1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mage 2nd job

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by yuvalsan, Sep 23, 2018.

1. yuvalsan

yuvalsan Slime

Dec 22, 2017
    Male
    10:53 AM
    yuvalsan
    Islander
    Hey i want to make a mage and i have a few question for the path im going to take.
    can someone tell me the differences between the different 2nd jobs? like which one is the easiest to start at?
    what are the advantages and disadvantages of each 2nd job(also for late game).
    Im new to all the HP washing/MP washing so is it necessary? and if so how do i do it?
    and one more general question i see a lot in post here about leeching for mages and that its a good way to earn money, what exactly is it?

2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    2:53 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I/L is the easiest. You can go to gs2 at 40 (weak to lightning) and then to gallos (ice strike is fast).

Clerics are the second easiest due to heal but slow after 90.

F/P are the worst class until 76 (^:
    But you can still poison brace the map

I/L and F/P at 4th job have the same advantages/disadvantages for the most part since they're a reflection of each other. Both will require you to make a hs mule.

Bishops have no need to make mules but are slightly limited in terms of mobs.

Hp/mp washing isn't required but mp washing is recommended if you don't make a hb mule. Idk too much about 2 hit leeches but it's still the most lucrative means to make money on the server

3. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    3:53 AM
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    isaaac
    what about death teddies at lvl 55
    but yes, f/p until that point is slow af, basically just pqing
    start mp washing at 110-130, basically you put ap into mp, then take it out of mp and put it into int, you gain like 90+ mp from it each time

4. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    9:53 AM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Clerics are easy to level 85 since you just stand still and press 1 button, they're hard after that to get to level 120. They are the weakest mage class (still better than any other class in grinding at 4th job), but also the only really useful one at bosses.

As isaactsai stated, the other mages need an hs mule (level 81 priest) to increase their exp gain.

Don't mp wash for now. If you ever want to, level 140 is not too late to start. The only reason it's used is because people don't want to use hb mules. You use an hb mule to increase your max mp and since you'll be using % based pots, using hb significantly reduces pot cost.

Many stories short: if you're just looking for a 2nd job class: cleric is the easiest to level 85, I/L is easier to get further. F/P is the hardest second job, but it has the strongest single target damage and is slightly stronger than I/L at the end game. Clerics are cheapest.

About the mp washing: later start means more mp gain as mp gain is increased by base int. I started mp washing my bish at level 165 and will have 30k base mp around 187. I had 30k mp with hb at level 168.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    youre wrong until the last line
    if you do make an hs mule (lvl 81 priest) grinding is much quicker for f/p and i/l at 4th job, the current meta is shaolin based, and the less hits the better. Mages are also beyond underrated in bossing, mages can cleave really well for horntail, and zak arms, and like you said f/p has pretty decent 1v1 damage, and even i/l does too, just a bit lower. If you are going to wash, i really do think 140 is too late, but its still doable

6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    @tilli yeah dt is nice but I actually skipped that entire part because I was leeching myself with my priest (it's faster than training with magic claw).

But yeah basically as the two have stated above, don't mp wash too early if you wish to make a mage. Don't add any points into luk either. It's really for efficiency's sake x)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    You're saying that I'm completely wrong, but the essence of my point is that clerics are easier to level 85 because that's my experience. You said yourself that F/P is really slow (it is known), and an I/L has to put more effort into his grinding as he needs to move around a lot.

About the bossing: I agree that mages are underrated, but don't try to sell them as being as valueable as other attackers. I've put my reason in a spoiler because it's sort of off-topic (this is supposed to be about 2nd job right?)
    At zak they're good at the arms, but lack dmg at later stages which are much harder to take down. Other classes can cleave too while having better 1v1 dmg. You'd rather just utilize your bish at the arms and have attackers in your party to take down the 3 bodies (while also killing the arms at the beginning, obviously), which are the "hard part" of zak.
    At ht, you don't want too much cleave dmg since multiple body parts will cause nightmares for your team (mostly mages due to dispells, but the mass seduces are no cakewalk either), meaning the amazing dmg of mages can only happen for about 1/3rd of the main body. Also that single target note of mine was about 2nd job.

As for your 4th job point: 100% correct. F/P and I/L are way way way better when it comes to grinding and outputting damage. Clerics are supposed to be supports and therefore have less damage (as I stated in my first post, but maybe not clearly enough).

Anyhow, I don't want this turning into a fight or whatever. I mistyped the hs mule level; my bad and I fixed it (just like the + after lvl 85, that shouldn't have been there. Thank you for pointing that out), but I don't see much reason for you to say that I was completely wrong.

My point with not being too late if you start mp washing at level 140+ is that you can still reach the 30k base mp. You won't have the 30k for a while, but you can still do it without sacrificing any damage.

About the leeching (I missed that part): the idea is that you use your ultimate (4th job) attack to quickly kill a lot of monsters, gaining a lot of exp. When you have someone else in your party that is within 5 levels of the monster that you're killing, that person will gain exp too.
    Example: I'm a level 150 character and I kill a level 70 monster. If there is a level 65 character in my party, he will gain exp from the kill even though he did not do any damage.
    Since mages are the best mobbers (multi-target killing machines) in the game by far, mages are used to sell leech; effectively training someone without them having to move. They will obviously pay you for your efforts.

8. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    yeah my bad, youre right that theyre easiest to level to 85, between that and the last line i meant.
    As for your spoiler, i'm not that well-geared, yet i do more damage than a decent few attack characters i run zak with, i even white (do the most damage to) zak body sometimes. You're somewhat right about the horntail thing, if you have a competent party though, it's doable.
    not trying to start a fight, i just dont want new players to get the wrong idea

9. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I don't agree with you and I'd love to continue this conversation, but I don't think this is the right spot. I'll pm you :)

To op: I hope you have enough info to work with here, else I'd gladly explain more. I'm sure TillimdeadTillimdead would too!

10. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    12:53 AM
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Hi, I've had a 4th job I/L mage, Bishop, and currently have a Lv115 F/P.

F/P, with the right resources, is by far the fastest option to reach 120, but is also arguably the most difficult and expensive:
    • Lv30-50 will be tough. No getting around that. PQ, quest, or grind.
    • With access to strong equips and my HS mule, I kept up ~5% exp/min from lv60-78. This could still be improved.
    • Lv78-115, I managed around 25m exp/hr, which was about 13%/minute early on and is still about 2%/minute at level 115 (note: this is with access to high level, alternate characters to help "finish" off poisoned mobs).
    • Those exp rates are simply unreachable by either I/L or Clerics.
    • It required a lot of planning and access to characters and equipment to achieve this.
    I/L is the simplest and easiest class to reach 4th job.
    • Super straight forward. There are specific maps that are effective to train at. Just grind away at those maps.
    • Not very expensive to train.
    • Optimized with access to an HS mule.
    • Still pretty fast training all around but can get really slow during the "hard levels" (lv65-75, lv110-120).
    Cleric is the cheapest and also relatively simple to reach 4th job.
    • Almost no potion cost during 2nd job as you can train without magic guard and heal yourself for damage taken while attacking.
    • Simple training strategy too, just grind away at certain maps and later on find parties to train at certain maps.
    • You get HS - this is pretty huge and makes for good enough reason to make a priest any day.
    • Certain levels are really dependent on who you can find to train with you. Lv100 - 120 can be hell if you can't find appropriate training setups.

I don't have too much input on late game outcomes for these classes, as I had never really main'ed them. They were all just fun to play and train for me. :)
    The rest of your questions were answered in previous posts. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    the question is though, is how fast f/p is after 55, enough to be the quicker option to 120 despite how slow it is until 55 OnionF6

12. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    12:53 AM
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Tbh, f/p didn't feel that much slower than I/L or cleric from 30-55, especially since it's just a few of the earlier levels. However, it felt immensely faster than either from lv55-120, but required help from my other characters to act as finishers. Lv55-75 I trained at vikerolas then at the shaolin swordsmen (not monks) - both were much faster than death teddies, mainly due to the map layouts. Depending on the friends or characters you can train with, you can go to forest of towers to train at monks as early as lv72, which is like 20%/minute at that level (!!). In the end, f/p required a lot of active, thoughtful playing, a lot more potions and resources, but waaaay less overall time to get to lv115 (and lv120+ accordingly).

The repeated caveat here is that in almost any situation, training an F/P will be the most expensive option. Additionally, though I still think it'd end up the fastest, it's only immensely faster if you have access to high level characters from a main or from friends to help you train.

13. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    well i'm really not up-to-date with the current meta tbh, and when i was leveling i basically just had myself and the little bit of money i had for pots
    i also didn't have much when i made my hs mule, and ive never even attempted making an i/l
    but i can say once i started petri misting (slower than the current meta apparently) it was dumb fast. i just got a priest to come hs me for free leech, and i went to town, 4th job in no time
    i can say without doubt its much faster to lvl from 81-120 on f/p, because even when petri misting was the fastest option, i was still getting more eph than my i/l friend of a similar level, but as far as im aware, the i/l meta is still the same speed while f/p training has gotten faster

14. OP
    OP
    yuvalsan

yuvalsan Slime

Dec 22, 2017
    Male
    yuvalsan
    Islander
    Well i don't have funds or help.
    I think i'll go with I/L but thank y'll for the help.
    Do you guys have a guide you recommend for I/L?

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Here are two that are on the forums. Either works just fine.
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/ice-lightning-mage-guide.12054/
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/yesis-archmage-i-l-guide.17097/

If you want to train fastest, I suggest you to skip all the PQ after 25 and grind it out. You can go to gs2 unfunded if you're close to or have maxed your lightning spell (~lv40). Don't worry about the level of monsters there. My I/L trained there at around lv35. You can just stay there and be 3rd job in no time :)

**Don't forget to e̶x̶p̶l̶o̶i̶t̶ use NLC pots such as grilled cheese

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    Hiyo
    Camper
    For i/l 2nd job:

1) Put 1 SP in Teleport
    2) Max Thunder Bolt
    3) Max MP Eater
    4) Max Teleport
    5) Max Meditation
    6) Max Cold Beam
    7) Extra SP anywhere

Putting in 1 SP in teleport gives you that extra mobility (but level 1 Teleport is somewhat expensive in your early levels)

Thunder Bolt is your primary training skill in 2nd job until 7x or 8x. Then maxing MP Eater will be very helpful as it cuts down a lot of pot usage by having a % chance to steal MP from the enemy mobs which recovers your MP.

Max Teleport will mean more mobility (teleport has a bigger range) and also cheaper mp cost.

Meditation is a useful skill you'll use till level 200 as it is a free +20 Magic Attack and is a nice boost to your damage.

Slow and Cold Beam are usually not used/ignored but Cold Beam can be useful in clearing out Area Bosses such as Faust/Stumpy/King Clang etc as it is your primary 1v1 ability in 2nd job. Slow is useless cause the mobs you'll train at all have ranged attacks around levels 40/50+ and Thunderbolt's range is small, so slow does nothing significant in training.

Training Spots:

Levels 30-40:

Brown Teddies, Jr. wraiths, Chronos are all good places to grind at those levels, your main attack will still be magic claw up until your Thunder Bolt is level 18+ then it starts being decent.

Levels 40-45:

Truckers are good as they're weak to lightning and they drop a Yellow Umbrella which is a good lukless weapon if you do not have the funds for a Nocturnal Staff or Maple Staff.

Levels 45-80:

Ghost Ship 1/2/5 (or MP3 if you have a party) are good areas to level at, easy map rotations and Slimies (Ghost Ship 2 mobs) are weak to lightning, which makes it easy to clear the whole map in a few seconds.

Party Quests (More fun than grinding and less exhausting too) :

35-50 Ludi PQ, nice option if you have people to do it with, especially around 35-40.

45-55 Ellin PQ, a super good and rewarding PQ, doesn't take too long to clear for 100k exp every run.

51-70 Orbis PQ, my favourite PQ but hard to get people to do, pretty sure you can find some people.

51-70 Ludi Maze PQ, Fast clears, good way to make some money by selling those watermelons and pops to the npc.

55-100 Pirate PQ, a very good PQ for the lower levels up until 7x, then it starts to get slower.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    yuvalsan

yuvalsan Slime

Dec 22, 2017
    Male
    yuvalsan
    Islander
    wow, Thanks! just need to wait for the server to come back up and im on my way :D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1