staff who are essentially unpaid hobbyists.

If you check the patch notes for each update, there certainly is a decent amount of fixes and implementations for just a couple of people contributing. It's a thankless job, it helps to show some patience and support.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  6. rctycoon7630

rctycoon7630 Mano

Jan 28, 2024
    as someone that spent lvl 60~70 at coolie zombies in gms, I thought the map ownership mechanism in this server works very well. if you leave a map, you give up ownership and do not deserve it, period. it's all public space in a way, and there has to be some sort of system to keep order.

7. Munk7

Munk7 Orange Mushroom

Feb 15, 2024
    Male
    3:16 AM
    Page, Cleric, Thief
    I'm not expecting the same results. When I joined Legends, I expected 0.62 Maple. Or at least, 0.62 Maple with some QoL improvements. Instead I encountered some disappointments, but Legends is still about as fun as modern Maple. It's neck and neck for me as to which one is better. That says a lot.

The fixes and implementations you mention are a mixed bag. Not fixing the AP bugs that make washing required? Bad. Not balancing skills and equipment? Bad. Adding extra content from later versions? Ok I guess. Adding Chinese New Year event? Why not implement suggestions that the community is overwhelmingly in favor of instead?

Mapowner isn't 0.62 Maple. It's Legends Maple. Mods have changed the 0.62 version a lot on this server. But the changes turn some people away. I understand that each person likes different things. In Legends, multiclienting, mules, AFK, and map hogging is strongly encouraged. Partying isn't. Legends is fine if you enjoy those things, but most people don't.

I understand that this is a volunteer effort, but this is literally a forum asking for suggestions. I can be critical of the server, anyone can. It doesn't mean I'm being a jerk. And I'm 100% sure mapowner is here to stay, just like washing. Some things seem so ingrained into the server that it will never change. When I say it won't change, it's not because I'm being a jerk, it's because it won't change. So suggestions like these should just go straight to the "Rejected" pile and save us a lot of time. Along with the "Quest Ring" thread, "Make Axes Viable Again", and lots of others.

There are too many suggestions already. Mods have their hands full with HP challenges. Why not let more people on the team?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. soft

soft Mano

Jan 18, 2024
    Female
    soft
    Bishop
    bunny
    Respectfully no, I don't think you do fully understand that--considering you're calling features and events that others do enjoy "bad" and speaking solely from your personal opinion on them. I quite like the custom content of the server and can see why it's been prioritized, especially with holiday events being (self-explanatory) time sensitive.

I never said you can't criticize the server at all or that you're "being a jerk," but it's somewhat telling that you had that idea already in mind. My point being is that you're not always providing criticism in a constructive and respectful manner. I only replied because some of your posts and messages on this forum have honestly been generally repetitive and overly pessimistic to read. If that's how a random player feels, I can't imagine how demanding and entitled you must sound to the staff.

Your biggest complaint is that partying isn't encouraged, but that's purely a personalized experience that you specifically want. Many players such as myself prefer to play independently, but even still, the opportunities are there if you make an effort for them to be. I find that if you make friends, join a guild, join in on PQs or bosses, you'll have an easier time finding people who want to party up with you. I constantly see people looking for parties and duos to train on smegas and have been asked to party several times as well.

Or they can allow time for discussion and feedback from the community, which is exactly what happened in this thread.

From my understanding, one of the developers has already recently acknowledged that they intend to implement this. Why should it be sent to the rejected section, just because it isn't being added fast enough for your liking? Such a complex feature request isn't going to be added in overnight, especially when there are already projects being worked on. Even you acknowledged just last Saturday that it'll be time consuming to test, bugfix, and go through every quest in the entire game. Patience and understanding goes a long way.

Staff applications are open and have been for quite some time. Why not apply and be the change you want to see in the server?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Munk7

Munk7 Orange Mushroom

Feb 15, 2024
    Male
    3:16 AM
    Page, Cleric, Thief
    I don't like what you like. I'm allowed to have an opinion. Enough said about that.

It's a valid complaint. You like playing solo, I like playing with other people. Again, we like different things. Partying isn't a personalized experience. It's a multiplayer experience, as Maple Story was intended to be.

As far as discussion and feedback are concerned, there are good suggestions that have been open for 4 years. Maybe you think they are bad suggestions. Some of these suggestions are overwhelmingly approved by the community. Some are easy fixes that would literally take less than an hour. Some, like quest rebalancing, could take days or weeks. It's not as if I am demanding the mods do something right now. But 4 years is a long time.

I'm not bothering applying because the team doesn't agree with my ideas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. soft

soft Mano

Jan 18, 2024
    Female
    soft
    Bishop
    bunny
    Again, I never said you aren't entitled to an opinion. I simply pointed out that yours isn't the only one that matters and that certain content isn't made without reason, but because others do enjoy it.

Taking the time to kindly explain why you dislike something and how it could be improved is far more helpful and constructive than just leaving it at "It's bad because I don't like it." Not doing so feels more like chronic complaining than anything.

I'm not quite understanding how, though. Is it still a valid complaint if there are viable solutions in place? People have asked me to party quite often across several different characters without me seeking them out. I offered advice that you conveniently ignored and only pressed disagree on. It seems more like a personal problem that could be chalked up to saltiness rather than a problem with the server itself. I apologize if this sounds blunt but I genuinely think people would be nice in return if you had a better attitude about things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Aimerrhythm

Aimerrhythm Horny Mushroom

Feb 17, 2020
    4:16 PM
    Banan1ce
    Hero
  12. Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    The mapowner should exist neither formally nor informally. An OPed map should be as crowded as possible so that it's no longer OPed.

13. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    5:16 PM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    In a public space, to leave your seat is to relinquish your temporary ownership over it unless you have something denoting your continued use of the space like a bag. The same holds true for map ownership here.

Is it unfriendly for single client players, I would say yes.
    But is it unfair for single client players? I'd say no because options like having a mule account, asking a friend to hold the map, etc is available to the player.

So I would disagree on the proposed changes to the map ownership system. SlimeCry

14. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    maybe make the 888 quest clearable one per daily reset and there wont be such issues.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    5:16 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    you seem to be a new player and looks like you think you know whats best for the server. there are some suggestions that they still discuss about, or it's harder to implement, that's why it takes long to be done, but doesn't mean it was rejected (example dragon elixir for HT)
    how much are you paying to play in here again? chill. Neckson was getting people's money with glitched cubes and i didnt see you complaining.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 1