1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing ML on Linux Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by halfwaysleet, Aug 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Theaceae

Theaceae King Slime

Jul 4, 2021
    Female
    1:11 AM
    Theaceae
    I might suggest removing the intel driver temporarily to force Debian to fall back onto the modesetting driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
    The Modesetting driver should provide better peformance on Intel GPUs manufactured in 2007 or newer. (source here)

Also, try enabling the TearFree option of the Modesetting driver from within your xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    Edit or create the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-gpu.conf

and add the option to your device section:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "TearFree"  "true"
    EndSection

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. MoonLittle

MoonLittle Blue Snail

Sep 4, 2022
    MoonLittle
    Beginner
    Thank you for the tip.

I have tried that out along with with the other tips I have found online:
    • ForceRefreshRate in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/DirectDraw downgrade to 30 FPS.
    • Reset PulseAudioLatency

It is working much better now: Even though there are still minor frame skip / drops and audio lag, it is playable.

3. O Cone

O Cone Snail

Sep 13, 2022
    Male
    5:11 AM
    Thanks for the guide.
    Finally a way for me to play MapleStory, as I am for at least 5 years running Linux-only.

Can't play yet because the website seems offline. Is it alright?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Theaceae

Theaceae King Slime

Jul 4, 2021
    Female
    Theaceae
    You'll have to keep checking for announcements. I know they will post updates in various chat channels, if you keep an eye out on those.

5. justareader

justareader Snail

Sep 21, 2022
    11:11 AM
    I have an issue with my installation, I've replaced all of the DLLs and everything, but when I launch the game, nothing happens. I've waited over 30 minutes.

I get some logs about "find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32" but I read online that it's normal.

I'm running the game through Lutris, using the Lutris install script, enabled virtual desktop and everything and disabled lutris runtime etc

6. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    4:11 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Make sure you are using MAC version of MapleLegends

7. gothiclemons

gothiclemons Snail

Jan 27, 2023
    4:11 AM
    First post, apologies for bad etiquette. So i've tried some things. Lutris, without lutris, my game doesn't open and there's a new entry in the crash log file. Tried all of the troubleshooting steps. This is the mac wineskin

8. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    4:11 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    make sure these are in place:
    1. 32-bit prefix
    2. if not using lutris, launch using terminal. Terminal MUST be in same directory as the executable (aka MapleLegends.exe)
    3. set to windows 98
    4. the two dlls are replaced.
    5. you may need to enable virtual window.

9. atoma

atoma Blue Snail

Mar 29, 2023
    10:11 AM
    Hey! Thanks for the guide, I've installed it in Debian Bullseye and it works! However, I detect 3 things that bother me:

1- The font looks strange, like wriggly
    2- When keeping SHIFT, CTRL or ALT pressed to do something, like attacking, continuously, it only does one time
    3- There's some latency

Does anyone have ideas about how to fix these issues?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'm also on Debian Bullseye. In regards to the font issue, I think you need to have the Microsoft fonts installed or else it falls back to some FOSS font that doesn't look as good in-game. I think the package is ttf-mscorefonts-installer. For your second issue, I don't have that issue. It may be related to your desktop environment. What are you using? I'm on Fluxbox. I don't have any latency either, at least as far as I can tell.

11. atoma

atoma Blue Snail

Mar 29, 2023
    Hey, thanks! I'll try and instal that font package :)
    I use Gnome as Desktop environment. The latency thing, I don't know if I got used to it or it disappeared xD
    Any idea about how to make holding keys work, tho?

12. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    That's probably something you can change in GNOME settings. Otherwise you'd have to change something in X11 config. I don't know what it would be because I've never had that issue.

13. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    Heya, successfully installed maple through wine and all, thanks!
    The only that that still doesn't work is the odd 1366x768 resolution, has anyone been successful in adding this resolution to their possible screen outputs?

`cvt 1366 768` seems to output a just-2-pixels-off result, adding this output won't fix it sadly. Perhaps adjusting the output works?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dm22

dm22 Mano

Jul 16, 2017
    Male
    DMage
    Bishop
    Captivate
    so i have a problem with the extraction part.

"cannot open the file as [xar] archive.
    the file is open as [Cpio] archive."

then a few files says it's missing. and i dont have the drive_c folder? drive_c is now a file

15. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Extract it using the 7z command. Command should be something like "7z x MapleLegends-MAC28FEB2024.pkg" and then "7z x Payload~"
    Other archive tools may work but 7z is known to work with no other optional dependencies.

16. dm22

dm22 Mano

Jul 16, 2017
    Male
    DMage
    Bishop
    Captivate
    "7z x maplelegends.pkg" extracted Payload~ no problem.

I am having a hard time not getting errors when extracting payload I guess.

"7z x Payload~" or even renaming it Payload.xar has errors. 7z will insist it's a cpio file. And then some files are missing.

Attached Files:

17. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    That's really weird. I've done this install process dozens of times across multiple distributions and I've never seen an error like that. Are you trying to overwrite an existing installation or something? I would delete the extracted folder if it exists and try unpacking Payload~ again.

18. dm22

dm22 Mano

Jul 16, 2017
    Male
    DMage
    Bishop
    Captivate
    I have not installed it once.
    Maybe I'm missing a step, or doing something wrong.

1. Download maple.pkg
    2. Extract maple.pkg
    3. Extract payload~
    4. Extract payload~
    ?

19. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Why are 3 and 4 the same? After step 3 you should have a directory titled MapleLegends.app which contains the full install folder. Just to be clear, you're downloading the WINE Mac client, right?

20. dm22

dm22 Mano

Jul 16, 2017
    Male
    DMage
    Bishop
    Captivate
    That's why I'm confused. I think the first post here says to extract twice and rename payload the second time. I did get a directory called maple legends.app, and inside it is a file called drive_c, but it's not a folder. I'm not sure if I'm extracting correctly, but there's no MapleStory.exe in there

Edit: so I've used a different Linux distro and the extraction process has no errors now. I posted 2 screenshots below, and I'm stuck on this part of the instructions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024