1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skill transparency for bosses like PB

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ainz, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    12:16 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Hi hi!

Just finished watching Eiji's vid on the first 'real' Beaters PB run and I think there were two things that really made it difficult.
    A) The recently changed aggro system in ML preventing the melee attackers from consistently holding aggro. This wasn't game-breaking because there are ways to still hold aggro for melee attackers, it's just more difficult.
    B) The fact that it's rather difficult to tell when PB casts Damage Reflect. I would support this claim with screenshots but I feel like the video provides more than enough vocalization of this fact. This seemed to be primarily caused by the melee attackers' attacking skills clouding the view of PB.

Now I know GMS does a lot of things differently (and in some cases, worse) than the way v62 was coded/designed/implemented, but there are some things that I feel could have a positive effect on the quality of life experience when bossing in ML, one of those things is option to give your (and others') skills a degree of transparency to maintain proper sight on the boss and it's animations/attacks/buffs.

I'm aware this is probably very difficult (or even impossible) to implement on the basic v62 client as we have it now, but perhaps it would be an option to introduce a standardized .wz edit (as users can't do it themselves) which has a given degree of transparency on attacking skills. This would then allow the players in a PB run to keep proper vision of the boss, allowing them to notice both which direction he's facing (which is relevant for certain hard-hitting attacking skills) and whether or not he's currently under damage reflect.

TL;DR: If players attacking skills (so not PB's skills) could get a degree of transparency, it'd be easier to see the boss and thus make judgments about whether to attack/stop attacking (in the case of DR) or taking the proper steps in handling the aggro (in the case of which direction PB is facing).

Am I ever going to participate in a PB run? Highly unlikely, but I figured I'd just leave the suggestion anyways.

Kind regards, sorry for the long read.

Ainz

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:16 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I do agree it would be nice to get "transparency" for newcoming bosses, but still can't agree it's needed.

As one player who played along with history of KMS bossing (from zak, to Empress), whenever neckson releases new bosses, they gave us no any single hint or clue. every guides about bosses were written by players, with their experience (and blood, sweat, failure). and figuring out stuffs related with new bosses, establishing strategy for it, and making it as "guide" was also a huge part of playing maplestory. (especially, for pros, who were on frontmost line).

I do agree PB released in ML nowadays is kinda like impossible to kill with current situation. but we all will try over and over for years, and will eventually do it. Even if it fails, that's also a part of game. for that reason, I'm sadly against your opinion to being able to edit stuffs of PB in source-code dimension.

Losing and trying hard over and over, is also a part of "Story". I believe many pros in this server will try over, and get experience from it, and finally overcome huge wall which kimmy made with evil laugh(LOL i'm joking). I don't want 'revealing source-code for transparency' ruins that fun.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    That's actually a very good point. Since PB was announced I've been quite vocal about my wish for it to be a long time before the playerbase actually succeeds at killing it. I suppose that puts my suggestion in entirely different perspective!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    6:16 AM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I think it is too early to tell to be honest. The players who fought it were mostly going into it blind. There were a few of them who had tested beforehand but it was pretty limited. I think once they do it a bit more they will be able to tell when he is going to use DR much easily. I believe I read online that it is on a timer every 45 seconds? I'm not sure if that is true, or if it is even true here since it could have been edited. But it really will become a thing that players will need to get used to in order to be able to tell the signs. I think if it is still super hard to tell after quite a lot of attempts then maybe it should be reviewed for a change.

5. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    3:16 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    It was our first time running, trial and error is a thing.
    We just gotta keep running til we understand the mechanics
    Dont think we can add skill transparency's anyways, it also makes it alot easier. (we dont have transparent dmg skin)
    It was really fun last night definitely will get it next time

• Like Like x 5
  6. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Glad to hear the actual runners don't consider it problematic! Consider this suggestion void, best of luck to future runs MapleF15MapleF15MapleF15

7. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    6:16 PM
    Beginner
    or if it is possible, maybe put the damage dealt behind the boss instead of infront? ;D

8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:16 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i suffer a bit in first time doing ht 12 man since its a lot of people.. agree!