1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maplelegends is hostile to new and unestablished players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bear, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonZohair

LonZohair Orange Mushroom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    2:58 PM
    WestGOAT
    I/L Wizard
    Honor
    Did you just say it's a privelege for someone to enjoy the content of a video game?

You literally cannot do HT until lvl 170+ if you don't wash, and good luck grinding to that level if you don't have bossing as an option.

Hp washing isn't optional, it's mandatory unless you wanna fall ridiculously far behind.

Regardless, the topic was toxicity. The individual expressed their concerns with the washing system (not an unpopular opinion) and instead of explain it, a bunch of ppl decided to tell them they're "USELESS" in your own words, and that they should join a different server.

Forget HP washing for a second, this is toxicity. This is not what keeps people in this server. This is the kind of attitude that older players have towards newer ones that drive them away.

I guarantee I have way more washing experience than you. You don't know what it's like to play a ranged class and do potato damage and have to rely on a mage to leech you for 100 levels.

Also, you're a paladin. Neither leech, nor washing has ever been a huge issue for you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    11:58 AM
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    To be able to do content that is end game you have to work for it. What games lets you do everything straight off the bat with out even worrying about "your class's weakness"? Last time I remember there are people that did minimum washing for HT and do perfectly fine like Shinra, Babo, Daniwelle and possibly more.

You want to talk about doing potato damage and washing? I had over 400 points of AP on my paladin AND still grinded to my level. (IIRC I started washing at around level 55 as well) What is the point of talking about experiences when you barely have any idea of what I've done myself? You made a MAGE first and leeched your self while being a potato with your BM, I grinded my ass with 400 AP+ behind on STR and still did everything I wanted and STILL enjoyed my time on this server.

Edit: I washed for 30k and now that allows me and gives me the PRIVILEGE to do ANY boss I want regardless if it is efficient for me or not.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. KhaniaPriest

KhaniaPriest Red Snail

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    LaoLIng
    Warrior
    lame
    I dunno why you care its like you care dude

4. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    This thread has gotten a bit crazy since I left and I'm going to try and address some of the comments made now that I am home and not at work.

I may not do it in chronological order, but there is a lot to unpack here and I'm going to do my best to get my points across.

5. LonZohair

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    WestGOAT
    I/L Wizard
    Honor
    What other game do you have to quit your character halfway through because of a mechanic that is discouraged to be talked about in the maple tips?

What other game has it so that you need to make a character BEFORE you make the character you want just so u can fund it and carry it as its a potato?

What other game encourages you go out for the day and come back to a stranger leveling you 10 times?

What other game let's you grind as much as you want, and despite being a high level and all that effort you put in, there's a timer on how strong you get with the timer being voting for nx for ap resets.

I can work 10x as hard as a hero, be a higher level and watch him white me because all my ap is stuck in hp and int

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  6. KhaniaPriest

KhaniaPriest Red Snail

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    LaoLIng
    Warrior
    lame
    game die go to heaven. No end game bye bye

7. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    This is categorically false.

There is a corsair, Cervantes, who has a T10 ring who I spoke to tonight. He has chosen not to wash and has a base int of 5. Along with 2 other equips that give him 100 hp (I'm assuming dep star and something else), he still cannot do HT until lvl 165. That's 10 extra levels he would have to obtain before he has the right to access the content.

And he has the max possible monster book ring in the game. You literally do need to wash x times right now as a ranged attacker to do HT.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  8. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    3:58 PM
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    Almost everything that I dislike about this game and makes me very disappointed how little the admins on this server did to solve these issues.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. LonZohair

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    WestGOAT
    I/L Wizard
    Honor
    I don't remember the nostalgia of washing on gms one bit.

And even if it was a mechanic back then, who's to say we can't improve on it now?

There's literally a maple tip that says not to overwhelm newer players with talks about washing.

What's the alternative? Let them find out at lvl 100 and quit cause they don't wanna do it all over again

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    12:58 PM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Hmm, I remember a forum post showing that no washing is needed with T10 ring and all the other perm rings. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was no base int/int equips required.

In any case I think the overall spirit of my post stands, hp washing is nowhere near the difficulty before and even then it wasn't even that bad. Around a month and a half of voting.

Upon reading your initial post again, it does seem very reasonable. I think it would have been better received if you focused the topic on the 3rd job lull a lot of classes fall into instead of phrasing it as an attack on all older players.

11. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Please.

The assault of dislikes and random attacks that immediately followed my post was unwarranted. Asking me if I even played the game is insulting. I tried to focus, and refocus in other comments I made, that I have some concrete suggestions I'm hoping we can discuss.

This has devolved into people reading the title and just dumping on me.

12. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Solstice
    It's getting a bit ridiculous in this thread, just a reminder that your personal experience in the game shouldn't invalidate/bring down the importance of others, even if two people had the same exact experience in the game they would (obviously) have different feelings about it.

kind of longish post inc uwu
    I think this is pretty much a fundamental flaw with this version, you are essentially pigeon-holed into hp washing to enjoy the later game content at a reasonable level. To call it a privilege to be able to attempt end-game at all is pretty shitty. A "broken" mechanic should be fixed no? Or at least provide some alternative (which would be the PQ xp buff OP stated here).

It's viable, but not efficient which is exactly the point Bear is trying to make. Everybody is so intent on going the efficient way that there's nobody around who actually wants to PQ, because who would wanna do that when you can just buy leech?
    Spending time to try to get a party together, then spend more time to actually finish the PQ?
    What a fucking joke. Why would anybody do that, just buy leech smfhhhhhhh

Giving PQs a xp bonus promotes actual fucking gameplay, which many of you see as just an easier route introduced, but why punish people that actually want to play the game instead of brain-dead leeching?
    Did anyone consider why the popular voice on the forums is mostly veterans is because a lot of new blood is (probably) driven away by mages2win, lack of other newbies, and by the hp wash mechanic (which is a separate issue idk why this is being brought up so much here fuck off it's about PQs).

Last I heard TT30 was 70m (2-3 wks ago I think? Might've been bamboozled), and considering how NL is one of the most popular classes sounds like your end-game is going to shit. If you want an active server with actual new players coming in and not just current players making mules or mages or whatever the fuck next class they wanna nx wash their brains out on, then I'd suggest giving low-level content a small boost.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear

Also, FWIW, Monster book ring is my single favorite addition to the game in the ~6 months I've been here. It addresses the hp washing issue to a degree. It provides players an opportunity to actually play the game to make progress; I myself enjoy hunting for cards and seeing my ring/associated stats increase. It rewards people for exploring and finding new areas to farm cards, areas they might never have been to before. People will even team up with friends, be social, and hunt for cards together. That's wonderful.

Bottom line, that is the whole goal I think we should identify, agree on, and strive for. Giving people opportunities to play the game in a meaningful and progressive way will encourage them to log on well past the initial KPQ nostalgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    12:58 PM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I'm not sure I quite follow. With an inflammatory title like this, what did you expect? The title is the first thing people see.

15. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    This is really well put and I appreciate you keeping the topic on track.

Players are essentially skipping 3rd job by having someone else play the game for them. If this wasn't a private server I'd be less upset, but we (the developers) can literally change things to make this not the case. It's bizarre to me, thinking about the level of cognitive dissonance required to say "don't make the game easier, it isn't meant to be easier. we want it to be hardcore and challenging" and at the same time see no issue with players just leeching through the game with mesos. There is nothing challenging about that.

A player could literally just vote, log on and cash in gacha, and use the profits to purchase leech. They could entirely skip the game. That's a problem with a player base this small because people who actually do intend to come and play the content are screwed over when they can't do PQ's or find training partners.

16. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:58 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I feel as though my comments and actions have been taken very out of context.

First off, that comment was made jokingly. I have tons of characters, a 100+ chief bandit, 160+ paladin, 160+ fire poison, 160+ corsair. Of which I have only leeched the corsair. The rest have been trained till their respective levels. So its completely possible to train through 3rd job and also get to a decent level of HP (at least as a warrior) without any funds or leeching.

Second, looking into what I'm selling without knowing how I've played this game the past year+ is terribly inaccurate. I've spent most of this game poor af. I've never had more than 100m the whole time I've been playing this game. Until I reached level 150 on my Pally, I never had more than 50m. Was it cus I was buying leech? Nope. I just didn't have a source of income. But I managed to train and get decently equipped. This is all without a mage. I finally caved and made a mage, because I wanted to make a ranged character with tons of int. Is that necessary? Also, a big no. I just wanted to do it cus I already had an attacker, and this was a long term project. I've only recently had my stroke of luck with chaos-ing PACs the past 2 months or so. So if you want me to paint me as this filthy rich staff member, I really wasn't. My gear was all average at best, and considering how long I've played the game it was pretty sub-par.

Third, adjusting PQ values and promoting grinding. We've recently gone to readjust PQ values and also made map spawn changes to promote grinding. We touched PPQ, OPQ, a bunch of pre-3rd job, and 3rd job maps. We wanted to deter leeching and promote grinding. The feedback so far has been great, and if you still think it's not enough, then let us know. But so far your OP seems to be more along the lines of these things aren't being done, when they very much have already been done.

We've also acknowledged these problems and have tried to combat it, so to say that the server is "hostile" is totally off the mark. Since, we as staff, have been trying hard to solve this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Sorry I couldn't fit, "The current maplelegends climate, as a function of it's content and not necessarily player base, is hostile to new players." into the title space.

I mean really, I'm not attacking an entire server or even a portion of the people here. I'm trying to point out that the current state of the game is hostile to new and unestablished players. If you read the OP, nowhere in there do I attack anyone in any way, shape, or form. My point is that the game is, on one hand philosophically geared towards keeping things as pure as possible including all of the difficult and grindy parts of maple. On the other hand, it doesn't achieve these goals to any meaningful degree. If you have to spend 2-3 hours sitting at LMPQ to find a party, it doesn't matter what effort you are or are not willing to put into the game. You can and WILL get burnt out. That's a problem.

18. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Well your joke was very accurate. That is all people do. You yourself sell items and accept leeching hours someone will give you in the price. I'm not here to personally attack or single you out, but I'm not pleased that you are trying to take the high road like this. Honest and open discourse is important to me. Last point is, I didn't include your comments for any reason other than to argue that some of you are out of touch with what some of these new/unestablished players are dealing with. You aren't going to be able to understand the present difficulties they face when the majority of your interactions are not with them. Your interactions are with players buying/selling/making endgame items. That's perfectly fine, but I implore you to keep an open mind to what I'm trying to share here.

Again, to every single high level player who feels personally attacked, I'm not telling you how to play the game. You are entitled to play however you wish, whether that's doing HT, trying to reach a new attack range goal, etc. You don't need to play inefficiently if that's important to you. What I AM asking and arguing for is that there be other avenues to play the game that aren't COMPLETELY inefficient and a waste of time. You can continue to buy/sell leech and receive the highest EPM possible at any juncture in the game. Why can't unestablished players without your resources have an avenue that is ~50% as efficient?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  19. MarcJacobs

MarcJacobs One forum account each person only please.

Sep 5, 2018
    It's pretty obvious your adjusted values aren't enough, go to the party quests you mentioned during the peak of Legends hours and see how many people are requesting to Party Quest. If you're lucky you can get one party out of the entire server. Also you wanted to deter leeching and promote grinding for pre-3rd job and 3rd job maps, I would like to know what maps those are and if people train there. Mannequins if you're melee, yet everytime I go there, even during peak hours in the summer, I would maybe see 2 to 3 maps full. I'm guessing if you're a mage priest/i-l, you are the few classes that might be at gallos and if lucky himes with a partner. But what about all the other classes? How many people actually train from 65-120? I know it might be anecdotal but I don't think I have ever seen a hermit level 108-120 at skeles or newts, a completely dead map in which no class ever decides to train. Where is everyone training then if feedback so far has been great? I'm still not sure why people are attacking GarBear's opinion in buffing party quest experience, it's no secret pqing on this server is almost completely dead. Why doesn't a gm just sit a character at OPQ and PPQ maps and see how many people go there? There was a user by the name iara who would smega quite an excessive amount to even get 5~6 people on this server to OPQ. It's not as if veterans are even hurt by the PQ changes, why are they so invested in saying no? Are they going to complain that newer players have it easy that Shaolin Temple has been released and they only had Skeles/OB4 to train on? If you care so much about the popularity of the game, why not make the game play more engaging.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    I am aware of the changes to OPQ/PPQ. I think those are positive improvements but not sufficient as evidenced by the continuous stream of players unable to find a party for either.

An idea I posted earlier, and is especially relevant for PPQ, would be to add scaling exp to the current exp. An example would be, every level past 55, you get a 3% increase in your exp reward for finishing the party quest. That way players who are lvl 75 for example and probably just looking to WS leech, would be able to PPQ with a higher degree of efficiency than when they were lvl 55. The benefits would be two-fold: you would have an avenue to play at lvl 70, 80, 90, all the way to lvl 100 without just leeching. It might not be as efficient as leeching but it would be viable and players would be encouraged to partake. Secondly, we could have players at those levels playing with lvl 55 - 65 players. Whether it be a guildie, a friend, or just a random person you wouldn't normally interact with, the end result is players playing the game together. That's valuable. Rarely would a lvl 90 have any incentive to train with a lvl 60, but here we could create and promote that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.