1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix mapowner kill stealing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Foxes, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    11:35 AM
    Scenario: User unable to 1h kill enemy on map enters map, widdles down enemy, higher level user enters map, kill steals monster they were in the process of attacking by getting last hit, and gets mapowner then requests the user leave.

This can be done by higher level players stalking and following / griefing lower level players in an attempt to get them banned. I have directly seen and experienced this happening to me.

My suggestion would be to only allow a user to get mapowner of a monster if they were the first attacker on the monster who did damage, or assign mapowner to the first attacker of the monster in the event that they have attacked in the last 15s.

As it currently stands this is GM supported and enforced kill stealing / griefing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    6:35 AM
    599031104078479364.png Screenshot everything and make a report, its basically harrassment/griefing.

3. Danny

Danny Slimy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:35 PM
    ZerkMania
    Dark Knight
    Active
    Why cant people just party for gods sake

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    This has happened to me as well at wolf spiders. I found an empty map, was solo grinding so began killing to take map ownership. Bishop comes in, pops a gene before i can get a kill and tells me to cc so they can sell leech.

407618617811927063.png

5. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    2:35 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    i really feel that mapowner should be removed and ksing be allowed for nostalgia... that way people wont stick to the same maps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. smaug

smaug Red Snail

Jan 20, 2016
    Male
    2:35 AM
    Beginner, Assassin
    Perhaps also a command that allows the mapowner to restrict other player to do any damage to the map to prevent kill stealing..

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    How to destroy the community and create rampant toxicity and griefing 101: Oh i dont like you. Let me bring my bishop main and start ksing you.
    596055653303320597.png

8. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    on which map did it happen?

9. OP
    OP
    Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Map of occurrence is irrelevant. This could happen on HHG1 with users griefing new players, or on 7f with trolls last hitting 200k+ hp monsters that a user widdled down to 10k, or as another user mentioned, a bishop kill stealing in in WS, a map where users at the level of the monster generally take 5+ hits to kill with good equips.

10. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    3:35 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    A suggestion in mind would be for there to be two conditions to be met in order to be registered as the map owner.
    Condition #1 - First player to enter the map(timer for condition #2 starts)
    Condition #2 - Kill a monster within a minute or two.

The first condition is just a safety net to prevent situations similar to what occured to kanade from arising since ample time is given for the first player to take out one mob.

11. OP
    OP
    Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Another potential solution would be, when there is no owner, and a user attacks a monster and does damage, they're given a temporary reservation, e.g., 30s, and only they can get mapowner until they get a kill or the timer expires. If a different user kills a monster the reserved user attacked, the reserved user gets the ownership. When the user loses reservation from not killing, there's a cooldown of say 1m on reservations for the map, at which point it's a normal free for all.

In general, separate to the suggestion above, mapowner should also not be assigned based on last hit, it should be assigned based on whiting the monster, provided the one who whited the monster attacked the monster in the last 30s for example (e.g., so palis / fp mages can't afk and get mapownership when someone else attacks).

12. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    well I bet it’s a leech map

13. OP
    OP
    Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    "Leech maps" are just maps with high mob density, and easy traversal, the same as a meta training map. There's a reason most meta training maps are also meta leech maps. It sounds like you're trying to excuse this kind of behavior by saying it's a leech map so it's ok.

14. Bambo

Bambo Stone Golem

Jul 26, 2017
    Male
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    1:35 AM
    FPBambo
    F/P Wizard
    Spirit
    Great idea, too bad people can abuse this by making a bunch of low level mules and camp all the maps in every channels and start making map selling business or something
    I'd say within 10 seconds. Enough for some buffs and kill 1 mob.
    If you can't kill a mob within that 10 seconds, it's not worthy to grind in the map anyway.
    Maps like Jr. Newties and stuff is fine if you cant 10 seconds a mob. Simply because nobody comes there anyway pepega

15. OP
    OP
    Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Maps like mannies used to be the meta at around 55+. At the lower levels, it would take more than 10 seconds to kill an enemy, especially with bad luck with mob targeting. Additionally, maps like 7f or 5-6, unless you're pretty high level, can take more than 10 seconds to kill a monster unless you just go after the fish.

16. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    8:35 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Now that's a disgusting leech mage.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    the maponwer is fine,we just need more channels

18. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Wierd. I thought map owner worked specifically to prevent this from happening.

But if you can't kill a monster fast enough, should you really be training at that map?

I think mapowner should be changed so that it is granted on hit instead of kill.

19. Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    1:35 PM
    I/L Wizard
    I agree that it should assign on hit (not miss tho). In OP's case, I am assuming mapowner was already theirs, in which case they should have screenshotted it right then and there (or better yet, recorded the map steal). THAT is what mapowner is for, giving you proof to show the other player and to show staff.

Furthermore, I think only 1 map should be owned per IP.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    "But if you can't kill a monster fast enough, should you really be training at that map?"
    I've described above, but meta maps for training generally require more than one hit. Third job especially the exp to hp ratio, and hp compared to potential damage is so out of sync compared to most of 2nd job that 2-3 hitting monsters is essentially a dream until you're at least 10-20 levels above the monster. E.g., wolfspiders have 27k hp if I recall correctly, and most jobs between 75-85 will take about 6-10 mob hits or 3-4 single target attack hits, presuming the user has good equips. This gets worse the higher level you get as monsters hp scales far past what your damage can output, until 4rd job where monsters hit a cap of ~220k hp in showlin. The only jobs that can output 200k fast enough early 4th job to quickly establish ownership are palidins (or mm), and even then, hammer has such a large delay after attacking and being able to follow up and knock out the remaining ~20k hp that a nefarious user could easily watch the user hammer the enemy and kill steal them on the last hit while they recover. What I'm essentially trying to say is, once you hit 3rd job + users have to train at significantly lower leveled areas, or against monsters that take 5-10 hits. A kill stealer can easily snipe last hit on a similar leveled character, or bring in a higher leveled character just to snipe the map.
    While with 6 channels we are cramped, the issue is not that we need more channels, the issue is we need more meta viable maps. Sadly recent balance changes have done very little to improve training for 3rd job +, and just make more maps leech viable. Respawn rate changes to large maps that need at least 4+ characters to effectively control does very little other than make it more leech viable. Most users are unwilling to attempt to train in 4+ person parties as it requries too much organization etc., and just doesn't fit with the current mentality set by the mapowner system.

• Agree Agree x 3