1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making FM "Web-searchable"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chew, May 18, 2017.

Are you in favour of this addition?

1. Yes

2. I don't mind either way

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    10:10 PM
    Beginner
    Alright, we have had quite a few suggestions on the topic of owls and the problems concerning searching FM.

However, I have an alternative solution, that:
    • wont stress the server much
    • wont disturb the economy in mesos or NX
    • will still have players searching FM for the item they need
    Solution:
    I suggest we implement some sort of SQL code in the game, which allows info from the FM shops to be pulled out of the game by the staff.
    Then we make a webpage where you can look through a database of all the items currently for sale in FM. (This is not alot of work, I could probably make this half asleep)
    The catch is that you will only be able to see Item name & Price.
    You wont be able to see
    Shop placement, Shop name or Shop owner.
    We add an ingame button that directs you to the webpage, for easy access.
    We limit seaches to a maximum of 5~7 searches per IP and account a day.

How will this affect FM use:
    This way players are still forced to roam through FM to buy a specific item or buy an owl.
    This would also solve the problem with players not knowing prices of items, and would help further stabilising the economy, and help less newcomers getting ripped-off.

This is not nostalgic!?
    But it is though! This solution have many similarities to Basilmarket, which had a big influence on trading in GMS.

Feedback
    Please give me some feedback, I've been thinking of this solution for a very long time.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    Seems like alot of coding for such a small feature first of all.

People that are getting ripped off is not a big issue in my opinion. It's mostly their own fault, because if you put a bit of effort into it you can easily find out what an item is worth. We have price guides on this forum, and also most people are in a guild, in which you can discuss what something is worth. Even if all that fails for them we have a price check section in this forum in which you can post stuff.

If people don't even bother to find out about any of these ways to check a price, I doubt they'd ever find out about a web browser FM searcher. I think it would only be spammed and abused by merchers to find out if there's anything worth looking around for in the FM.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I don't believe a few SQL codes is considered alot of coding, and the webpage should be easy enough imo.
    Anyone from the community could probably do this.
    Hell, I could probably make the webpage.

Getting ripped off is real, has happened to me quite a few times.
    Sure I could have put more effort into finding out the price, but having a fulltime job and school makes me not wanting to spend too much time figuring out what shit is worth.
    Sure would be nice to just type the name of the item to see what shit sells for..

We could add an ingame button that directs you to the webpage, so anyone should be able to find it.

Let's put up a maximum of 5~7 searches per IP and account a day?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    9:10 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    I think it was more that getting the FM data might be tricky than making a readonly DB for it!

5. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I'm sure the programmers here are competent enough to make this.
    Else we could always outsource this part.

This is how I would do it:
    Every time "Open shop" is clicked an SQL line will be executed sending Character name (which will be used as ID), Item name, Item count & Item price
    An timer in the database will delete the items if the shop is not re-opened within 24 hours.

Every time the shop is manually closed, or if it is being altered, then items will be deleted from database using SQL code.

6. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    9:10 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    Sounds like you'd have to grab the packets or make client edits (which is probably a no-go, since a fair chunk of users still don't use the latest current client)... as a prior post said, it sounds like a fair bit of work for reasonably little gain; it's a neat idea, though! :)

7. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    2:10 PM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    As I said before, it will greatly impact the merching.. but I already know that's not gonna be implanted

8. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    A great positive impact would be the goal yes.
    Does the client never get updated? KimberlyKimberly

9. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    LOL I meant to say that im against this because of the changes of merching

10. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Yeah, I wasn't sure how to interprete your comment haha.
    I seems the server is very 50/50 split about change.
    As much as I wish we could all agree on this matter I must respect the fact that much of the community doesn't want any change.
    FM being a shitshow was just part of old school MS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    All we need is to access to this feature through logging in on the MapleLegends website as if we were going to vote. No need for any buttons in game, which is probably impossible to do anyway.

All of this, from adding shops to a SQL database (if not already done so) to being able to make search queries on the database through an online form should be pretty basic I think...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    4:10 PM
    A basilmarket esq site for maplelegends would be cool

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Yeah. Just scrapped that idea, we already have the forum, which people barely use, they are not gonna suddently start using a website outside the forum.

14. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    If by stabilizing the economy you mean completely killing any form of merchanting from the server, which was a huge part of Old school MS, then yeah, it would do that.
    The current economy is totally fine as it is; I really, really doubts the devs would want to implement something that would turn how the market works upside down while it's, as it is, really close to the real old school MS ones that all of us used.

If you don't know the price of an item, you P/C it. Plenty of knowledgeable people to give you the right price on whatever you have.

15. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Thanks for your input. I do respect the fact that many people here want to keep everything original.
    But I also think your incorrect in the statement that this suggestion would kill any form of merchanting.
    Maybe you haven't played any other mmo games before, but I can tell you that there is plenty of games that makes use of a similar system while still allowing for great merching. Also much better than the slow experience old school maplestory offers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    I've played a pretty ridiculous amount of MMOs, and each has their own unique system for merchanting.
    Maple's involves browsing the FM to find deals and resell at a higher price in your own store, as well as buying from people in FM1 who sell cheaper to make money immediately.
    Sure, Maple's might be slow, but it's also pretty high reward. People being able to search for items via browser would basically make people set their item 1 meso under the lowest most of the time or something similar, pretty much flat-lining the prices of every volatile item/consumable in the market.

17. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    This flatlinning you describe is not what you see in games with similar systems.
    I'd say maplestory 2 is a pretty good example if you have played that. The prices are very competitive, and sometimes you can find the same item for 10x times the cheapest price on the market, simply because people want to progress in the game and therefore need their items sold quickly. The same mentality is present on this server too.

18. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    That's what I thought. You could just change the forum market section to allow automated bidding with deadlines and autowins basilmarket style, maybe then it would see more use. This way you also don't have to kill off merchanting.

19. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If merchers are so special and damned important, where are all the people up in arms about the price guide threads because it "hurts merchers"?

It's not even like it's a legitimate business anyway. Call it what it is. The only reason they make money is because they prey on people who don't know the price of something. Nostalgia is just a coverup for keeping more players in the dark and enabling opportunists to make money by not actually playing the game, but flipping items on the FM.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    The only way this would work if is a proper searchfunction is implemented, so for example, you could search for a claw that has 50+ att and requires less than 5 dex.
    If it doesn't support scrolled items and such I don't think it would see any use.
    Alongside auctions there would also need to be support for buyout prices.