1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making FM "Web-searchable"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chew, May 18, 2017.

Are you in favour of this addition?

1. Yes

2. I don't mind either way

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    11:22 PM
    Beginner
    This is not an option since the playerbase is not behind fetching info from the game. It would be a waste of time to keep pursuing this if the majority doesn't want this.
    I'm considering creating this outside the forum, as to further lineout that this is not a game feature but rather a community driven tool.

2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:22 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Who says the playerbase isn't behind the idea? The poll results do not seem to indicate the staggering "Lionheart vs the server" as KimberlyKimberly mentioned earlier before locking my thread which had the exact same idea.

It seems at least a good chunk of players want this, and it would be a tremendous (to quote a great man) improvement to the server as a whole. So screw what the majority wants. I'm rather sick and tired of Argument ad Nostalgia.

You want to really set this server apart from others? This feature will do it and in a good way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    12:22 AM
    Kotone, JellyFish, Yesterday, ApplePi
    Beginner, Islander, I/L Wizard, Bandit
    Unless I got something wrong, I think what the majority is against is something that would replace owls, and the way I see it if the only thing it does is tell you what exists in the market and not even where, people will still use owls... If you add these other features though, it will become an inseparable part of the game play and "savage" the nostalgic theme of the server, which is what people are against.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hero

Hero Mano

Mar 23, 2017
    Male
    4:22 PM
    Thant
    Hero
    Prime
    In GMS, they currently have a web browsing website maple.fm, that helps find all items that are currently in their fms in real time. I truly love the feature, if you need a "price check" compare it to other sellers at the time.

Downside would be people would just keep lower and lower prices to beat competitors but it would come a point where it will remain stable. There isn't enough supply for demand in the server and this would help filter through the stuff you do not need to look for.

I support his function but can live without it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:22 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Probably run not by Neckson but other players using bots and automated scripts to do so, right?

Not necessarily. Because at some point people won't want to drop their prices lower. Call it greed, market sense, just trying to earn more money for your effort, whatever. And the lowest priced items will get sold the quickest. A lot of times if you are just patient and price above the lowest price of items, people may still end up buying your item.

So it's all a balancing act between supply and demand. How desperate or impatient the buyers and sellers are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jelkan

Jelkan Slime

May 15, 2017
    Male
    2:22 PM
    I think a basilmarket style way to sell things would be great, but I do not like the idea of web searchable FM for the reasons other people have listed. It sounds great right now but I think if implemented, it would make the overall experience less satisfying and enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hero

Hero Mano

Mar 23, 2017
    Male
    Thant
    Hero
    Prime
    Yeah the website was ran by players. I have seen this system work in other MMOs but they installed a pop up window in-game to allow searching for market items. I do stand behind this idea.

8. rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    I agree that the basilmarket for private servers is the best idea. It would also give players another option when they buy and sell other than spamming FM/hopping portals/opening shop. I'd be interested in working on something like that with Flask or something.

9. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    11:22 PM
    Beginner
    Who's that?
    I have the tools available to make a solution like this. But I doubt the community would use it without some sort of ingame link.

10. rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Flask is a web-development framework. http://flask.pocoo.org/

I don't think you need to worry about exposure given the activity of the forums. If this many people are willing to look at the forums I bet they would also be looking for a price check/free market section. The free market section has the most started discussions if I'm not mistaken. You just need a visible link and time, maybe an announcement.

11. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    5:22 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
  12. rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Not really. I've looked at some code and it looks pretty similar to python and LUA.