1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making the game HD

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Nasuma91, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nasuma91

Nasuma91 Orange Mushroom

Jul 31, 2017
    Male
    12:25 PM
    Amusan
    Hermit
    Babure
    Hello Kim,

I've noticed other servers have made their client into 720p. I was wondering if that would be a possibility with this server. I think it makes the game look cleaner and a lot of people would enjoy.

Nasuma

2. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    2:25 AM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    nah man the shitty pixels are nostalgic

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Gloryruins

Gloryruins Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2017
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    I like the pixels that feels nostalgic but I support that you can use a HD mod to improve your graphic

4. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    1:25 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Well i agree if the change can be made optional (like a patch or a setting option), because there are ppl that play in low gadgets... making it total hd it may brought problems to ppl that doesnt have good comps and are actually playing so.. i suppose this requires a lot of thinking.

5. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    5:25 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    The change in resolution wouldn't affect how the game looks but rather how much you could see at once (bigger window), but I'm not sure that's supported in v0.62.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:25 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    HD? Let's do it in Blue Ray baby.

7. OP
    OP
    Nasuma91

Nasuma91 Orange Mushroom

Jul 31, 2017
    Male
    Amusan
    Hermit
    Babure
    Well there is [REDACTED BY STAFF] which is like ver. 0.05 and it supports the larger window. If it could be made to support multiple resolutions that would be great.

8. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    11:25 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    That server you are talking about is actually using v62 client at its core, which they have stolen the source and its client from other private server.
    But to get back to your question, yes it is technically possible to add in higher resolution client because it has been done before. It's just that one would need to have a good knowledge about how to edit the client, which I should be able to do it hopefully in the future...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    1:25 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    You can do it Davi toadS <3

10. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    9:25 AM
    null
    Beginner
    null

you can't "steal" code

11. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    6:25 PM
    Dark Knight
    Project
    You have a very interesting avatar my friend.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    You linked to a wikipedia page that explains an expression, which doesn't mean much except an ideology.

I think it's stealing when someone forks a closed-source program, after signing an agreement not to use it for any other server, without permission from devs.

Also, I'm not sure since I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling that source codes count as Intellectual Property.

13. Gloryruins

Gloryruins Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2017
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    lol just noticed we got the same avatar :3
    I found this avatar on google and I like it because I main a dk XD

14. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    well, it means a lot, since it's widely and generally accepted by those who care about this kind of thing (software developers/hackers/crackers/&c.)

you do realize that the client for this server (and all maplestory private servers) are forks of a closed-source program which is obtained after a legal agreement with Neckson (usually referred to as a "ToS") to not do exactly what you all are doing here?

people who do creative work have a special disdain for so-called "intellectual property", hence my dismissiveness towards it; i'm not a lawyer or a politician, so i (and most people in the world) could really care less if something is "legally IP"

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    11:25 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Not sure why you are complaining about the legality if you are playing on a private server to begin with. You are right though because the client is indeed created by neckson while majority of server has been built on top of odin guys made when they created the first private server. However, what makes cases like these different is that people are doing that purely for selfish reasons. At least when odin was leaked, it fueled to grow the private server community that you know and love to this day, and people reverse engineering the client has allowed people to support even wider range of versions that could be relived again. But people like these? Their only objective is to find the easiest way possible to start the server only for themselves. My point was that it really sucks to see that once a thriving private server dev community now is turning each other backs for their own gain.

So in essence, you are right that it is not technically "stealing" but I think there is another term for it
    hmm... a dick move?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    i wasn't complaining about the legality, i was actually doing exactly the opposite: showing that adherence to legal norms of right and wrong is either wrongheaded or, in this case, straight up contradictory.

you know that OdinMS (and, by definition, all of its derivatives) is AGPLv3 licensed? OdinMS was never "leaked", it was licensed with the express purpose of being FLOSS, and the AGPL is designed to ensure that people who make modifications and share them with other people (including by letting them play on, i.e. access, your server) contribute back to the maplestory-based free (as in libre, not as in $0) software community. "legally speaking", every server that runs OdinMS code or any derivative of it is legally obligated to share the full source code of their modified (or unmodified) version with all of their users.

now, like i said, i'm not here to pick legal nits, but the point is that in one case we're talking about Neckson's use of copyright law to stifle people's freedom and to stifle innovation, and in the other case we're talking about the OdinMS team's use of copyright law (the AGPL obviously invokes copyright law in order to legally function) specifically to ensure people's freedom and allow innovation.

the problem is that most servers (like this one) don't care about the legal implications, and much worse yet, don't give a shit about the ethical implications of using OdinMS's AGPL-licensed work in a freedom-and-innovation-stifling way (closed source &c.).

this is literally exactly my point.

...and now you're contradicting yourself. people using the code for what they want is not selfish (c.f. here for a list of basic freedoms) as long as they keep is open-source and free/libre. i agree with what you're saying here if you mean to say that they SHOULD be open-sourcing all of their innovations, but otherwise this simply makes no sense.

17. OP
    OP
    Nasuma91

Nasuma91 Orange Mushroom

Jul 31, 2017
    Male
    Amusan
    Hermit
    Babure
    If there is a possibility for you to make this game and version support a higher resolution, I would a appreciate it as well as others would too. Plus it would make the game look cleaner and separate us from the competitors aka [REDACTED BY STAFF].

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
  18. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit

19. tenryuwu

tenryuwu Red Snail

Apr 27, 2019
    Female
    12:25 AM
    TenBuggirl
    Warrior
    i mean, unless its open source then yeah, code can be stolen.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    did you read anything of any of my posts in this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.