1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maplelegends is hostile to new and unestablished players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bear, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    10:09 AM
    GarBear
    YES. Thank you! Finally someone who is just addressing the issues instead of going on random tangents and raising my blood pressure.

1) Player x joins our server and makes an archer (one of the 4 core classes)

2) He plays through KPQ/LPQ, enjoying the nostalgia and meeting people along the way.

3) At level 60 he finds out what HP washing is and realizes he only has the option of starting over to access anything of value in 4th job.

4) He quits.

We all lose in this scenario. I'm posting a separate thread with a solution that I think should be acceptable to all parties and then I'm going to bed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    You do realize that EVERY game punishes you. Do you not realize that the cost is TIME? Your character is useless now you need spend more time. You monsters in a gacha game sucks and you chose to prioritize the weaker ones instead of the "stronger" ones now you have to waste more TIME to get the "stronger" ones up to par. Hell you can say LoL punishes you, if you don't put in the hours to get better you will keep getting Losses instead of wins. You don't know what that champion does because you didn't research well time to get punished and not know what they do.

You do not have any idea how games are designed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:09 PM
    Moderator Post
    *Was meant to write this before going to work, but sadly couldn't and now 1 hour later there's another 3 pages...

This thread completely add so much strength into my latest semi rant how its just starting to get impossible to please everyone here. Look how much the opinions are separated. Don't please one of these and you get the 'staff don't listen to the community' and so on.

Seems an often heard complain. People that know me for long time know my opinion of leech. Something i would definitely remove if I were to start a new server again.

This is where my longer replies will begin. This is not only for Legends, but if someone provides feedback/changes that someone don't agree with than someone try their hardest for it to not happen. This don't happen here, but everywhere. If you provide an 'unpopular opinion' you have multiple people going tell you that they don't want the change to happen, and people will make it clear they don't want it to happen.

The agent item thing is what we consider a very unpopular decision, yet we still did it. When we do unpopular changes its 'staff not listening to community' but if we don't listen to unpopular opinions this complaint happen. Again a case of impossible to please everyone.

I will still say it too. I 100% agree that washes are beyond broke and decrease your difficulty by 500% at least, but its not a requirement. It wasn't a requirement in GMS, and its not a requirement here. However, in the end of the day because Neckson's shitty explanation of the lore we don't know what they intended for bosses like The Boss which are outright impossible to kill as a warrior washing or not, due to insane amount of avoid.

Don't disagree. However, Old School MapleStory just didn't had much content to begin with. We already added so many more regions over vanilla v62 to add more content, but in end its still Horntail and nothing more.

It's funny because in 2017 we heard the exact opposite how we kept listening to the new 'flooded' users and not the old users (who wanted keep the game even harder than it is right now). Just another example of just not being able to please everyone like you said, and will forever stay impossible.

Because people don't have the time nor patience anymore. The complaints we get now in 2018 was much less worse in 2014~2016. In 2016 I don't remember anyone complaining about washing nor that the game was hard. The complains I do remember is the lack of WS/CS's and that Gach was a horrible experience. Countless months waiting for 1 WS/CS to pull out. As far as I am aware we have fixed this; I always see WS/CS available now. However, back then there was also much less competition. You had Royals dominating as usual, and us who kept high on the rankings (never ever below 10). Now you have anti washing servers, custom servers, and more and more options for people to pick and more reasons for opinions to change even further, and even more difficulty for me to please everyone.

Legends is losing players because there are easier servers available now that potentially have the things we have to offer, and that's why its getting more and more hard keeping users. Of course there are other problems too, but the difficulty (the grind) as well as problems other servers had the time to fix what we can't fix on a 3 years old database is what is putting us a on major disadvantage. Could easily be fixed with a wipe/second world, but yeah...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    2:09 PM
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    Losing SOME time is entirely fine!
    You didn't know Zakum could make you unable to use skills, so you lose a run and whatever time was spent there since you didn't bring enough All Cure Pots and your Bishop died because of 1/1s.
    You didn't know Horntail could Seduce, so you just got mass seduced and failed a run, losing some hours and exp.
    You didn't know you had to add >>INT<< to your >>Bowman<< until you hit level 70 (That's what happened to me), so you spend the next 30-50 levels adding points almost exclusively on INT because you need to catch up. So after I added 120 points on INT and leveled up enough, it was time to remove everything so I could be as strong as I should. So that's 120 points on INT + around 100 washes. That's 682k NX. That's 136 days of punishment because of bad game design that could be fixed by the admins.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    J> SeemsGood

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    I'm confused aren't games supposed to be a time sink? Is what you just said not just a long process that goes towards my idea of a "time sink".

7. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    Enjoyable time sink. Imagine if the 136 days I spent trying to fix my character I was actually playing it to the fullest. How much better would that be.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    Then while you wait find an ENJOYABLE time sink aka another game or class LOL why is it so hard to understand that you have a plethora of OPTIONS.

Edit: Don't want to play anything other than your class? Well that is your fault for deciding to not find another way to have fun.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    IDK how to reply to a lot of this. Robert Downy Jr... What?

I never claimed you became rich like *poof*. You could have played for 3 years I have no idea. I never claimed to have an idea. You assume, that I assume, and that makes an ass out of you and me. f3.

I don't necessarily agree that people will demand you spoon feed them pqs into 4th job. At that point, it isn't a problem. They have the tools to grind as you and I both agree, and the goals are more oriented around bossing (zak/HT). Also it's not that they can't get through 3rd job. It's by the time they get through 3rd job they hate logging on to the server. It's that the dominance of leeching and the absence of people to train with or PQ with burns people out very quickly. This part of the game sucks, is not rewarding, and people mostly skip it a la leech. 1st job/KPQ isn't like this. Early 2nd job isn't like this. 4th job isn't like this. In all other phases there is cooperation, social gameplay, and interaction.

I have a solution for hp washing; please see my new thread regarding it before it gets blown to dust like this one did.

To your last comment... I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER SAID IN MY OP THAT EVERYONE ELSE IS TOXIC. I NEVER MADE THAT CLAIM IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. I THINK THE STATE OF THE SERVER, CLIMATE, WHATEVER, IS NOT KIND TO NEW PLAYERS AKA HOSTILE. NOTHING ABOUT THIS THREAD FROM MY POSTS OR TITLE HAS BEEN ABOUT THIS. YOU ARE THE 3RD PERSON TO START ON ME ABOUT TOXICITY. I'M SPENDING TIME TYPING UP REASONABLE THINGS I THINK COULD MAKE OUR SERVER FRIENDLIER FOR NEW USERS TO ENGAGE IN. I'M SAYING NOTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTER OF THE PLAYERS HERE, INCLUDING VETS LIKE YOU.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    Maybe you're the one that doesn't know anything about game design, lol.
    "Find another game", good way of keeping the player base.
    "Play a class other than the one you wanted to", yeah, prime example of good game design.
    This game is flawed but it could be fixed, that's my main point. Keeping the bad game design and making the players adapt to it is incredibly dumb.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  11. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Sorry for the impending wall of text.

I related to a lot of points mentioned both in this thread and by other players and staff, and I've had quite a few thoughts on this. But first, some background:

Relating to the OP's sentiments:
    - I'm a 136 NL main (still no bishop/arch mage).
    - Went unwashed till my mid-80's.
    - Played nearly leech-less (about 6 levels leeched in total) between over 400 total levels between characters.
    - Haven't scored a single Chaos Scroll, White Scroll, PAC/PGC, or any single item of value over 20m (I'm still in disbelief).
    - Love to meet new and assist new players to acclimate to the game.

But I also:
    - largely enjoy playing as efficiently and creatively as possible; and
    - if there isn't something more efficient, I'll invent it. I greatly enjoy this.
    - I enjoy PQing when the party is efficient or has my buddies/guildies in it.

To note:
    - Two things attach me to this game: (1) friends, (2) reaching goals.
    - Don't really care about nostalgia; that got me to stick around for a couple weeks - but carried me no further.
    - I decided to begin washing at lv80.
    - Of the 4 friends I began playing with, only 1 still plays occasionally.
    - Of the 50-or-so close friends I made when I started playing, about 2 are still active.

The thing - seriously, the THING that made the difference for me was a guild. I first started in ML with 4 of my friends but, once the game passed it's nostalgic phase, my friends quit. This was Summer 2017! PQ's were packed and we had a good time but the nostalgia wore off and the plain-ol-grind started to kick in. None of us knew all the game metas like prices and grind spots (my friend sold a 106atk stonetooth from perion gach for 1m - RIP) and once things seemed to take too long and their next goal felt too far away, they just got bored. And so they quit.

But I'm still here because around the time my friends and I started to quit (yeah, me too), I joined a guild/alliance (Cafe/Influence). It was really such a revitalization. My guild leader was exited to have my character in the guild in hopes of having me be the next big bosser. Everyone was incredibly helpful with things like training advice, item prices, and everything going on in the game. Not to mention people were genuinely becoming better and better friends with each other. It was such a community and it meant the entire Maple world to us. I went on hiatus to finish my degree, and when I came back, the guild leader had been banned and quit, and basically everyone else followed suit. I basically wandered around, about to quit, when I happened upon a few new friends. Those friends and I went on to create our own guild, California and one of our goals since inception has been to offer a buffer which helps new players to acclimate to the "hostile" and complex gameplay that MapleLegends offers. It's a tough, unfriendly system, especially to unestablished players who join solo - I have no doubt about that. However, I think with the right motivation and backing, it really can be very rewarding. This experience and viewpoint has put me at a middle-ground in this general debate, so:

Through all of my experiences, my personal preference toward the game's state is as follows:
    1. If possible, slightly scale PPQ experience to attract higher level players (personal idea is to increase PQ mob exp significantly).
    2. Make OPQ's goddess's wristband better or tweak its reward stage. The wristband is difficult to earn and is easily ruined.
    3. Offer 'Event Bonus EXP for Parties' during seasonal events.
    4. Finally, create a new-player checklist! Join a party, join a guild, do KPQ/LPQ/LMPQ/OPQ/PPQ/GPQ, attend a GM event, play Omok/Match Cards, get famed, send a smega, make a forum account, join the ML discord. Rewards would need to be fine tuned, but you get the idea. If you ask me, involvement is the best way to get a player committed.

Finally; my sentiments on HP washing. I think that, with the addition of the Ellin Ring and Monster book ring, washing is at a decent state. Yes, you still need to wash to HT at the most optimal level (155), but only to a minor extent with a few HP equips which will barely affect your damage. Did you know you can fairly easily create a 100 HP rat mouth? You generally only need 1 zhelm/scar helm with stats. By the time you're lv155, you'll have bossed enough to have plenty of extras for the one you're not using - and you can scroll that for HP! Sure your attack will not be at its most optimal for HT, but we're talking about a pretty minimal stat sacrifice here for 200 additional HP! Add a dep star, ellin ring, Monster book ring, and washes from 4 base int + shitty int equips, are you'll do fine.

TLDR; guilds have been my maple salvation. PQ's should be tweaked just a bit. HP washing is overly-complex but OK if you have buddies/guildies to help you out.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    oh and one last thing on the whole 'new players are not welcomed thing'

There's always this thread:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/shinos-charity-foundation-for-new-legend-ers.11305/

And I am surprised nobody mentioned it against the argument. It's the most welcoming thing I have seen in a good while, and honestly don't even see an other community doing it right now. People, as well as old users, are donating mesos specially for the said new users, so they have something to start on.

13. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Literally for the last time, the argument is not that the new players aren't welcomed, that the people here are toxic, etc.

The climate, is hostile for new players because

a) they fall into the hp washing pit and are gone forever. Nobody is going to start with 200m worth of int gear to work with. All these people who funnel through KPQ with regular bowman gear and not 20 int bathrobes are going to be gone before they hit 70. Some will be gone because they've had their fill. Fine. Others will be gone because the climate is set up for them to fail as they find out about hp washing and leave.

Or...

b) they hit this wall around 55-110 where they don't have any opportunity to continue playing the game with other people. Other people are established and just buying leech. Leech is SIGNIFICANTLY better than other options at this point for a ton of classes. We could try and change this climate so that isn't the case. Perhaps that could retain some players and keep them interested in logging in.

At this point I'm finished posting on this thread. There are a handful of individuals who have posted meaningful, creative suggestions or provided insight. Others have opted to address random shit that I don't know where it came from. I can see why the latter prevent the former from making any meaningful changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    If that is the case you can just keep playing the "hindered" class of yours still and enjoy your time, stop thinking because you have to wash you can't enjoy or play your class. I only say those two things because you seem fixated that your character is "unplayable" so what other options is there if you aren't going to touch your character? Quit thinking that there's no options left for you. Every game have designs that you will like and don't like.

I do agree that HP washing mechanic is broken and it sucks and takes a lot of time but it is what it is and it enables so many things once you are done doing it. It is still optional and it shouldn't be the sole reason you are not enjoying your class.

15. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Yes he is correct, the best of games push us to play something else with our time. A time sink within a time sink. A grind so intense you are necessitated to grind in another game before the first grind will reach fruition.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    MY MAN,
    If you deadass think that THIS was toxic, then you're going to be crying wolf to mommy a bunch of times still.
    I ain't gonna lie and say this game/server/whatever the fuck isn't toxic but if that's honestly a problem to you go play a different game. There's rivalries, there's arguments, shit happens in a competitive game lmao

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Haha, if only the title could be a changed to sound a tad less misleading.

a) I think HP washing is actually at a decent place - the issue is awareness (hence why I always promote joining a friendly guild to find friends and people willing to help)! If you get a zhelm or scar helm by lv90, get your dep star around lv80, and have a few cheap int equips by lv100 (a 3m earring and a 5m bathrobe will do), you can actually manage HT by lv155 with a few HP equips which won't affect your damage by much.

b) The leech issue is a point you, Kimmy, and I can all agree on. It's a really lifeless factor to the game. Though I think a couple PQ's could be tweaked, I think many people fail to consider the vast amount of training options - I can list out 5 different places to train at any one level for any class for different results (good mesos, exp/hr, party training, solo training, semi-afk'able, etc). In the end, I still think PQs are deserving of some tweaking, but I don't think they're in a terrible place - the difficulty lies in needing a larger userbase to populate them (and Kimmy and staff are working on that by trying to boost our GTOP100 rating).

To the other posts regarding toxicity:
    There's no way around toxic people other than to surround yourself with people who aren't toxic. Toxic people will always exist. The best you can do is try to better them through example by being the better person. The least you can do is avoid them. But most important of all, don't submit.

18. Hyuga

Hyuga Mr. Anchor

Apr 23, 2015
    Female
    6:09 PM
    Proud leader of Aeon
    With the addition of hp rings, hp washing rly shouldnt be that much of an issue now. At least absolutely nowhere near as bad as it used to be. If people are worried new players are gonna quit due to ignorance of class/hp washing requirements before picking a class...then just add a massive warning sign + a hp washing overview at the character creation screen....

As for the god awful player interaction experience throughout 3rd job lvls, i don't really see how there's an effective way to resolve that since it's not exactly a single problem causing this. As many before have mentioned, it is a mix of lack of playerbase at that level, varied timezones so its hard to find people at PQs and/or lack of efficiency since leech is better and people just prefer the lazy hang on rope "gameplay" rather than actually grinding together and chatting or doing a repetitive pq that provides a fraction of the exp leeching would give.

v6x maplestory is mapleleechers, it's interesting to see how people think they can "resolve" a core mechanic of a 3year old server that influences practically everything in game by bringing up the issue that's been brought up 10024958425922255x before but have no tangible solution for it.

19. MarcJacobs

MarcJacobs One forum account each person only please.

Sep 5, 2018
    1:09 PM
    If you are reading the same thread as everyone else has, i'm pretty sure we're trying to solve the leech issue by increasing opq and ppq exp from 51-100 but everyone seems to be against it.

20. MarcJacobs

MarcJacobs One forum account each person only please.

Sep 5, 2018
    1:09 PM
    Since your guildies do opq and ppq, could you ask them why they do it then? Is it for the exp, gloves, etc or are they just trying to grind it out until 65 to leech we. And when you talk about '''leech economy" it will only affect 65-100 since that's when pqs stop. If you care about leeching and making money so much you can still go to skeles and I doubt prices will drop enough that pot cost alone will outweigh money gained especially for arch mages like yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.